DTL
    mtbr member

Trance or Stumpy FSR or SC Heckler

I've been researching a new FS bike. I'm currently on a 2004 Stumpy FSR 100mm front and rear. I'm looking for something with more of a trail/all mountain geometry and more travel for mainly trail riding. Can anyone provide any feedback regarding the Giant Trance? And compare to the Stumpy FSR or SC Heckler? Does Giant do something proprietatry with the head tube or headset? Something looks different to me whenever I see pics of one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL
    I've been researching a new FS bike. I'm currently on a 2004 Stumpy FSR 100mm front and rear. I'm looking for something with more of a trail/all mountain geometry and more travel for mainly trail riding. Can anyone provide any feedback regarding the Giant Trance? And compare to the Stumpy FSR or SC Heckler? Does Giant do something proprietatry with the head tube or headset? Something looks different to me whenever I see pics of one.
    My best friend has a 2004 Stumpy Expert Disc so I know you model bike well. It is an excellent XC/Trail bike and its closest Giant cousin would be the Anthem X. However you want a Trail/AM bike. That would be the Trance X or Reign depending on how lazy handling you want the bike to be or a new Stumpy FSR.

Head Tube (HT) angles are just angles...nothing proprietary or special about them other than how they react with the rest of the bike's geometry. Generally the lower the number of the HT angle the more stable and less maneuverable a bike is.

Here is how they relate from most fast handling to most stable:

2009 Anthem X 71* HT 4" Travel
    2004 Stumpy FSR 70.5* HT 4" Travel
    2009 Trance X 69.5* HT 5" Travel
    2009 Stumpy FSR 68.5* HT 5"Travel
    2009 Reign 68* HT 6" Travel
    2009 Reign X 67* HT 6.7" Travel

The one you want depends on where you ride. If your trails are fast, rough and fairly open you can run a slacker HT angle. If you ride tight single track, up and down, weaving through trees you will want a faster handling bike.

I think the Trance X is the best of both worlds. You can be fast everywhere. The standard Reign is also a really good all around bike on all but the tightest trails. Both climb well too.

I used to be a Die Hard Stumpy FSR fan for years. However, Specialized no longer make a bike for me. In my opinion since 2006 the Stumpy FSR have gotten too lazy/slow handling for the riding I do.

The Maestro suspension is also a leap beyond the FSR system. It pedals much better when climbing and manages to be more plush at the same time. It eats up square edge bumps better too.

Like I said I am a huge fan of the Trance X. It can do it all.

E !

headset= zero stack

Nothing proprietary with zero stacks. I think that's what you see different.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaone33
    My best friend has a 2004 Stumpy Expert Disc so I know you model bike well. It is an excellent XC/Trail bike and its closest Giant cousin would be the Anthem X. However you want a Trail/AM bike. That would be the Trance X or Reign depending on how lazy handling you want the bike to be or a new Stumpy FSR.

Head Tube (HT) angles are just angles...nothing proprietary or special about them other than how they react with the rest of the bike's geometry. Generally the lower the number of the HT angle the more stable and less maneuverable a bike is.

Here is how they relate from most fast handling to most stable:

2009 Anthem X 71* HT 4" Travel
    2004 Stumpy FSR 70.5* HT 4" Travel
    2009 Trance X 69.5* HT 5" Travel
    2009 Stumpy FSR 68.5* HT 5"Travel
    2009 Reign 68* HT 6" Travel
    2009 Reign X 67* HT 6.7" Travel

The one you want depends on where you ride. If your trails are fast, rough and fairly open you can run a slacker HT angle. If you ride tight single track, up and down, weaving through trees you will want a faster handling bike.

I think the Trance X is the best of both worlds. You can be fast everywhere. The standard Reign is also a really good all around bike on all but the tightest trails. Both climb well too.

I used to be a Die Hard Stumpy FSR fan for years. However, Specialized no longer make a bike for me. In my opinion since 2006 the Stumpy FSR have gotten too lazy/slow handling for the riding I do.

The Maestro suspension is also a leap beyond the FSR system. It pedals much better when climbing and manages to be more plush at the same time. It eats up square edge bumps better too.

Like I said I am a huge fan of the Trance X. It can do it all.
    Well I myself have steered away from spec this time. I liked the new stumpy comp but just couldn't get past the proprietary triad rear shock. I didn't want another one. If they would just build the bike around the standard RP23 I'd probably be there. On the other hand have been researching the giants and maestro sus. I'm gonna try and demo a trance x tmrw. Problem is all the 09's are a lot more expensive for components I don't need, like 15 thru axle. I would like to find an 08x1 if possible.

So in your opinion the reign is somewhat overkill for trial riding? The new reign seems to have the same frame design as the trance x. What else can you input on the difference btween the two? I still want something fast, comfortable and that climbs good. Is the trance a comfortable ride or more that xc stretched out feel?

Oh yeah and one more thing...any feedback regarding the sc heckler in comparison?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Trance X is not a stretched out XC bike. Thats the Anthem X. The standard Reign is a longer travel Trance X, very similar but with a slacker head angle to go with the longer fork and its purpose as more of an AM bike than a trail bike.

Once again, if you ride a lot of technical decending, big drops, high speed trails the Reign may be better. If you do some of that and still ride tighter slower trails with lots of technical climbing the Trance X may be better.

As far as parts pics the Giants do give you better parts for the money. Just compare the bikes dollar for dollar. You get nicer forks and rear shock as well as drive train parts and brakes on the Giants.

I haven't ridden a Santa Cruz bike in years so I can't help you there.

DTL
    mtbr member
    The Trance X is not a stretched out XC bike. Thats the Anthem X. The standard Reign is a longer travel Trance X, very similar but with a slacker head angle to go with the longer fork and its purpose as more of an AM bike than a trail bike.

Once again, if you ride a lot of technical decending, big drops, high speed trails the Reign may be better. If you do some of that and still ride tighter slower trails with lots of technical climbing the Trance X may be better.

As far as parts pics the Giants do give you better parts for the money. Just compare the bikes dollar for dollar. You get nicer forks and rear shock as well as drive train parts and brakes on the Giants.

I haven't ridden a Santa Cruz bike in years so I can't help you there.
    Yes the 2008 Giant Renace X 012 all good value for the money. However the 2009 models have all jumped a lot in price. What is confusing to me is that on their website the reign madels with good speca seem to be priced lower than the Trance models. Example would be the reign 1 = $2900 while the Trance X1 is over three g's. Any idea why? A LBS guy told me that the reason is the reign is not spec'd out as well with components but this doesn't seem to be the case to me. They come with fox DHX air rear shocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL
    Yes the 2008 Giant Renace X 012 all good value for the money. However the 2009 models have all jumped a lot in price. What is confusing to me is that on their website the reign madels with good speca seem to be priced lower than the Trance models. Example would be the reign 1 = $2900 while the Trance X1 is over three g's. Any idea why? A LBS guy told me that the reason is the reign is not spec'd out as well with components but this doesn't seem to be the case to me. They come with fox DHX air rear shocks.
    Every part on the Reign 1 is a step below the spec of the Trance X1. The Reign 1 componenet spec is almost the same level wise as a Trance X2.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Every part on the Reign 1 is a step below the spec of the Trance X1. The Reign 1 componenet spec is almost the same level wise as a Trance X2.
    OK I got it. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for an 08 Trance x1. For the price Iike the way that bike is speked. I'm not crazy about the colors and paint jobs on the 09's. I wish they would have stuck with the ano blacks and silvers.