mtbr member
    May 2008

tire and saddle recommendation

I have Trance 1 and the stock seat(saddle) gets uncomfortable after 40 minutes. Can someone recommend a nice seat that looks good and doesnt weigh too much along with a tire that works well offroad and onroad. any advice?

BTW I mostly ride pavement but want a tire that will work decent offroads when I do decide to hit the trails.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Charge Spoon saddle, Iíve never heard of anyone who thought it was uncomfortable, itís also pretty light and only £20 with aluminium rails and seem to get a lot of good reviews, including my one below but you may have trouble getting hold of them cos theyíre so popular and not sold in the US etc. I canít believe some people can actually perch on those Devo saddles theyíre awful, Iíve also got SDG Bel-Air on 3 other bikes, theyíre even more comfortable but not as light and doesnít fit me as perfectly as the Spoon. I'll be swapping the Spoon onto my future bikes.

http://egf-blog.blogspot.com/2008/04/charge-spoon-saddle-do-i-like-it.html

As for the tires, Iím running Michelin Dry2 2.0 tires, theyíll be brilliant on pavement and grip and speed off road is also very good but you may have to watch them on really loose terrain because theyíve a tendency to drift but on everything else they stick like Velcro and seem to be lasting well.

[/SIZE]

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    WTB Rocket V SLT saddle is what I prefer. I've tried many and after getting one for my NRS C1 I just finished up you'll now find another SLT on my road bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Those tires look nice!
    Let me see if my local hobby shop carries them along with the saddle

Cheers!
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    I use Fizik Zeak for trail riding it gives you a lot of clearance to lean towards the back

mtbr member
    May 2008
    EGF168

Are those the michelin XCR tires? I was at the store today and they have them in stock. LBS only carries Top Peak saddles not sure if those are good but the one they have are around $120.
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yep, Michelin XCR Dry2 2.0in tires. Iíve never had any experience with Top Peak saddles though.

Pics anyone?

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    is there a huge difference between the XCR and stock Kenda tires on pavement? The stock Kenda tires on pavement are quite loud I think those huge knobs are slowing me down.
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah, the Nevegals are much slower, the Michelinís are actually racing tires, on pavement the Michelinís are faster, much quieter and a lot smoother, oddly smooth actually, so much so you donít notice how fast your going, Nevagalís will always be better downhill and cornering off road but Iíd choose the Michelins every time, Iíve done about 175 miles on them so far and that pics was taken about an hour ago.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info
    08 Trance 1

Live Free or Ride!
    I use a Selle Italia XC Gel SLR saddle, with Panaracer XC Fire pro tires. Does me fine for all the riding I do.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    One more vote for WTB Rocket V SLT saddle. Light and comfortable.
    As for the tires - Schwalbe Nobby Nic (front when wet) / Racing Ralph (rear + front when dry). They are a bit quicker than Nevs.

mtbr member

Here's my setup

Fizik Zeak saddle and Continental Mountain King tires
    100_2588.jpg
    Last edited by GiantCHaDSTeR; 06-27-2008 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I end up getting the Fizik Gobi saddle and Michelin dry2.0 XCR tires

The Fizik saddle has a much better padding but when I sat on it the comfort was the same I couldnt really tell the difference between the two...maybe ill notice the difference after some more seat time.

Giantchadster thats a sweet looking bike
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Oh the Gobi, some saddles take a while to break in or to get use to, but the profile was always to rounded which tended to cut in for me but lots off people seem to be able to ride them fine...
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just rode the bike the other day on paved road for an hour and the paint on my arse started to kick in real good. Even when the seats are broken in I dont see how much more comfortable it will be. Do you guys wear shorts with padding? I think thats the main reason why my I cant last more than one hour. I have ordered some shorts with padding hope it makes a huge difference
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I try not to wear padded shorts any when but in winter because theyíre so hot, and the Gobi is easily my least favourite saddle, itís too rounded so it cuts in, padded shorts will help but it wouldnít be enough for me to ride that saddle.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    what about this saddle? cheap price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...BSI%26otn%3D12
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    Yep, I've been riding Bel-Air's for about 6 years, they are easily the most comfortable saddle for me and the only reason I don't have one now is that the Charge Spoon is less comfortable but a better fit for me so they work out equal for me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You have tried both Gobi and Bel-air? I might give the bel-air a try since its quite cheap in price.
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yes, Iíve got the old style Bel-Air on my Whyte and the new one on the Trance X and that white one in the pics at the top of the page on my Slayer and just last weekend I was riding a friends Cannondale Rize with the Gobi, it was the only thing about the bike I hated. I would have warned you earlier but so many people swear by the GobiÖ
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Spesh Alias saddle and Maxxis Monorail on the Anthem at the moment. Happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Fizik Gobi Xm saddle, rave reviews as an trail saddle, light and comfortable. got one and am very pleased indeed, have been out for a 4 hour ride on it just after I put it one, very comfy on first go.

Had a WTB devo saddle on my trance X2, man that was uncomfortable.

Just waiting on some Continental Speed kings for the drier weather, hope they work out

I've heard the mountina kings are a very good tyre, lighter than the nevegals too

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ordered the SDG Belair RL I hope it will be comfortable. The Gobi Xm saddle doesnt work for me...for some reason I believe the stock saddle is more comfortable compared to the Gobi. For me the mountain bike shorts with padding made a significant difference. My Gobi is for sale if anyone's interested it also comes with the rear tail light.
    08 Trance 1