mtbr member

Trance SX Advanced with 160mm rear travel?

Hello everyone,
    I'm being offered an interesting frameset.

While regular 2014 Trance SX Advanced comes with Float X shock, fitting it with 2015 Monarch Debonair gives it 160mm rear travel without any frame clearance issues as Monarch has 6mm more stroke.

Here's the photo:

What do you think? Would you rather go with Float X or this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    im sure that toootally wouldn't do anything wonky to the leverage curve. Looking at my trance you can see pretty clearly the front of that pivot bracket is jacked way up in your pic and the BB is much higher than stock. Maybe he's figured out a secret hack but from my experience it mever seems to go well when people decide they are cleverer than the engineers who designed it.

I think if i wanted a Giant with 6" travel in a trail platform id look for a used reign X

mtbr member
    I don't see how it would be much different than fitting different shock with the same stroke as the original one.

Trance frames share so many different shocks and cheaper ones have shorter stroke effectively reducing the travel, so I think it's much less relevant.

If the force needed to compress the shock fully was just bit higher than that of a regular Trance with 140mm, that is easily achievable with pressure and just because it takes less force to use, say 100mm of travel doesn't mean it wouldn't work well overall.

As long as compression and rebound "tune" was close to the original, it would be fine.

Well, there's really only way to find out

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    ...cheaper ones have shorter stroke effectively reducing the travel...
    The new (from 2013) Trance has 140mm of rear travel in all models. Some have piggyback shocks but they don't have more travel.

As for putting a longer shock on your bike, I say do it and report back! There's got to be a few people out there with a Trance SX who are now wishing they waited for a Reign.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    A few people on pinkbike have done this mod without issue, as have some guys on the German forums.

It won't mess with your geometry since the shock has a longer stroke while being the same length. It will however start altering your geometry if you don't run the same sag (absolute, not relative) as on the shorter stroke shock - so if you want to keep your geometry the same you will hardly ever use the additional travel this mod affords.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by SiSandroSi View Post
    A few people on pinkbike have done this mod without issue, as have some guys on the German forums.
    Spanish forums have reported the trick does not work on Small size frames. The rear triangle contacts the seat tube, IIRC. On M and L sizes is safe to run a 200x57mm shock.

However, that has been done with non-piggyback shocks, again, from memory. Maybe it has been done.

I would try first before running a different stroke on a Small frame. Alternatively, you can limit the travel on the shock by installing a bumper.

In the case of the OP, he'll be bine with the longer Debonair as long as it is a 200X57.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Spanish forums have reported the trick does not work on Small size frames. The rear triangle contacts the seat tube, IIRC. On M and L sizes is safe to run a 200x57mm shock.

However, that has been done with non-piggyback shocks, again, from memory. Maybe it has been done.

I would try first before running a different stroke on a Small frame. Alternatively, you can limit the travel on the shock by installing a bumper.

In the case of the OP, he'll be bine with the longer Debonair as long as it is a 200X57.
    This guy was able to fit a 200x57 FloatX on a Small frame, but he says the piggyback comes as close as 2mm to the frame - not really a risk i'd like to take.

I'll probably give this mod a try on my medium, since i'm going to swap out the Float anyways.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you will not be able to run a front derailleur anymore.

mtbr member
    Yea, but who needs front derailleur anyway.
    I'm really on the edge of buying the frameset, but I'm not sure which option to go for.

Seller has couple of options:

1. Frameset with FloatX or with Monarch about 1400-1500 with headset for regular tapered forks and Switch seatpost.

2. All things under #1 (except headset) plus Talas. stem, handlebars and grips for 1900.

I'm not sure should I get Talas or Pike. I tried Pike and it's a great fork, but apparently Fox 34 from 2014 is excellent as well, especially Factory Shakira coated ones.

One thing that bothers me with Talas is OD2 steerer which would make it next to impossible to sell and it's hard to get 1 1/4 stems. Pike is lighter as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    especially Factory Shakira coated ones.
    Shakira: Singer-songwriter, dancer, record producer, choreographer, model, and stanchion coating.

mtbr member
    I know it's Kashima, but Shakira coating sounds cool too

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Pike or 36.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Bike should have come with a 200x57 anyway. Too bad the float x has a different seal head on it that limits it to 51mm. Wish they would have just used a 6mm stroke limiter installed instead.