mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trance Brake Chirp

So I've been loving my Trance now that I've got the suspension set up correctly, but I have one little annoying problem.

This is going to be a little tough for me to explain.

Whenever I am putting a lot of stress on the drivetrain...like when I am climbing a hill or pedaling around a curve..and the bike is sitting low in its travel in the rear suspension, the rear brakes start chirping.

If I hit a rock or an obstacle that makes the rear suspension compress even more the chirp turns to a squeal. Now I've spent a good amount of time making sure everything was straight...the calipers...the disk...the wheel. And it all checks out so the only thing that I can think might be the problem is flex in the frame.

This is most noticeable on uphills, when I start pedaling from a stop, and when Im making a turn while moving over rough terrain.

The only other cause I can think of is that perhaps the stock brakepads are the culprit and not any weird flex. The thing is brand new and I'm bringing it in for its first tune up and wheel truing next week and I just want to know what I should have my mechanic check to see if I can rid myself of this annoyance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Brake Noise...again

Do a search on this as it has been posted before.

Noisy Hayes Strokers

I have done everything mentioned like: tighten wheel bearings,tighten skewer, different brand pads, different brand disc, automotive brake cleaner, scotch brite disc surface....etc.

Some have complained to the brake mfg. and gotten free upgrades.

Let us know if you find a fix.

Tilos

Quote Originally Posted by StarXed
    So I've been loving my Trance now that I've got the suspension set up correctly, but I have one little annoying problem.

This is going to be a little tough for me to explain.

Whenever I am putting a lot of stress on the drivetrain...like when I am climbing a hill or pedaling around a curve..and the bike is sitting low in its travel in the rear suspension, the rear brakes start chirping.

If I hit a rock or an obstacle that makes the rear suspension compress even more the chirp turns to a squeal. Now I've spent a good amount of time making sure everything was straight...the calipers...the disk...the wheel. And it all checks out so the only thing that I can think might be the problem is flex in the frame.

This is most noticeable on uphills, when I start pedaling from a stop, and when Im making a turn while moving over rough terrain.

The only other cause I can think of is that perhaps the stock brakepads are the culprit and not any weird flex. The thing is brand new and I'm bringing it in for its first tune up and wheel truing next week and I just want to know what I should have my mechanic check to see if I can rid myself of this annoyance.

Life is a 700c circle...
    What year and model Trance? My 09 X2 with Hayes Stroker brakes makes some rear brake noises on occassion. I dont know why or how to fix it other than turn up the i-pod.

Unit 91
    my 2008 TranceX0 does the same thing. My first ride, it sounded like my brakes were rubbing the whole time. Then at one point it sounded like a UFO. Really weird. I ended up setting up the brakes as best as I could. I set them up so they would rub when its not compressed, thinking when it does compress, it would go away. So far, its been working out for the most part.
    Bikes

Life is a 700c circle...
    I called Hayes, their customer service is good and they explained a few possible causes and cures. I went out and re-centered the rear caliper and my problem is solved, just a simple adjustment. Overall I've been pretty happy with my Hayes brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Are you saying that these calipers can adjust from side to side for centering the disc?

Unit 91
    Yes, they can adjust side to side, or at least most brakes you can.

I tried what you said Norris Hanna and still no luck. The brakes would not rub when I wasn't sitting on the bike and would just pick up the back wheel to spin it. But once I compressed the bike and began riding, it would start rubbing. At one point, I took a sharp turn on pavement and it sounded like my rotor was hitting against something. Very odd.
    Bikes

Life is a 700c circle...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet

I tried what you said Norris Hanna and still no luck. The brakes would not rub when I wasn't sitting on the bike and would just pick up the back wheel to spin it. But once I compressed the bike and began riding, it would start rubbing. At one point, I took a sharp turn on pavement and it sounded like my rotor was hitting against something. Very odd.
    Well in that case I would recommend calling Hayes customer service, (google it) and see what they can tell you. They seemed to me to be sincere in trying to solve my issue with their product, maybe they can help you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    moved

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Lateral Deflection

Loose wheel bearings...loose skewer

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet

I tried what you said Norris Hanna and still no luck. The brakes would not rub when I wasn't sitting on the bike and would just pick up the back wheel to spin it. But once I compressed the bike and began riding, it would start rubbing.
    At one point, I took a sharp turn on pavement and it sounded like my rotor was hitting against something
    . Very odd.