Tire Geek O_o

Telescopic Seatpost for a Reign 2008?

I am looking to update my reign, and and the first thing to change will have to be the seatpost. Definitely for AM a telescopic one is the way to go, they are extremely expensive, but sadly thars the way the market is going.

I was seriously considering the Rock Shox Reverb, but I kinda dont understand wich length to buy (380mm length or 420mm). My frame is size M.

I was looking at the 2011 Giant Reign 0 and it comes stock with a "Crank Bros. Joplin 4 R, 30.9 w/remote & 100mm height adj."

The frame hasn't changed in that aspect since 2008, therefore I am positive I have to go for a 30.9 diameter, I measured my frame and its the same.

I have also noticed that the Crank Bros Jopli 4 can be get a bit cheaper than the reverb, and thre is also a KS or something like that?

Can any one give me any opinions, hands reviews, and/or feedback? I would appreciate!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I've used crank bros on my reign & trance for a few years..
    Only issue I've ever had is that some seats are are flexy will compress enough to trigger the compression nut & cause the seat to drop a bit. I merely carve out a little material from under the seat base & all is good.
    My issue might be related to the fact that I run my seats all the way forward on the rails to assist in climbing though?

Tire Geek O_o
    I have seen a couple of pictures of the Crackbrothers, is the seatpost tube high above the seatpost clamp?
    how low can it reality go?

any pictures perhaps?

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by cesalec
    I am looking to update my reign, and and the first thing to change will have to be the seatpost. Definitely for AM a telescopic one is the way to go, they are extremely expensive, but sadly thars the way the market is going.

I was seriously considering the Rock Shox Reverb, but I kinda dont understand wich length to buy (380mm length or 420mm). My frame is size M.

I was looking at the 2011 Giant Reign 0 and it comes stock with a "Crank Bros. Joplin 4 R, 30.9 w/remote & 100mm height adj."

The frame hasn't changed in that aspect since 2008, therefore I am positive I have to go for a 30.9 diameter, I measured my frame and its the same.

I have also noticed that the Crank Bros Jopli 4 can be get a bit cheaper than the reverb, and thre is also a KS or something like that?

Can any one give me any opinions, hands reviews, and/or feedback? I would appreciate!
    The length to choose depends on how far extended you run your seat at the fully extended position (or with a fixed seat post). If you are reasonably normally proportioned on a medium frame a 380 should be fine. A 420 is for very tall people or at least people with very long legs in proportion to their torso. I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam and run a 380 Reverb on my medium Reign X and am well over the minimum insertion.

mtbr member
    i'm 5'8", and like to have about 4" between tallest and shortest saddle position.

i have an 08 reign x (small frame w/ 16" seat tube) and run a 380mm specialized command post w/ 100mm travel. i believe i have more than the minimum length inserted in my seat tube.

one way to figure it out is to take the total seatpost length, and subtract the travel length, to give you the seatpost's length in its lowest position (in my case that was 380mm - 100mm = 280mm). i then "guestimated" that i'd need a minimum of 3 inches (or about 75mm) buried in the seattube. that would leave me with about 205mm of seatpost (280mm - 75mm - 205mm) in its lowest position and about 305mm of seatpost (380mm - 75mm - 305mm) in its highest position. when i compared this to my rigid post, i realized that i could bury the command post a bit deeper than the 3" (75mm) minimum, and i'd still have enough seatpost extension at max height for me.

however, if i needed more than 305mm of seatpost (when set at highest position), then the 380mm length would be too short for me--and that is actually the case w/ my small Ventana Pantera (for its short 15" seattube, i run a 410mm rigid seatpost, and would need something longer than a 380mm adjustable seatpost if i wanted to get max saddle height for efficient pedaling).

Tire Geek O_o
    I have pulled the trigger for a KS i950 with remote

IŽll post once I have a couple of weeks on it , it might take a while....