Zero Miles from Myself

Trance 2 / Trance X2 Fit Question

Kicking around the idea of getting a Trance 2 or X2. Was wondering how I might fit on a small / 16". I see about the only diff is the top tube length of an inch which would not bother me as I do not like to reach anyway.

What other key differences are there in a S and M frame?

I am 5' 8.5" with a 32" inseam and weigh 175 lbs. My present ride is a Marin Rock Springs 17.5" and it feels like a monster. Though tech speaking it is the right fit, it just does not seem "flickable" enough to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am 5'7" almost 5'8". I ride a small trance x1and like the feel of it. I could go with a medium if I wanted to run a shorter stem, but the small feels good. I am longer in the legs with a shorter torso so the small really makes the reach perfect for me. I do more technical rides and like the control of the small, but if I were doing longer distance rides I might opt for a medium to feel a little more relaxed. Being in between sizes is tough. Try to ride both and see what feels natural. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, I like full extension on my pedal stroke so I had to go with a longer seatpost. The only problem is that I can't lower it very far if needed.

Zero Miles from Myself
    What you are saying is basically what I am thinking. I rarely ride "long distances" for a long stretch of time. Mostly go out for a few hours and hit a variety of trails.

Right now I feel too stretched out on my 17.5 so I think a 16 might work about right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm 5' 9.5" with a 32" inseam. I ride a medium 08 Trance X0. For me the size feels perfect. I test rode a small before purchasing and it felt tight inside the cockpit. I generally ride for a couple hours at a time with a little bit of everything and the X0 handles most of my needs. I would recommend heading to your LBS to test a few and see what feels best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm barely 5'-7" and ride a small Trance X1. If I were 5'-8", I'd go with medium.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by baklamente
    Oh yeah, I like full extension on my pedal stroke so I had to go with a longer seatpost. The only problem is that I can't lower it very far if needed.
    What is the height of your saddle from center of Bottom Bracket to the top of the saddle? I am measured at 29.5" for this setting with my inseam. That is where I start and then drop it for tech stuff.

In looking at the Giant web site, (if what I am seeing is correct) with a 350mm seat post on a 16 I would only be able to raise the seat to about 27-28" to the safe line.

I know a medium is what is called for in my size, but I am a very tight person (cannot touch my toes). Reaching for the bars is very uncomfortable for me on long rides.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Does the Trance Frame tend to run smaller or larger in their sizes than other brand Frames? Seems My Medium Marin Runs Large for a Medium frame.

I am basing The sizing of this Small Giant on the fit of my Medium Marin. The Marin seems too big too me.

TT:
    Marin - 23
    S Giant - 22

Head angle on each is the same

Stand over:
    Marin - 31
    S Giant - 30.2

Wheel base:
    Marin - 43
    S Giant - 41.9

Seat Tube
    Marin - 17.5 center to center
    S Giant - Appears on the site to be 16 center to top ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    For most riding my saddle sits at about 28-29 inches. I have a 32.5 inch inseam (if I measured correctly). I went with a 410 mm seatpost because I was pushing the limits of the stock post. This gives me a good riding position for most terrain, but I am limited to lowering it to to 26.5 inches. I am definitely at the limits of a small, with not a ton of options for saddle height (unless I throw on a shorter post).

I get knocking and clicking in my knee if I don't get good extension, so this works fine for me. I agree with Haisai, that if I were any taller (or had a longer torso) I would be fine on a medium.

I think a lot of it depends on how dialed in you want the fit to be. A medium would give you more options, but if the small is a perfect fit (like for me) and you don't need a lot of room to adjust then it is the way to go.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I just remesured my height to confirm what the Dr. Office told me. I am 5' 8.5" and my inseam measure according to bike fitting techniques is 31.5.

I think I will go to the shop today and ride the medium. That is all they have in stock. and compare it too my currennt bike.

Zero Miles from Myself
    OK, well that was weird. I didn't really see that coming.

I saw this new 2008 Trance 2 on ebay .... Small .... for $999 and free shipping. I put an offer in for $750 yesterday and the seller countered with $919. I started asking questions about it here and all but had myself talked out of a small.

As I sat here eating soup I watch the clock tick down on the bike. Another offer was made and countered. I watched. 3 min .... 2 min .... 1 min 45 sec .... still no one is dealing. I say what the heck, counter him with $800. I hit the counter bid button, 30 seconds left .... 24 seconds .... refresh .... I win !!!!!!!!

I do not know weather to be happy or kick myself in the butt. Oh well, I guess for a New l 2008 Trance 2 Things could be worse. I can always sell it for what I have in it if it does not work out for me.

Thanks for all your help and thoughts.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Congrats on your new purchase. Remember that you can always fine tune the fit of a bike by changing out the stem with a different length and/or adjusting the seat back and forth.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I agree Haisai,

I got to go to the shop this afternoon and ride both a Giant 18 and 16 hard tale that looks very much like the Trance without the suspension.

To me there was not that much diff in the 2 except I would need a longer seat post with the 16. I actually like the 16 a bit beter with the way I ride, but both felt good. The 18 made me feel stretched out, and that is why I was leaning toward a Small 16. But with the 16 I hit my knee on the shifter once in a turn.

Both were fitted with a 60 mm stem, so that is pretty short. These were all set up as rentals. I am guessing the Trances come with a longer stem than a 60mm.

Does anyone know what size / length stem the 16 Trance comes stock with? If it is a 90 mm this should be perfect. Then all I need is a 400mm seat post.