Sully62

New question here. Trance 2 Bait (2006) and Switch (2005)

I've been shopping for a new FS bike and have tentatively narrowed my choices down to the Trance 2, Stumpjumper FSR and Kona Dawg Primo. I've been impressed by the reviews of the Trance 2 and want to give it serious consideration.

My LBS did not have any Trances in stock that were larger than 16 inch. The shop thought I would probably need a 20-inch (I'm 6-3). They told me they could get a 20-inch Trance from another out-of-state store for me to try. The kicker was that I would have to pay 20% to put the bike on layaway. I thought that was a little odd, but since they said the layaway price would be fully refundable, I went ahead and paid the price. The total price of the bike was $1,800, and I thought that was pretty good for a 2006 Trance 2. The bike supposedly will be here by the end of the week.

The store also mentioned that it would be a black bike. I'm not real concerned about the color, so I didn't think much about it. However, after doing some more reading, I discovered that the 2006 Trance 2 is Orange/Brown and the 2005 is Black. So, it appears that the bike that they are shipping to their store for me to try is a 2005 and not a 2006.

At best there was a miscommunication or noncommunication about the year of the bike that we were discussing. In any event, after reading some more on this site, maybe the 2005 would be preferrable to the 2006 due to the exposed shock. On the other hand, I don't think the front fork will be as good on the 2005 (Fox Float R on the 2005 vs. Float FP3). Any thoughts on whether I should look at the 2005 over the 2006?

The other issue is that I'm feeling that $1,800 may not be such a great deal for a 2005 bike (only $200 off the MSRP). What are others paying for a new 2005 Trance 2 these days?

Thanks.
    (great forum by the way)

CAK
    Reign Rider

Not Trance but Reign...

I went through the same frame issue when I was shopping for my Reign. I looked at a '06 and actually liked how the '05 design protected the shock better. I'm not sure where they got their measurements but my Reign H/T angle reads 68.5 degrees with a Nixon at full extension.

I know the new design has a carbon guard, still like the '05 version better.

68.5 Degree Head Tube Angle

Yeah Baby
    I'd Kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Heres a pick of my Trance 2 with the Trance 1 frame. I didn't like the Burnt orange color so my lbs switched the T2 parts to the white frame. I like it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTB B'dos
    Well I can't say I like the '05 design on the Maestros, but they seem to be working so far and no reports have come in on the shock mounting. Personally I absolutely hate the '06 T2 paint colour and would definitely chose the black '05 over the $hit brown '06. The FloatR instead of the RP3 is a loss, but one that I don't think I'd mind as much as the colour - u could always ak r LBS about switching out the FloatR for an RP3 and pay the diff or buy 1 later on down the line. Personally if u only strictly ride trail I think u'd b pretty happy w/ just the FloatR, but if u ride any road (especially climbing) u'd really appreciate the RP3.

U should be able to get an '05 T2 for a lower price than that I would think, but they were very popular and might not b too available now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well I can't say I like the '05 design on the Maestros, but they seem to be working so far and no reports have come in on the shock mounting. Personally I absolutely hate the '06 T2 paint colour and would definitely chose the black '05 over the $hit brown '06. The FloatR instead of the RP3 is a loss, but one that I don't think I'd mind as much as the colour - u could always ak r LBS about switching out the FloatR for an RP3 and pay the diff or buy 1 later on down the line. Personally if u only strictly ride trail I think u'd b pretty happy w/ just the FloatR, but if u ride any road (especially climbing) u'd really appreciate the RP3.

U should be able to get an '05 T2 for a lower price than that I would think, but they were very popular and might not b too available now.
    I didn't get what you were saying really. Do you mean you don't like the '05 design of the shock mounting?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Giant web site still specifies the Trance 2 as equipped with the RP3. It specs the Float R on the Trance 3.

Is this not correct?

I don't like the burnt orange either. Looks like it was copied from the contents of a used diaper. I see enough of that color doing my daddy duty!
    Last edited by Twister; 03-13-2006 at 07:38 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    I didn't get what you were saying really. Do you mean you don't like the '05 design of the shock mounting?
    YES Xioz, that's exactly what I mean (sorry I haven't replied sooner, haven't had internet acess for over a month - been borrowing friends for e-mail check every week)
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2005 price and size

Sully,

I just bought a 2005 black Trance 2 here in San Francisco for $1599 - I would not pay more for it as the 2006's are in and you should be able to drive a good deal.

PS: IM also 6'3" and went with the 22" frame which fits me like a glove - so definintely try both sizes before you commit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    YES Xioz, that's exactly what I mean (sorry I haven't replied sooner, haven't had internet acess for over a month - been borrowing friends for e-mail check every week)
    What happened? You've been bashing the '06 shock housing for a long time, and now you dislike the '05 shock housing as well?

Kind of a 'flip-flop' if you ask me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    One other thing to consider is the 2006 bikes do not include pedals... I've been researching bikes and my LBS just ordered me a 2005 Trance 3 for $1360 or something like that... we're waiting till he gets it in to find out a set price but no more than $1360... I found one at Hank and Frank in Lafayette and took it for a ride... i'm about 6' 2" and I ended up with a 20" Can't wait to get the bike... I chose this bike over a 2006 Specialized SJ FSR (bottom of the line model with the fox fork and triad rear shock) which I liked but not for $700 more... I talked with a giant rep and I think he convinced me to buy the trance... I like the fit and the ride so I guess as long as you're happy with what you get is all that matters... Save money and get pedals! go for an '05 if you can

-David

MTB B'dos
    NO, sorry I was borrowing internet and wasn't paying attention here it is so you can understand - I DON'T LIKE THE 2006 SHOCK MOUNTING DESIGN !!!!
    I think maybe now that's clear enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    What happened? You've been bashing the '06 shock housing for a long time, and now you dislike the '05 shock housing as well?

Kind of a 'flip-flop' if you ask me!
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Who is John Galt?
    I've read some reviews that said the 05 bikes had bearing problems and that Giant was going to fix that issue for 06. I'm also looking at 05 models, there must be a few around, but now that bearing issue has me spooked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Where did you see the bearing problem? I read about the fisher bearing issue and decided against a cake 2DLX... So far everyone I have talked to from Giant has been super nice... And I'm good friends with the owner of my LBS... I dont remember reading anything about a giant bearing problem... please shine some more light on that one... I'd like to know what i'm in for...

MTB B'dos
    Unfortunately yes, some people have had problems with bearings on the '05 Maestro designed GIANTs. I myself am still riding on the original bearings after over 3,300 miles but did pick down the rear and regrease them with proper grease (even though I think a few are not working totally as they should). GIANT F'd up and used raced bearings (which handle high rolling applications well - think skateboard - but not heavy loading like a rear suspension would create - to few balls) Chris from Enduro Fork Seals has put together a MAX bearing kit for the Maestro series of bikes though so no worries if they fail and GIANT is suposed to be giving free replacements. I'll prob replace mine sometime in the next few months when I order some stuff from Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    I've read some reviews that said the 05 bikes had bearing problems and that Giant was going to fix that issue for 06. I'm also looking at 05 models, there must be a few around, but now that bearing issue has me spooked.
    Last edited by LyNx; 03-28-2006 at 02:54 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My post got switched with yours LyNx.... Thanks for the info on the bearing problem... When I was looking for the Trance issue through some google searches I found the Enduro Bearing kit... I'll have to bookmark that incase I need it... Thanks!

-David

mtbr member
    Wondering - how will I know when the bearings on my Reign are shot? I've heard the familiar "brrrrcck" noise in the rear when I hit a sharp 4"+ bump, just as I had on my Trance - perhaps that's just an artifact of Maestro, right, not a signal of shot bearings?

mtbr member
    i can confirm about the problem with the bearings. One of our customers has completely grinded one of the upper bearings in the rocker.
    He was riding hard (lot of drops) for half a year now on his Reign.
    The replacement bearings we got from Giant are MAX type now without the cage.

MTB B'dos
    That noise you get when you hit a sharp edged hole/bump going fast is something I think all Maestro owners have experienced, but it normally goes away, or at least I haven't heard it in a while. As for how you'll know, the easiest way is to release all the air out of your shock and cycle the suspension and see if you feel anything - sticky/not smooth etc. Best way is to actually take it all down and remove dust caps and inspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by swoodbrn
    Wondering - how will I know when the bearings on my Reign are shot? I've heard the familiar "brrrrcck" noise in the rear when I hit a sharp 4"+ bump, just as I had on my Trance - perhaps that's just an artifact of Maestro, right, not a signal of shot bearings?
    Well that's very good to hear Zack, glad GIANT has maybe listened to the people who ride it's bike and taken action.
    Quote Originally Posted by zack
    i can confirm about the problem with the bearings. One of our customers has completely grinded one of the upper bearings in the rocker.
    He was riding hard (lot of drops) for half a year now on his Reign.
    The replacement bearings we got from Giant are MAX type now without the cage.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Who is John Galt?
    Quote Originally Posted by capflya
    Where did you see the bearing problem? I read about the fisher bearing issue and decided against a cake 2DLX... So far everyone I have talked to from Giant has been super nice... And I'm good friends with the owner of my LBS... I dont remember reading anything about a giant bearing problem... please shine some more light on that one... I'd like to know what i'm in for...
    I saw that bearing issue on the product review section of this site. Just tried to find it again and now I can't but there are sites for each model and lots of posts. Most hate the Bulldog tires and some the Hayes brakes. I asked about ordering one speced with Juicy 7s and was told that was a possibility -- but more money.

Members who have read this thread: 0