mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trance owners - why is rear brake cable not stealth routed?

As title says - I have a 2014 Trance 27.5 1 and both ders and seatpost are stealthed, but the rear brake is externally clipped on all the way. There's a stealth knockout, but it's empty at that point.

Looking online, all the images I see have the rear brake run through the downtube, but my setup sure looks original, down to the blank KO at the bottom and cute little plastic clips all the way down the tube.

http://fm-classifieds-production.s3....e_IMG_1293.JPG

I figure there must be a reason. Not sure I care enough to deal with disconnecting and rerouting... just curious what it is.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mine is on the frame as well and I plan on routing it internally, you just need to get your lbs to get you a two cable grommet for the top hole.

I figure the brake cable should go inside and if I get a rear shock with remote it will get run up the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    They probably buy these brakes pre-bled at the right length hose and they just clip it to the frame and pass it down the manufacturing line. No need to spend money and time on cutting the hose, running it through the frame and bleeding the brake. Reduced production costs, more profit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I switched the original brakes on Trance SX to Shimano XTs and routed internally at that point. Super easy to do.

Cleans up the look as well. Still haven't go around to routing the dropper internally yet. I have a KS Lev Integra waiting to be installed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks gang - appreciate the feedback. Preassembled makes sense, though it sure clutters up an otherwise super clean looking bike.
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Mine came routed through the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mine also.
    Giant Trance 1 27.5, 2014
    Scott Spark 40, 2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Piece of speaker wire threaded through the top hole, feed it down the frame and grab it with needle nose pliers, tape the end of hose to wire and pull through.

Simple, then struggle to bleed the brake to get it feeling lie it was before!! thats the annoying part.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewire88 View Post
    Simple, then struggle to bleed the brake to get it feeling lie it was before!! thats the annoying part.
    Exactly...

Noticed yesterday, it looks like there's a stealth route for the rear der in the chainstay too. As with my rear brake line, it's surface mounted with factory mounts and clips. Weird.
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

Your Best Friend
    They come from Giant set up externally. If yours was routed internally, it's because your shop took the extra time during build-up to change the routing. It really isn't worth the shops time unless a customer asks for it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the explanation, that makes good sense.

I'll probably reroute the der next time I'm fiddling with it. Might leave the brakes well enough alone. Then again, this looks pretty straightforward:

Shorten Shimano Brake Hoses without Bleeding | Epic Bleed Solutions
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, that makes good sense.

I'll probably reroute the der next time I'm fiddling with it. Might leave the brakes well enough alone. Then again, this looks pretty straightforward:

Shorten Shimano Brake Hoses without Bleeding | Epic Bleed Solutions
    Thanks for the link. Bothers me too that it's not internally routed. But if I'm going to go through the trouble of rerouting and bleeding, I might as well upgrade the brakes to xt's. My 3 month old is at the shop for it's initial tune up and the front brakes have a leak at the olive - I'm sooo tempted to upgrade my brakes, but is it really worth it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd wonder that too. I have Deore's on my other bike... I can feel the difference, but it's really slight - SLX a little easier to operate one-fingered, but only marginally. Reach adjust is easier too, but honestly how big a deal is that?

Shimano SLX or XT brakes « Singletrack Forum
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have trance 3 with m395 brakes/levers so the upgrade may be more substantial... Keep trying to talk myself into and out of it lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Those look like the ones on my Kona. Honestly, no complaints. I did move the levers inboard to get the sweet spot located a little better. Otherwise, enjoy 'em.

My previous bike had Avids, and I constantly saw people *****ing about them. Never a peep in my two years of hard use. Forums are funny for giving you gear (and travel) envy. Realize that you're better equipped with the Acera group than half the people sharing your trails....!
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I never had any issue with the M505/M447 combo that came on my trance 2. Upgraded to xt with icetech rotors because i plan on doing lift access and brake fade was a concern.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    After bleeding my front brakes I still have an unpredictable lever feel during riding. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's super mushy. So screw it, I ordered XT brakes fr/rr with XT ice tech rotors.

What did you guys do with the rubber plugs on the frame for internal routing? Did you get new ones, cut a hole in the bottom one?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 Giant Defy 1
    2014 Cannondale Race 24