Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trance and Reign available now?

8K views 75 replies 21 participants last post by  TheSherpa 
#1 ·
I saw both on the trail today...but then we are fairly close to Giant's HQ, so I wasn't sure if maybe these were some "insiders."

#8 ·
well, when you get these bikes in store, can you measure the exact weight of the reign bike ( i'm interesting in reign 2), becuase i've read in december issue of MBUK and they tested reign 1. they also measured the weight and they say 32lbs, which is hardly belivable. can anyone confirm that.

#9 ·
mtic said:
well, when you get these bikes in store, can you measure the exact weight of the reign bike ( i'm interesting in reign 2), becuase i've read in december issue of MBUK and they tested reign 1. they also measured the weight and they say 32lbs, which is hardly belivable. can anyone confirm that.
That sounds a lot more plausible than the 28 pounds for the reign 1 that i have seen.

#11 ·
Warthog said:
I'd expect the top of the line version with Crossmax wheels to be 30lbs or under, too though.
I've got a Kona Dawg Deelux...by no means a light bike, and it weighs ~30lbs, and that's with heavy Mavic 223's and Deore hubs.
Will be able to tell you by next week what these bikes weigh, as the Giant Rep called today and said the Trance and Reign will be in next week.

#13 ·
danmtchl said:
For all your future Trance owners the first batch of Trance 4's came in today. What an awesome ride.
Not to rain on the Trance parade, because it looks to be a very sweet ride, but I am an NRS fan. Did you happen to receive any NRS models yet. Thanks.

Neil

#15 ·
danmtchl said:
No not yet but expect them sometime this month. I had and NRS but someone else liked it better than I. Great bike also.

Dan
I have an NRS 2 on order. I hope it to be here (Toronto, Canada) in a couple of weeks according to Giant. Even though I likely won't be able to ride it, I am anxious to see it. I am not even sure 100% of the Cdn spec, but apparently it is very similar to the US. I just want a composite frame with good components, the usual from Giant. I got a sweet deal, I know I won't be dissappointed, I am just impatient. Giant still has not updated the Cdn website.

Neil

#17 ·
b12yan88 said:
No pictures, no news, no weights ? lol, Can you give us some more information
b12yan88, I am not sure of your questions. I don't have the bike yet, so I can't comment on your questions. When I get it, I will be posting pics for sure. Perhaps your response was regarding the Trance 4?

Neil

#19 ·
Hows the suspension working?

mtbmeister said:
b12yan88, I am not sure of your questions. I don't have the bike yet, so I can't comment on your questions. When I get it, I will be posting pics for sure. Perhaps your response was regarding the Trance 4?

Neil
Thinking about getting the Trance frame set. Going to use it more for trails then XC. Is the ride plush or firm? Thanks.

#22 ·
Hey Danmtchl,
Would like to know the weights and general overall impression of the whole Trance line as you get them in. I personally think there is a Trance2 in my future but would like to hear info at all. Gotta figure that if the Trance4 rides well than certainly the higher market versions will also. Looking foward to whatever info you got...

#23 ·
CDtofer said:
Hey Danmtchl,
Would like to know the weights and general overall impression of the whole Trance line as you get them in. I personally think there is a Trance2 in my future but would like to hear info at all. Gotta figure that if the Trance4 rides well than certainly the higher market versions will also. Looking foward to whatever info you got...

The 18in Trance 4 weighed in at 33.25 lbs but did'nt really feel like it when you are riding it. After we weighed it we swapped out some parts and made it lighter(This is my bosses bike) and took it out for a spin. My first impression on the stock bike is ditch the fork. The rear suspension works well, cannot really feel the bumps, it smooth's things out very well and pedals excellent. I think tomorrow we will put my RP3 shock on there and see how it works on it.

#24 ·
danmtchl said:
The 18in Trance 4 weighed in at 33.25 lbs but did'nt really feel like it when you are riding it. After we weighed it we swapped out some parts and made it lighter(This is my bosses bike) and took it out for a spin. My first impression on the stock bike is ditch the fork. The rear suspension works well, cannot really feel the bumps, it smooth's things out very well and pedals excellent. I think tomorrow we will put my RP3 shock on there and see how it works on it.
sweet you got a trance!!! post some pics of that baby!! Im considering selling my NRS and building up a Trance Frame.

#25 ·
danmtchl said:
Thanks for sharing danmtchl!

That sounds a bit heavy, though I guess this is the 4. Hopefully the 1 will be quite a bit lighter. Any chance you want to strip it bare and weigh the frame for us? ;) :D Just thought I'd ask.

Please share any more impressions you have.

Cheers!
-Ian

#26 ·
I am stripping my 2 to a frame in two weeks...

I will certainly post results. Same for the Reign 3...It will be stripped Nekkid and rebuilt. Hang tight. I am buildingt these guys up as light as is stupidly possible...but not "stupid light". I can't wait, either. Expect Maverick forks, carbon/Ti everywhere, etc, blah blah. My goal is a 24-5# Trance, and a 25-6 # reign. We will see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.