mtbr member
    Nov 2012

trance vs anthem

What are the main differences between these two? Specifically the trance x 2 29 vs anthem x 2 29

cowbell
    I will let you sort out the component specs for yourself, and focus on more etherial subject matter.

The Anthem is a XC race bike, effectively. It's sharper handling, lighter, more aggressive in terms of feel. It's not really designed for jumps or larger drops. Travel is 100mm front and rear. If you want to ride hard to go fast, and not really interested in riding all day, just to ride, this might be your bike, if you think you can keep the wheels on the ground.

The Trance is a trail bike, more relaxed, designed to take a bigger hit, so a bit heavier. Travel is 120mm front and rear. If you want to chill and ride trails for fun, and hit some drops and some jumps, this might be the ride you're looking for.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Demo both.

When I bought my shiny new MTB this year, I thought I was ready to move on from race bikes. I was wrong. Race gear kicks ass at its job, which is up to and including 50- and 100-mile races, 24-hour races, etc.

I think it may demand a little more finesse on the way down.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    ...not really interested in riding all day...
    I bought the Anthem specifically because it IS an all day bike. Very forgiving, very efficient and light. I love that I can do a 100 mile/day ride on it and feel (relatively) as fresh at the end as I did at the beginning. If I had to haul around extra weight, I'd be a little put off.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

trance vs anthem

I just upgraded from a 2012 anthem 29 to 2014 trance 29. Both xo. The anthem is fast and I have raced a few 50km races on it. I wanted something plusher and more nimble yet still quick and after demoing a trance 27.5, fuel ex 29 and trance. The trance got the nod

1 week impressions are so far good. Slight weight increase is noticeable but 500grams of that is in seat post and seat. I will probably take the dropper post off as for most of my trails it's not needed( Victoria Australia ). Bike feels so plush it feels like more than 20mm increase in travel, yet still fast and efficient. The main difference is probably going from rock shock to fox suspension. I will sell the anthem and will also get a 29 HT as a second bike