mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Trance 2 - Still Good Enough?

I have a 2006 Giant Trance 2, originally Australian spec, but upgraded over the years to:

Full XT Drivetrain
    XT Tubeless Wheelset
    Easton EC90 Bar and Stem
    Sella Italia Saddle
    Reba Race Fork (original)

The Bike weights around 12.9kg as is, but thats the limit without spending big bucks.

I like all sort of riding from enduro's to trail riding. I rarely think I need more travel, and I love the bike, it rarely lets me down.

That said, after 5 years I feel I finally can't resist the urge for a brand new bike.

Given the Trance X gives more travel and a significant weight reduction, but with basically the same Maestro suspension design is it worth to upgrade to a curent Trance X with similar spec if I am still happy with the existing frame? I am reluctant to keep throwing more money at it if upgrading to a new bike is going to give a bigger bank for my buck.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

MTB B'dos
    If you want a new bike, you want a new bike and the fact that you've ridden the old one for 5 years I think gives you the right to "splurge". Personally though, if it's wanting thinking there'll be a huge improvement, I think you'll be disappointed. How tall are you? I ask as if you want something that'll be a totally new feel and bike, give the AnthemX 29er a try, especially since you say you don't feel like you need more than the 100mm travel of your current Trance - AnthemX has the same 100mm.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think after 5 years i would want a new bike too to be honest. I would recommend to search around to see if anyone still has the 2011 new and in the box at a sexual discount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    When anyone asks my opinion on a cheaper used FS bike, I always suggest an older Maestro Giant. Sounds like you have a pretty slick ride now.

I don't know if you have another bike, but I have a single speed / 1x9 (convertable) and my Giant Trance X1. It's really nice to take the single speed out every now and then (actually more often than not in the winter).

I vote for a SECOND bike. You're current bike is already pretty nice.

More bikes = more fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think it depends on where you want to take your riding. If you want to do some jumping and hit some crazy stuff then perhaps a Reign or Reign x might be in order. However if you want to improve your cross country times perhaps an XTC Composite 29 may be the way to go. If you want something more capable than the Trance and want to really rail the downhills while being to climb then I would recommend an Anthem X 29er,incidently I own a 2011 Trance X2 as well as an Anthem X3 29er and feel that overall that the Anthem X3 29er is my most versatile bike.

I think you'll make a much better decision on a new bike or just keeping your current one after you know decide what you want to do with your riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    An update for what it's worth, I picked up a 2011 Merida 96 carbon 3000d. Loving it so far, but different to the Trance. The Trance will remain my second bike, unless overruled by the minister of finance.