Cannondale Rush addict

Trance shock too exposed?

Im very close to buying at '05 Trance, but as I live in Denmark I am gonna drive in muddy conditions a large part the year. Can this prove a problem as the Trance shock seems too be quite exposed?

I often see the bottom bracket area being packed with mud on the hard tail I ride at the moment, and fear that the same situation might be a problem when combined with a moving shock.

- Advice and experiences with muddy Trance riding would be great!

Thanks!
    - Olle M. Hansen

MBAA!
    This has been discussed before. It is an issue, but there are this year going to be companies making stuff for that.

ie.:
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ive been bashing my reign pretty good with out a guard and no problems yet,only a few rides in since new though.Im definetly going to get one of the carbon guards when I can find the supplier,If anybody knows where to get let us know. If I dont get one I might actually have to learn how to get over stuff with finesse instead of like a tank.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    Ive been bashing my reign pretty good with out a guard ........ If I dont get one I might actually have to learn how to get over stuff with finesse instead of like a tank.
    Repeat after me;

My frame is NOT a bashgaurd
    My frame is NOT a bashgaurd

Damn, in carbon even! Looks really nice. I might have to buy one of those bike's to have an excuse to buy the gaurd.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

MTB B'dos
    Olle, if you're talking about the original Trance design released at the end of '04 for the 2005 year then I'd say you've nothing really to worry about. I have a Trance and ride in very muddy conditions all the time and have never found that I get anything more than the lsightest bit of dirt in there. I run a home made "guard" on mine made from cloth laced rubber, so when I'm washing down the bike I just have to pull down the rear to let the bigger pieces of dirt out.

Now if you want to know about the new :bash me" '06 Trances I have no clue, we are all waiting on reports about the new design to see how it fears.However I feel the new design is more ceceptible to gettng crap on the shock as it's actually more exposed if you don't have on a guard.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Cannondale Rush addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Olle, if you're talking about the original Trance design released at the end of '04 for the 2005 year then I'd say you've nothing really to worry about.
    I am thinking of the old design, so your comments are making me a little less worried. As the shock is closer to the ground than on any other supension design i've seen, It just seems that this shock is so much more "in the line of mud" ...

- Thanks for the replies, everyone please keep posting if you have experiences on the subject

Olle M. Hansen

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Will we see any aftermarket guards for the 2005 Trance too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    what is the name of the company for the carbon guard for the 2006 model?

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Will we see any aftermarket guards for the 2005 Trance too?
    Don't think they'll be worrying anything about the old design since they haven't had any probs with them. Most people who own Maestro designed bikes and need the guard - for hucking etc, (not normally required for general XC) have made their own either from aluminimum or (like myself) from cloth re-inforced rubber. However after seeing how sweet the carbon guard looks I may try to make one for my Trance.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics