mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Trance/Reign/VT2

Help!!!
    My riding buddy's after his 1st proper full sus, I've told him about the Giants above but I need a lil'help from you guys/girls! He's never gonna be a jumper so what I need to know if if it's better to get the extra travel of the Reign2/VT2 over the Trance2, I dont know of anywhere he can Demo the bikes either so he's a bit worried about the size - he's about 6ft so I thought about a Medium or Large. I know the Reigns the heavier dutier out the bikes but I figure he'd have fun if the bike could get him out of trouble if you know what I mean!! How pedal efficient are the Trance/Reign ? He's looking to order a bike by weekend so any info/comments you have would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would not get a VT. I ride a VT as my main bike, but is not in the same league as the Trance or Reign. From most accounts, the Trance with less suspension is actually better than the VT.

That leaves Trance vs Reign. For trail riding the Trance is all one needs. I do not do jumps, and only small drops, but would still buy the Reign. Both models are pedal efficient so you do not need to worrry about that.

I would get a Reign, sized Large. Mediums are good for people from 5'8" to 5'11".

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for replying Allmountain, I thought it would be better to have more travel and not use it rather than not have it and need it! I'll try and get him to get the Reign - all the owners on here seem impressed with them! Thanks again for your advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good Choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I bought a Trance

I demo'd a Reign 2 and bought a Trance 1. I'm 5'11" and ride a large. The Reign was nice and I happend to demo it on a very rocky DH trail, so the suspension was sweet. My local trails aren't nearly as rough so I went with a Trance. 4" of travel is plenty coming from a Hardtail. The Reign is heavier, so the buying more bike than you need also means having to pedal more bike than you need. Neither bike is all that light, but if you aren't doing Free-ride type stuff, the Trance is probably good. It all depends on the trails you ride. My trials have plenty of roots, but not too many baby heads. I demoed the Reign in Jim Thorpe, PA where there were 6" rocks all over the trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    just letting you know, he ordered the Reign2 today.........all the shops we spoke to recomended the medium so he's gone for that, there going for silly prices in the UK!!! Got even more money off!!! Anyway it'll be here Tuesday, my buddys totally stoked! Will update you after a couple of rides!

mtbr member
    Ok so here's another question on this same line. How much difference will the head tube angle and wheel base make in the handling? The Reign depending on if its an 05 or 06 is about .5 to 1 degree slacker than the Trance. And the wheel base is about an inch longer.
    Will you really notice the difference?

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

Who is John Galt?

Reign vs. Trance

I'm in the same shoes, trying to choose between a Reign and a Trance. I like to jump when I see them and do some reasonably techy trails but there's not that much need for the Reigns extra travel here (Mo.). I see myself heading west however where it would come in handy. I'm wondering how much more the Reign weighs and whether Reign owners have any trouble getting up the hills? That's one thing we do have in abundance. I'm really buying a new bike to keep my 16 year old son riding with me. He went from 5' 6" to 6' 3" in about a year and his medium frame bike no longer works. He likes to do stupid stuff so the Reign is what he needs, I'm guessing he will let me ride it every once in awhile! Truth be known, I have been lusting for a Santa Cruz Nomad but the price is out of my league. Have heard the Reign is a good compromise having the same travel, good specs and half the price as the Nomad. Help me choose! Thanks

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    I'm in northern nj, and am struggling with the same decision. i'm not a big drop or jumper guy, however, the over abundance of rock gardens and baby heads are starting to take it's toll on me. it's looking like the reign for me.

mtbr member
    All my riding is on Colorado's Front range. So, I can see where having the reign's extra travel might come in handy. But, with that being said most of my riding is XC - aggressive XC with 2-3 foot drops, baby heads, etc. With that being said I don't think I would ever need the the Reign's extra travel and weight unless I start going up to the ski resorts during the summer. For general trail riding I think the trance should be more than adequate. However, I'm still debating because I would rather have the extra travel and not need it, than need it and not have it. I'm just curious how the small differences in geometry between the VT/Trance/Reign will affect the handling of the bike.

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I went from a 20" Trance to a 21" Reign and haven't really noticed much difference in handling. IMO, neither bike is extremely nimble, but definitely adequate, unless you're racing. I think the weight diff, especially b/t same-sized bikes, is neglegible and they're equally adept at climbing. The Reign is just more plush and durable. However, I should qualify - I have a RS Revelation on my Reign, which has max 130mm travel. The Nixons that come on many Reigns have 145mm, which would slacken the head angle just a bit.

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

I have an '05 Reign 2, and my roommate has an '05 Trance 4

I kind of debated the same thing. I already have a Trek Hardtail, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon and get a "trail bike"

I don't do any crazy jumps, but I wanted something plush for the east coast trails (Pa-Va) that I ride. Up hill, the reign pedals like a 32 pound hardtailish bike. I'm not back to riding shape yet so I blame a lot of it on myself. Through loamy singletrack it steers tad slower than my hardtail (to be expected), nothing bad, and maybe if i cut the bars down it would be a bit better.

Point it dowhill and it is a sled. Drop the seat and make sure the pressure is dialed after a few rides. Brake jack went away after dialing it in (though i suspect putting weight over the back wheel helps too) In 8 year s of riding, I've never felt that a bike going down hill could out pace my skill as fast as this one did. Scary speeds and ear to ear smiles.

I would go with more travel and get into shape over the trance, but that's a personal/geographical decision. My roommate's trance is just great too, I guess I just wanted to feel hardcore.

If I want to feel fast and climb fast, I'll just hop on my hard tail.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr0101
    I'm in northern nj, and am struggling with the same decision. i'm not a big drop or jumper guy, however, the over abundance of rock gardens and baby heads are starting to take it's toll on me. it's looking like the reign for me.
    I am in Northern NJ and I have an 18 inch Reign 2. I am 5"9" and it fits perfect, 120mm 0 degree stem, I bought the frame only and built with parts from a Klein Palomino and put on a Marz AM1 150, it is a total night and day ride. I can now climb rocky sections that I could not easily do with the Klein. Downhill is just simple now, no need to pick a line, it just absorbs everything in its path. The slightly extra weight that I added (only about 3 lbs, my Reign2 is about 31lbs) is made up for by the plushness and the smoothness of it over any obstacle. Most trails that I ride here are super rocky / rooty with embedded rocks the size of bowling balls (Cannonball trail) which I can just go straight over with out having to thread a needle in between them. I also ride with people that have either hard tails or 3 inch racing bikes and I have some trouble keeping up with them on long smoth fireroad climbs, but that is mostly a factor of my conditioning and not being able to ride as much as they do, but once the trail starts to get rough, I blow past them easily now.

I always thought that a light bike was better, but for the trails here that I ride, the better larger suspension far outweighs the lighter bike in overall useability of the bike.

I also like the way the pedaling is on this, with very little pedal kickback. I have felt some pedal kickback a few times, but once in a few rides only, and it actually feels a little like a hard tail (or my old Palomino) at times.

I definitely would recommend this bike to anyone that wants to be able to ride anything from XC trails to steep drops and even 4 foot dropoffs (I don't do those yet myself), but I can definitely feel that this bike would have no issues with them.

Going for a ride......
    I'm in Australia, just generally like to get out and ride whatever trails are nearby. Was looking at purchasing a Trance 3 (AU$2200) which I could probably get for around $2000. Recently I came across a Reign (my mistake for saying trance previously) 2 (AU$3200) on sale for $2500.

So if you had the choice of:
    Trance 3 for $2000 or Reign 2 for $2500 what would you choose?

I'd be looking at a 16", anyone knows what a reign in that size would weigh?
    Last edited by energetix; 04-02-2006 at 04:07 AM.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

16 inch reign weight

Energetix, I have a near standard 2005 reign2 16 inch. Only mods are an 8 inch disc on the front and a set of kenda nevegal 2.1 dtc wire bead tyres. On the digital bathroom scales ( I cant guarantee the accuracy ! ) it weighs 13 kgs. I hope this helps. I would be keen to hear what other 16 inch 2005 R2's weigh.

Going for a ride......
    Yep it gives me a good idea - I think I'd be looking at similar (around 13kg) for the T3 from what I've read. Hmmm makes the decision harder!
    energetix

Who is John Galt?
    I just had the chance to test a Reign 2 and a Trance 2 this weekend. While both bikes were a little small for me, I loved the feel of both bikes. The Reign however is just too much bike for me. It really felt like a beast. Didn't get to ride trails but the shop had a parking lot and an alley with some good places to test -- that Reign never noticed anything. But it's just too big for those big epics I see myself doing and the Trance is perfect for that. You can buy either bike for just over $2,000 here, With the Trance however you get better components I think. One thing I didn't like is the Hayes brakes, would rather go Juicy 7s as the stock brakes are real loud. Dealer says I could change but I am thinking that will add to the price. That's my latest theory anyhow, Trance 2 for me.

Going for a ride......
    I'm still waiting for a chance to test ride the Trance 3 (or a Reign). The lbs said they may not even get anymore in, if you want one you have to order it and it's yours. Now that's just silly who would just go out & buy a bike without trying it out - if not just for size!

I'm leaning towards the Trance 3 at this stage - less weight and probably plenty of travel for my style of riding at the moment. Who knows what could happen in the future - I'm probably one of those wanna do's but don't have the guts types -well for now anyway! Things change a little when you have a couple of kids to think about I guess - in the way of risk taking anyway.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Splitting Hairs

By the time you get down to evaluating Trances against Reigns, you've already made the correct 'strategic' decision, and should not be losing sleep over either (said the obsesive / compusive). Last Fall I went through the same decision making process, going finally with the Reign 3.

Decision Rational at the time:
    - More travel, hoping for more 'plush' ride (moving up from no fork / hard tail)
    - Not going to race
    - Weight difference negligable, given my 5 to 9 mile average ride distance, mostly at sea level. Longest climb in the past 3 years about 1500', did it once.
    - Could take weight off easily (me and the bike), can't add more travel (easily).

Perspective w/ 6 Months Experience:
    - Took a few rides to get the rear shock dialed in. One of the most plush AND controlled bikes I've ridden.
    - Climbs better than my old bike, better traction, and lower gearing (might be a little slower, but I'm not really in a hurry on the up hills)
    - Very plush on trails around my neighborhood (Wakefield, Accotink, VA)
    - Recently went with buds to a local mtn biking park (Patapsco, MD). I blew them away on every single downhill run (and I'm not that technical). Was like riding a motorcycle, suspension never bottomed out. After the first run, I asked them to let me run first downhill so they wouldn't hold me up. On climbing, I stopped when they stopped, no more, or longer breaks. I know I am not in as good as shape as they are, so the bike cannot be holding me back that much in comparison.
    - Not quite as agile as my old bike, but I don't really notice it while I'm on the trail, just when I am sitting here analyzing things.

20/20 Hindsight:
    I wouldn't trade for a Trance now, the extra travel is just too nice, at very little compromise in weight. Just get one, and go riding, you'll be glad you did!

Going for a ride......
    Yes I must say I don't think I have heard of anyone who has brought a Reign actually regretting it. Mind you I could say the same for people who have brought a Trance.

Best thing I reckon is if I can have a bit of a ride on both bikes, then I'm sure the decision should be easier then. You're correct in saying I should stop thinking about it. Got to wait till June for the purchase, so that's alot of thinking time. Hopefully I'll get a test ride soon then I should have a better idea of what I'm after and I'll put the matter to rest for a bit.

Extra weight wise looking at ablut 2lb or 1kg difference - which isn't alot - unless you plan on racing. I may look at getting into some xc type racing in the next few years, so I guess that's partly what I'm basing my decision on, and the fact that I'm not currently an aggressive sort of rider, adventourous but cautious at the same time.
    energetix

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mandkthomas
    - Very plush on trails around my neighborhood (Wakefield, Accotink, VA)

20/20 Hindsight:
    I wouldn't trade for a Trance now, the extra travel is just too nice, at very little compromise in weight. Just get one, and go riding, you'll be glad you did!
    Hey- I just rode accotink today on my Hardtail, leaving the Reign 2 at home. Nothing beats a hardtail for logs and climbs. However, the Reign is so choice at places like gambrill

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I definately like technical climbing on the Reign better. The rear suspension keeps things more planted. I like the Rockhopper on switchbacks (up or down) because it turns so quickly. This advantage is lost if the switchbacks are bermed (like at wakefield), I just lean more.

No question, a lighter bike is easier to climb over logs though, and there are enough of those at Accotink to keep me from getting rid of the hardtail.

If I see you, I'll be on one of these (try to ride 2 or 3 days a week):
    Red Rock Hopper
    Silver (of course) Reign 3

MTB B'dos
    I'd have to say that scale hasn't quite got the weight right for the Reign, as 13kg would translate into 28.6lbs and that's the sort fo weight you get to with some serious upgrades/mods on the Reign. My Trance3 22"/XL weighed in at 32lbs stock (that's w/ the stock 505 pedals it came with) and don't thnk you'd loose more than a 1/2lb for the frame size difference. More likely weight is around 31-32lbs for the Reign. I'll get my Trance on a scale soon and see what it weighs now with some upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Energetix, I have a near standard 2005 reign2 16 inch. Only mods are an 8 inch disc on the front and a set of kenda nevegal 2.1 dtc wire bead tyres. On the digital bathroom scales ( I cant guarantee the accuracy ! ) it weighs 13 kgs. I hope this helps. I would be keen to hear what other 16 inch 2005 R2's weigh.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronm_99
    All my riding is on Colorado's Front range. So, I can see where having the reign's extra travel might come in handy. But, with that being said most of my riding is XC - aggressive XC with 2-3 foot drops, baby heads, etc. With that being said I don't think I would ever need the the Reign's extra travel and weight unless I start going up to the ski resorts during the summer. For general trail riding I think the trance should be more than adequate. However, I'm still debating because I would rather have the extra travel and not need it, than need it and not have it. I'm just curious how the small differences in geometry between the VT/Trance/Reign will affect the handling of the bike.

Cameron
    My local stomping ground is Colorado's Front Range. The last two seasons was spent on a 4" Travel Turner. I sold it and bought a Reign, as 4" just isn't enough for *me*. The few times I've been out on the trails this winter I had no problem using 90% of the Reign's travel..... and you know the Trails here ain't getting any buffer.

See ya on the trails.... I'm hard to miss as I'm allways with my wife who rides a Pink Titus Moto-lite.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.