Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    24

    Thomson Stem couldn't fit into overdrive frame

    Is there a Thomson elite stem that is compatible with the Anthem X 29er? Tried to fit one into the overdrive but couldn't get it in. Advice appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,719
    What's your steerer size?

    If your steerer tube is 1 /18" at the top any 1 1/8" stem should fit, the only problem could be trying to fit a 1 1/8" stem into a 1 1/2" steerer.

  3. #3
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    "Overdrive" Giants try to bring back the 1.25" (1 1/4") steerer tube interface and/or make you buy their stems As I stated, the overdrive steerer is a 1.5-1.25" tapered steerer, so if you find a stem for a 1.25" steerer it'll work, if not go to your nearest Giant dealer and see if they have or can order one for you.

    FYI, "normal" steerers runs either 1.125" (1 1/8th) or 1.5" (for DH/FR mainly)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    What's your steerer size?

    If your steerer tube is 1 /18" at the top any 1 1/8" stem should fit, the only problem could be trying to fit a 1 1/8" stem into a 1 1/2" steerer.
    Thanks for all the help and replies..

    Mine is 1.25in at the top... apparently it seems that Thomson only sell 1.125 inch and 1.5 inch stems. ..

    One more question, are there other stem to recommend that offers the same quality stiffness, precise steering like the Thomsons? I'd actually wanted a Thomson elite to complement the seatpost stem that I already got but that is outside my choices now.. )

  5. #5
    Epic rider
    Reputation: rapsac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    317
    Giant names:
    Overdrive = std tapered
    Overdrive 2 = 1.25" top 1.5" bottom

    2012 x0 and x1 are Overdrive 2, others are Overdrive...

    Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Crap! I have a 2012 Anthem X 29 0 (Overdrive 2) and just ordered a Thomson 1 1/8" stem from overseas. I didn't realise Giant used a 1.25" stem.

    I'd also be keen to find out what stems are available for the Anthem X 29.

  7. #7
    Epic rider
    Reputation: rapsac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    317
    Syntace F119 should fit Overdrive 2 steerer.
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    I found the Syntace F119 too, but don't really like the look of it. Is that literally the only compatible stem? I couldn't find anything else.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jossa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    182
    Last edited by jossa; 06-16-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: details!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jossa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    182
    Get yourself one of these when they come out, then at least you've got something Thomson at the front of your bike!

    Bike Thomson: mtb

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa View Post
    Get yourself one of these when they come out, then at least you've got something Thomson at the front of your bike!

    Bike Thomson: mtb
    Thanks but got a carbon easton handlebar earlier. Would really want to have a shorter stem from Thomson.

  12. #12
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    I dont know that Thompson makes a 1-1/4 stem but Syntace makes a great one, the F119. Basically It kicks ass
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I dont know that Thompson makes a 1-1/4 stem but Syntace makes a great one, the F119. Basically It kicks ass
    Can you give some more detail about what makes the Syntace stem good? I was worried by the appearance and light weight that it might not be suitable for me. I'm 250lbs with riding gear.

  14. #14
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
    Can you give some more detail about what makes the Syntace stem good? I was worried by the appearance and light weight that it might not be suitable for me. I'm 250lbs with riding gear.
    Check these out:
    Syntace F119 Stem Review - BikeRadar

    F109
    Syntace F109 OS Stem Review - BikeRadar

    Syntace

    Ti-bolts are standard, its Carbon friendly and has a 200 degree head. I must say I have to agree with these reviews, I own the lighter of the two F109 and for its weight its incredible strong not to mention Syntace's 10 year warranty...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Check these out:
    Syntace F119 Stem Review - BikeRadar

    F109
    Syntace F109 OS Stem Review - BikeRadar

    Syntace

    Ti-bolts are standard, its Carbon friendly and has a 200 degree head. I must say I have to agree with these reviews, I own the lighter of the two F109 and for its weight its incredible strong not to mention Syntace's 10 year warranty...
    Thank you very much!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    I found a well priced Syntace F119 stem advertised online. Before I buy I wanted to check a few things. The seller says it's 105mm. Not 110mm or 100mm like I've seen listed in reviews.

    I've also seen this stem advertised online a lot as "Syntace F119 Road". Is that the same stem or is there a road specific version?

    Thanks!

  17. #17
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,178
    Hum... the Syntace website only lists it in 110 or 120mm... Im not sure how much Id trust one claimed to be 105mm... I dont know if they make a separate "road" versions of different length though...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Yeah weird, their site says those two sizes, reviews list additional sizes, and when I Google 105mm there's lots of references to that size. But 'Road' is mentioned too.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Actually just realised they list it under Road and MTB on the Syntace website.
    Syntace

    The seller says the packaging actually has 105mm written on it so he's quite certain that's the size.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    I'm trying to find an F119 in 110mm but it seems like no one has them or they are discontinued.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleGeorge View Post
    Thanks for all the help and replies..

    Mine is 1.25in at the top... apparently it seems that Thomson only sell 1.125 inch and 1.5 inch stems. ..

    One more question, are there other stem to recommend that offers the same quality stiffness, precise steering like the Thomsons? I'd actually wanted a Thomson elite to complement the seatpost stem that I already got but that is outside my choices now.. )
    I read somewhere (thought it was Thompson's website) that they're currently on the fence about 1.25" stems and waiting to see if a market develops. That said, Ritchey also makes one: Ritchey 2013 WCS 4-Axis 44 1.25" Bike Stem - BB Black
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRootbeer View Post
    I'm trying to find an F119 in 110mm but it seems like no one has them or they are discontinued.
    I was only able to find a 105mm so that sounds about right. Luckily I was happy with a slightly shorter stem. Email Syntace directly if you want to know for sure. They usually reply quite quickly.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I read somewhere (thought it was Thompson's website) that they're currently on the fence about 1.25" stems and waiting to see if a market develops. That said, Ritchey also makes one: Ritchey 2013 WCS 4-Axis 44 1.25" Bike Stem - BB Black
    The Ritchey is listed as a road stem. Do you know if it's rated for mountain biking? The Syntace 1.25" F stems are used on road bikes too but are rated for downhill and are super strong.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
    The Ritchey is listed as a road stem. Do you know if it's rated for mountain biking? The Syntace 1.25" F stems are used on road bikes too but are rated for downhill and are super strong.
    From Ritchey's website: Mountain Bike Stems - Ritchey Mountain Bicycle Stems

    They list a 1.25" mtn stem, 5th column, 3rd row.

    Edit: That said, Giant's top of the line OD2 stem ("Contact") is 20 grams heavier than the Ritchey (110mm) but I like the bolt positioning of the Giant better than the Ritchey. Looks like it would be less flexy, and it's cheaper.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    From Ritchey's website: Mountain Bike Stems - Ritchey Mountain Bicycle Stems

    They list a 1.25" mtn stem, 5th column, 3rd row.

    Edit: That said, Giant's top of the line OD2 stem ("Contact") is 20 grams heavier than the Ritchey (110mm) but I like the bolt positioning of the Giant better than the Ritchey. Looks like it would be less flexy, and it's cheaper.
    Cool, yeah you're right, they list it under both MTB and Road, as do Syntace with their 1.25" stems. The owners manual says that it shouldn't be used for 'jumps' but hopefully that's just Ritchey being legally conservative. And that condition seems to apply to all but the Severe Condition SC stems, which I don't even see on their website.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •