mtbr member
    May 2008

Trance 1 came in a box...got question

My bike finally arrived but it did not come assembled its in a Giant factory box. Is it that hard to put it together? I dont have bike mechanic skills but I do have some tools and have some decent skills putting things together. The reason why it came in a box was because I got a good discount.

Thanks!

Cycle Solutions
    Giants are the easiest bikes to assemble from the box. If you don't know what you are doing however when it comes to tightening your handlebars and setting up the brakes ect then get a mechanic to do it for safeties sake.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the tip I think i may find a shop willing to install it for $50 bucks better to be safe than sorry. Other shop wanted $250!

mtbr member
    $250!? Are you sure they understood you? We charge $30-35 at the most to put a bike together. And Giant's are very easy to put together compared to a bike that comes from the name of Pacific (excluding most GTs for some reason).
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    at first one of the employees said $30 or something and then later the owner said no way its $250 because they didnt want to break anything installing it. The employee was shocked himself and told me he didnt believe it could cost so high. I told them i wont hold them responsible if anything breaks since whats the worse can happen putting a bike together but they still said one price which is $250. I just hunged up the phone and ask other shops BTW I am in Taipei Taiwan and labor is not that expensive so I was quite shocked myself.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyba
    at first one of the employees said $30 or something and then later the owner said no way its $250 because they didnt want to break anything installing it. The employee was shocked himself and told me he didnt believe it could cost so high. I told them i wont hold them responsible if anything breaks since whats the worse can happen putting a bike together but they still said one price which is $250. I just hunged up the phone and ask other shops BTW I am in Taipei Taiwan and labor is not that expensive so I was quite shocked myself.
    The owner's probably upset you didn't buy a bike from him... You got a discount, so now he probably feels he can charge you whatever he wants...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was thinking the same thing

I AM I AM
    How did you manage to get a Giant shipped to you in the first plac?
    As far as I know Giant actually has a policy against that and no Giant dealers are actually allowed to sell the bikes in an unassembled (or boxed up) form.

I know this because here in Australia I couldn't even order one from interstate because they would have to ship it as is - as in complete, built up and not boxed - and obviously I wouldn't want it shipped like that - just screaming out "steal me I'm a new bike".

Hope your deal wasn't "too good to be true".

But as far as putting it together goes it should be pretty easy without any special or specific tools. The ParkTools website (Calvins Corner) is very handy if you do end up attempting it yourself. As far as your LBS charging $250 goes, that's well & truly obsurd. If they reckon they will brake something I would not give them the business for sure - it would be pretty hard to stuff up a bike to that extent if you're just putting a few bits on.

I'm guessing it's like 90% assembled?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yes the bike is 90% assembled so I guess its not that bad. I found out later today when I opened the box. Friend is in the bike industry so he ordered one from the dealer. Im sure he knows the dealer quite well in order for it to come boxed up. All other shops I checked out are all assembled. I got a nice discount but nothing like 50% like the employees get

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    All bikes come shipped in a box. It's just that Giant does not allow internet sales and all dealers/shops assemble their bikes.