mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Trance X 2010 any changes?

Anybody know whether Giant intends making changes to the Trance X line up frames for 2010 except for components?
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    I doubt it, Giant usually brings out a new one every 3years like most manufacturers so the Trance X should stay the same for 2010 and be replaced for 2011, so 2010 would be the last year it stays the same. There's nothing about the frame that needs changing and if they did change anything it would only make the next redesign less meaningful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree, unfortunately marketing strategies tend to force some bike companies to bring new "improved" products onto the market every year when there was nothing wrong with the "old" product!
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    needs to be slacker, and get rid of that damned shock!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't have a Trance X but are there any bearing issues that need to be addressed? I'm not saying there are but I know the Blur bearings seemed to get an overhaul every few years and there's a lot of bearings on the Maestro that may or may not be problematic. What do I know, I ride a Turner with bushings. (but I do want a Trance X)
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The German "Mountain Bike" magazine 1/09 has a report on the Trance X1 after riding it for 2682km(p 38)
    They disassembled the whole bike & tested all the bearings:
    The bearings were still in "top order" and the ONLY defect was a spoke that broke!(WTB rim & DT Swiss 370 hub)
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    needs to be slacker, and get rid of that damned shock!
    The Trance X is perfect for what it is....an all around trail bike. If you want slacker get a Reign. If the head angle was any slacker it would be useless for where I ride (twisty, tight fast, single track).

mtbr member
    My '08X2 has been rinsed 4x in 3k miles...all good bearings.
    Last edited by pedaler845; 04-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    My '08X2 has been rinsed 4x in 3k miles...all good bearings.
    I can't find the thread where I read a guy moaning about some main bearing on the Reign X and how it "was the weak point in the Maestro suspension". Maybe someone doing DH runs on a Reign might could stress the bearings into failure but I'm guessing a Trance X just isn't ridden in that abusive manner. I sure wouldn't, I'm just an xc guy at heart.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    If they change anything, I would hope it would be a standard size shock for those of us who can't afford the X0, and want to upgrade later... I guess then the suspension wouldn't work as good...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, anybody PUSHed the Fox RP2/RP23 on the Trance X? I've PUSHed everyone of my shocks and it's always been a worthy upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bottom shock mount

My LBS mechanic just complained to me about the way the bottom eyelet on the Trance X shock is mounted with two spacers and not with standard Fox reducers and bushes....whether this has any influence on durability I do not know. Probably not.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    My LBS mechanic just complained to me about the way the bottom eyelet on the Trance X shock is mounted with two spacers and not with standard Fox reducers and bushes....whether this has any influence on durability I do not know. Probably not.
    As long as they're reasonably priced and attainable -in my experience with Fox reducers on a Jekyll, those needed attention more frequently than the TX2...knock on wood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    OK, anybody PUSHed the Fox RP2/RP23 on the Trance X? I've PUSHed everyone of my shocks and it's always been a worthy upgrade.
    Or the regular Float?
    Ive had some luck with PUSH too, the no frills TX2 works great with the stock Float, so I wonder...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845
    -in my experience with Fox reducers ... those needed attention more frequently than the [lower shock mount spacers on the] TX2...knock on wood.
    Agreed.

The reason that bearings wore out quickly on many Santa Cruz frames is because they were misaligned (loading the bearing slightly sideways). Frames welded by Giant are "perfect" (quote from a guy working at Santa Cruz, which is why the latest Blurs/LTs and Nomads are now welded by Giant amongst others).

I did smash a bearing once on a Trance, but the trail I was on is a bike killer. No Meastro frame I've had since has had any trouble. I see bearings as consumables, anyway. One should always have spares of such important components.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Maybe I'm doing something odd here but, I've just had to have all of the pivot bearings replaced on a 10 month old Trance X. All of them were worn (bar one) plus the top bushings on the shock and the bottom bearings on the headset.
    Love the Trance X and it gets regular use on all manner of terrain and through a crappy British winter. It does get cleaned regularly any advice on lubing the pivots?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

bearing seals

Lubing the pivots externally will not help.
    If you've done this before then you could pull off the rear & linkages every six months or so (depending on the riding conditions) and check all bearings for roughness/seizing.
    On those bearings that don't feel smooth you can pop off the rubber seal with a dental pick or small jeweller's screwdriver or similar instrument. Flush out the old grease with some kind of suitable degreaser, dry thoroughly with compressed air or the wife's expensive hairdryer, and replace it with Chris King Ring Drive lube(the best and expensive) or any good bearing grease from your LBS. Pop the rubber seals back on and torque all bolts to spec.
    Hope this helps
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Love the Trance X and it gets regular use on all manner of terrain and through a crappy British winter. It does get cleaned regularly any advice on lubing the pivots?[/QUOTE]

Water is the #1 enemy of bearings so DO NOT pressure wash your steed as the water will find its way into the bearings, the grease inside will emulsify and the bearings will rust & wear out prematurely.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    May 2008

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by goatman
    Love the Trance X and it gets regular use on all manner of terrain and through a crappy British winter. It does get cleaned regularly any advice on lubing the pivots?
    Water is the #1 enemy of bearings so DO NOT pressure wash your steed as the water will find its way into the bearings, the grease inside will emulsify and the bearings will rust & wear out prematurely.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips Goatman - this should save me some money.

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 Trance X1 and I am confortable with the bike, some problems with the Hayes Trail front brake but that is just a component and got the replacement from Heyes so I am not blaning the bike. The bearings are in good condition and I am trying to avoid the water as much as I can. I don't care is the bike is dirty because if I wash the bike it will be dirty after my next ride so I don't really care. If you are going to clean the bike take your time and do it right, and follow GOATMANs suggestion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    anyone know what exactly the shock size is on a Trance X? I have a Pushed RP23 on mine and it feels nothing short of amazing, virtually identical to my Reign X with DHX air.

For those wanting a slacker head angle, I went with a 150mm Fox QR15 fork and it feels perfect. Totally rips and the BB is 13.5" static.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    anyone know what exactly the shock size is on a Trance X? .
    7.25x1.75

mtbr member
    I am riding a 2009 Trance X-0 and love it! Best trail bike I ever had. I also had the 2008 Trance X -0 and that was my favorite trail bike until I got the 2009.

For my summer business i have a fleet of 2008 Trance X-4's for the lower mountain (easy dh trails) at Whiteface. First rental trail bike I will keep for 2 years. They work great and are holding up great.

Entry level to the pro model. Trance X' s rock!
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    anyone know what exactly the shock size is on a Trance X? I have a Pushed RP23 on mine and it feels nothing short of amazing, virtually identical to my Reign X with DHX air.

For those wanting a slacker head angle, I went with a 150mm Fox QR15 fork and it feels perfect. Totally rips and the BB is 13.5" static.
    do you happen to have an accurate HA measurement with that fork?