mtbr member

Trance: 4" or 5" fork

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed a while ago, but I just wanted a fresh point of view on the topic and some advice.

I've got a 2006 Trance 2 (aust.) and had always planned to put a new U-turn Revelation on the front end after selling the stock Reba Race.

General people/Trance owners that have gone from 4" to 5" forks

Have you noticed a considerable difference in terms of ride quality and has it made riding certain types of trail harder/easier?

- I understand all the facts regarding climbing/descending and the change in gemoetry etc.

It's just that for the past year I've been riding my HT with a 5" Fox Vanilla 125R- there's nothing wrong with that fork (besides signs of wear- bought second hand). I know that I could easily use those forks, but I'd like to have all the "bells and whistles" of a U-turn Revelation. I really like the whole Motion Control idea (i hate how my vanilla's bounce) and the fact that I would be able to tune geometry/travel to suit the trail I was riding.

I can expect anywhere between $500 and $650 for the Reba- leaving a $450ish gap to get the Revelation... I could also sell the Vanillas for around $430 - buy some Manitou Axel's for $150 to put on the HT (it'll be used as a commuter primarily)... Is this too much buying and selling? I'm just a little strapped for disposable 'mtb' income after buying the Trance.

MTB B'dos
    The tune-a-bility of the U-turn would be nice once you can get a good price for the REBA and weill use the U-turn feature and don't mind the extra weight. Personally I'd say extend the REBA to it's full travel of 115mm and enjoy the ride as I did. I have noticed that the ride is plusher now I've added the extra 15mm travel and also that I had to lower my stem to help wandering of the front on climbs (I found the front used to wonder a bit abefore I set it to 115mm, so just more exagerated), but DHs are now just that bit more fun/enjoyable w/ the extra travel.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    hey Lynx,

The 2006 Reba's are only 80mm or 100mm. The Revelations (without U-turn) can be set at 115mm to 130mm. I had planned to do that before I found that out which is a real bummer. I guess I could just use my Vanilla and sell off the Reba...

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by majura
    hey Lynx,

The 2006 Reba's are only 80mm or 100mm. The Revelations (without U-turn) can be set at 115mm to 130mm. I had planned to do that before I found that out which is a real bummer. I guess I could just use my Vanilla and sell off the Reba...
    Didn't realise it's a 2006 REBA you have. I think RS figured out that there were a lot of people going for the REBA @115mm instead of the PIKE for AgressiveXC/All Mountain type riding and that's why the cut the travel. The U -Turn would be very nice, especially on long / steep climbs - just crank it down all the way and ease up the need for body english to keep the front down..
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids