mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Is there any Anthem X 29er owerns who doesn't race their bike?

Is there anyone who owns an Anthem X 29er and doesn't race it? I.e. only using it as a "normal" trail/cross country bike. How does that work for you? I sort of get the impression that it's only racers who own Anthems.

davidcarson48
    No way! I ride with two guys who don't race their Anthems. They are very happy with the bike for general XC riding.

mtbr member
    I don't race and I love mine for XC rides. I feel significantly faster when riding my Anthem X29 compared to my 26" Trek Fuel EX9.
    Last edited by YeahWhatever; 08-16-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Your Best Friend
    I own the Advanced 0 X29er and I only raced it once. I didn't buy it for racing. I like nice, light and efficient bikes. Plus the Anthem is a great all around bike. I threw a dropper on mine and besides really big stuff (which scares me anyway), there isn't anything I don't do on it.

mtbr member

Is there any Anthem X 29er owerns who doesn't race their bike?

I'll be doing a race on it here in a week or so (it's first) but otherwise it's all trails. I absolutely love this bike, its definitely boosted my confidence. It's a very capable XC bike.

mtbr member
    The only race I've taken it on was the local 24 Hour race. It's an excellent all around cross country bike that can dab in the all mountain terrain without any issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Taken my anthem 29er x1 over a bit of varied riding with no racing (single track, loose rocky ground etc). As a whole I have found it to do most things I have asked quite well - even chairlift dh runs

At this stage though I am looking at selling it and getting a more trail oriented bike like the trance 29 / trance 27.5 / other bikes in this category. Mainly as the geometry means you have to be careful on some terrain and you have to push hard to get the best out of the bike which sometimes means a few mistakes will be made - I pushed too hard on a dh run with mates late last year and cracked a few ribs.

mtbr member
    While my Anthem isn't my primary go to bike and I have raced on it, it's a very able bike in most situations you can throw at it. I've had it at Moab, Mammoth and our local "AM" trails- you'd be surprised what it is capable of. The Maestro suspension is very well sorted. Geometry is of course XC oriented but don't let that limt you.
    When I die I'm afraid my wife will sell all of my bikes, parts and gear for what I told her I paid for them.

mtbr member
    Nope, never raced mine. People seem to think that "XC" bikes are for "racing" and no one else would want an XC bike. They're good, light weight, efficient bikes designed for riding long distances, climbing well, descending with reasonable confidence, and negotiating tight single track. Now, sure, the combination of those traits makes a good XC bike a good race bike, sort of like a sports car. But just because you have a sports car, doesn't mean you have to race it to enjoy it. So don't believe the hype. Just take one for a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just got the 2014 model. Used to mt bike a lot years ago but, coming back, wanted something fairly light and fun. As I won't go bombing down steep hills or jumping off ledges I figured a XC type bike would be a good choice. So far it appears to have been the right decision.

Tim
    Last edited by mcteague; 08-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Me, but I'm hopefully replacing it with a '14 Trance.

The bike's fine for everything, just found myself wanting to charge harder on some techy stuff that more travel makes much more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Raced mine one time. I use mine for all day fun trail rides. Its comfortable, light and efficient. I have taken mine on everything except super knarly down hill runs. The geometry is a little steep at times but its a truly great riding bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Bought a new 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 a couple weeks ago. Coming from a Trek Superfly hardtail. The suspension is fantastic on local XC/Trail runs. However, I agree with jarwes, geometry (head angle) is steep. My only real complaint.