Thread: Trance headset?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Trance headset?

I have a 2009 Trance X-1 that has a integrated Cane Creek headset. Looking to upgrade my fork to either a Fox 32 150mm or a Marzocchi 44. Seems that most forks being sold have the tapered steer. Is it possible to change the bottom headset cup to 1.5?

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    ...scratch that, Lynx is right, and his suggestion will work. One thing to keep in mind is the extra 12mm in stack height (moves the bottom part of the headset outside, underneath the frame) in addition to the extra 30mm of travel you're looking to add.
    Last edited by preludedriven; 09-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Is your current headset a ZS for 1.125" straight steerer? If yes, then all you need is a new lower External cup made for the 44 ID ZS headtubes. Cane Creek 40 Series EC44/40 Bottom Cup > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post
    I have a 2009 Trance X-1 that has a integrated Cane Creek headset. Looking to upgrade my fork to either a Fox 32 150mm or a Marzocchi 44. Seems that most forks being sold have the tapered steer. Is it possible to change the bottom headset cup to 1.5?
    DO NOT listen to this guy, he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, see my post above!
    Quote Originally Posted by preludedriven View Post
    Used to own the same year X2 model, and I don't think it's possible. The headtube is straight, built for a straight 1 1/8" headset, and as far as I know, there isn't any type of expander for a 1.5". Only the other way around (1.5" to 1 1/8" reducer).

I would keep searching for a fork w a straight steerer...they're still out there.
    Last edited by LyNx; 09-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys. I do like my front end low. I think the bike is perfect with 150mm of travel up front. I wouldnt want to raise the bb up anymore. It might take a bit before I find what I want in a standard 1 1/8. Thanks for answering my question.