mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Trance X 29 Knocking suspension

When the rear suspension compresses I'm hearing/feeling a knock...I removed the shock to isolate it, seems to be the rear derailleur...when i take the chain tension off of it, knock is gone...is this normal? abnormal? anyone else experience this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does it have a 'clutch' derailleur? If so, it would have to slip to accommodate chain growth as the suspension compresses. If the cage resists twisting in the counterclockwise direction more than just spring tension then there is a clutch inside. Could be what you're noticing.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    Does it have a 'clutch' derailleur? If so, it would have to slip to accommodate chain growth as the suspension compresses. If the cage resists twisting in the counterclockwise direction more than just spring tension then there is a clutch inside. Could be what you're noticing.
    +1
    For most people, riding with a clutch type rear derailleur is a new experience. As the suspension cycles, you may or may not notice the r.d. doing it's thing. If it really drives you crazy, you could put a regular r.d. on the bike to see if you like the change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bet its the sram X9. That's it. I'm either skippin gthis gen or going over to shimano
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yes...must be what it is...i noticed it in a quiet garage....I'm sure it does it all the time...when riding I'm more concentrated on the trail ahead...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So that knock is normal operation?
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm gonna run it by the LBS that I got it from...see what they say...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    LBS basically said its not broken...I can't see how its normal though...when i bought the bike it didn't "knock"...Doesn't seem to be any adjustment for the clutch either...

May contain nuts
    How long is the cage? (Measure jockey wheels centre-centre, 100mm=long, 75mm=short). Should be long with 39T capacity requirement.

Edit: It's long cage, so the Type 2 clutch knock can't be related to insufficient cage length as some people have suggested in other threads...
    Last edited by Haggis; 02-15-2013 at 12:43 PM.