mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Trance 29er X1 Rear Shock Problem

Hi.. bit of a story but I need some advice or if anyone else has a similar problem.

I have a 2013 Giant Trance 29er X1 with the stock Fox Float CTD Boostvalve rear shock. The guys I ride with can all stand up and pedal in "C" mode, but I just bounce everywhere. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the C and T settings on the shock.

I'm 85kg loaded and I've tried different pressures from 170psi to 215psi without any change.

I've taken it to my lbs who said that it looks like the CTD switch is not working properly. So I took it back to where I bought the bike and the guys there said that "it's a common problem on my bike, and the one's they've sent back to fox are the same after two weeks" so don't bother. So here's my options:
    1. Try to send it back to Fox under warranty;
    2. Spoke to a suspension tuner here in Oz, how suggested seinding the shock off for a tune.. and they'll install a stronger propedal spring for the C" setting; or
    3. Harden up and just right it.

Thks..

DFMBA.org

Trance 29er X1 Rear Shock Problem

I would definately send it back to Fox. I had to send mine (off the same bike) for a seal issue and Fox put a bunch of new guts in it and the unit has been fine ever since. Fox needs to know about this and I think there's a decent chance they'll warranty it.

Don't settle for the apathetic response from the bike dealer. At least call Fox on your own if nothing else.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.