mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trance 29er Bash Guards?

I have a Trance 29er X 2. With almost 100 miles on it, I'm thinking a bash guard would come in really handy! Looking at it too late, I'm finding out that its pretty difficult to fit given the press fit BB and crankset. Short of buying a new crankset, I'm looking for options. Anyone else tackled this yet? Anyone on a TX29 running guards at all?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a Blackspire Defender 104BCD 2X 40T, on my TX29 X1 with XT crank. This probably doesn't help you though as you have a different crankset. Maybe have a look on their website to see if they have anything that would suit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks Rogue, I already peeked at a few sites. I have yet to find anything, and it doesn't look promising unless I want to buy a new crankset... I spoke with a guy at the Giant Cycle World in Boston and he said he will take a look and email me what he finds...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well SRAM doesn't make a bash guard the fits this crank, and the guys at the Giant shop didn't have any suggestions other than throwning a guard over the big ring and going single up front. Grrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well that sucks. I was thinking about one too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Trance 29er Bash Guards?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymx410 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	790996
    What size is the guard? Did you have to use a spacer/longer bolts? It looks like it clears the derailer better than I thought!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So, I picked up this (Hope Integrated Bash Ring):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=90452

They have several sizes (teeth) and colors (silver, gold, black). A little pricey (~$100), but the next cheapest option (might!) be to sell the 2x cranks and buy 3x cranks, drop the big ring, and plop on a random bash. I wanted to get slightly down from the 38T on my front, so I got the Hope 36.

The bash is -mandatory- for my riding. In about two weeks, I already destroyed at least five teeth on my big ring. I love to play on rocks, as well as crank along. Lack of easy bash options + lack of ISCG tabs is Definitely one of the "small signs" that the Trance is more on the trail-end of things than on the AM-end of things. But, with some tinkering it's a great ride for me!

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I beleive its the 38 it's the same as top ring size. I used stock bolts just removed the washer they prob could be longer but it grabs plent of threads to tighten good. Then just had to adjust derailer up a little and works mint. It's great at holding the chain on too and for 20 bucks you can't beat it

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm gonna order it up, thanks Jaymx410!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Issues: after installing the BBG, had to get rid of the spacers/washers to have enough grab on the threads. Unfortunately this doesn't allow the derailleur enough clearance to get over my larger ring, even after adjusting it up as far as I dare. So I can run the granny ring but that's all on the crankset. Will be trying longer bolts. I went by a shop today after a little ride, but they did not have bolts that would fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I also removed washers and that bearly gave it enough threads but I've ran it that way for months of hard riding with no issue yet. As far as clearance over big ring I loosened bolts holding derailer to frame and adjusted up so that it would just clear the gaurd when shifting to big ring. As long as you got same size gaurd as me it should work I can put some more pics up if that would help

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any luck getting the derailer adjust to use both rings with bashgaurd

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    feanor76....this fit with no problems? are you still running 2x10 or 1x10 now?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have given up trying to make this fit on my bike for now. May ask the LBS for suggestions sometime in the future, but for now am running the crank naked.

Dudette
    I had a Blackspire Defender put on mine with no clearance/shifting issues. Maybe check that one out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i was thinking about putting one on when i ordered my bike but after riding 2x10 for awhile, no big gear up front seems to eliminate the need for a bash guard, at least for my riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Really sorry for recommending bash gaurd that don't work for ya xyesterdayx at least it's cheap. Is your bike an x1?what can't you get to fit ?is it adjustment or bolts? I had mine adjusted first try it is close to bash gaurd when shifting to top ring but clears it and when in small ring chain is close to rubbing on derailer but once you sit on bike and it sags down its well clear of it. You are loosening bolts holding derailer to frame and sliding it up that way right? Well good luck if ya give it another try

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mine is X 2, but I think we both have same crank and derailleur. My bolts were no place near long enough to even start threading. I then picked up a set of longer bolts but had trouble getting them between the chain rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Eventually I got it bolted on, and I can only run the derailleur on the small ring. If I shift to larger ring, derailleur digs right into the bash. That is with the derailleur slid up as high as it will go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Blackspire is releasing a guard for Truvativ 2x cranks, should be out in 2 weeks! Will try that when it drops

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow crazy you can see i have it in big ring in my picture I wonder if the bash gaurds are different sizes or something. Well I'm sure if they come out with one specific for our drivetrain it will work better good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

http://www.clutchmtb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    I have a Trance 29er X 2. With almost 100 miles on it, I'm thinking a bash guard would come in really handy! Looking at it too late, I'm finding out that its pretty difficult to fit given the press fit BB and crankset. Short of buying a new crankset, I'm looking for options. Anyone else tackled this yet? Anyone on a TX29 running guards at all?
    Clutch MTB Solutions