mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Trance or Anthem 29?

I have searched all the threads already but interested in anybody that has ridden both extensively.

I am looking at frame only on either. I have a 120mm Rev fork currently, which obviously lends itself to the Trance but I know that people run the Anthem at 120mm too. It will be set up 1x10.

I ride xc, trail - reasonably fast but I don't get much (any?) air. Drops I usually roll. My local riding is mix of singletrack, rocky in places (not boulder fields but outcrops on the trail) and lots of roots in the woods. I like covering ground fast.

Any thoughts? I 'think' the ha and shorter chainstay on the Trance should make it a better trail bike?

Your Best Friend
    The Anthem is an awesome trail bike as well and really shines when you want to go fast. For the trails you're describing, I'd stick with the Anthem.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anthem should be fine for what you are describing. As long as you keep the wheels relatively close to the ground it is a great bike. I started doing some drops & smaller jumps and broke my frame. J

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ha ha! Thanks guys - yes I should, no I shouldn't :-)

Anyone else ridden both on similar trails?

mtbr member
    As stated, so long as you plan to keep the wheels on (or close to) the ground, the Anthem should be your ticket. If you're not sure you can resist a little more air time, go with the Trance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I vote for Trance. You're gonna beg for a little air once you ride either bike. :-)

Stand over is much lower (and better if you ever get into tricky terrain) on same size frame on the Trance. Just bought a '14 Trance X1 29er and I LOVE THIS BIKE !

The Maestro suspension (5" on this model) is ridiculously good. Very little bobbing when climbing, even in descend mode. My LBS told me that the suspension is based on (ripped off of?) the super delicious DW-Link design. That explains why it is SO GOOD!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by dcelento View Post
    super delicious!
    Just lost all credibility

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Just lost all credibility
    Heh heh.... So, SilentFoe, what do you like better than the DW-Link / Maestro for rear suspension (or are you a hard-tail/hard-headed kinda rider)?

If you're looking for FS, the Maestro is arguably The Best Bang for the Buck. If you ratchet things up a few thousand bucks, then the game changes, but in the $2K-$3K price, it's seems pretty hard to beat Giant, methinks.

Very interested in other contenders, if they are out there!

Your Best Friend
    Is there an icon or font for a joke going over your head?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was in this decision process a few days ago myself. According to my LBS, he said that the Trance benefits will be seen most definitely as a gravity/downhill bike with the travel it has. He said for everything else...go with the Anthem X. I ride pretty much the same way you've described as well and that's the direction I went. Price-wise they're about the same give or take a couple hundred.

mtbr member
    I have both bikes and ride mostly in the southeast. I have over 2k miles on the Anthem and about 1k miles on the Trance. If I were limited to just owning one of them, it would be the Anthem. There are only 2 trails that the Trance has been better, and both were pretty gnarly and steep: Pisgah in North Carolina and Killington in Vermont. For all the other trails, the Trance is fun and is a nice change of pace, but the Anthem is faster, more efficient and is more than adequate at soaking up the bumps.
    Last edited by bikensand; 09-25-2013 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Are you gonna run a dropper post? Let that help you make your choice...
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

Your Best Friend

Re: Trance or Anthem 29?

And? I run a dropper on my Anthem. They even come with routing for them.

mtbr member
    i say that (about running a dropper post) because generally those who ride the anthem don't use a dropper post (because they don't come stock). If the OP was intending to use a dropper post it could be assumed that he would be riding in situations where a bike that may be better at handling more aggressive terrain would be more appropriate, hence maybe consider looking more closely at the Trance instead of the Anthem if a dropper post was in his future.

BTW, I've ridden both bikes and they are both superb rides; you really couldn't be going too far off by getting either one. I ended up with the Trance for what I like to ride and it suits me perfectly. I've even done a couple races with it and it performed perfectly... even against Anthems.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."