2010 Glory custom FR

Trance, Reign, Glory, co-pivot... wearing out?

Hi Guys and Gals,
    Giant have been using co-pivot design on Trance, Trance X and Reign for over a year.
    I have just noticed that there was no bushing in shocks bottom eye and 15mm aluminium axle goes directly thru shocks piston.
    As we know, bushing wear out. They are made to. When they do, you buy new. They cost peanuts.
    But, what about now? Did Giant, somehow, managed to minimize the movement between axle and shocks eye? Is axle covered with Teflon, or something, to reduce friction and wearing?
    Glory 2010 uses same/similar co-pivot design. But its bottom link moves further up as suspension compresses... May it have any influence on axle/shock joint?
    pozdro
    frango

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    I replaced my air shock with a spring shock last night and noticed that too, to me it looks like the two plastic spacers on each side either wear out in diameter or thickness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frango
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    Giant have been using co-pivot design on Trance, Trance X and Reign for over a year.
    I have just noticed that there was no bushing in shocks bottom eye and 15mm aluminium axle goes directly thru shocks piston.
    As we know, bushing wear out. They are made to. When they do, you buy new. They cost peanuts.
    But, what about now? Did Giant, somehow, managed to minimize the movement between axle and shocks eye? Is axle covered with Teflon, or something, to reduce friction and wearing?
    Glory 2010 uses same/similar co-pivot design. But its bottom link moves further up as suspension compresses... May it have any influence on axle/shock joint?

That's a great question and I hope others will respond with insight. I am guessing that Giant doesn't feel there is that much stress on the lower shock mount. It certainly doesn't move much. Plus the larger diameter is less likely to cause damage IMO. But if something does happen, the shock is toast.

MAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Four Bearings...

There is no relative motion between the shock and the lower pin. instead the lower pin rotates relative to the frame on the inboard bearings (pressed into the frame), and the lower suspension arm rotates relative to the pin and frame on the outboard bearings (pressed into the arms). Thus the name "Co-pivot".

Really need to keep an eye on the lower bearings during maintenance though, because if the bearings seize the pin and shock will wear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just had to replace the Fox bearing and reducers on the upper shock mount because there was play after a year of hard riding. The lower still looks brand new. I am not concerned.