Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Ridin' in XTC!
    Reputation: arrowheadtroutm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    62

    Trance: 2005 vs 2006

    Is the X9 setup really alot better than XT? How much functionally better is the RP3 than the FloatR? Price went up $200 and pedals were eliminated...so something must have drastically improved?

    Thanks for your input.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danmtchl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowheadtroutm
    Is the X9 setup really alot better than XT? How much functionally better is the RP3 than the FloatR? Price went up $200 and pedals were eliminated...so something must have drastically improved?

    Thanks for your input.
    I would take a X9 anyday over XT, to me and it's just my opinion It just to seems to work better. I have an RP3 and think it's a great shock. I have ridden the Float R but not enough to give an opinion. The Frames BB interface is different this year and the TT is Hydroformed on the top part going into the seattube. Shimano raised prices this year and so all higher end bikes will be going up. It will be cheaper to buy and 05 than an 06.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1-bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,473
    I have XT Shifters, XT Frt Der. and a XTR Rear der. I don't know how it compares to X9 but I'm very satisfied with its shifting performance. Eitherway I the shifters/der. are going to be more of a preference thing, IMO.

    As for the Float R vs. the RP3, RP3 hands down. There is nothing wrong with the Float R but it lacks adjustablility for climbing and descending whereas the RP3 has great adaptability to whatever terrain you hit. The different modes make a big different, and I find the softest setting to be butter smooth on the downhill while the firmest setting stiffens the suspension nicely for the climbs. Goodluck on your decision...

  4. #4
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    I'm guessing you're talking about the Trance2 so on that ...Well I'm not to much a fan of the new frame design (shock housing) but the step up to an RP3 shock is sweet, way better than the FloatR and costs about $100+ US more than the FloatR - gona be one of my next upgrades for my T3. Not sure about the X9 v XT, guess that's pretty much personal. the REBA kicks a$$, excellent fork - just serviced mine after 2000+ miles and took out the spacer and extended it to 115mm travel. Guess we need some feedback from people who have riden the new Trance frame - acording to GIANT the new design is supposed to make the rear stiffer
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    ....... acording to GIANT the new design is supposed to make the rear stiffer
    i was told, it breaches patent rights another company owns.
    For me it makes no other sens to change the 2005' design as it was looking great and really stiff.

  6. #6
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by zack
    i was told, it breaches patent rights another company owns.
    For me it makes no other sens to change the 2005' design as it was looking great and really stiff.
    Not sure I would really believe that since the Trance frame hasn't changed in Europe or Asia, unless it's a US specific patent. Either way they'll have to pry my "patent infringing" Trance from my dead hands I'd smack the crap out of the shock on the new design Right now if I was someone looking into a Maetsro bike I'd be looking to get a 2005 model on the cheap.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  7. #7
    Ridin' in XTC!
    Reputation: arrowheadtroutm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    62
    Took your advice LyNx...picked up a T2 2005 model for $1400. Can't wait to try it out!!!!! Should be a step up from the Warp....in weight and performance.

  8. #8
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowheadtroutm
    Took your advice LyNx...picked up a T2 2005 model for $1400. Can't wait to try it out!!!!! Should be a step up from the Warp....in weight and performance.
    Very sweet deal you found there that's about a $400-600 savings, you actually got it for what I paid for my T3 stock. Bit of advice on the shock/fork, don't listen to RS on the PSI for the REBA most people have been running significantly lesser pressures 20% - I run around 90-100 and I weigh 175lbs. As for the Shock you'll need your body weight or more PSI - again I'm 175lbs and run about 190-200.

    Enjoy your new ride and be prepared to be amazed, it will decend or climb nearly anything.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  9. #9
    Ridin' in XTC!
    Reputation: arrowheadtroutm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    62
    Thanks. What upgrades have you done? What about tires...they seem to get horrible reviews. Also the brakes, not in the T2 reviews, but on their own, seem to get lousy reviews. Anything else I should check into?

    I appreciate your experience in helping me. Thanks so much.

  10. #10
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowheadtroutm
    Thanks. What upgrades have you done? What about tires...they seem to get horrible reviews. Also the brakes, not in the T2 reviews, but on their own, seem to get lousy reviews. Anything else I should check into?

    I appreciate your experience in helping me. Thanks so much.
    As I said it was a T3 I got initially and have done a few upgrades as follows.......... I upgraded the fork from a RS DUKE XC to a RS REBA SL (this was almost immediately as the DUKE came with bum bushings), I changed the cranks to XT HT2s (after about 1800 miles, Happy Bday me) and I "borrowed" a nice Bontrager 31.4" RaceLight stem & HB from a from friend (shortened the stem from 120 to 100).
    Only other upgrades I have planned for the near future include an RP3 shock and a new/second wheelset.

    Tire wise I found the bulldogs worked pretty OK to be honest, just they are very soft and wear quite quickly if you ride road. I also have a set of Hutchinson Pythons, which are a pretty good set of tires for hardpacked/road/not too technical stuff AND a mixed set of WTB Wierwolf & MutanoRaptor 2.3/2.4 which are my "aggressive" off-road tire combo - they work OK and are what's available here, better than the Pythons for sure. Would like to get hold of some really good MUD tires.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Did I miss something? What is the 2005 model?

    I only heard of the 2006 model, which will be introduced in December 2005 on the Dutch bike-market. There has never been a Trance in the Dutch Giant's collection before. Is this different to North-America?

  12. #12
    MBAA!
    Reputation: en are es's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    294
    Quite different. The Maestro elsewhere in the world (US at least) was released for the '05 year Your probably getting the '05 models now, labeled as '06. In '07, youll get the '06 labelled as '07, etc...
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Did I miss something? What is the 2005 model?

    I only heard of the 2006 model, which will be introduced in December 2005 on the Dutch bike-market. There has never been a Trance in the Dutch Giant's collection before. Is this different to North-America?
    In whole Europe will be '05 models except Czech republic (probably there is another one country), where will be '06 models.

    I'm still waiting for T2 model '06. Model '05 is totally sold in our country now

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Mmm... do I get this right?

    The model you see on the picture included; is the 2006 Trance 3, which will be released here in december 2005... ... is that actually a model which was released in Northern-America in december 2004? How about the parts? Are those 2005, and not 2006, parts as well?



    Thanks for your input!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18
    I thing this is the 2006 T3 model for USA market.

  16. #16
    MBAA!
    Reputation: en are es's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    294
    cgrim you are correct. That is the '06 US spec Trance.

    Xioz that is the '05 US but released as an '06 where you are I suppose. Your not quite SOL though, you can order an '06 trance and pay tons in shipping if you really like the US spec. Or wait a year. Then want the '07... and then in '07 you want the US '08. Its a vicous cycle, youll never get a bike!

    PS - what fork is on the '06 trance? im having trouble with giants website.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18
    RockShox Reba on T2 and Recon on T3.

  18. #18
    MBAA!
    Reputation: en are es's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    294
    The recon looks new... havent seen it before. Is it new?
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

  19. #19
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Mmm... do I get this right?

    The model you see on the picture included; is the 2006 Trance 3, which will be released here in december 2005... ... is that actually a model which was released in Northern-America in december 2004? How about the parts? Are those 2005, and not 2006, parts as well?



    Thanks for your input!
    Yup, that's what we in the rest of the world who saw them this year would call an '05 Trance Euro spec - has much nicer graphics, much subtler than the US models. Actually I think when it comes time to repaint my T3 (damn graphics are under the clear coat) I'll paint it back silver with a subtly diff silver graphics. I prefer the frame design of the "'05" model Trances/Reigns over the '06's anyways. Can't tell what parts exactly are on it though so can't comment - although it looks like a FlaotR which is cicra '05 US Trance 4,3 & 2s. The '06 Trance 1 & 2s come with RP3 shock.


    EDIT Just noticed that that shot of the '06 T3 is using a DUKE XC fork so maybe component specs are same as what '05 had.
    Last edited by LyNx; 11-24-2005 at 09:45 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    cgrim you are correct. That is the '06 US spec Trance.

    Xioz that is the '05 US but released as an '06 where you are I suppose. Your not quite SOL though, you can order an '06 trance and pay tons in shipping if you really like the US spec. Or wait a year. Then want the '07... and then in '07 you want the US '08. Its a vicous cycle, youll never get a bike!

    PS - what fork is on the '06 trance? im having trouble with giants website.
    Thanks. I get it, but don't understand why Giant choose for this strategy.

    The RockShox Recon is indeed new BTW
    Last edited by Xioz; 11-24-2005 at 04:23 PM.

  21. #21
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    The recon looks new... havent seen it before. Is it new?
    Yup Recon, Tora & J-Series fall under the more "XC" heading and they've added the Revelation to the all mountain section. The Recon replaces the DUKE - haleigh lou ya - and Motion Control has made it into alot of the forks. Coulnd't touch their new "All Star" the REBA so they just went ahead and changed the graphics to even more fugly ones than the original - good thing is they're just cheap stickers and easily changeable to something a bit more classy Oh yeh, the addition of a nice new set of Sweet Blue Enduro Fork Seals when you service the fork is a must - 'cause the just look so damn sweet and as a bonus work great
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  22. #22
    MBAA!
    Reputation: en are es's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    294
    I like the top tube of the Euro Spec '05 Trance, but the "GIANT" lettering could be in a different, better font. I sort of like the '06 US Trance design but I dont really know.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    @ LynX: I think they are full-specced 2005 models, except for the Hayes brakes.
    ______

    I don't like the Giant lettering as well. Eventhough I have my current bike (Giant ATX-860) for more than 8 years now; I always found Giant paint-schemes, lettering look very cheap. The designers have particular bad taste, except for many of the non-European models.

    The logo is way to big and the font has little style. Another disadvantage for the Trance is it's frameweight. And now.... the 2005 components.

    So now it all depends on the testride. Recently I scrapped the Scott Genius MC-50 from my 'contender'-list, but I think I go for a testride on that as well. Next to the Trance 3, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, and the Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro.

    Yesterday I called Giant Netherlands, they said the Trance 3 will be available in bike stores from week 52. Which I find late.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Does someone know why Giant changed the shock housing for the 2006 models?

    What I'd like to know is how if affects riding.
    Does the 2006 Maestro suspension work better/more effective than the 2005 system?


    ^^ 2005 Trance 1


    ^^ 2006 Reign
    _____________________________________

    Another thing I just noticed; The 2006 Euro Trance's have the 2005 shock housing and lower tube, but the 2006 US top tube. Very weird.
    _____________________________________

    My LBS has, despite his efforts, still no word from Giant Europe on when the Trance 2 could be delivered in The Netherlands + at what price.

    Cheers,

  25. #25
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Does someone know why Giant changed the shock housing for the 2006 models?

    What I'd like to know is how if affects riding.
    Does the 2006 Maestro suspension work better/more effective than the 2005 system?
    Suposedly according to GIANT the rear end is stiffer, but most feel it's changed because of a US patent infringment since all the Euro models use the original design.

    _____________________

    Another thing I just noticed; The 2006 Euro Trance's have the 2005 shock housing and lower tube, but the 2006 US top tube. Very weird.

    Cheers,
    Very weird indeed and maybe confirms the patent infringement idea.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18
    There will be Trance in 2006 design and 2005 shock housing in Czech republic. I've Trance2 ordered and still waiting ...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Suposedly according to GIANT the rear end is stiffer, but most feel it's changed because of a US patent infringment since all the Euro models use the original design.

    _____________________


    Very weird indeed and maybe confirms the patent infringement idea.
    I dont think that the suspension geometry is different. Is there a patent for that particular shock mounting that 2005 maestro bikes are using ? I dont think there is. I think that giant has optimized the design so i can be manufactured at lower cost.

  28. #28
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    I dont think that the suspension geometry is different. Is there a patent for that particular shock mounting that 2005 maestro bikes are using ? I dont think there is. I think that giant has optimized the design so i can be manufactured at lower cost.
    So if that's true, why would they still be using the older design for Europe ??????????? There's only one fab plant for these frames and I'd expect if your statement was true they would have moved all the Trance's over to the new design AND no I don't believe that they had a $hit load of the frames already produced and sitting there, enough so that they could supply the rest of the world basically besides the US with the old design

    Another theory please
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    There's only one fab plant for these frames....
    Do you know where? Cause there's a also a Giant plant in Lelystad - The Netherlands. But I'm not completely sure if they build Trance's there too. I think there must be more plants. And what about the different paint-schemes on US & European Giant's? As you mentioned, isn't it illogical that 2 quite different Trance's come from the same factory?

  30. #30
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,293
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrim
    I thing this is the 2006 T3 model for USA market.
    Wow, the paint scheme is pretty nice

    About the RP3 and Float, I believe, because I asked, is that the Float R is the same shock as the RP3 at middle PP. Even then, the RP3 is pretty nice.

  31. #31
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    I dont think that the suspension geometry is different. Is there a patent for that particular shock mounting that 2005 maestro bikes are using ? I dont think there is. I think that giant has optimized the design so i can be manufactured at lower cost.
    Patents are pretty weird. And most of this is urban legends. I "think" I've read that Giant looked at DW-Link for the Maestro and modified it for their specs. And I think is that the conflict is because of this. So if Giant changes something to make it clear it's not a DW then there is no problem, but this is speculation.

  32. #32
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Do you know where? Cause there's a also a Giant plant in Lelystad - The Netherlands. But I'm not completely sure if they build Trance's there too. I think there must be more plants. And what about the different paint-schemes on US & European Giant's? As you mentioned, isn't it illogical that 2 quite different Trance's come from the same factory?
    Well they do have more than one plant, did not realise that they had one in Europe :O anyways the chainging of paint schemes/graphics is minor chump change whereas the changing of fabrication machines/molds etc is a mucho dollar affair. If it isn't so that GIANT really has nothing doing but improving the frame, then they're playing guinea pig with the US to see what will happen or maybe it was only in the US market that they got stupid servey/customer feedback that the "holed" shock mount looked wierd - I dunno, just seems kind of wierd to be only chaing a product design in 1 country and leaving it the same for the rest of the world. And NO I haven't seen any "hybrid" Trance frames w/ the new top tube and older shock mounting design.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    And NO I haven't seen any "hybrid" Trance frames w/ the new top tube and older shock mounting design.
    Here you have a "hybrid":


    And I don't understand the 'new and ugly' shock housing design on the US Trance either.

    Cheers,

  34. #34
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Here you have a "hybrid":


    And I don't understand the 'new and ugly' shock housing design on the US Trance either.

    Cheers,
    So OK thanks for the pic Xioz. Now seriously explain now why Europe has this model and the US is using the new "root/rock bashing" style shock mount I'll stick with the fact that it's a US patent infringment of some sort, isn't any better explanation IMHO.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danmtchl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Patents are pretty weird. And most of this is urban legends. I "think" I've read that Giant looked at DW-Link for the Maestro and modified it for their specs. And I think is that the conflict is because of this. So if Giant changes something to make it clear it's not a DW then there is no problem, but this is speculation.
    Giant got there suspenion ideas from the VPP not the DW-link, actually they had to tweak there design because it infringed on Santa Cruz's patent.

    The bike above is a US 05 model but looks to have an 06 downtube with the big gusset.
    The bike that XIOZ posted is an 06 US model with the 05 BB junction. I think someone is really handy with the photoshop and made it themselves. I have looked all over Giant's global site and that bike is nowhere to be found.

  36. #36
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,293
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl
    Giant got there suspenion ideas from the VPP not the DW-link, actually they had to tweak there design because it infringed on Santa Cruz's patent.

    The bike above is a US 05 model but looks to have an 06 downtube with the big gusset.
    The bike that XIOZ posted is an 06 US model with the 05 BB junction. I think someone is really handy with the photoshop and made it themselves. I have looked all over Giant's global site and that bike is nowhere to be found.
    I think that first Giant looked at VPP, Santa Cruz sued, and then Giant went DW-link, which is not yet patented. I think there's a urban legend that DW is suing Giant, so that may be why Giant made some other changes. Even then, I think that Maestro and DW are not identical, but I'm not much of a suspension gury.

  37. #37
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl
    Giant got there suspenion ideas from the VPP not the DW-link, actually they had to tweak there design because it infringed on Santa Cruz's patent.

    The bike above is a US 05 model but looks to have an 06 downtube with the big gusset.
    The bike that XIOZ posted is an 06 US model with the 05 BB junction. I think someone is really handy with the photoshop and made it themselves. I have looked all over Giant's global site and that bike is nowhere to be found.
    Yeh, I've looked through several of the international sites and NONE have that bike up, they do HOWEVER have up the '05 frame using the reinforced Downtube gusset on the German site w/ the big GIANT on the downtube and on the Australian site using the big TRANCE on the downtube.
    .



    Don't know what's up with all the different version of the Trance, hope that the different countries aren't doing some Photoshop. Guess we'll have to wait and see when they get into actual peoples hands around the world and they report back on them w/ pics. Oh and BTW the French GIANT is really $crewing their consumers w/ the specs on the T3 for sure - Manitou Axle COMP fork - What a piece of $hit.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •