Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was wondering what max markings are on the trance seatpost. A reverb has a limit of 80mm but some manufacturers will spec a limit of 100mm or even 120mm. Using less post in the frame could void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmal26 View Post
    Question for the lucky ones who have their TX29. What it the minimum seatpost lenght that needs to be inside the frame. I am trying to decide if I can get away with a Large frames size instead of the XL. Thanks
    I can only speak for the X/L. Seat post is 30.9 X 375.

Minimum insertion line is 120mm.

I also went back and forth, between Large and X/L, but in the end went X/L because I have a long upper body. Everyones different, and will have different results.

Whichever you get you will love it!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm not familiar with Giant wheels. Anyone know if the X2 or X1 are tubeless ready?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wheels
    Rims Giant P-TRX 29er 1 WheelSystem
    Hubs Giant P-TRX 29er 1 WheelSystem
    Spokes Giant P-TRX 29er 1 WheelSystem
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 29x2.25 TL Ready Evolution Folding

I think they are.

May contain nuts
    I think not. P-XC29 and S-XC29 have a std spoke-bed AFAIK.

Would be nice to know the weights of the three wheelsets though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    PXC are easily converted to tubeless - many have done the ghetto method - i bought the Stans rimstrips (not the tape) as recommended - the "flow" rim strip - and within 30 mins had both wheels mounted with a handpump

used em for almost 3 mos before I added another shot of sealant - and rarely added air

tires were panaracer 2.35 rampage frt, maxxis 2.25 ardent rear

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I think not. P-XC29 and S-XC29 have a std spoke-bed AFAIK.

Would be nice to know the weights of the three wheelsets though...
    Straight from the Giant catalog:

X0 - P-TRX 29er 1 Wheel system, 1795-Gram , Tubeless compatible.

Will try to get the other two weights, but catalog not complete.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4good View Post
    I can only speak for the X/L. Seat post is 30.9 X 375.

Minimum insertion line is 120mm.

I also went back and forth, between Large and X/L, but in the end went X/L because I have a long upper body. Everyones different, and will have different results.

Whichever you get you will love it!!
    Thanks Z4. Looks like even using my reverb 420mm post if I need 120mm of seatpost inside the frame, XL is the only option to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmal26 View Post
    I was wondering what max markings are on the trance seatpost. A reverb has a limit of 80mm but some manufacturers will spec a limit of 100mm or even 120mm. Using less post in the frame could void the warranty?
    100mm minimum in the manual for the seat post that came with my L trance x 29er.

May contain nuts
    Straight from the Giant catalog:

X0 - P-TRX 29er 1 Wheel system, 1795-Gram , Tubeless compatible.

Will try to get the other two weights, but catalog not complete.

Cheers. Went for a spin on a medium X1 tonight - extended steep climb, rock gardens, fast & twisty downs. Moved all the spacers above the stem, (but didn't flip it), which improved the handling hugely. Felt really good for a 29er, I'm impressed. Seemed to fall between my RX and TX 26rs in terms of handling. A Fox 34, flat bar, straight-post and a shorter flipped stem would complete the package nicely.
    Last edited by Haggis; 09-21-2012 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That sounds like a great setup Haggis. I've already ordered a Thomson X4 0 degree stem. Seat post next. Its a great ride.
    Last edited by Z4good; 09-22-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Space Ghost
    That sounds like a great setup Haggis. I've already ordered a Thompson X4 0 degree stem. Seat post next. Its a great ride.
    Don't know if I missed something, but that stem won't fit the Trance X 29's Overdrive steerer. They are 1 1/4" not 1 1/8". Just a heads up.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I know. It's a bit confusing Trance X0 and X1 have the OD2, 1 1/4 upper 1 1/2 lower.
    Trance 2 has OD 1 1/8 upper. 1 1/2 lower. Verified on their spec sheet and LBS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just got my large X1 last night. It came with a 90mm stem. My experience with sizing is that Giant got this bike pretty well dead on. I'm 6'1" and 210, and ride Large on any bike. I dropped the stem and swapped 15mm of spacers to the top, and that's about it. All the hand wringing over sizing seems a little out of control to me.

It rode great, very fast. I rode with the front and rear shocks in "trail" the entire time and didn't feel like I was losing much effort to bobbing, etc. 5" of travel makes a world of difference!

Get one, fast as you can get it ordered and shipped in!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does anyone else prefer the "Trail" setting on the shock to the "Descend", even when descending? I seem to always end up leaving my in Trail unless I'm on a fire road climb or pavement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone know the shock length on the Tx 29er. Is it still the 7.5[185mm] x 2 [50mm] used on the Tx 26"?

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Does anyone else prefer the "Trail" setting on the shock to the "Descend", even when descending? I seem to always end up leaving my in Trail unless I'm on a fire road climb or pavement.
    I live in Florida! I could leave it in "Climb" if I wanted. I do leave mine in the Trail mode. I will have to wait until my next trip to the mountains to test the Descend mode.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I know. It's a bit confusing Trance X0 and X1 have the OD2, 1 1/4 upper 1 1/2 lower.
    Trance 2 has OD 1 1/8 upper. 1 1/2 lower. Verified on their spec sheet and LBS.
    Apparently the difference is the fork's steerer and the top bearing of the headset. The head tube/ frame is unchanged between build kits

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88 View Post
    Apparently the difference is the fork's steerer and the top bearing of the headset. The head tube/ frame is unchanged between build kits
    Agreed.. It does give a better choice for stems, until they ramp up production for the larger size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What are you platform guys running for pedals? I have an X2 an have it narrowed down to spank spike's in orange or blue, or loaded precision pedals in blue. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcherer View Post
    What are you platform guys running for pedals? I have an X2 an have it narrowed down to spank spike's in orange or blue, or loaded precision pedals in blue. Decisions, decisions.
    SPDs all the way - Shimano XT M785 Trail Wide

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Still 4 weeks till I get my hands on the frame but first impressions from 29 inches aren't as good as I hoped; sold my Sultan for something a bit lighter but wondering if I should have kept now!

Interbike 2012 Ride Impressions: Giant Trance X 29er 0

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    SPDs all the way - Shimano XT M785 Trail Wide
    +1 for the XT M785's. I had these pre-purchased over a month in advance and waiting for the bike. Great pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Anyone know the shock length on the Tx 29er. Is it still the 7.5[185mm] x 2 [50mm] used on the Tx 26"?

Yes...it is.
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugs View Post
    Still 4 weeks till I get my hands on the frame but first impressions from 29 inches aren't as good as I hoped; sold my Sultan for something a bit lighter but wondering if I should have kept now!

Interbike 2012 Ride Impressions: Giant Trance X 29er 0
    I think you'll be fine. Note that it says it doesn't do one feature of each of those as well as specific bikes. It's a very nice all-rounder, in my opinion. Also, I feel that it takes a bit more setup on the suspension to get it perfect for your riding style, but once you do, it performs extremely well. Also, if you got a complete bike, make sure to lose some of the spacers if it comes with a huge stack like most I've seen.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast