Giant Anthem

trance headset bearings any ideas?

Me again-another fricken bearing problem on my 06 trance. As well as the destroyed suspension bearings and bottom bracket my headset is pretty rough as well. I don't even know how to take them out. Can I replace just the bearings or do I need a whole new headset? It's an fsa 45 degree. Not even sure what kind of headset it is-much differnt than my old hardtail-can anyone give me the lowdown on how these work? Thanks

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    Giant uses a Zero Stack headset on the Trance. Cane Creek and FSA make zero stack models.
    If you can't play, display.

Giant Anthem

press?

Quote Originally Posted by kabayan
    Giant uses a Zero Stack headset on the Trance. Cane Creek and FSA make zero stack models.
    Do I need a press to remove old ones?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bearing cups press into the frame. The cartridge bearings themselves are a slip fit into the cups. You should be able to take them out by hand. If the grease etc, has dried a little you might need to pry a little, with a screw driver.

The bearings can be replaced by themselves. I am not sure what the easiest place to get bearings is/are. Both FSA and Cane creek seem to use the same bearing supplier.

You can order replacement bearings online from Enduro bearings ~$15 each, and have some new ones. Their bearings and seals are usually a little nicer than stock offerings.

Giant Anthem

yeppers

Quote Originally Posted by the.vault
    Bearing cups press into the frame. The cartridge bearings themselves are a slip fit into the cups. You should be able to take them out by hand. If the grease etc, has dried a little you might need to pry a little, with a screw driver.

The bearings can be replaced by themselves. I am not sure what the easiest place to get bearings is/are. Both FSA and Cane creek seem to use the same bearing supplier.

You can order replacement bearings online from Enduro bearings ~$15 each, and have some new ones. Their bearings and seals are usually a little nicer than stock offerings.
    Thank you-thats exactly what I needed to know-I'm probably going to order headset,BB and rear susp. bearings from enduro. I'm going out right now to try a little harder to pop out the headset bearings.