mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Trance - Frame size

Hello all,

this is my first post here ... I'm writing from Italy
    I have a question regarding the size of the beautiful Trance frame!

My current FS bike is 17".... I'm tall 172cm

Which size could be better for me? Trance S 16" or M 18" ?

Thanks in advance for replying

Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AndreaVA; 06-22-2008 at 06:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    nobody?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I donít like answering these sizing questions because Iíll get them wrong, Iím XL in height but because of the low BB, long stem etc I prefer a large and can quite happily ride my dads medium. You see the mucked up sizing world Iím in.

Do your best to try any of the Trance and Trance X range but seeing as how your last bike was in the middle, in my experience itís better to be stretched out than squashed up, you can always move things around like shorter stems and moving the saddle forward, the Trance has quite a short top tube anyway.
    [/SIZE]

I AM I AM
    Alright, I'm 169cm and I went for the 16" back in '06.
    At the moment I'm riding hubby's Alias which is a 17" HT and it's probably a little on the big side (in top tube length), but just slightly. My bike now is a STP in the regular size, but it has an ETT of 560mm just like the old trance had.

It probably doesn't help you much though. Just consider that if the 18" is slightly stretched out you can always go for a shorter stem, but if you find the 16" too cramped it would be harder to make it fit (if you couldn't get used to it). So really depends if you like plenty of room in the cockpit or if you like it on the small side?

Don't worry so much about the frame sizing number (ie 17", 16", 19") but rather consider closely the effective top tube length. This will give you a good idea. For example if your current bike is a 17" with a ETT of 570mm and a 100mm stem, and you're looking at a 18" Trance that has a ETT of 580mm with a 100mm stem, well you could comfortably say that the fit should be fine and you may potentially want to swap for a 90mm stem. Alternately if you went for the 16" Trance with a 560mm top tube, well that's only 1cm shorter, if it was comfortable it probably wouldn't take too long to get used to it. (above figures are theoretical).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

M 18" no message

no message

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hello guys,

many thanks for posting here, I appreciate it, now my mind is more "clear"

I understand that we have to check every time the size of the frame...depending on the geometry, the biker body, etc.

My actual bike is 17", top tube 570 mm (from the center of the top of the headtube to the effective seattube extension), with stem 120 mm ...so, probably new frame 18" with about 100 mm stem should be fine for me.

I'm checking the features of Trance X2: European version is quite different to from the American one (fork, rear shock, rear derailleur, brakes, etc.) ...the first would be better... I believe.

ps (sorry for my horrible english )
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah thereís a lot of junk on the US X2, donít forget the hubs, DT 370 are very good hubs, still can believe what a pile of crap Giant have slipped on in the US.
    [/SIZE]