Hill eater

Trance Adv SL0 how strong / durable?

I have just upgraded from my 2008 Trance 0 to the steed above 2012 model. Loving the new ride, still getting it dialed and getting used to the extra travel etc.

I thrashed my old Trance through 7000km of hard xc racing and light all mountain riding including drops up to about 5 foot. I'm 74kg and know how to ride light, bar the odd surprise. Bike held up fine, wheels still true apart from one small ding.

I suppose time will tell, but I'm worried my new bike won't be as bomb proof. With the carbon frame, light parts and light weight wheels. I would assume being a longer travel Trance it would be set up for the rough stuff. Anyone out there giving theirs a flogging?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
    We don't stop playing because we grow old
    We grow old because we stop playing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A review quoted that Giant could have built the frame much lighter but were aiming at a stiff but strong build.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I've had my Trance X Advanced frame for over a year now. It's set up with an Angleset and 150mm fork. I ride pretty hard with more of a DH attitude and it's held up fine. I hover around 210 lbs. geared up...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well if you follow the niner fork thread, Carbon fiber will spontaneously fail just by riding along. It is a dangerous material not suitable for bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bike magazine (November 2011) trashed and abused carbon Trance X for more than a year and gave great reviews on durability ...
    Last edited by esblo; 04-19-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Come on, dare me!
    I've been riding my [Trance X Advanced SL] for more than two years now - going pretty hard on it and travelling two times to Utah for MTB trips. So far, the only problem I had was hairthin cracks on the seatstays, just behind the main pivot. The rear triangle has been replaced under warranty in a few days (thanks, Giant Canada). If you can/want, protect your frame with thick clear tape - the clearcoat on the frame makes scratches and rub marks more visible.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Shoulda gotten the Reign.

mtbr member
    The only limit to this bike is the travel and geometry. CF is stronger than aluminum. It is also repairable if damaged. You're going to trash the bearings in the suspension, but the Trance Advance is bullet proof otherwise. I use mine for everything from XC/endurance to super D racing. I ride it on all but the most demanding trails where (you guessed it) more travel and slack geometry is required. I'm 200 lbs with a BMX background. Say it with me: Lifetime Warranty!

Although I don't consider my riding style "extreme", I do like to jump, and I'll take a few little drops. I choose this bike over the Reign. Over the Ibis Mojo HD 140. Over Banshee, Transition, Intense, Turner, and many other freeride capable trail bikes. Talent > travel. You'll run out of the first one before you find the limit of this bike. Oh. Did i mention how well it climbs? At 26 lbs, with reasonable geo, I can keep up with the XC guys. If you're thinking you want to "long-shock it" and run a 150mm fork, you should be looking a Reign. If you want a bike you can do 5000ft descending days without a shuttle, welcome home. You (and many of us) found your perfect bike!

Cheers.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

Hill eater
    Thanks for the replies, looks like most people feel I will be fine riding the way I want to
    We don't stop playing because we grow old
    We grow old because we stop playing.