mtbr member

Trance X 2011 bearing replacement - quite the difference!

Just a rambling story about maintenance...

At the beginning of this season I did a full disassemble of my Trance X and discovered that most of the bearings in the rear were either seized or very rough.

I took it into my local shop - Icycle Sport - and they quickly and professionally replaced all the bearings (10 in total) with Enduro Max bearings.

The change in the bike is amazing. I have to run higher pressures in the rear shock because it is way more active now and everything moves much more smoothly. It's, quite literally, better than new.

If you have a Trance X I would highly recommend looking into a bearing swap out regardless of age. The flip side is you should also check to see if your bearings are seized - I couldn't tell before I took the bike apart.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I have an '11 X1 that I just bought this spring (NOS). If you don't mind -- what did it cost you to replace the bearings? I also have heard that replacing the top shock bushing (can't remember the company ?) makes a big difference too.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    The bearings - via the shop - were ~$100 (CDN) and labour was less than $100. If you have the tools and/or savvy you can do it yourself. I was feeling lazy and the tools aren't cheap.

At the end of the first year I also had the bushings at the top of my shock replaced with the ones that are on the Giant Reign. I had started to wear through the standard sleeve bushing and the replacements were substantially stronger/bigger/better. The ones I have now are a much thicker tapered sleeve, almost a tapered washer (if that makes sense), way better. Also recommended.

I can provide a picture of what I have - if desired.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Post the pics brother

mtbr member
    The pictures.

Way stiffer & stronger. No wear/tear on the bushings.

Trance X 2011 bearing replacement - quite the difference!-photo-2013-07-17-9-50-45-pm.jpg
    Trance X 2011 bearing replacement - quite the difference!-photo-2013-07-17-9-50-58-pm.jpg