Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
    MTB B'dos

TRANCE - The Official thread, links, pics and info inside.

If you have a Trance please posts pics (action would be nice) and specs and any thing(s) you've had problems with/advice about stuff you've found out about them.

I thought I'd give this a shot since the Trance is becoming a very popular bike, maybe the admins will sticky it for easy access and reference. I'll go to the other threads on them and link back so everything's here, so check out the links below for previous discussion on the Trance. These are all I found, if you find more let me know and I'll add it to the list- (I've only gone through the GIANT forums, it will take time to search thriough the rest of the forums here, but I figure this will help anyone out who's looking for info on them..

Trance Bearing replacement How To. - Trance Bearing replacement How To.
    Trance Setup Database - Trance Setup Database
    New ENDURO Bearings, Almost new Trance. - New ENDURO Bearings, Almost new Trance
    Is '05 Trance 4 frame really the same as T1, 2, 3? - Is '05 Trance 4 frame really the same as T1, 2, 3?
    125mm fork on a trance - 125mm fork on a trance
    I want to swap NRS1 components to a Trance? - I want to swap NRS1 components to a Trance?
    Trance / Reign vs Motolite - Trance / Reign vs Motolite
    140-mm fork on Trance - 140-mm fork on Trance
    Trance 2 - Weight and climbing - Trance 2 - Weight and climbing
    07 Trance Frame Weight? Anyone got one yet - 07 Trance Frame Weight? Anyone got one yet
    Reign or Trance? - Reign or Trance?
    Trance 2 noise when pedaling at high torque - Trance 2 noise when pedaling at high torque
    2007 trance 3 - rear shock - 2007 trance 3 - rear shock
    How rugged is your Trance.... - How rugged is your Trance?
    Tance 3 or VT 2 - Tance 3 or VT 2
    Does the trance have pedal bob? - Does the trance have pedal bob?
    L/XL Trance owners - L/XL Trance owners
    Trance "tuning" - Trance "tuning"
    Trance not measuring up - Trance not measuring up
    Trance frame weight (medium) - Trance frame weight (medium)
    I have a question: Trance or Reign? - I have a question: Trance or Reign?
    Trance 3 w/ Trace 2 components? (LBS offer) - Trance 3 w/ Trance 2 components? (LBS offer)
    Trance Owners Help! - Trance Owners Help!
    Finallly got my TRANCE 1 - Finallly got my TRANCE 1
    Racing a Trance? - Racing a Trance?
    Fork Setting - ROCKSHOX REBA- Trance 2 - Fork Setting - ROCKSHOX REBA- Trance 2
    Trance build up pics - Trance build up pics
    Trance 1 frame weight - Trance 1 frame weight
    Painting a TRANCE frame - Painting a TRANCE frame
    Trance 2 - Frame Paint - Trance 2 - Frame Paint
    Thinking of the Trance 2... - Thinking of the Trance 2...
    Trance 1 article in May 05 MBA - Trance 1 article in May 05 MBA
    trance 4! - trance 4!
    Tall riders on a Trance? - Tall riders on a Trance?
    Sizing a Trance 2 - Getting Ready to Buy - Sizing a Trance 2 - Getting Ready to Buy
    Maestro suspension questions - Maestro suspension questions
    Trance 3 reviews? - Trance 3 reviews?
    Trance Chain line probems - Trance Chain line probems
    Trance tuning suggestions welcome - Trance tuning suggestions welcome
    Trance/Reign Air?? - Trance/Reign Air??
    Trance or Reign? - Trance or Reign?
    Trance geometry questions - Trance geometry questions
    Trance Frame Question - Trance Frame Question
    Trance and Reign cable routing problems -Trance and Reign cable routing problems
    Trance frame holes - Trance frame holes
    Trance 3 FINALLY got it - Trance 3 FINALLY got it
    Trance 1 built up, sweet - Trance 1 built up, sweet
    2004 VT2 sold: Trance1 on order!!! - 2004 VT2 sold: Trance1 on order!!!
    Talus RLC on 14.5 Trance 1 - Talus RLC on 14.5 Trance 1
    Trance...Bike of the Year - Trance...Bike of the Year
    trance sizing - trance sizing
    Pics of my Trance - Pics of my Trance
    Trance vs NRS - Trance vs NRS
    Trance frame prices - Trance frame prices
    Trance Geometry - Trance Geometry
    T3 w/ Manitou BLACK Super '04 - thoughts? - T3 w/ Manitou BLACK Super '04 - thoughts?
    Trance Or Reign,what Happend To Vt - Trance Or Reign,what Happend To Vt
    What would you Upgrade on a Trance3 ? - What would you Upgrade on a Trance3 ?
    Specs on GIANT web site - Specs on GIANT web site
    Trance Ride Impressions... - Trance Ride Impressions...
    Trance vs. Reign - Trance vs. Reign
    Trance seatpost dia.? - Trance seatpost dia.?
    official msrp of Trance frame? - official msrp of Trance frame?
    Trance shock length - Trance shock length
    Float R - Float R
    Trance sizing? - Trance sizing?
    Reign vs. Trance - Reign vs. Trance
    Trance 2 weight - Trance 2 weight
    Short Trance and REign review on MBA - Short Trance and REign review on MBA
    Trace Prices? - Trance Prices?
    Trance and Reign available now? - Trance and Reign available now?
    Giant frame quality?-I'm falling into a TRANCE - Giant frame quality?-I'm falling into a TRANCE
    Trance Weights? - Trance Weights?
    if and when I get that Trance frame - if and when I get that Trance frame
    2005 TRANCE Frame sizes and geometry - 2005 TRANCE Frame sizes and geometry
    Trance Pics - Trance Pics
    Trance not VPP-esque, says Whyte (xpost) - Trance not VPP-esque, says Whyte (xpost)
    Trance q & a in MBA, sort of - Trance q & a in MBA, sort of
    Trance 1 and Reign 1 FULL Specs - Trance 1 and Reign 1 FULL Specs
    2005 Giant Trance - 2005 Giant Trance
    Last edited by LyNx; 11-05-2006 at 04:52 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just got this yesterday, so not been out on it yet other than a couple of spins round the block.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here is mine. I am 5'7, 170-175lbs. I ride the Medium 16" frame, i set the RP3 shock to about 180psi and the rebound about 4-5 clicks from the "fast" end, and mostly ride it on the medium setting. My bike as it is in the photo is about 31lbs bathroom scale weight.

I was sized right between a 16 and 18 inch frame size, but chose the 16 cause it is smaller and lighter and don't regret it. I also switched out my fork from a 21" crown height 130mm to a 19" 100mm travel and really love the more aggressive riding position. I would deffinatly reccomend a 100mm/4" travel shock, if you want more travel up front you probably need to move to a Reign.

Um... Only thing I need to really be happy is a lighter wheel/tire set. My Deore 475 hubs and 321 mavics are much to heavyweight for my taste! I am currently getting some DT Swiss 4.1d's on Hope XC's and going to run those tubeless with Panaracer Trailblasters. Should save 2-3 lbs I think.

Here's the Specs
    -Grips - ODI YETI's
    -Bar - Easton MonkeyLite Carbon - Uncut
    -Stem - Ritchey Pro Adjustable Stem
    -Fork - Manitou Minute 2:00
    -Seatpost - Thomson
    -Seat - Don't know, fits my butt and is old as all get out
    -Brakes - Hayes HFX-9 - 6" rotors
    -Shifters - Deore
    -Derailuers - XT front and rear
    -Cranks - Race face ride and OEM raceface BB
    -Wheelset - Mavic 321 with Deore 475 Hubs
    -Tires - Wire bead Panaracer Fire XC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GiantDS3; 06-17-2005 at 03:45 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantDS3
    Here is mine. I am 5'7, 170-175lbs. I ride the Medium 16" frame, i set the RP3 shock to about 180psi and the rebound about 4-5 clicks from the "fast" end, and mostly ride it on the medium setting. My bike as it is in the photo is about 31lbs bathroom scale weight.

I was sized right between a 16 and 18 inch frame size, but chose the 16 cause it is smaller and lighter and don't regret it. I also switched out my fork from a 21" crown height 130mm to a 19" 100mm travel and really love the more aggressive riding position. I would deffinatly reccomend a 100mm/4" travel shock, if you want more travel up front you probably need to move to a Reign.

Um... Only thing I need to really be happy is a lighter wheel/tire set. My Deore 475 hubs and 321 mavics are much to heavyweight for my taste! I am currently getting some DT Swiss 4.1d's on Hope XC's and going to run those tubeless with Panaracer Trailblasters. Should save 2-3 lbs I think.
    Cool bike man.... In your place I'd change the 475 hubs for a set of 515's or 525's... the 475's have not seals and it's a pain to keep them running smooth requiring constant maintenance. From the 515's and up, Shimano stuff is basically maintenance free.

Lucky bastids... all of you on Trances.....
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice bike, and same size as mine.

I'm about 5'8" and went for the 16" frame as well with a thompson layback post. It's feeling pretty good riding about town and down the odd set of steps etc. I'm about the same weight etc as yourself, so I'll try your settings out.

Got my fox vanilla Rs set to 100mm of travel, toying with the idea of moving them back up to 125mm, gonna try them in Glentress tomorrow at 100mm though.

Only things I'll be changing are the cables to nokons when I get the extension kit, and the front mech which the shop fitted as they only had Alivios in stock.

the way my XTR rear mech is set currently has it bashing off the chainstay, can I cure this with the B adjust screw or shoulf I use a chainstay protector to stop paint damage etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had to sell my $3000 custom Haro Werks bike to pay off some bills so I had limited cash to spend on a new bike. I eventually went with the Trance 4 because it has an amazing framset and I could care less about derailleurs/shifters and stuff like that. The only downside are the brakes and fork, but I can honestly say its the nicest feeling bike i've ever ridden, even with V-brakes and a crap fork. I'm so stoked about it im already planning on uprading the fork and brakes. Im 5'9 and im riding the 18" and i've never had more fun riding a bike then this one.!

I would post pics but as is its stock and a tad ugly due to the parts haha

Though the frame is....so nice.

MTB B'dos
    Guys thanks for posting up these first pics and the info and getting this thread rolling. Hopefully it will be a place that anyone interested in getting a Trance or who has one and wants info can come to find it.

Mars why don't you edit your post and ad the specs for that nice ride, doesn't look quite "stock"

Quote Originally Posted by Domdil
    I had to sell my $3000 custom Haro Werks bike to pay off some bills so I had limited cash to spend on a new bike. I eventually went with the Trance 4 because it has an amazing framset and I could care less about derailleurs/shifters and stuff like that.
    Sorry to hear that man, at least you've now got a good start towards another great bike

I would post pics but as is its stock and a tad ugly due to the parts haha

Though the frame is....so nice.
    Post 'em anyways, I'd like to see how the darker blue of the T4 frame looks.

Will be trying to get some decent pics of mine this weekend to post up - hopefully a few action shots would be nice. She's an almost stock T3 w/ changed stem & HB (Bontrager Race Lite 31.8), REBA SL fork(motion control rocxz) and crankset & BB - crappy a$$ RF RSX ISIS BB crapped out in about 3 weeks and had this old maybe Deore square taper BB and crankset around. Did a bit of switching over chainrings from the RF set that came with the bike and got the cheapo Shimano set down to around 1.5lbs instead of a hefty 2+lbs. Looking to upgrade to a XT Hollowtech external BB crankset as soon as I can afford it.
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-17-2005 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars2003
    Just got this yesterday, so not been out on it yet other than a couple of spins round the block.

Bike Set up as Requested.

Custom Build

16" Trance Frameset
    Monkeylite Carbon low risers
    X-Lite Disco barplugs
    RaceFace Deus Stem
    Hayes HFX MAG Disc Brakes
    Fox Vanilla R 125 forks set at 100mm Travel
    Thompson Seat Post
    Fizik Gobi "wing flex" saddle
    Hope Seat Tube QR
    Shimano XTR rear Mech
    Shimano Alivio Front Mech
    Shimano XT HTII crankset
    SRAM PC99 Chain
    Egg Beater pedals
    XT Cassette
    Mavic 717 disc rims lace to XT disc Hubs via DB spokes (cups or cones undid themselves today on the trails Didn't slow me down at all )

Can say that the bike climbs really good, and compared to my old Trek Fuel, I was really fast through swooping twisting singletrack today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Finally got my 18"....wrong size???? UGH!

Ok, I waited 2 months for my 18" Trance 2. The shop folks insisted that I have too long of a torso for the 16", but now I'm not sure. I'm 5'8" (barely) with a 29.75 - 30" inseam. When I stand over the 18", I have very little, if any room. Basically, the bar is 'resting' against the...er...goods. :-) I can lift the front end and there is about 1.5-2" of space, but the bar is pretty well jammed in my crotch.

When I stand over the 16" (A trance 3), I have lots of room. 3-4" of space under front tire when it is lifted (maybe more, i didn't measure exactly). Riding around on the 16" feels nimble, while the 18" feels "stable". I haven't started messing with stems, etc., but I'm a little nervous that I purchased the wrong bike. Am I going about the sizing the right way?

I've only been riding for about 4 years, so I'm not an expert in how the bike is 'supposed' to feel. I had a GF Kai-Tai hard tail first and it was a 15.5". It was small and kinda unstable at high speeds, but nimble as heck and fun. I then got a Sugar 3+ in a Medium (they have long top-tubes) and the bike never felt right. Always felt too big, but the shop guys thought I looked good on it.

I want to know if I'm all screwed up in the head and the 18" is the right bike, or if going with something that feels small and nimble is a good idea. I just dropped $2700, so I'm freakin out a bit :-).

I'll post my pic and specs next....if I change anything, it would only be the size of the frame.
    Last edited by kiva; 06-18-2005 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Here's what I did get...

Here's what I did buy....I may get the 16" depending on some more test rides and info gathered here...

All parts are stock trance 2 except the following:

XT Cassette
    Easton Carbon Fiber Riser Bar
    Crossmax XL Wheelset (paid an extra $309 w/ trade in of original wheels)

I dumped the rapid-rise too, but that was just a straight swap w/ XT. Also put on my Serfas ARC Dual Density Pro saddle, but not sure if that's an 'upgrade' from the WTB Rocket V (??? opinions welcome)

I got a new Pearl Bib ($90) and they tosssed in a T-shirt :-). $2767 w/ taxes....

weight: 28.8lbs

anyway...we'll see about the frame size, but I think it looks good...
    Last edited by kiva; 06-18-2005 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice bike Kiva, I tried to wangle a black frameset for myself but obviously failed . Don't worry too much about the size, I think at 5'8" we're both in between sizes and can adjust either bikes cockpit to fit us. Keep us posted on what you do settle for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

18" may be good for you

In response to kiva's quesiton, here is what I think. I am 5 feet 75 inch tall and have a long torso, just like kiva.

I just bought a Trance 2 two days ago. Although I have been riding a VT with a 16.5 frame, I thought I want to try a bigger frame. So when I bought the Trance 2, I went for the 18" frame.

Before I bought the 18", I have tested riding on a 16". The LBS did not have a 18" for test ride.

I grabbed my bike on Friday's night. When I first rode on it, I felt it was a bit oversized. Questions came to my mind as to whether the 18" frame was too big for me.

However, after riding the bike for around 1 hour and 45 minutes on Sunday morning, I came to the conclusion that 18" is a good fit for me. The bike is stable and I feel very relaxed on it, even though that I have to lean a bit more forward than riding my 16.5" VT.

Just like Kiva, clearance between my ??? and the top tube is just around 1". One my VT, the clearance is around 2".

I will use my VT for free-riding. It is more nimble, which is good for rding on difficult terrain. However, for XC riding, I will use my Trance 2, which gives a much more stable feeling.

Hope that I can kiva's question.

Kingswoodkc (in Hong Kong)

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by kiva
    When I stand over the 16" (A trance 3), I have lots of room. 3-4" of space under front tire when it is lifted (maybe more, i didn't measure exactly). Riding around on the 16" feels nimble, while the 18" feels "stable". I haven't started messing with stems, etc., but I'm a little nervous that I purchased the wrong bike. Am I going about the sizing the right way?

I want to know if I'm all screwed up in the head and the 18" is the right bike, or if going with something that feels small and nimble is a good idea. I just dropped $2700, so I'm freakin out a bit :-).
    frame.
    Well I have only been riding a year and change so I'm less experienced, but I've tried to learn as much as I can in that little time. W/ my XL/22" T3 all I had to go on was my first bike- a 20" DB COIL- and it felt to small for me so I figured a bit more room would be good. I'm 6' 2 1/4" and I have about 2" clearance on mine.

Best thing I could advise you to do is take it for a nice long ride w/ a bit of everything in there and see how it feels -
    Does it handle speed well (feel stable)?
    Does it handle tight twisty stuff (can you manuvere it around easily)?
    Does it feel good for a long ride of 2 hours (comfortable, no back ache, leg cramp etc)?

After this I figure you can make a better decission about which frame suits you and I'm sure that the bike shop will not quible about you exchanging the 18" for a 16" if the bike isn't right for you. Remember that fit is the most important thing on a bike, doesn't matter if you get it for a steal of adeal if it doesn't fit right it's gona give you aches and pains and maybe some medical bills.

BTW sweet ride, I too am longing after a set of CrossMax.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, my conclusion from comparing the geometry data from the website, is that for us guys right in the middle, it shouldn't make a LOT of difference.

The differences in Geometry (as published mind you, Giant might make the bikes not per specs given on their website).

Top Tube is 0.8 inches longer on the 18"
    Wheel base is 0.9 inches longer for the 18"

So that should explain why the 18 would feel more stable, it is a little longer... but the differences are not that substantial and you could replicate the geometry with careful part choices e.g. a longer stem, layback seatpost, long fork.

I prefer the 16" myself, where I ride in Texas we have a fair amount of rocky ledges to assend and descend and I feel that I can come out of my riding position faster to deal with that terrain then I could with the "racier" cockpit position the 18" would put me in. Now if you look at my bike, you can tell I have the seatpost pretty high which is an indicator that I am at the upper size range for the 16"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

terrain...

thanks for the input, folks. To state the obvious, that's exactly how I feel: between sizes. Quite aggravating :-)

Most of the terrain I ride is technical rocky stuff (lava cap). Here are some examples of the type of stuff we ride:

http://www.chicomtnbikers.com/images...-14-05_001.JPG

http://www.chicomtnbikers.com/images...-14-05_013.JPG

can't say either one of those are me though :-)....Of course, it's not *all* like that, but one MTB group used to call themselves the "lava pounders" and anybody riding a hard-tail usually gets a "wow, that's gotta be tough..."

I can't take the bike on a "real" ride, which is unfortunate. I did set up the 16" and took that around a bit and then hopped right on the 18". The difference wasn't as dramatic as I thought it might be, but was definitely there. Of the stats stated above, I'd agree with the TT and wheelbase lengths, but the standover height difference is more than that, IMO.

Anyway, I still don't know what I'm going to do. I think finding out on Monday just how long i'd have to wait for a 16" may influence my decision. It is nice to know that I won't really be messed up either way, but I just need to find out which I prefer.

I appreciate hearing of your experiences with sizing and eagerly anticipate further responses.

Thanks.

matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Rocky terrain

If you frequently ride that kind of rocky terrain, I think that you should choose a REIGN instead of a TRANCE. A 16" inch REIGN will perfectly suit your riding style.

I am not sure if TRANCE will be able to constantly take those relatively hard hits that those rocky terrain will produce.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

very good point....

Quote Originally Posted by kingswoodkc
    If you frequently ride that kind of rocky terrain, I think that you should choose a REIGN instead of a TRANCE. A 16" inch REIGN will perfectly suit your riding style.

I am not sure if TRANCE will be able to constantly take those relatively hard hits that those rocky terrain will produce.

excellent point. I actually was able to demo the reign and it was like steering a tank. Freakin' heavy as heck and I hated it. It was an 18, though, which may have played a role. If I was a "fast downhill" type of rider, I think I would agree with you more. However, I'm more of a climber and, at my age, coupled with a strong desire to not hurt myself, I don't tend to ride too fast downhill or go all bomber crazy.

I have found that I am happiest on something that climbs well and descends well-enough to suck up most of what I thrown at it.

Your comment will cause me to take a 2nd look at the reign, but the weight scares me a bit...i'm fat enough as it is..i don't need another 4 lbs to lug uphill :-)

Thanks so much for your input...it is truly appreciated...

matt
    Last edited by kiva; 06-19-2005 at 08:23 PM.

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004

Riding Shots Inside......

Trance riding shots.........
    Last edited by j.king; 06-19-2005 at 09:12 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Nice J.King, wish I could get some action shots of myself - no luck this weekend with getting any. What's the specs on that rig? Only thing I can tell (I'm pretty sure at least ) is it's a custom build of the frameset using a RS fork - either REBA or SID.
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-20-2005 at 03:10 AM.

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004

Close......

Psylo.........

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trance 2

I've had my Trance 2 for two months now. Awsome. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and ride a 20" frame and it fits me perfectly. Paid $2000 here in Little Rock. The only thing I've changed is the sorry Bulldog tires. Went with some Panaracer Fire XC's. Much better. Later.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by bbyrd
    I've had my Trance 2 for two months now. Awsome. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and ride a 20" frame and it fits me perfectly. Paid $2000 here in Little Rock. The only thing I've changed is the sorry Bulldog tires. Went with some Panaracer Fire XC's. Much better. Later.
    Strange, we're both the same height and I find the 22" fits me right. Although I couldn't test ride any size before I got it, just new the 20" DB I had before it felt a bit small.

J.King how come you went with the pyslo, just had it around? How's the bike ride w/ that extra travel upfront? Is that 125mm travel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trance 2

I tested an 18" Reign and of course it was way to small, I then jumped on the Trance 20" and it felt perfect. I didn't even try out a 22". In the past, I've always had 19" bikes, specialized rockhopper and gary fisher mt. tam and all felt like a good fit. To big of a bike for me is not comfortable b/c I felt like I couldn't swing it around or manuvere it as good. Don't get me wrong, a 22" is probably the size I'd need, but I have had no pains or aches with the 20".

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by bbyrd
    I tested an 18" Reign and of course it was way to small, I then jumped on the Trance 20" and it felt perfect. I didn't even try out a 22". In the past, I've always had 19" bikes, specialized rockhopper and gary fisher mt. tam and all felt like a good fit. To big of a bike for me is not comfortable b/c I felt like I couldn't swing it around or manuvere it as good. Don't get me wrong, a 22" is probably the size I'd need, but I have had no pains or aches with the 20".
    Hum, maybe that's why I have some trouble negotiating some things on the trail, maybe it isn't all lack of skill - I mean that seriously- but I do think I prefer the compromise towards the bigger frame for long XC type rides. Also I think the extra length of the wheelbase of the 22" helps in stability and me feeling more "at ease" doing DH and especially steep/technical DH. Maybe I have a longer torso or just haven't been riding enough to really know what I like yet, just know that going to the Trance from a POS DB COIL X was like stepping from a Gremlin to a Porsche.

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Strange, we're both the same height and I find the 22" fits me right. Although I couldn't test ride any size before I got it, just new the 20" DB I had before it felt a bit small.

J.King how come you went with the pyslo, just had it around? How's the bike ride w/ that extra travel upfront? Is that 125mm travel?

I absolutely had to have a coil fork up front and it was the right price with the tunability options I was looking for.

It rides very well with that fork up front. Pretty sure it tops out at 115mm of travel. Rest of the bike is: Hone Dual Control Levers, Shimano LX everything else, and Shimano XT Wheels. Very very fast XC bike. Now it's only up to the tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wink

personally, I think the psylo is a good choice and im planning a fork upgrade for my trance 4 soon. Im trying to decide between a Duke SL, Psylo SL or reba SL, I rode a psylo SL last year and I loved it. I really like the simplicity of a coil fork, though I may spend the little extra cash to get a lighter fork in the reba. Time will tell. Once I get my new fork and brakes I will post a pic, all your bikes are great!!

(though I personally like the trance 4 frame the best :P haha )

mtbr member
    personally, I think the psylo is a good choice and im planning a fork upgrade for my trance 4 soon. Im trying to decide between a Duke SL, Psylo SL or reba SL, I rode a psylo SL last year and I loved it. I really like the simplicity of a coil fork, though I may spend the little extra cash to get a lighter fork in the reba. Time will tell. Once I get my new fork and brakes I will post a pic, all your bikes are great!!

I have had my bike before Christmas and love riding it every time. Here are the specs and Link to a pic of my ride.Trance Ride Impressions...

18" Trance Frameset
    Reba Race w/poploc
    DT Swiss Classic CL Wheelset
    Aerus Composite Riser Bar
    FSA OS-115 Stem
    Sram XO Derailleur/shifters
    XTR Front Derailleur
    Raceface Next LP Cranks
    Spada TI/Carbon ISIS BB
    Time XS carbon pedals
    Flite TT Saddle
    FRM Seatpost
    Shimano XT brakes
    IRD Metawire Cables
    WTB Weirwolf tires

I have changed the wheelset and seatpost on the bike since the pic was taken. I also have Silver carbon headset spacers on it, looks great with the silver graphics on the bike.

It is fully loaded

MTB B'dos

Well a certain person (Danmtchl) pointed me towards the REBA when I was looking at a swap for my DUKE XC that came on my T3 and I was a bit hesitant at first w/ all the air leak stories around and the fact that it was a new product, untested as such. Well I listened to him and a few others who also suggested it and went w/ the REBA SL and have been seriously pleased w/ it's performance so far - 1200 miles & 90+ hours and still working sweet. I am aiming to service it at the 100 or hour mark when I get back my DUKE fork as a backup, just in case I screw up the service.

Dan So you use the WTB Weirwolfs, what sort of terrain do you ride in? Going by my experience with them I woul.d have to guess sandy, very loose stuff. I got one and tried it as a front tire - IT SUCKED - nearly planted me in the ground on my first jump on hardpack. I will say that as a rear tire the Weirwolf really does work quite well reversed and gives some serious traction. I have the DNA compound version.
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-22-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004

Demoed Trance 2 last weekend

Thanks to Eric at B&E Bicycles here is State College PA (shameless plug), I got to demo a Trance 2 this past weekend. I rode for eight hours; 3.5 hours on Saturday and two 2-hour rides on Sunday. Not a bad way to spend Father's Day Here are my opinions.

Pros
    I have a '04 GF Tassajara with a Pilot fork. Because of the fork and the great suspension of the Trance, it pedalled better than my bike. The Trance does bob a little, but it was much less noticable on the Trance than on my hardtail with a soggy fork. Also, I did not feel any pedal feedback while braking or climbing hard. Pedalling is the strength of this bike.

I think this applies to FS bikes in general, but the hookup on steep, technical climbs is better than my hardtail. A hardtail has a very small balance point to keep the rear tire from spinning out. The Trance was much more forgiving and kept traction better.

The Trance handled well despite the tires. I've read others complaining about the bulldogs. This tires rolled well, but felt really loose on hard corners. They did not inspire confidence. The main point is that the Trance did handle well, on par with the Tass. I have ridden a better handling bike, a friends Salsa.

I was pleasantly surpised with the drive train and components. The Trance shifted smoothly. Rocket shifters with the brake levers would be very nice complement. I would put the brake levers on the inside of the shifters. The Reba fork had more bells, buzzers, and whistles than I'm used to. I tried a couple of different settings, but never got it dialed-in. I always felt more shock through my hands than through the rear suspension.

Cons I'm being critical here. These are nit-pics and personal preference.
    The Trance has low BB and pedal clearance compared to my Tass. I hit my pedals more this weekend than in the past year. Also, I hit the chain ring on logs that I havn't touch for quite a while.

Being used to a Gary Fisher, the cockpit of the Trance felt a little short. I'm still debating if this is a good thing or not.

I noticed the weight of the Trance. In general, I had more energy because it pedalled great and the benefits of the suspesion. But, accelerating on steep sections and kicking the rear-end over obstacles, I felt the extra weight. That said, all FS bikes are somewhat heavier.

Conclusion
    I have back problems and recently my back was in spasm requiring medical help. On Saturday, I rode the Trance for 3.5 hours with less back pain than a 2 hour ride on my hardtail. I normally can't ride for more than 45 minutes without getting off my bike to stretch.

While I was very impressed with the suspension, components, and value of the Trance 2, the jury is still out for me. The two biggest things that I noticed were how well the Trance pedalled and the low clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhsee
    Thanks to Eric at B&E Bicycles here is State College PA (shameless plug), I got to demo a Trance 2 this past weekend. I rode for eight hours; 3.5 hours on Saturday and two 2-hour rides on Sunday. Not a bad way to spend Father's Day Here are my opinions.

Pros
    I have a '04 GF Tassajara with a Pilot fork. Because of the fork and the great suspension of the Trance, it pedalled better than my bike. The Trance does bob a little, but it was much less noticable on the Trance than on my hardtail with a soggy fork. Also, I did not feel any pedal feedback while braking or climbing hard. Pedalling is the strength of this bike.

I think this applies to FS bikes in general, but the hookup on steep, technical climbs is better than my hardtail. A hardtail has a very small balance point to keep the rear tire from spinning out. The Trance was much more forgiving and kept traction better.

The Trance handled well despite the tires. I've read others complaining about the bulldogs. This tires rolled well, but felt really loose on hard corners. They did not inspire confidence. The main point is that the Trance did handle well, on par with the Tass. I have ridden a better handling bike, a friends Salsa.

I was pleasantly surpised with the drive train and components. The Trance shifted smoothly. Rocket shifters with the brake levers would be very nice complement. I would put the brake levers on the inside of the shifters. The Reba fork had more bells, buzzers, and whistles than I'm used to. I tried a couple of different settings, but never got it dialed-in. I always felt more shock through my hands than through the rear suspension.

Cons I'm being critical here. These are nit-pics and personal preference.
    The Trance has low BB and pedal clearance compared to my Tass. I hit my pedals more this weekend than in the past year. Also, I hit the chain ring on logs that I havn't touch for quite a while.

Being used to a Gary Fisher, the cockpit of the Trance felt a little short. I'm still debating if this is a good thing or not.

I noticed the weight of the Trance. In general, I had more energy because it pedalled great and the benefits of the suspesion. But, accelerating on steep sections and kicking the rear-end over obstacles, I felt the extra weight. That said, all FS bikes are somewhat heavier.

Conclusion
    I have back problems and recently my back was in spasm requiring medical help. On Saturday, I rode the Trance for 3.5 hours with less back pain than a 2 hour ride on my hardtail. I normally can't ride for more than 45 minutes without getting off my bike to stretch.

While I was very impressed with the suspension, components, and value of the Trance 2, the jury is still out for me. The two biggest things that I noticed were how well the Trance pedalled and the low clearance.
    Stick with you current bike, you seem to like the hardtail over a much better bike. But that is okay some people will swear buy their hardtails.

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl
    Stick with you current bike, you seem to like the hardtail over a much better bike. But that is okay some people will swear buy their hardtails.
    Not the impression that I was trying to give with my comments. Yes, there are few things that I preferred with the bike that I've ridden for a couple of years. But, that is quite natural, isn't it?

Overall, I was very impressed with the Trance and I hope that I did not convey a tone that was not intended.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhsee
    Not the impression that I was trying to give with my comments. Yes, there are few things that I preferred with the bike that I've ridden for a couple of years. But, that is quite natural, isn't it?

Overall, I was very impressed with the Trance and I hope that I did not convey a tone that was not intended.
    It was the message I got, but anyway's one thing I noticed in your posting is that the bike bottomed out due to a Low Bottom Bracket. I think you did not have the suspension setup correctly. You said you hit some logs and the pedals hit the ground.That sounds like the suspension was not set up correctly. I even asked the Giant rep today and he has never heard of this problem. The BB is 13 point something inches high. It is pretty high in most cases.

The Salsa does not compare to the Trance in Pedaling efficiency, ride quality, acceleration or anything for that matter.Your are comparing a Yugo to a Bentley. I have ridden and owned alot of FS bike and not all of them are heavy. I have seen in many FS bikes lighter than hardtails that ride like a dream. . You can't compare to Full suspension bike to a hardtail. They are 2 totally different bikes.

The Trance 2 was also the 4" travel bike of year. That's says alot figuring how many 4" travels bikes that are out there. Every magazine I have read has given it a great review. But not one has said anything about pedal bob. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Grinding noise in the freewheel of OEM dtswiss cerit on Trance 2

I am very annoyed and frustrated by the fact that there is grinding noise in the freewheel on the OEM dtswiss cerit rearhub that comes on my Trance 2.

I have had my Trance 2 for around 2-3 weeks and just had below 30km on it (98% on paved road). However, I am very annoyed by the grinding noise that comes from the freewheel of the dtswiss cerit. This happens when the bike is coasting. When I am pedalling, the noise disappears. That is why I am so sure that the noise comes from the freewheel.

The good news is that even there is grinding noise, the rearhub runs very smoothly, at pedalling or at coasting. However, my friend told me that because of the grinding noise, it is like I am riding a very old bike. This is very very frustrating to me.

I looked at the dtswiss website and they said that it takes some time for a new hub and the freewheel to break in because lubricants have not yet been evenly distributed. I am not sure if this is really the case or not. It does not mention noise if the rearhub is not broken in.

I feel really disappointed, frustrated and annoyed now. Is it a mechanical defect? OR is it just because the rearhub has not yet broken in?

If I ask my LBS for a replacement, I am not sure whether they will do it or not because the rearhub runs very very smooth, which does not justify a replacement.

Please advise!

"El Whatever"
    I am very annoyed and frustrated by the fact that there is grinding noise in the freewheel on the OEM dtswiss cerit rearhub that comes on my Trance 2.

I have had my Trance 2 for around 2-3 weeks and just had below 30km on it (98% on paved road). However, I am very annoyed by the grinding noise that comes from the freewheel of the dtswiss cerit. This happens when the bike is coasting. When I am pedalling, the noise disappears. That is why I am so sure that the noise comes from the freewheel.

The good news is that even there is grinding noise, the rearhub runs very smoothly, at pedalling or at coasting. However, my friend told me that because of the grinding noise, it is like I am riding a very old bike. This is very very frustrating to me.

I looked at the dtswiss website and they said that it takes some time for a new hub and the freewheel to break in because lubricants have not yet been evenly distributed. I am not sure if this is really the case or not. It does not mention noise if the rearhub is not broken in.

I feel really disappointed, frustrated and annoyed now. Is it a mechanical defect? OR is it just because the rearhub has not yet broken in?

If I ask my LBS for a replacement, I am not sure whether they will do it or not because the rearhub runs very very smooth, which does not justify a replacement.

Please advise!
    Some multiengagement freewheels do that... have you ever been close to a guy who's coasting a CK hub????

It drives you mad. A buddy of mine says about the CK's noise "if you want to sneak behind someone, you gotta pedal"
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

The noise is different

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Some multiengagement freewheels do that... have you ever been close to a guy who's coasting a CK hub????

It drives you mad. A buddy of mine says about the CK's noise "if you want to sneak behind someone, you gotta pedal"
    I understand what you meant. I know guys coasting a CK hub and a Ringle hub. But the noise is different. The noise that appears on my trance2' s freewheel is like that something is not lubricated or broken. It is like coasting a rusty hub.

MTB B'dos
    I understand what you meant. I know guys coasting a CK hub and a Ringle hub. But the noise is different. The noise that appears on my trance2' s freewheel is like that something is not lubricated or broken. It is like coasting a rusty hub.
    Best advice would be to ask - seems like you haven't asked or even told them about the strange noise. Only 30km in 3 weeks, man what control - I think I had in around 150 miles by my 2nd week. May be you got a hub not packed right or maybe the "needs to break in" idea is right and you just need to put some more miles on the bike.

Either way you have a terrific bike there and I can say this after the BB crapped out after only 200 miles and had to send the DUKE XC fork back after 3 weeks (for bad bushings) on my Trance3. I just passed 1,400 miles on my T3 and am still loving it

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was thinking of ordering a Trance 2.... what kind of riding does everyone use this bike for? Im not sure if it will be enough bike for me or not. Although I am used to a XC hardtail.. The things i dont like about it is the BB height, i cant hardly go over the log obstacles without hitting the cranks...
    I also like to jump it... some drops, but i also like climbing and going fast with some xc... is this the right bike for me or would i need something with more travel??
    Bascially, what kind of riding does everyone do with this bike?

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by ohhpe
    I was thinking of ordering a Trance 2.... what kind of riding does everyone use this bike for? Im not sure if it will be enough bike for me or not. Although I am used to a XC hardtail.. The things i dont like about it is the BB height, i cant hardly go over the log obstacles without hitting the cranks...
    I also like to jump it... some drops, but i also like climbing and going fast with some xc... is this the right bike for me or would i need something with more travel??
    Bascially, what kind of riding does everyone do with this bike?
    Me basically XC with some small jumps/drops nothing over 2ft for sure but it should handle 3ft fairly well. Sounds like maybe you'd be looking for a Reign - 6" travel and more of a FR/DH type bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

My Trance 3 in her natural surroundings

murdog
    Quote Originally Posted by kiva
    Here's what I did buy....I may get the 16" depending on some more test rides and info gathered here...

All parts are stock trance 2 except the following:

XT Cassette
    Easton Carbon Fiber Riser Bar
    Crossmax XL Wheelset (paid an extra $309 w/ trade in of original wheels)

I dumped the rapid-rise too, but that was just a straight swap w/ XT. Also put on my Serfas ARC Dual Density Pro saddle, but not sure if that's an 'upgrade' from the WTB Rocket V (??? opinions welcome)

I got a new Pearl Bib ($90) and they tosssed in a T-shirt :-). $2767 w/ taxes....

weight: 28.8lbs

anyway...we'll see about the frame size, but I think it looks good...
    Hey Kiva,
    Nice bike, you did the exact set up I was planning to do...Trance 2 with Cross max wheel upgrade. Did you happen to weigh both wheel sets, and what the actual diference in weight is?
    Thanks,
    Andrew

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    My first action shot on the Giant!

We were up at the kingdom trails in Vermont... it was an amazing ride!

Last edited by BigJay; 07-12-2005 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Keep that 18" KIVA !!!
    How would you feel when you going down over the rock, or in the air, or making difficult and danger jump or screaming down on very tight curve, on something which feels "kind of unstable" or "feels nimble"????.
    Be realistic most important is how stable you feel and how much control you get on you bike!!.
    I'm 6"2' and I ride 22" Trance 2. Some guys with my heights feel good on 20" but for me 20" feel "nimble".
    Dirt is good! :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Trance float r setup

Hi!
    I ride a T2 size 18 (I'm 183cm, 79kg) and I think it fit's perfectly. I ride it pretty much stock setup except for HFX-9 carbon brakes, XT-cassette, RE-1 pedals and Nokian NBX/Conti exploder supersonic tires.
    My question concerns pressures for the rear shock. What kind of pressures are you riding with? I've experimented with 150-190psi so far. I'll post a better pic soon. Here's a link to one (never mind the saddle position, which is now further front)..
    Last edited by niku; 07-23-2005 at 04:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Strange, by me, you should be on “Large”, mean 20” Trance, because you exactly 6’ tall.
    Weight that’s another important factor, people who weight less, like you (79kg = 174lb) are more flexible and feel more “comfy” on any bike.
    But most imported is, that you feel good on that size.
    In case of pressure of the rear shock, you can find set up procedure at maestro suspension web site:
    http://www.suspensionmadeharmonious.com
    under HOW IT WORKS and SET UP GUIDE.
    I found this setup to really work and help to eliminate so called "...low BB and pedal clearance to ground.." experienced by many riders.
    Hope that helps.
    Meak
    Last edited by meak; 07-23-2005 at 02:26 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by meak
    Strange, by me, you should be on “Large”, mean 20” Trance, because you exactly 6’ tall.
    Weight that’s another important factor, people who weight less, like you (79kg = 174lb) are more flexible and feel more “comfy” on any bike.
    But most imported is, that you feel good on that size.
    In case of pressure of the rear shock, you can find set up procedure at maestro suspension web site:
    http://www.suspensionmadeharmonious.com
    under HOW IT WORKS and SET UP GUIDE.
    I found this setup to really work and help to eliminate so called "...low BB and pedal clearance to ground.." experienced by many riders.
    Hope that helps.
    Meak
    We don't weigh less, we're not overweight is all we're pretty much smack on (maybe 5% light)

The Giant site is a bunch of crap to be frankly honest. I've found that I run my FloatR around 190-210lbs and I'm about 175-180lbs, w/ gear maybe 185-190. 190 feels kinda squishy soft for me and is good for real off-road trails w/ loads of bumps. 200-210 is prob a much better all round setup for me as it will handle the rough stuff pretty nicely but also make climbing a bit nicer/easier. Can't wait to get the money and for the FloatR to actually need servicing to send it to PUSH and get it set up custom.

Niku What sort of noise/sound are you getting? On occassion I can get a kinda clank sound which I think is the rear suspension bottoming out - only have heard it on really rough roads w/ deeps holes and/or if I run the pressure to low and hit some air.
    Last edited by LyNx; 07-26-2005 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Lynx I've had no extra sounds thus far. I only wanted to know how you guys set up the shocks to get the suspension to work optimally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niku
    Lynx I've had no extra sounds thus far. I only wanted to know how you guys set up the shocks to get the suspension to work optimally.
    Well.. "optimal" depends on your type of terrain.

On smoother flat and fast courses I will run 180psi, 4clicks from fast on the rebound and medium setting.

On rough rock garden rides I run the soft setting

When i climb long ****... hardtail mode for the shock.

If i know i am going to be hitting some drops or small jumps - 195psi, run on the medium setting

MTB B'dos

On smoother flat and fast courses I will run 180psi, 4clicks from fast on the rebound and medium setting.

If i know i am going to be hitting some drops or small jumps - 195psi, run on the medium setting
    What weight are you? Remeber he's running a T2 which only comes with the FloatR, NOT the RP3 so he can only adjust pressure and I'm not sure how that compares from the RP3 to the FloatR. Yes I agree with changing the pressure depending on what I know I'll be riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

frame size 16'' or 18''

I have the same problems. I'm almost 5' 7'' with a inseam of 28'' my torso is proportional. I cant not decided if i have to take a 16'' or a 18'' for my trance2. I ride more often on long fire road than on single track. I can only try the bikes on the parking lot. Can someone help me please. (sorry for my english cause i'm french speaking.
    Well, my conclusion from comparing the geometry data from the website, is that for us guys right in the middle, it shouldn't make a LOT of difference.

The differences in Geometry (as published mind you, Giant might make the bikes not per specs given on their website).

Top Tube is 0.8 inches longer on the 18"
    Wheel base is 0.9 inches longer for the 18"

So that should explain why the 18 would feel more stable, it is a little longer... but the differences are not that substantial and you could replicate the geometry with careful part choices e.g. a longer stem, layback seatpost, long fork.

I prefer the 16" myself, where I ride in Texas we have a fair amount of rocky ledges to assend and descend and I feel that I can come out of my riding position faster to deal with that terrain then I could with the "racier" cockpit position the 18" would put me in. Now if you look at my bike, you can tell I have the seatpost pretty high which is an indicator that I am at the upper size range for the 16"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

175lbs is my riding weight. I think the FloatR is similar in pressure setup as the RP3 it just does not have the propedal adjustment.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone running 130mm adjustable travel forks on their Trance? I'm thinking of fitting either some Manitou Mintute 3:00s or some Fox Talas to mine and was wondering about the handling and of course whether or not Giant would warranty my bike based on this mod. Reason I'm thinking about adjustable is so that I can guarantee climbing ability. For info I've currently got some Fox Vanilla R (100mm).

MTB B'dos
    Yes actually there have been several people mention that they've put up their Trance's using a 125mm fork. As for warranty I am also interested in this. DOn't think one inch more would throw off the geometry enough to cause structural frame problems myself.

Reason I'm thinking about adjustable is so that I can guarantee climbing ability. For info I've currently got some Fox Vanilla R (100mm).
    How are you going to guarantee climbing ability with a fork ???
    I thought it was the rider that was what made the bike climb using proper technique and body position.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    How are you going to guarantee climbing ability with a fork ???
    I thought it was the rider that was what made the bike climb using proper technique and body position.
    I think he means that both of those shocks have adjustable travel, so to aid in climbing you dial the travel to near zero and thus you get much better climbing ability with a near-rigid fork. This is very common, when i know i am going to be climbing around here in texas I usually run my RP3 on the stiff setting and raise my fork pressures also.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's exactly what I mean. I've tested a couple of bikes with forks that are travel adjustable and if left in the longest travel setting wander all over the shop when you're doing steep climbs. I test rode a Scott Genius when they fist came out with a Fox Talas, and the shop guy didn't mention you could drop the front for climbing so I had it set at maximum travel for my 4Hr test ride It was great at descending but was a nightmare for going up.

So to sum up, I could get my vanillas set at 125mm, but I wanted to see if there would be a trade off, or I could get a trail adjustable fork, or indeed I can stick with my Vanillas at 100mm.

MTB B'dos
    That's exactly what I mean. I've tested a couple of bikes with forks that are travel adjustable and if left in the longest travel setting wander all over the shop when you're doing steep climbs. I test rode a Scott Genius when they fist came out with a Fox Talas, and the shop guy didn't mention you could drop the front for climbing so I had it set at maximum travel for my 4Hr test ride It was great at descending but was a nightmare for going up.

So to sum up, I could get my vanillas set at 125mm, but I wanted to see if there would be a trade off, or I could get a trail adjustable fork, or indeed I can stick with my Vanillas at 100mm.
    I'd say stick with the Vanilla if you already own it and it's working good. The Trance is just sweet on decents, even the steep as hell ones. NO need for anything over 100mm on the Trance unless it's mainly DH you're doing, or at least no reason I see to buy a fork when you own a perfectly good one already. If it was for having lock-out for climbing etc I could understand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone running 130mm adjustable travel forks on their Trance? I'm thinking of fitting either some Manitou Mintute 3:00s or some Fox Talas to mine and was wondering about the handling and of course whether or not Giant would warranty my bike based on this mod. Reason I'm thinking about adjustable is so that I can guarantee climbing ability. For info I've currently got some Fox Vanilla R (100mm).
    I really doubt you'll have any issues with warranty with that fork. It's not like the fork is going to break the bike, so no worries there.
    I have a Reba U-Turn on mine, and while it only goes up to 115mm, I really do notice the different feeling on the longer descents. I almost always have mine set at 100mm, though I have occasionally lowered it on a couple of steeper climbs. Plus, when I ride in Santa Barbara, I'll usually kick it up to the max travel for the extended downhills. It really does make the bike just that little bit faster. I think it's a mix of the slightly more travel, and the slightly slackened head tube angle.
    Granted, 15mm isn't a whole lot, a tiny bit more than half an inch, but still, it's the little differences. I think having 130mm for the longer downhillls would be fantastic, like getting whipped cream on top of a milkshake, or that $2 shot with your beer at the LAX Gordon Birsch (used to be $1, sigh...). Just that little bit extra on top that Americans love.
    I say do it!

BN

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Finally got a chance to grab a pic of my bike; it's been in a state of constant dirtiness due to semi-weekly use on a wet trail.

Except for the front disk/rear rim brake, the bike build is pretty common with XT/X.9-level componentry. The fork is currently set-up for 110mm of travel, although it may go back to 100mm soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Shock setup

what pump can I buy to setup my front and rear shock on a trance 3? what do you use?
    thanks!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by tanbin
    what pump can I buy to setup my front and rear shock on a trance 3? what do you use?
    thanks!
    I'd say the one you got with the bike Seriously I got a pump with my T3 and then when I bought my REBA I got a pump with that also. I hope you guys got treated as good as I did and got all that was due you.
    You should be able to either get it from you local shop or get them to order one or order one online. They're special shock pumps that go up to 300 PSI and it should look somewhat like this.............

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

pump

The shop where I bought my bike said that with the bike I was NOT entitled to a pump. That they never give pumps to anyone. they also do not sell shopck pumps here. I'll have to buy it online. I was also a bit surprised at my "T3" (T4???) setup. the frame said T3, the color was T3, but all the components including the front shock where from the T4 setup according to the giant US site. Is this normal?????
    regarding the pump, can I use that pump for my front and rear shock?

MTB B'dos
    The shop where I bought my bike said that with the bike I was NOT entitled to a pump. That they never give pumps to anyone. they also do not sell shopck pumps here. I'll have to buy it online.
    Well I can't say that it's something that guarenteed to come with the bike, I just know I got one with mine. Could be I got a good bike shop, or because I spent so much on other stuff with them or that they knew that it would be something hard to find down here in the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanbin
    I was also a bit surprised at my "T3" (T4???) setup. the frame said T3, the color was T3, but all the components including the front shock where from the T4 setup according to the giant US site. Is this normal?????
    No this would not be normal, although I could not say for sure but I would consider that the bikes they would be getting are the US specd ones. Did you pay the T3 or T4 price? Which components exactly are not what's listed on the GIANT site for the T3 or is it all except for the frame? You can contact the Panama GIANT distributor at the below address...........

Distribuidora Rali, S.A.
    VIA TOCUMEN, APARTADO
    87-0852 ZONA 7 PANAMA
    Panama
    Telephone: 507-220-3844
    Fax: 507-220-5303
    disrali@sinfo.net

regarding the pump, can I use that pump for my front and rear shock?
    Yes you use the same pump for both shocks and forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey, thanks for all the quick replies and all the info!!!
    Well, let me explain. I bought mi bike directly from the distributor you posted (Distribuidora Rali S.A.).
    this is my bike setup: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11145 It is the US version of the T4. the only difference is that the frame is silver and says T3.
    I paid $ 1,445 US dollars (which I assume is the cost of the T4 ($1,200) plus what they charge over here)
    tomorrow I'll take some pictures and post them...........

MTB B'dos
    Hey, thanks for all the quick replies and all the info!!!
    Well, let me explain. I bought mi bike directly from the distributor you posted (Distribuidora Rali S.A.).
    this is my bike setup: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11145 It is the US version of the T4. the only difference is that the frame is silver and says T3.
    I paid $ 1,445 US dollars (which I assume is the cost of the T4 ($1,200) plus what they charge over here)
    tomorrow I'll take some pictures and post them...........
    OK, that info clears things up a bit more. When I asked about what price did you pay, I meant did you ask the price of the T4, T3, T2 and T1 so you knew the different pricing? Price seems a bit steep over MSRP, but you prob suffer the same sort of crap as me - local dealer had quoted me $6,000 Bds/$3,000 US for the Fuel EX7 when I was loooking at that bike and I was offered it for $1500 US in the states. Duties on bicycle's here are a ludicrous 46% ( you pay that on cost+shipping) and then add on how much ever mark up.
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-08-2005 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

my 3.5 trance!

the only trance they are selling here is the T3... / T4????.
    When I asked about the other trances, they said that if I wanted them they where special order and I would end up paying about $ 1,300 US dollars more than the US MSRP per bike!!!!!!!!!
    so i went with the T3/4 which was not allot more than the MSRP.
    everything is stock except for the pedals and mechanical disk brakes
    Here are the pics, would you call it a T3 or a T4?????!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Photo of me on the bike a week ago, in the Pentland hills near Edinburgh.

Also just upgraded my shifters to SRAM Rockets, should get out at the weekend for a ride.

MTB B'dos
    the only trance they are selling here is the T3... / T4????.
    When I asked about the other trances, they said that if I wanted them they where special order and I would end up paying about $ 1,300 US dollars more than the US MSRP per bike!!!!!!!!!
    so i went with the T3/4 which was not allot more than the MSRP.
    everything is stock except for the pedals and mechanical disk brakes
    Here are the pics, would you call it a T3 or a T4?????!!!!!
    Ok, so all components on the bike are the T4 specs, just the frame is a T3 silver frame. If this is correct then you have a T4 bike - as the frame is the same throughout the Trance lineup only colours are different and the shock on the T1 and frameset. Hopefully you like the silver more than thee grayish blue of the T4 frame. Still a very nice looking bike (guess I kinda like the silver ) If you got the pedals with it you got lucky, they're nice compared to the Shimano 505 lead pedals the T3/T4 normally comes with.

Ride it knowing that you've got an excellent frameset that is well worth upgrading when you break or wear out the current components and money being the only thing keeping you from upgrading it to a T1 or higher. I wish someone would get back to me abouyt the frame warranty and painting.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    I got one more nice pic taken this week-end...

We had a little bridge to cross that was about 12in wide and fell some 3-4 feet down the ditch... so i decided to go across with no hands:

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    but he has diskbrakes as well. The trance 4 comes with vbrakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Personally I tihnk the bike shop did some parts swapping off of a T3 Frame, maybe used the higher grade parts elsewhere and gave you a coresponding cut on the price. Lets call it a trance 3.5 and leave it there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    the pedals and brakes i upgraded myself. the bike came with v-brakes and other pedals. I actually think its a T3 frame with all the T4 specs...
    only problem: it's about 34 lbs.

MTB B'dos
    the pedals and brakes i upgraded myself. the bike came with v-brakes and other pedals. I actually think its a T3 frame with all the T4 specs...
    only problem: it's about 34 lbs.
    Don't sweat it Tanbin, just look at it this way......... You are training for when you get some cash and can do some upgrades (when stuff wears out or u win a jackpot ) and can lighten the bike with said upgrades. Riding the 34lb beast will build you up and when you get it lightened, heaven help all your riding companions, 'cause you're gona smoke 'em

Actually my T3 isn't much lighter - think it's around 31-32lbs - but seriously, I don't feel the bikes heavy till I have to lift it or go lifting it along with other peoples lighter bikes. Even then I don't mind 'cause I smoke on it now, so as I said when I get my upgrades heaven help anyone I really don't mind the weight except when I have to Hike A Bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yea double word, 34lbs isn't that bad. My T1 frameset is pretty tricked out and it still weighs about 28.5lbs. And that is about as light as you can make it while having it still be durable. I rode a 37lb kona coiler around for about 8 months and that mofo didn't climb worth a ****, the trance on the other hand is a nimble machine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just bought a Trance 2 today! I am supposed to be getting it on Thursday before I go on a biking trip in E. Texas for the weekend! I am so pumped, I cannot wait until it gets here!

WOOHOO!

I will post some pics when I get it, although it is pretty much like all the other Black T2's on here already

Thanks to you guys for all the great information you have posted here. It really made my decision that much easier!

Happy trails!

bi-winning

Test rode a Trance 4 today.

Today when i stopped by my local Giant dealer to drop off my busted Rainier, I decided to test a Trance 4. I was a little surprised i had to give up my drivers licence and adress... but i suppose it makes sence. Some people like to do stupid stuff.

The fame was too small, like a 16 er 18. I would need about a 20. Anyways, i was still able to get a feel for the suspension and stuff. It was around $1500 canadian, which is a very fair price i think. It seemed to shift smooth, and the v-brakes stopped well. The fork was not even that bad either. Plusher than my 80 mm '02 EXR air, it was not the best, but don't have a lot to compare it too other than my dad's black comp.

Now for the maestro. Again, not much to compare it to other than cheap crap fs and my dad's sugar. The sugar has considerably less sag, and therefore to me feels like it has more travel than the trance, even though they are both 4". The trance did seem quite smooth. It did not react much to load on the chain, but when standing naturally there was suspension movement. I am used to just standing and hammaring sometimes on my HT, and have grown rather accustomed to the solid feeling, as opposed to the squish.

Is it the bike for me? I don't think so. It would be perfect for the trails, but i ride 8km of road on the way to my usual ride, which is not even that rough in most spots. I have grown to love my ht, and i think maybe the NRS would be better for me with its no sag settup. When i ride rougher trails, i crave fs, but i just did not quite fall in love with the trance.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

strange noise

I only got my trance 2 since two weeks and there is a strange noise that comes, i think, from the bb area. It happens when i ride very slowly, when i put some pression on one pedals and at the same time lean the bike one way or another. The noise it makes sound like cheap pad brakes on cheap rims (very embarrassing). Does someone one has a solution? Thank You. (sorry for my poor english).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by marquis
    I only got my trance 2 since two weeks and there is a strange noise that comes, i think, from the bb area. It happens when i ride very slowly, when i put some pression on one pedals and at the same time lean the bike one way or another. The noise it makes sound like cheap pad brakes on cheap rims (very embarrassing). Does someone one has a solution? Thank You. (sorry for my poor english).
    About the noise, I believe that it comes from rubbing of the caliper againt the disc. When I first got my trance 2, the caliper was not aligned properly, which caused the metal edge of the caliper to rub against the disc. Leaning the bike one way or another might sometimes make the noise, but sometimes not. Once I fixed the problem by realigning the caliper, the noise went away for good.

Hope this helps!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by marquis
    Well you should be able to tell the difference between a BB noise and a brake noise - location wise so I wouldn't think it's the discs personally. Sounds like it could be your BB and it may need tightening or the cranks themselves might need tightening. If you got it from a local bike shop you should take it in and let them look at it for you as it is due for a service to re-adjust everything (cable strecth, etc) after a couple weeks of riding.

MTB B'dos
    Haven't gotten pics of me on the bike yet (just got my new camera today, will try for some later in the week) but decided to take some pics of the T3- Upgrades include......
    REBA SL Fork
    XT HollowTech2 Crankset
    Bontrager Race Light Stem (100mm/31.8) & H Bars

I think she looks sweet and will look sweter when I can afford my next upgrade - a new wheelset using HOPE Red hubs and nipples w/ Silver Rims (XC717 or DT Swiss) and black spokes.
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-30-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Johny Sokko!
    This is for Lynx!

Read the thread labeled FRANGO, he mentions a redesigned Trance for 2006. I read you were concerned about that. Oh! by the way I see you got XT cranks you been wanting.

The US trade show is Sep. 28th ~ 30th in Vegas, we will really know what's going by then. Maybe Frango might post something from Eurobike.

Stoner

bi-winning

Nice paint on this Trance 2

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Damn that is a nice paint job. Who's bike is it? Guess it isn't under warranty anymore 'cause of the new paint. I was wondering about doing a new paint job on my Trance but haven't heard back what happens to the lifetime warranty (since the original paint job isn't all that hot - rubs off and doesn't look that great w/ the decals)

Johny Sokko!
    If you read the guy from Autralia's thread, he mentions that the color/graphic schemes have changed for the 06' models. This might be the new look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    That looks sweet! I love the little Maestro sticker on the rear....

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    If you read the guy from Autralia's thread, he mentions that the color/graphic schemes have changed for the 06' models. This might be the new look.
    Didn't know that any of them were out and about yet. Still don't like the hug a$$ GIANT on the downtube though, but at least the crappy Trance logo is smaller

Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    That looks sweet! I love the little Maestro sticker on the rear....
    Wouldn't make a difference in my case, chainstay protector goes right over there :O

All in all I hope they have improve the quality/durability of the paint jobs on all their bikes, cause the paint on the '05s sucked big time.

bi-winning
    I found the picture on a German site, so it is likely an 06 model. Not positive though. It really does not look repainted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Lynx, or anybody else that has switched to the XT cranks, can you tell me if I will need a new BB? I currently have the RF X-Type BB with the RF Evovle XC X-Type cranks, and want to switch to my XT HT's that I have on my hardtail. The XT's I have are 180mm compared to the 175mm of the RF XC's. If I do need a new BB, what is the recommended size for this bike?

One other question, I also have XT shifters on my hardtail that I would like to switch over to replace the LX's on my Trance 2. It's just a cosmetic thing, really, but is this fairly easy to do? Can I just open up the shifer and remove the wire/cable and bolt the new shifter on, or will it require me to get new cables?

Thanks for the help!

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by SanPatricio
    Lynx, or anybody else that has switched to the XT cranks, can you tell me if I will need a new BB? I currently have the RF X-Type BB with the RF Evovle XC X-Type cranks, and want to switch to my XT HT's that I have on my hardtail. The XT's I have are 180mm compared to the 175mm of the RF XC's. If I do need a new BB, what is the recommended size for this bike?

Thanks for the help!
    I'll assume that the XT's you have on your HT are the older original Hollowtech kind that use Shimano's specific star type BB. Assuming this you would guess the answer=YES. Shimano came up with their own version of "ISIS" that only work w/ Shimano, if however they are the new Hollowtech 2 type that come with the external bearings the BB is already part of the crankset. As for the size your BB is 68mm wide and I did use a 68/113mm square taper BB in mine with no troubles. You may bang the XT cranks on the ground more than the RF since they're 5mm longer.

One other question, I also have XT shifters on my hardtail that I would like to switch over to replace the LX's on my Trance 2. It's just a cosmetic thing, really, but is this fairly easy to do? Can I just open up the shifer and remove the wire/cable and bolt the new shifter on, or will it require me to get new cables?
    Sorry can't really help you here, but I would assume they would use the same setup (easily figured if you open them both up) and yes your idea is right - I might stand corrected. Personally I wouldn't worry about switching them over if it's going to be any trouble since the LX's work fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I would reccomend switching the LX to the XT's myself, the shifting is noticably smoother and sharper between the models IMO.

-Your trance cables from the LX shifters swap into the XT shifters with no problem, and the length will be correct, so its a no problem swap.

What you will need to do is:
    -GET A REPAIR BOOK CAUSE I AINT TYPING ALL THE STEPS OUT AND REMOUNTING THE CABLE TO THE DERAILEURS AND GETTING THE ADJUSTMENT CAN BE TRICKY.

You only need have to get new cables if:
    -Your cables are freyed too much to thread them through your new shifter housings
    -The cables show much wear, corrosion, kinking or cable breakage
    -The cables may be too short

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Trance 3 in the movies?

I recently made a switch from an entry level hardtail to a Trance 3. I've been searching for a good deal and was considering the ff: '04 Cake 3DLX, Stumpjumper FSR, Prophet. I was fortunate enough to call a lbs yesterday. They had a Trance 3 in my size (medium frame) that was recently returned. It was supposedly used in a movie shoot. The shop gave me a good deal on it for $1150 CAD (US$970) which includes the 2 year warranty. Original sale price was $1850 CAD. It had a few scratches, but was structurally sound. I asked the gentleman at the shop if they knew which film it was used on, but he did not have a clue. He will ask Giant Canada though if they have any info. Who knows, i may decide to keep the scratched up paint as a momento to the move... thats if I ever find out which one it comes out in...

mtbr member

Vanilla 125R's

I want a Giant- excellent suspension platform, very nice components all for a very good price. I've been tossing up on which bike to buy: trance 2 or reign 2 since for 2006 they are the same price. But after very long and in depth thinking... I think I want the trance 2, it's simply lighter and more suited to my style or riding. Ideally I would like 5" Trance opposed to a 6" Reign... but I think I've found a happy medium:

I also own a Vanilla 125R which is currently on my HT (designed for 100m) set at 125mm. I've learnt to ride on the nose of my saddle amongst other things to make me a happy effiencient climber So I'm guessing you could to.

I plan to buy the Trance 2 '06 now, swap the 80/100mm (new 06 spec) Reba's onto the Hard Tail and put the Vanilla 125R's on the Trance (set at 125mm). I'm hoping that my dealer can do me a deal where I leave the Reba's behind and pay the difference for a set of RS Revelations (115/130mm travel)- coz the lock-out would be a great adjustment to have. But in all likely hood of that deal not going down, I'm not in a huge rush most of the time... so a lack of platform/travel adjustment/lock out isn't going to kill me... or you for that matter IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

broken nrs

I have been racing and training on an nrs for four years with some success.It is very efficient.However about once per year it will break some place on the seat tube.Giant has been good about replacing them.The problem is me,I'm an ex footballer and a fit 6-3 250 lbs.I may have the opportunity to change to a trance.I like the nrs and its design ,no sag, is a good compromise for year 2000 shock tech.However imho for any suspension to work you need sag.If you unweight an nrs at all the rear tire is airborn,can't be good.Has any other big, race oriented riders riden /raced the trance.Lately as my power/weight ratio improves so does my courage and I've been bouncing off the north ga. dirt often.Maybe a more complient rear suspension would be faster in the end,in my case?Anybody notice the more fit you get the braver you get?Anybody notice the braver you get the harder you crash?Should I try a trance? thanks ----chris

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris
    I have been racing and training on an nrs for four years with some success.It is very efficient.However about once per year it will break some place on the seat tube.Giant has been good about replacing them.The problem is me,I'm an ex footballer and a fit 6-3 250 lbs.I may have the opportunity to change to a trance.I like the nrs and its design ,no sag, is a good compromise for year 2000 shock tech.However imho for any suspension to work you need sag.If you unweight an nrs at all the rear tire is airborn,can't be good.Has any other big, race oriented riders riden /raced the trance.Lately as my power/weight ratio improves so does my courage and I've been bouncing off the north ga. dirt often.Maybe a more complient rear suspension would be faster in the end,in my case?Anybody notice the more fit you get the braver you get?Anybody notice the braver you get the harder you crash?Should I try a trance? thanks ----chris
    Chris, I'm no where near your weight so on that I can't comment however I can TRULY say I am so happy with my Trance. GIANT seems to have built them pretty on the sturdy side so they're more a XC/All Mountain bike. I think the over an NRS the Trance would be a much stronger bike and the suspension really does work as advertised.

One question I have though,... How much post do/did you have out on your NRS, was it about the limit? Did it break the same exact place on the seattube everytime?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

seat tube breakage

First time it broke top side of shock mount.Second time it broke on the front side of the seat tube/top tube intersection.Both times the post was in about 2 inches below seat/top tube centerline-chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    [QUOTE=big chris]I have been racing and training on an nrs for four years with some success.It is very efficient....I'm an ex footballer and a fit 6-3 250 lbs.[QUOTE]
    Dude your a monster, kidding of course, but seriously do you have bannana hands? Serious this time... i am surprized your NRS's held up as long as they did. That fact alone must speak well about your riding style. But I had ridden a NRS several times and can vouch that the trance is much more solid of a build but your not going to have that uber-racey feeling that the NRS has.

Bottom line, a trance is not going to make you faster (IMO), but it will be more comfortable, handle better in the rough spots and probably won't break on you like the NRS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

banana hands

[QUOTE=GiantDS3][QUOTE=big chris]I have been racing and training on an nrs for four years with some success.It is very efficient....I'm an ex footballer and a fit 6-3 250 lbs.
    Dude your a monster, kidding of course, but seriously do you have bannana hands? Serious this time... i am surprized your NRS's held up as long as they did. That fact alone must speak well about your riding style. But I had ridden a NRS several times and can vouch that the trance is much more solid of a build but your not going to have that uber-racey feeling that the NRS has.

Bottom line, a trance is not going to make you faster (IMO), but it will be more comfortable, handle better in the rough spots and probably won't break on you like the NRS.
    Thanks for the reply I will post some pictures when it is together,my freinds call them "hot dog fingers"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So i also will write a few things about my bike:

I have a trance 2, it is a wonderfull bike....

But i have a question about the seatpost.... it would be nice if anybody ready that thread and could give me some answers... Seatpost Giant Trance2

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Vanilla travel change option

Quote Originally Posted by the x.c.
    I want a Giant- excellent suspension platform, very nice components all for a very good price. I've been tossing up on which bike to buy: trance 2 or reign 2 since for 2006 they are the same price. But after very long and in depth thinking... I think I want the trance 2, it's simply lighter and more suited to my style or riding. Ideally I would like 5" Trance opposed to a 6" Reign... but I think I've found a happy medium:

I also own a Vanilla 125R which is currently on my HT (designed for 100m) set at 125mm. I've learnt to ride on the nose of my saddle amongst other things to make me a happy effiencient climber So I'm guessing you could to.

I plan to buy the Trance 2 '06 now, swap the 80/100mm (new 06 spec) Reba's onto the Hard Tail and put the Vanilla 125R's on the Trance (set at 125mm). I'm hoping that my dealer can do me a deal where I leave the Reba's behind and pay the difference for a set of RS Revelations (115/130mm travel)- coz the lock-out would be a great adjustment to have. But in all likely hood of that deal not going down, I'm not in a huge rush most of the time... so a lack of platform/travel adjustment/lock out isn't going to kill me... or you for that matter IMO.
    If you are not happy with the handling /climbing of the Trance with the Vanilla set at 125mm travel then you could adjust the travel anywhere between 100mm and 125mm by using custom or Rockshox SID spacers. Search the All about shocks forum and have a look at www.enduroforkseals.com, check out the Fox Vanilla link.
    I've set my Vanilla 2005 RLC at 120mm using one custom spacer, one modified Rockshox Sid one and one stock Rockshox Sid one. I'm not riding a Giant though!!
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I want to ride where you are riding.Just a guess but I bet thats N.C. or W.V.Youre prob. goin to say Az.Looks like a rain forest--cool

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris
    I want to ride where you are riding.Just a guess but I bet thats N.C. or W.V.Youre prob. goin to say Az.Looks like a rain forest--cool
    That is in Austria

But here it is realy nice to ride!!!

mtbr member
    LyNx, thanks for collecting all the different threads about the Trance.
    There are some nice pictures here, i will take some shots of my Trance at the weekend and come back here with them.

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast