mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Trance 2 Wheelset

I've been considering buying a Trance 2 for some mildly aggressive trail riding. I climb for an hour, and ride across and down the mountain for 45 mins, and I never get more than 2 feet of air. I'm going to upgrade to Revelation U-turn forks but I need some advice on the wheels. How heavy are they and are they good enough for everyday riding? Would I see much of a performance gain by getting lighter wheels? I know rotational mass is important, but it seems intuitive for me that 50 grams saved on tires is more important than
    50 grams on hubs? Any comments?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Nothing?

All you bike lovers have no comment on the Trance 2 wheelset? I'm amazed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I will replace the original wheelset with a brandnew dtswiss 240s xr4.1d wheelset which is much more lighter ... I think the weight you save on lighter wheelsets is the best tuning you can get (because then you need to move less of mass..)

bye,
    sebastian
    http://giant-trance.cosimo.ch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhoy
    I've been considering buying a Trance 2 for some mildly aggressive trail riding. I climb for an hour, and ride across and down the mountain for 45 mins, and I never get more than 2 feet of air. I'm going to upgrade to Revelation U-turn forks but I need some advice on the wheels. How heavy are they and are they good enough for everyday riding? Would I see much of a performance gain by getting lighter wheels? I know rotational mass is important, but it seems intuitive for me that 50 grams saved on tires is more important than

Thanks
    I replaced the stock wheelset with a set of Mavic Crossmax XLs. They aren't the lightest, especially compared to their SL brothers but they are very durable. The drawbacks with Mavic wheelsets is the spoke availability from LBS' if in case you mess one up and hub maintenance (they don't need it often but require a bit more maintenance than typical hubs just from my 7 month experience with them so far). I ride cross country on the agressive side and I even race on this wheelset (never out to win just have fun and give hardtailers a run for their money).

Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Roll with the XL's one of the best High end wheel values (if that makes sense)
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

keep em

Thanks
    i also considered replacing the trance 2 wheelset while i could still get some $$ for the stock wheelset. they are definitely not the lightest, but have proved very solid. If I were to buy a stock trance 2 and didn't have a bunch of high end parts to build it with from former bikes (as I did)...i would much sooner buy a lighter and crisper drivetrain. I put the raceface crank on my wife's bike and we're not overly impressed. Crisp shifting is something you'll notice every time you shift....the subtleties of rotational inertia are a bit more subjective especially when you're already starting with a moderately lightweight wheelset.

the below comments are a summary of what i learned while trying to decide whether to ditch the stock wheels...and is biased by my preference for traditional 3-cross wheels that I can build and repair myself:

Hubs:
    The DT Cerit hubs are an OEM version of the DT Onyx, but a bit less machined on both the inside and outside of the hub body (so says the tech support at DT). DT told me that the working guts (axle, races, bearings) are the same as the Onyx hubset. They have proved more than solid.

Rims:
    rotational weight savings is saved in the tires, tubes (or lack thereof), and rims. Rotational inertia is related to the square of the radius from the axis of rotation....so rims and tires are WAY more important than hubs in terms of acceleration and braking responsiveness. the xm317 aren't super light but the lighter xc rim by mavic (xc717disc) is only about 50 grams lighter. The DT 4.1d are slightly heavier than the xc717disc, but reportedly more solid than the the mavics.

spokes:
    the stock wheels come with DT competition spokes (double butted). you could save 100 grams per wheel for lighter spokes (DT revolutions) if you can tolerate more flex and don't do drops.

i decided to keep the stock wheelset and beat the crap out of them for a while before building something from scratch next year. i took the money to buy a gps to map all of my biking and backpacking adventures.

there are tons of threads on the 'wheels' forum that you should read.

mtbr member
    I've just upgraded to Revelations U-turn Air on my T2 (Australian)... It comes stock with Mavic 217's, I don't really get more than 1" in the air. I ride fairly rough terrain and thus far the wheels have held up perfectly and as far as I can see are still true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by majura
    I don't really get more than 1" in the air.
    1 inch? oh, com'on. you're not that heavy are you?

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    1 inch? oh, com'on. you're not that heavy are you?

Hahaha I'm a metric system child: 1' (foot) or mayber more ( at least that's how far I feel I'm from the ground)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Trance 2 wheelset

Thanks
    I just purchased Bontrager Race X Lites for my Trance2. Had to buy XTR Centerlock Rotors but the weight difference can be felt.

MTB B'dos
    internet woes have kept me from regularly participating here now for over 3 weeks I got a T3 last year Feb and rode the crap out of that stock wheelset, and finally built up a set of XT hubs, laced to Mavic XC317 rims after the freehub on the stock set started getting noisy (after about 2,000 miles) I occasionally jump 1-2ft to transition and don't have to much finese yet the stock wheels lasted me almost a year and a load of miles. I would think the better set of wheels that come on the T2 would last even longer than the ones on the T3.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Thanks for the insight

Thanks everybody for the insight. I think I may stick with the stock wheelset for awhile and maybe upgrade next year.