mtbr member
    May 2008

Trance 29 x0 or X1

Any big reasons to spend the extra cash for the X0 or the X1. Frame and suspension are the same? Is it worth $1200 more?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I was asking myself this same question a month ago, I would up deciding the best bang for your buck model was the 2. Used the lots of loot I saved on some new riding gear, helmet, shoes, hydration pack, a dropper post, and a new hitch rack. I still came out cheaper than just purchasing the 0 or even 1, and I bet my smile is no smaller than someone on the 0 would be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The front suspension on the 0 is the Fox CTD "FIT", so the suspension isn't exactly the same. The 0 has better (stronger, lighter) wheels. The XT brakes are way better than the Elixir 3. The drivetrain is personal preference, but the SRAM X5/X7 on the 1 would be more on line w/ Shimano SLX vs. XT. The seat on the 0 is better (trust me, I've ridden both).

I demo'ed the X1 and was going to buy it and upgrade the seat, brakes and wheels. I had no issues w/ the drivetrain. When I started breaking down the costs of the upgrades, the lower entry price went out the window. I got out the door for $3600 on my X0. The brake upgrade would have been 3-400'ish, the wheels about $900+, the seat is a $100+ upgrade, and then the fork. The X0 is at least a pound lighter than the X1 if you care about that, even more when you convert it to tubeless. I don't know if the X1 wheels are UST wheels or not, but it took me 10 minutes to go tubeless on the X0.

The X1 is a great bargain as it sits. I just wasn't happy with the brakes, wheels or seat. Otherwise I was set to go and make those changes. The OTD price changed my mind and I've been in Giant bliss ever since!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thats what I wanted to hear. Where did you get it. That is a great price

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CMH22 View Post
    Thats what I wanted to hear. Where did you get it. That is a great price
    Local shop here in SoCal. I made it attractive for them by paying cash and saving them credit fees.