mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Thoughts on XTC 27.5 Advanced?

Specifically the 2014 XTC Adv 2 model? I may be getting this bike used, the dude's offering 2000. It's obviously pretty good I reckon, in terms of looks and what I've heard about the performance, but just wondering about anyone else's input.

I'm a bit annoyed that it doesn't have a CTD remote or a seat clamp but I can live with that. I'll probably run the fork trail mode the entire time anyway, during a race. Maybe even install a dropper if possible.

The bike I'm looking at has Racing Ralphs 2.25 tubeless put on, OURY grips and a 36t Hope NW ring. Pretty damn good price for 2000 I reckon.

Is it worth swapping the wheels for crests? If these were the PXC rims I would, but these are the XCR-1's, so I dunno.

Also, is there anything I should know about carbon bikes? I have an alloy 29er right now and I flog it pretty hard, don't know if I should do the same with this bike. Although, the wheels would probably take more of a beating than the frame.

AND, also anything I should know about Fox suspension? Planning on swapping oil every 4 mths and change seals every year.

Thanks. Hopefully any responses will not only help me, but anyone else looking at an XTC 27.5.

Your Best Friend
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 27.5 2 - New and Used Bike Value

This is a great bike at a steal of a price. Just go for it. The wheels on it are better than Crests so that is great. The carbon will hold up just fine.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    I have an xtcadv3, no 2 in the states.
    So far, so good. It's been solid so far, although it hasn't seen anything super gnarly yet, just a 30" downhill drop at most. And I don't think any of the local xc race courses will have anything bigger than that.
    I am still a little tentative with carbon, myself, but I'm pretty confident that through my lbs, should I break it, I'll be able to get it replaced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    @silentfoe That's good to hear, although it will always linger in the back of my mind to try to keep the carbon safe as possible

@chipper Also good to hear, except I have no warranty buying used. Hopefully I just don't get unlucky

mtbr member
    If you have a good relationship with your local giant dealer I'm sure they can work around that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the 27.5 Advanced 2014 team edition (xx1, carbon wheels) and it rips. I beat the snot out of it and it takes all like a champ. I ride everything I shouldn't on it, big drops, little drops, you name it. As long as I'm not scraping the frame I'm riding it. Unless you crash or are 200 + lbs, I wouldn't worry about cracked frames.
    2013 XTC 27.5, 2013 GIANT ANTHEM X ADVANCED 1x11, 2014 GIANT TCR, 2015 Propel
    http://www.bigtolittlebryan.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's pretty reassuring. I'm only 60kg though, so I'll probably have no issues unless I really mess up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjasstolemytv View Post
    That's pretty reassuring. I'm only 60kg though, so I'll probably have no issues unless I really mess up.
    Its a great bike, i killed my frame though. It's being replaced under warranty....did about 6000miles before it died though so not bad really! :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I have the 2013 xtc advanced 2. It is a great bike to race. The frame is plenty strong but there are lots of loose rocks in my area. I added clear protective film to the whole underside of the down tube and stuck the giant armour on top of that. I have had some big hits from rocks flying up and no damage yet.
    I have damaged the paint work by having the chain fall off and also the rear rotor can scratch the chain stay when installing the rear wheel if your not careful. No carbon was damaged though, it is pretty tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

This frame uses a bb92 in case anybody is looking to swap goods out. Just as a psa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyridegiant View Post
    I have the 27.5 Advanced 2014 team edition (xx1, carbon wheels) and it rips. I beat the snot out of it and it takes all like a champ. I ride everything I shouldn't on it, big drops, little drops, you name it. As long as I'm not scraping the frame I'm riding it. Unless you crash or are 200 + lbs, I wouldn't worry about cracked frames.
    Nice to know it doesn't have to be babied. Some LBS's in my area have that frame for sale, and I'm looking at it as a base for a second hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'll be selling my XTC Advanced 1 27.5 frame after the holidays. It's the dark blue frame that looks great. If anyone is interested feel free to IM me. Haven't even thought about price yet.

Quote Originally Posted by elco View Post
    Nice to know it doesn't have to be babied. Some LBS's in my area have that frame for sale, and I'm looking at it as a base for a second hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can anyone weigh in on sizing on an XTC Advanced carbon 27.5?
    I am 5'10 and saddle height is 73.0cm.
    Would that put me on a large? Or is a large a "biggish" bike?
    I have no problem with longer reach- in fact I like longer reach.

mtbr member

Go with the L. I'm on a medium, and it feels smallish to me at 5'8".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks- what is your saddle height? Pics of your bike setup?

mtbr member

This is a little outdated. I have 137mm of seatpost exposed, and some riser bars on now, as far as rider setup goes. I have a bunch of other stuff too, but nothing that makes the cockpit feel any different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Would an XTC adv 27.5 be noticeably firmer/harsher than a XTC adv 29?

mtbr member

Yes.
    It gets markedly more comfortable with a carbon post and bars though. And whatever seat your bunses are partial to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Absolutely love my 2015 27.5 Adv 3. I did a full XT swap except brakes and went with Crests along with carbon bars/post. Never rode it stock but in current form it is incredibly fast and handles great. I have some heavy Onza gumwalls on for training/looks but with race tires its in the mid 22 lb range. I am 5'6.5" and ride a small. I could have rode a medium, but like a smaller/lighter bike under me.

I work at a Giant dealer and almost pulled the trigger on a 2014 Adv 2 we have sitting around, but for the price I think you could build up the 3 to be very close in spec for a better deal. Same exact frame. The 27.5 XTC Advanced line overall is one of the better hardtails on the market imo.

Thoughts on XTC 27.5 Advanced?-snapchat-303046116009113880_1.jpg

mtbr member

Mine is now complete.

Pretty similar to above. Carbon bits and bobs, Sid fork, stans crests, you get the idea.
    I haven't weighed it yet, but it's definitely the lightest woods bike I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Mine is now complete.

Pretty similar to above. Carbon bits and bobs, Sid fork, stans crests, you get the idea.
    I haven't weighed it yet, but it's definitely the lightest woods bike I've ever owned.
    SID fork, nice! How much of an improvement is it over the stock Recon?

mtbr member

It's stiffer, lighter, the lockout is a little tighter (for those stand up efforts) and it's all black!
    Shock absorption wise it's almost a wash, because the flex on the recon really adds to the action of the fork. That's not to take anything away from the Sid, but to say the recon is pretty damn good for a "budget" fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

This bike is a rocketship! Can't tell you how much I actually enjoy climbing on this thing.

19.5 lbs w/ pedals (M-FORCE 8 TI Xpedo Pedals)
    2.4 X-king on the front
    2.2 Race King on the Back
    1x11 setup (34t up front)
    2013 XTC 27.5, 2013 GIANT ANTHEM X ADVANCED 1x11, 2014 GIANT TCR, 2015 Propel
    http://www.bigtolittlebryan.com