mtbr member

Tranc 0 Ticking problem driving me nuts!!

Hi guys, Have a Trance 0 year 2007 (awesome bike, best thing I ever bought) but wonder if anyone can help solve this ticking noise thats recently developed when I push on the right pedal. I suspect it may be the bottom bracket. Have checked the chain ring bolts, all tight. A mate said it may be the right pedal, and to remove and lube the thread...
    It never seems to do it after I wash the bike and take it for a quick spin on the road to dry it.
    Now it seems the ticking happens twice each revolution, and again, only when I seem to crank the right side pedal.
    It doesn't do it going downhills on the tracks sitting on the saddle, so I think I could nearly rule out the shock / linkages (?)
    Any help would be great...Thanks

MTB B'dos
    Your friend is right, pull the pedal and lube the treads and also put a couple drops of lube into the shaft of the pedal. If that doesn't stop the ticking, then pull the cranks and the seals on the outboard bearings and give them a good clean out and re-grease them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If LyNx's suggestion doesn't work, try a different set of pedals altogether. I've worked on a bike that had the same ticking but, after trying other stuff, I used a second set of pedals. Ticking stopped. So I overhaued the pedals. No more ticking.

Aluminum crankbolts could do it too, no matter how tight they are, but if they are really tight AND it is the cranks bolts then that will generally only happen under lots of power.

Please let us know how you go. If it is still there, there plenty of things left to try.

mtbr member
    Guys, Thanks heaps for the help, it seems the problem is sorted!!
    I removed the pedals, lubed the threads with a fine coat of marine grease, then removed the centre bolt, lubed it too.
    Then I removed the chainring bolts, lubed with same grease, and retightened.
    Then rode 22ks on favorite trails and guess what....NOT A SOUND!!
    Amazing but true...so the BB stays as is. I am hoping it is a proper fix so will see how it goes.
    Thanks again for your help guys

OTB 1 Tree=2 frac vert
    Try taking out the card from the spokes. Always use wooden clothes pins, they won't scratch the finish