Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162
Results 3,051 to 3,098 of 3098
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm from the Philippines. Parts here are a bit cheaper compared to US.
    I used
    Stans Flow mk3 132USD
    BITEX boost hubs 160USD
    Pillar spoke 45USD
    Pillar brass nipple 14USD
    DHRII 80USD
    tubless kit 40USD

471USD total

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jadeTrance View Post
    I'm from the Philippines. Parts here are a bit cheaper compared to US.
    I used
    Stans Flow mk3 132USD
    BITEX boost hubs 160USD
    Pillar spoke 45USD
    Pillar brass nipple 14USD
    DHRII 80USD
    tubless kit 40USD

471USD total
    Well thanks for the info, nice wheels. Enjoy them.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    If anyone in this thread is a clyde and has a trance 2 27.5, would you mind taking a look at this thread please? Any Clydes on Giant 2017 Trance 2?

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Ordered a 2017 Trance 2 in XL. Just got shipped out to my LBS today! Planning to upgrade wheels to some I9s laced to something nice. Haven't figured that out yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigC View Post
    Ordered a 2017 Trance 2 in XL. Just got shipped out to my LBS today! Planning to upgrade wheels to some I9s laced to something nice. Haven't figured that out yet.
    Big C! How BIG are you? See post above yours ha!

May contain nuts
    Just ordered a large T2 for my 179cm 14yr old lad. He's right at the bottom of the chart for large but should fit with a 35/40mm stem. (Why do they come with a 70mm anyway, when they have long front-centre geo?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I run a 45 x10 on mine. Probably comes stock with whatever the cheapest.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Just ordered a large T2 for my 179cm 14yr old lad. He's right at the bottom of the chart for large but should fit with a 35/40mm stem. (Why do they come with a 70mm anyway, when they have long front-centre geo?)

oho... Dad of the year 2017?

Depending on his body proportions the (highly discounted) 2016 model could be a better fit, I own the 2016 in Large with 50mm stem at about same height but long legs, I testrode the 2017 Trance in M and L and would rather take the M if forced to decide between these two, in reality neither size felt ideal

mtbr member
    May 2009

2017 Aluminum Trance Tire Clearance

Here is my 2017 custom Trance. Aluminum frameset (UK version).
    Rear Shock - Rockshox Super Deluxe
    Drivetrain - Shimano XT 1x11
    Bash / Guide - MRP SXg
    70mm Raceface Stem, 720mm Raceface bars (it's what I had...haven't experimented shorter stems yet)
    Seatpost - Giant dropper (100mm drop)
    Fork - Rockshox Pike (boost) 160mm
    Brakes - Avid BB7 (I still prefer these)
    Wheels - Ibis 738 Boost, 35mm inner diameter
    Tires - Maxxis Rekon 2.8 (they measure about 2.63 here)?

The tires seem to have about 4mm clearance from the fork arch.
    About 3mm clearance from the chainstay, maybe 4mm at the seatstay.
    I could not find my gap gauge, so this is rough measurement...stuck some stuff in that seemed to fit, then measured it with a caliper.

Is this generally safe for most people? I don't ride this in super muddy conditions; screws up the clay trails in the midwest. But I'm wondering if I should get the Rekon 2.6 once they come out (assuming they'll measure around 2.45...) and maybe sell these with 100 miles on them.

Also, the fork seems to suck down to just over 150mm...i've tried pulling it apart a few times. I can pull it up to 160 with a slight hiss, but it'll never go there on it's own. I also can't get the last 10-15mm of travel no matter how much hell i put it through at 30% sag. Same with the rear, 30% sag gets me about 85% travel. Could be partially from bigger tires at 18psi? It still rides real nice, but I was wondering if this is normal. I have no spacers in the air chambers.

**EDIT**
    Forgot weight. My not-so-accurate fish scale says 31 with pedals and frame pump. Sheesh, is that right? It's capable tho!

TRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-trance.jpgTRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-waterfall.jpgTRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-river.jpgTRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-pike.jpgTRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-seatstay.jpgTRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-chainstay.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
    Here is my 2017 custom Trance. Aluminum frameset (UK version).
    Rear Shock - Rockshox Super Deluxe
    Drivetrain - Shimano XT 1x11
    Bash / Guide - MRP SXg
    70mm Raceface Stem, 720mm Raceface bars (it's what I had...haven't experimented shorter stems yet)
    Seatpost - Giant dropper (100mm drop)
    Fork - Rockshox Pike (boost) 160mm
    Brakes - Avid BB7 (I still prefer these)
    Wheels - Ibis 738 Boost, 35mm inner diameter
    Tires - Maxxis Rekon 2.8 (they measure about 2.63 here)?
    thumbs up for the mechanical BB7 brakes, super cool setup.

100mm dropper post? Dude you need 150mm!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    thumbs up for the mechanical BB7 brakes, super cool setup.

100mm dropper post? Dude you need 150mm!
    Thanks. I know I know. The shop I ordered the frameset from only had the 100mm in stock and I earned enough points with the frame to get it free. I haven't found myself dropping it all the way yet, but I'm just timid in realizing what this bike will actually handle...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
    Thanks. I know I know. The shop I ordered the frameset from only had the 100mm in stock and I earned enough points with the frame to get it free. I haven't found myself dropping it all the way yet, but I'm just timid in realizing what this bike will actually handle...
    what you didn't drop the (100mm) dropper all the way yet! Are you riding in a parking lot?

May contain nuts
    oho... Dad of the year 2017?

Depending on his body proportions the (highly discounted) 2016 model could be a better fit, I own the 2016 in Large with 50mm stem at about same height but long legs, I testrode the 2017 Trance in M and L and would rather take the M if forced to decide between these two, in reality neither size felt ideal
    Possibly - in his mother's eyes I'm more 'muppet of the year 2017' but I've been top of that podium a few years running so I'm not preparing any speeches.

Haven't actually picked it up yet - his birthday is a couple of months away and winter is upon us so I'm not in any hurry. I think he'd fit the medium better for sure, but he only has to grow another couple of cm and he prob wouldn't. Gotta stop putting manure in his shoes - he's already taller than me, and has bigger feet.

Did your demo L Trance have that 70mm stem on it? Makes a big difference in feel when the bike is already a bit of a stretch...

mtbr member
    Did your demo L Trance have that 70mm stem on it? Makes a big difference in feel when the bike is already a bit of a stretch...
    it came with a 60mm stem. But the Trance L 2017 is significantly taller and longer than the 2016 size L, it's actually closer to the 2016 XL while the 2017 M is like a slightly shorter 2016 Trance L with a super short seat tube.

here's a picture of the 2017 L I rode:
    (note: on this picture the seat post is 2cm lower than normal for maximal clearance as we were preparing for a downhill ride)

and the 2017 M:
    (correct seat post setting)

here's my 2016 Trance L:

Comparison 2016 L vs 2017 M
    (pretty close aren't they?)

I think on this very last picture you can see that the 2017 M is actually closer to the 2016 L apart from the short seat tube (I've very long legs for my size)

It's weird but from the new generation Trances neither size was a great fit and I didn't like the steepened headangle, I'm now having hopes for the new Reign.

May contain nuts
    Useful pics, cheers Calf. I see what you mean about being between sizes - your 2016 L looks well setup, but the 2017 M looks too small (like your ass would be hanging over the rear axle), and the 2017 L has a much bigger head tube which makes it look a bit out of proportion. I think with a short slammed stem it might fit you better than the 2017 M though... particularly with your standover? I'm like you on the Reign - M is a bit small and L is a bit long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So guys I've got a 2016 Advanced 1. It has the carbon 1 wheels or whatever they are called. Not the DT swiss ones, the formula hub ones.

Does anyone know or have a guide about how to take the freehub body out and re-grease it?

I looked but didn't find anything.

On my 26" hope hubs you literally just pull the freehub body off after you pull off the end caps. This one seems like u need to unscrew the axle first but I couldn't seem to be able to pull the end cap on the cassette side. Then again I only tried to pull it with my hand as I had nothing else. Maybe this is a LBS job...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Probably hex keys on either side to remove a cap then pull freehub off.

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005

Picked up my Trance Sunday. I am pumped for the summer season! Planning on upgrading the wheelset in a couple months, and adding a Wolf's Tooth granny gear, but other than that, she's set!

mtbr member
    the 2017 M looks too small (like your ass would be hanging over the rear axle), and the 2017 L has a much bigger head tube which makes it look a bit out of proportion.
    spot on. That pretty much describes how the M felt. It's weird but a short seattube + long seat post feels different than a longer seattube + shorter seat post even though from a geometric standpoint it should be exactly the same

I certainly wouldn't get the L either as the long Headtube makes the bikes "feel" like an XL frame (I know I'm having a lot of Spacers on my 2016 L but it's different!)

For me the 2017 Trance was a huge disappointment, so no new Trance for me in the coming 3 years (= frame life cycle of current redesign) but maybe a newly designed Reign in 2018...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice ride BigC... I picked up mine yesterday and took it for a spin. Blends in with the scenery. Technology has changed since I bought my last bike 16 years ago! Excited to get back into it.

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Awesome! I probably won't get mine out until next weekend. Like you, my previous bike is older. 2005 Gary Fisher Cake DLX. All mountain then, more xc now. Solid bike other than the rear shock, but the Trance is more efficient heading up and even more stable going down. Great bike and loking forward to shredding it in the future and having the bike park boys scoff at this one... until it blasts by them like my fisher did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Replacement derailleur hanger?

Here is my Trance Advanced 1.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement derailleur hanger? Nothing is wrong, I just want to be prepared on remote rides.

Thanks
    TRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-20170407_173419-min.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWest View Post

Anyone know where I can get a replacement derailleur hanger? Nothing is wrong, I just want to be prepared on remote rides.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170407_173419-min.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	1132123
    Lbs

mtbr member
    haha people are always amazed that you can actually buy the spare derailleur hanger at the same shop where you bought the freaking bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They'll order you the hanger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWest View Post

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170407_173419-min.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	1132123
    A spare one should have been provided with the bike. Your LBS must have kept it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi, I´m having a bit of trouble with the Fox Float Factory DPS on my 17 Trance Advanced 1. Thing is it bottoms out a bit too easily. Currently running 25% sag, rebound 5 clicks from closed and Open mode adjust on 1. Shock is run open all the time.

Was riding an aluminum Trance with the Performance version of this shock and was having the same problem.

No chance to install spacers since it already comes with the largest one installed.

Any ideas?

Also, dropper has developed a slight play (both side to side and vertical) in just like 5 rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Since it's the 2017 you'd be better off sending everything in for warranty. Should have 1 year on components and lifetime on frame.

The shock sounds like it could use a rebuild but it's brand spanking new. It could just have bad seals or no oil.

The dropper needs to go back to your shop. They may make you pay for a service though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Alright everybody, I have been trolling this thread for a long time and finally I have joined the club! Weighing in at 27lbs on the . with pedals. The 2017 Trance Advanced 1 LG and yes it came with the extra hanger.

Tomorrow will be the first ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The Turner looks great. I dig the blue colour.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It is a great bike. I rode it for 2.5 years and love it. I will be keeping it as my backup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Finally got mine like a week ago. Really impressed with it so far. Only changes so far are 40 mm stem and 780 mm bars.

Problem with the rear bottoming out too easily got solved by moving the Open mode adjust to the second position. 27.0 pounds with Shimano XT Trail pedals and tubeless. Could still loose around half a pound by changing the cockpit to some Renthal goods.

TRANCE - The Official thread, pics and info inside.-img_9095-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    First ride was awesome, thing felt so good. Stock bars do actually seem a bit narrow. Stock grips suck, I like soft grip and thin gloves. We will see where this goes. Oh and hit hit a bunch of pr's

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You should upgrade the cockpit to a shorter stem and wider bar, it really makes all the difference. What settings are you running on your suspension? If you´re having the rear bottom out too easily just move the Open mode adjust to the second position.

I think it´s a shame how the bike doesn´t get good reviews because of that stupid cockpit and some other bad choices on the spec on behalf of Giant. Frame is really great, only the SA could probably be a bit steeper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell318 View Post
    You should upgrade the cockpit to a shorter stem and wider bar, it really makes all the difference. What settings are you running on your suspension? If you´re having the rear bottom out too easily just move the Open mode adjust to the second position.

I think it´s a shame how the bike doesn´t get good reviews because of that stupid cockpit and some other bad choices on the spec on behalf of Giant. Frame is really great, only the SA could probably be a bit steeper.
    actually if the shock is bottoming too easily and feels good otherwise, you should be changing the air spring volume instead of adding LSC, since LSC doesn't really affect high speed impacts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    actually if the shock is bottoming too easily and feels good otherwise, you should be changing the air spring volume instead of adding LSC, since LSC doesn't really affect high speed impacts.
    I know but since the Fox shock on the Trance already comes with the largest available spacer installed, open mode adjust is the only way to go. Apart from adjusting sag obviously but mine was already set at 25%.

Fox site says Open mode adjust does affect g-out performance.

"Open Mode Adjust: Open mode adjust is useful to control shock performance during rider weight shifts, G-outs, and slow inputs."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell318 View Post
    I know but since the Fox shock on the Trance already comes with the largest available spacer installed, open mode adjust is the only way to go. Apart from adjusting sag obviously but mine was already set at 25%.

Fox site says Open mode adjust does affect g-out performance.

"Open Mode Adjust: Open mode adjust is useful to control shock performance during rider weight shifts, G-outs, and slow inputs."
    oh yes, I didn't realize you were bottoming on g-outs.
    I'm on a 2015 Trance which is very progressive, even with McLeod/King Can I still seldom use full travel...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Great pics of new Adv 1, I'm leaning that way as well.

These posts say 27lbs w/ pedals, a review I said the Adv 1 came in a 29lbs.
    If it's 27, that is great for the cost, 29, not so much.

Scales good, Schnell318 and Nor32?

Thx!
    Holiday

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Curious as to what stem length / bar width people are rocking on their 2017 trance? Just ordered mine (1.5 ltd) and should have it in about 2 weeks. Already ordered a 780mm raceface aeffect R 35 but not sure if ill go 50 or 40mm stem. 6'1 on a size large.

I agree with the poster above.. too bad reviewers couldnt just tweak their cockpits to current standards for bike reviews. Strange choice by Giant for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    Great pics of new Adv 1, I'm leaning that way as well.

These posts say 27lbs w/ pedals, a review I said the Adv 1 came in a 29lbs.
    If it's 27, that is great for the cost, 29, not so much.

Scales good, Schnell318 and Nor32?

Thx!
    Holiday
    Already measured on two different scales, bike is setup tubeless and cockpit is a bit heavier than the stock shity one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudawg82 View Post
    I agree with the poster above.. too bad reviewers couldnt just tweak their cockpits to current standards for bike reviews. Strange choice by Giant for sure.
    Well that's because the product manager of Giant responsible for component spec is either incompetent or plain evil. Or they gave the job to someone who was wiping the floors before at Giant HQ.

Certainly not someone who has a clue about tires as they put a Maxxis High Roller in 3C compound on my rear wheel (probably the worst choice from all Maxxis tires apart Shorty)

They're putting "Schwalbe Performance" tires on the Reign 2017 and use Schwalbe tires with Pace Star compound as front tires on the 2017 E+ ebike series.

Many more stupid component choices all over the bikes but the tires do make contact with the ground thus poor choices her lead to a bad overall riding experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Giant must have had a bunch of overdrive 2 stems lying around since those are the ones that come fitted to the bikes. They come with an inner shim to make them fit the 1 1/8" forks.

Seat posts with offset on the models that don´t come with dropper post is also stupid.

I would be pissed if I was one of the engineers that put so much effort in designing the frame, kinematics, etc. only to have it ****ed up by the product managers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Any upgrades that you guys would suggest on a 2016 Trance SX? The only thing I've done to it after riding it last season was cut the bars down to 750 from 800. May have been a little too much to cut off but oh well - gives me an excuse to get some new bars, thinking about getting some carbon enve's.

It's my first "new" bike after riding on a 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight that I had got used for two years. Definitely way too much bike for my skill level but no complaints, just kind of curious as to whether or not I should start looking at upgrades after reading some of the stuff on here about cockpit issues. Seems like most people are going with shorter stems than the 70MM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    Any upgrades that you guys would suggest on a 2016 Trance SX?
    I cut down the stock bars to 777 and swapped the 60mm stock stem for a 50mm. Downsized the chainring for a 30T and upgraded the brakes to Guide RSC right when I got it.

The only upgrade left I'm thinking about for a long time and probably the bikes' weakest spot are the wheels, the P-AM2 are bombproof but very heavy and @24mm not very wide either (but sufficiently wide for the 2.3 stock tires)

After careful deliberation and some testriding I wanna switch over to 2.6" tires on wider rims:

I would mix a 35mm DT XM521 rim front with a 30mm DT EX511 rim rear. Either laced to DT 350 hubs or just buy the respective front/rear wheels seperately taken from the complete DT wheelsets called "XM1501 35mm" / "EX1501 30mm"

Why two different rim widths?
    The front tire is run with lower pressure than the rear tire and thus needs a wider rim to support its sidewalls when cornering hard, the rear wheel has to carry most of the rider weight especially when jumping hard and needs to offer more stability.

I'm still undecided if investing roughly 1000$ in a "non boost" wheelset (wheels + tires + discs + Sram XG1180 cassette) for a 2 year old bike is a wise thing to do...

I could equally sell the Trance SX for 1600$ + take the 1000$ I was willing to spent for the wheels and buy a new bike like the YT Jeffsy for 2600$. But then again that comes stock with an even narrower 22mm wide wheelset...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I cut down the stock bars to 777 and swapped the 60mm stock stem for a 50mm. Downsized the chainring for a 30T and upgraded the brakes to Guide RSC right when I got it.

The only upgrade left I'm thinking about for a long time and probably the bikes' weakest spot are the wheels, the P-AM2 are bombproof but very heavy and @24mm not very wide either (but sufficiently wide for the 2.3 stock tires)

After careful deliberation and some testriding I wanna switch over to 2.6" tires on wider rims:

I would mix a 35mm DT XM521 rim front with a 30mm DT EX511 rim rear. Either laced to DT 350 hubs or just buy the respective front/rear wheels seperately taken from the complete DT wheelsets called "XM1501 35mm" / "EX1501 30mm"

Why two different rim widths?
    The front tire is run with lower pressure than the rear tire and thus needs a wider rim to support its sidewalls when cornering hard, the rear wheel has to carry most of the rider weight especially when jumping hard and needs to offer more stability.

I'm still undecided if investing roughly 1000$ in a "non boost" wheelset (wheels + tires + discs + Sram XG1180 cassette) for a 2 year old bike is a wise thing to do...

I could equally sell the Trance SX for 1600$ + take the 1000$ I was willing to spent for the wheels and buy a new bike like the YT Jeffsy for 2600$. But then again that comes stock with an even narrower 22mm wide wheelset...
    The Jeffsy is a cool bike. I was originally looking at YT. Hard to beat them price-wise.. the Jeffsy had just came out but was delayed and I was too impatient to wait. I didn't really know what I was looking for, just that I was hooked and really wanted to get something new while I could afford it. A friend that worked at a Giant retailer pretty much sold me on the Trance SX and was able to get me a good deal.

A buddy that I have been riding with this season is trying to convince me to get carbon handlebars, says that my hands will get less fatigued and that I will have less vibration but I don't see those as being problems. He suggested some "Thomson Trail Carbon Riser Bar" that is marked down to $110 from $165 but the more that I think about it, the more I don't know if it's really a necessary upgrade.

If I stay with the stock bar that I cut down to 750, I was thinking going 90 mm with the stem instead of 70 but it looks like everybody here is going shorter (albeit running longer bars).

The more I think about it, the more I just need to get out and ride. Lol

May contain nuts
    To me sweep and rise are more important than width. 9deg back, 4deg up works best for me, I find Thomson bars are too straight

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    To me sweep and rise are more important than width. 9deg back, 4deg up works best for me, I find Thomson bars are too straight

The same buddy that recommended the Thompson sent me the link to another handlebar before I had read this, and it's got almost those specs that you prefer. 9 degree backsweep, 5 degree upsweep

Ibis Carbon handlebar ? Ibis Cycles Online Store

Pretty close to pulling the trigger and trying them out.

One thing I started thinking about as I was washing the bike today... the saddle. The giant contact that my SX came with.. am I the only one who finds it a bit uncomfortable, even with chamois?

mtbr member
    I actually swapped the Original Giant handlebar for a Spank Barclaw after I got the bike but quickly changed back as I needed the additional rise of the Giant bar.

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162