Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Talon owners .....

post up , likes and dislikes , would you recomend one to a friend or family member ? any issues ? pics would be nice too
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    I love mine !!!! Kills the trails with no problems

Rodizio
    Jul 2011

I like my Talon and have recommended it to others. I've upgraded the trigger shifters, cassette, pedals, seatpost, and changed to a 1x9...I'm going to purchase a new set of tires and a new saddle shortly...

mtbr member
    I would recommend it to anyone on a budget.

Dislikes: fork, crankset, saddle, headset, seatpost and bar/stem combination.

Have changed many of the dislikes since I got it and is my favorite ride, the only item pending is the headset.

Future changes: ust tires, tubeless conversion kit.

MTBR Member
    Jan 2012
    Great landscape! Of course bike also

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I thought it was a great bike. With a fork swap a fantastic bike. Not the lightest, but very durable.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    2012 Fox Shock
    Crank Brothers Seat Post
    SLX Crank
    SLX Shifters
    Giant Flat Bar
    Lizard Skin Grips
    Lizard Skin Chain Guard
    Continental MK Tires
    SLX Cassette
    SLX Chain
    SLX Derailleur
    Salsa Seat Clamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-my-giant-talon.jpg  

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Great bike, terrible fork. Once that was replaced(Marz Micro Ti), I was in heaven.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I am telling you it's an awesome 29er for the price.

mtbr member
    any short riders ? im 5'5" , I really like the look of these , my LBS only has a L , and i need to try a small and medium , i tried out a Scott Scale small , and it had a good fit for me , but the Talon seems to run different in sizing , how is the goemetry for shorter riders ?
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I love my Talon 2. Price was just right for me as a beginner and the black/white/red color combination just looks sharp. Ive seen alot of people here complain about the stock fork but I think I am to new a rider to know that it's not good. Ive upgraded the stock seat and switched to flat pedals from the stock beartrap type. Only thing that has broken in the 4 months I have had it is a chain link that was a 6 buck fix at my lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-img_0500.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a talon 2010 talon 1. The front shock was terrible but replaced that with a marz bomber 44 micro ti. I could have been happy with it if I had never ridden a nice fork.
    I broke the chain after about 200 miles. The rear derailur kept coming loose, some locktite fixed that.

Seat post kept coming loose and finally damaged the grooves that prevent it from moving. I replaced that with an easton ea70 from the classifieds and now its perfect!

Fork 225
    chain 15
    seat post 35

Oh, and all the reflectors broke off.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    post up , likes and dislikes , would you recomend one to a friend or family member ? any issues ? pics would be nice too
    I have had mine for 6 months now... I agree the fork is a little weak and I will probably end up upgrading it down the road. Replaced the stock pedals with Diety Decoy's and got some 5.10 Impact shoes (LOVE them). All the reflectors and dork disk "fell" off. Flipped the stem over to give it a more aggressive stance. Considering converting to tubeless using stans, but not sold on that idea yet.

I ride it 2-3 times a week and it is holding up well. For the money (got it as a 2011 blowout when the 2012's were coming in) I would say it is a great bike, and I would recommend it for an entry - mid level rider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-429625_3255350587923_1391820971_3173618_1909468481_n.jpg  

Talon owners .....-407215_3194592229002_1391820971_3151110_788343342_n.jpg  

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    any short riders ? im 5'5" , I really like the look of these , my LBS only has a L , and i need to try a small and medium , i tried out a Scott Scale small , and it had a good fit for me , but the Talon seems to run different in sizing , how is the goemetry for shorter riders ?

I am 5'6'' and I ride the small, and it fits me great. Been riding it 2-3 times a week for 6 months now.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Great shot there with the flag.

Go Speed Racer
    When I was last out on a ride, I noticed a Ski Chalet tent setup and they had bikes out there to demo. They were all Diamond Back's. I thought, hey those are Walmart bikes, right. Well I took one of their top of the line bikes out for a spin... It was a FS (I have never ridden a FS bike before). One thing I noticed that worked considerably better than my beloved Talon, was how much better the brakes felt. It had Shimano Deore XT hydrolics. I noticed that my hands get really tired on long downhill runs on my Talon. So that got me to thinking, I wonder if I can adjust these Giant Root brakes. I noticed that just inside of the lever there is a little screw with a alen wrench adjustment. The LBS had mine adusted all the way out (I have small hands and that was a heck of a reach out to get to them. With a few turns of that screw I have them adjusted much closer to the bar and easier for my little hands (-- insert you joke here) to reach them with two fingers.

I am looking forward to checking this out on my next ride! Just thought I would pass this along! Trying to post a picture here, but it looks like mtbr removed the attachment icon...

Go Speed Racer
    Here is the picture of me making the adjustment (with the 2mm alen wrench in the screw).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-deer-valley-20120222-00060.jpg  

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Those are little tricks of the trade we all learn in time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I dont know if this was discussed, but why wasnt the talon with 26inch wheels released in the US? The site only has it listed in australia.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Well i don't know of any Talon other than a 29er... Makes sense when you think about it. Do you know how many vehicles American Manufactures have over seas with different names we don't even know about? Tons!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    When I was last out on a ride, I noticed a Ski Chalet tent setup and they had bikes out there to demo. They were all Diamond Back's. I thought, hey those are Walmart bikes, right. Well I took one of their top of the line bikes out for a spin... It was a FS (I have never ridden a FS bike before). One thing I noticed that worked considerably better than my beloved Talon, was how much better the brakes felt. It had Shimano Deore XT hydrolics. I noticed that my hands get really tired on long downhill runs on my Talon. So that got me to thinking, I wonder if I can adjust these Giant Root brakes. I noticed that just inside of the lever there is a little screw with a alen wrench adjustment. The LBS had mine adusted all the way out (I have small hands and that was a heck of a reach out to get to them. With a few turns of that screw I have them adjusted much closer to the bar and easier for my little hands (-- insert you joke here) to reach them with two fingers.

I am looking forward to checking this out on my next ride! Just thought I would pass this along! Trying to post a picture here, but it looks like mtbr removed the attachment icon...
    THANK YOU!!! I have been riding this bike for 6 months and was almost to the point of looking for replacement levers to make it more comfortable.

It can use one finger now to use the brakes. Rep

Go Speed Racer
    Awesome! That is EXACTLY the situation I was in and figured I would share it here in hopes of it helping someone else! Sometimes it is just the little things

mtbr member
    There's a 26 inch version of the Talon, plenty of them on eBay but they're from overseas.

Dennis, all brake levers have some kind of reach adjustment, usually a small allen bolt on the lever.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    There's a 26 inch version of the Talon, plenty of them on eBay but they're from overseas.

Dennis, all brake levers have some kind of reach adjustment, usually a small allen bolt on the lever.
    Yeah, that is what I had figured, but on these it just was not as obvious as some of the others out there. I am looking to upgrade my fork next, I have noticed a lot of others have done the same, Usually when I search for the ones people have upgraded to here I can not find them any more.

Can someone provide a link to one in the 300-450 range that will fit a 2011 Talon 29er?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Can someone provide a link to one in the 300-450 range that will fit a 2011 Talon 29er?
    Try to find the Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti on Chainlove, seems to be favored by many on the 29er forum. I got a 44 TST 2, had some minor issues with it but for less than $300 can't complain much. After tweaking with the air preload and rebound is almost where I want it.

Another alternative is the Suntour Epicon, have seen on the 29er forum several discussions about it and could be on the higher end of your budget.

If you can change the front axle to 9mm you can find many Reba's at your price range but that will mean a front hub change or if you're lucky some kind of qr15 to qr9 adapter.

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast