Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Talus RLC on 14.5 Trance 1

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BikeSATORI 
#1 ·
We are thinking of upgrading the F100RLT Fork that is coming on my wife's Trance to a Talus.I see some other people are already doing the same. The intent is to run it at 100 mm most of the time unless we climb up to somewhere for a long epic descent where she likes to rake her bike out a bit for confidence. Does the Talus work well at the smaller extensions or only when fully extended.
Telemarc

#2 ·
I have dialed my Talas down to 100mm on my Trance 16" for a ride and I never felt it bottom out and it felt very smooth, but I think I utilized all the travel a couple of times through the ride which is how the fork should function. I like this fork probably as much as my Vanilla and alot more than my '02 Float.

#3 ·
yeah, Talas (notice the spelling- not "Talus". its- Travel Adj. Linear Air Spring) on Trance 16" - I was planning on doing the same thing this summer when I transfer all of the parts from my NRS over to a Trance frameset. I too would like the stability of a slacker head angle and a bit more travel for steeps too, and this might do the trick. I bet the climbing would improve too w/ the 90mm setting, although not on tech climbs, you will be scraping the cranks/pedals maybe (although 10mm isn' that much dif. in bb height)
But, I was wondering what people's input was about the Talas R verses. the Talas RLC?? I'm not sure that the extra $100 or so is worth it?? I spent all that extra money getting a Float 100rlc last year, and I hardly ever use the lockout (worthless- I'll go ride my trials bike if I want a rigid), and once I got the compression dialed I never messed w/ it again. Also I hear that the compression knob on the Talas is easily bumped and spun on accident when spinning the travel adjustment knob on the fly, putting it out of whack and having to be redialed. I would just hope that the factory set compression settings on the "R" are good for my style/weight. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.