Zero Miles from Myself

Trance 2 Giant (Maestro) Shock Pressure Set Up - Help!

I am setting up the Rear Shock and rebound for my new 2008 Trance 2. This is for the Trance 2 with the Giant Shock.

I started with the Guides 100% of rider weight which in my case was 175 lbs. I rode it like this yesterday and did not notice a problem, but was not setting up the sag/rebound. Today I try to set the sag with the 175lbs pressure in the shock and it is very stiff and the O Ring is not moving much at all.

Long story short .... to get anywhere near the recommended 20-30% sag, I had to set the shock at about 120lbs. In my search for pressure on this shock, that seems out of line with what others are experiencing.

Is there something wrong with the shock? Or does it just need to be "broke in"? Or do pressures from shock to shock really vary that much?

Also, where is are you setting your rebound? Do you close it all the way (clockwise) and then start backing off 'X' number of clicks?

Thanks for your help
    Mike

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Go with the sag recommendations. If it is 120 lbs gets you 20% then that's right. 100% rider weight is what we use for the Fox rear shocks, the Giant ones tend to use less pressure.

The nice thing about the Maestro design is that you can ride a pressure that feels right to you, soft, firm or in the middle it will still pedal well--so feel free to experiment.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

Zero Miles from Myself
    Thanks on that, it just kind of threw me when I was not lining up at all with the "Giant Suspension Quick Start Guide".

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sag is KING...pump psi is an unknown...just a reference from YOUR pump.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rebound - since your weight and shock pressure may be different than someone else, it doesn't really work to copy the same amount of "clicks" that someone else uses, but it might get you in the ballpark.

Generally for the rear shock, it's best to have the rebound just slow enough, so it doesn't kick you in the butt (or over the bars) over a big bump. One way to check is to pick up the back of the bike a foot or so, and let it go. If it sticks and doesn't bounce, the rebound is probably not too fast (but it could be too slow).

Zero Miles from Myself
    Fsrxc,

Rebound summary .... that helps. Thanks