mtbr member

New question here. Trance Stem Length

Hi everyone,

I've taken ownership of a 2006 T2 (aust.) a couple of weeks ago.

My large (20") frame came with a 120mm stem... on my HT I ran a 90mm stem, 1.25" riser bars with a fairly good sweep (Easton Monkeylite Carbon) with a 5" fork.

I've sold off the stock Reba- after riding it on the road, the whole 4" thing just diddn't sit well with me. And now my Fox Vanilla's are on the Trance till I get some Revelations.

My question is... what fork travel and stem length do you run on your trance?

Even with the 5" fork, I'm still finding the low narrow EA50 stem & handlebar not quite confidence inspiring. The bike seems to turn almost too fast and I'm quite stretched out. I also wanted opinions on what stem length to run- I'll put the 90mm stem on and see how that goes. but I was thinking about a 100mm stem...opinions?

[SIZE=2]PS- I haven't been able to take the bike off road yet - i was riding along the road when a pedestrian came out running into me so i've got a bruised knee (just so happens to be the one that's always been problematic and only made a full recovery a couple of months ago!) and I'm missing some bark which needs to grow back before I ride again. At least my bike gave her a few bruises- other than that the stupid idiot really diddn't get that hurt. But when I do hit the trails again I'll do a write up and post pics [/SIZE]

bike nerd
    Dec 2005

Stem length / cockpit

hey Majura,

I just got my Australian spec 2006 T2 as well... and like you I was a bit uncertain about the stem length - coming from a 20in Kona hardtail with a 100mm stem. I swapped the Easton low-rise bar out for my old BBB carbon riser, which is 40mm narrower, with about a 25mm rise and a 10 degree backsweep. Feels better to me, though I wouldn't mind trying a 110mm stem. For now I'm loving the ride, and FWIW really love the Reba forks too (super plush compared to 65mm Marzocchi Z2 BAM!).

BTW from your avatar it sounds like we ride the same mountain? Though I'll take New Year's Resolution over Pitt St... cheers!

mtbr member
    Cheers for the opinion lazyWhippet.

I've put on the 90mm 10 degre rise stem with my Easton Carbon monkeylites with a 1.25" rise... The steering is slower, but I definitely feel a world more comfortable- Still looking at trying a 100/110 mm stem though. But that'll have to wait- I just bought those Revelations!

Yeah, I used to live in Canberra but I'm studying up in byron bay at the moment. But I've got a couple weeks of holidays come March, I'll be bringing my Hardtail back home and clock up many k's of single track- maybe we could hook up for a ride?

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, about the tubes- they're some light weight Specialized seriously wafer-thin POS... definitely replace them ASAP. Also, I've found out that if you remove the plastic ring around the valve of the rim- it converts it to a schraeder valve rim.

bike nerd
    Dec 2005

tubes

Quote Originally Posted by majura
    Oh yeah, about the tubes- they're some light weight Specialized seriously wafer-thin POS... definitely replace them ASAP. Also, I've found out that if you remove the plastic ring around the valve of the rim- it converts it to a schraeder valve rim.
    Heh that's pretty funny. I took my bike in a race at Sparrow Hill on the weekend - had a blast but pinch flatted the rear... and I had no spare tube with me, thinking that I could only put Prestas in those rims. One crappy patch in the kit, a rush job on the repair, and a DNF

So yeah, discovered the valve adaptor thingy, put a heavy old Schrader tube in... I'm thinking of doing a Stan's conversion, & maybe some new tyres, Maxxis Larsen TT or Crossmark. Though the Bulldog's seem OK so far, contrary to popular opinion...