Talon owners .....

Printable View

  • 02-08-2012
    Richard_
    Talon owners .....
    post up , likes and dislikes , would you recomend one to a friend or family member ? any issues ? pics would be nice too
  • 02-08-2012
    cigarlover
    I love mine !!!! Kills the trails with no problems :D

  • 02-08-2012
    MysticKJ


    I like my Talon and have recommended it to others. I've upgraded the trigger shifters, cassette, pedals, seatpost, and changed to a 1x9...I'm going to purchase a new set of tires and a new saddle shortly...
  • 02-09-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    I would recommend it to anyone on a budget.

    Dislikes: fork, crankset, saddle, headset, seatpost and bar/stem combination.

    Likes: feel, frame, wheels, brakes.

    Have changed many of the dislikes since I got it and is my favorite ride, the only item pending is the headset.



    Future changes: ust tires, tubeless conversion kit.
  • 02-11-2012
    PeterMJ
    Great landscape! Of course bike also
  • 02-11-2012
    redvtwin2
    I thought it was a great bike. With a fork swap a fantastic bike. Not the lightest, but very durable.
  • 02-11-2012
    LazyRid3r
    1 Attachment(s)
    2012 Fox Shock
    Crank Brothers Seat Post
    SLX Crank
    SLX Shifters
    Giant Flat Bar
    Lizard Skin Grips
    Lizard Skin Chain Guard
    Continental MK Tires
    SLX Cassette
    SLX Chain
    SLX Derailleur
    Salsa Seat Clamp
  • 02-16-2012
    MattC555
    Great bike, terrible fork. Once that was replaced(Marz Micro Ti), I was in heaven.
  • 02-16-2012
    LazyRid3r
    I am telling you it's an awesome 29er for the price.
  • 02-17-2012
    Richard_
    any short riders ? im 5'5" , I really like the look of these , my LBS only has a L , and i need to try a small and medium , i tried out a Scott Scale small , and it had a good fit for me , but the Talon seems to run different in sizing , how is the goemetry for shorter riders ?
  • 02-19-2012
    delvermedic
    1 Attachment(s)
    I love my Talon 2. Price was just right for me as a beginner and the black/white/red color combination just looks sharp. Ive seen alot of people here complain about the stock fork but I think I am to new a rider to know that it's not good. Ive upgraded the stock seat and switched to flat pedals from the stock beartrap type. Only thing that has broken in the 4 months I have had it is a chain link that was a 6 buck fix at my lbs.
  • 02-20-2012
    whooda
    I have a talon 2010 talon 1. The front shock was terrible but replaced that with a marz bomber 44 micro ti. I could have been happy with it if I had never ridden a nice fork.
    I broke the chain after about 200 miles. The rear derailur kept coming loose, some locktite fixed that.

    Seat post kept coming loose and finally damaged the grooves that prevent it from moving. I replaced that with an easton ea70 from the classifieds and now its perfect!

    Fork 225
    chain 15
    seat post 35

    Oh, and all the reflectors broke off.
  • 02-21-2012
    dirtbyte
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    post up , likes and dislikes , would you recomend one to a friend or family member ? any issues ? pics would be nice too

    I have had mine for 6 months now... I agree the fork is a little weak and I will probably end up upgrading it down the road. Replaced the stock pedals with Diety Decoy's and got some 5.10 Impact shoes (LOVE them). All the reflectors and dork disk "fell" off. Flipped the stem over to give it a more aggressive stance. Considering converting to tubeless using stans, but not sold on that idea yet.

    I ride it 2-3 times a week and it is holding up well. For the money (got it as a 2011 blowout when the 2012's were coming in) I would say it is a great bike, and I would recommend it for an entry - mid level rider.
  • 02-21-2012
    dirtbyte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    any short riders ? im 5'5" , I really like the look of these , my LBS only has a L , and i need to try a small and medium , i tried out a Scott Scale small , and it had a good fit for me , but the Talon seems to run different in sizing , how is the goemetry for shorter riders ?


    I am 5'6'' and I ride the small, and it fits me great. Been riding it 2-3 times a week for 6 months now.
  • 02-22-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Great shot there with the flag.
  • 02-22-2012
    dirtbyte
    When I was last out on a ride, I noticed a Ski Chalet tent setup and they had bikes out there to demo. They were all Diamond Back's. I thought, hey those are Walmart bikes, right. Well I took one of their top of the line bikes out for a spin... It was a FS (I have never ridden a FS bike before). One thing I noticed that worked considerably better than my beloved Talon, was how much better the brakes felt. It had Shimano Deore XT hydrolics. I noticed that my hands get really tired on long downhill runs on my Talon. So that got me to thinking, I wonder if I can adjust these Giant Root brakes. I noticed that just inside of the lever there is a little screw with a alen wrench adjustment. The LBS had mine adusted all the way out (I have small hands and that was a heck of a reach out to get to them. With a few turns of that screw I have them adjusted much closer to the bar and easier for my little hands (-- insert you joke here) to reach them with two fingers.

    I am looking forward to checking this out on my next ride! Just thought I would pass this along! Trying to post a picture here, but it looks like mtbr removed the attachment icon...
  • 02-22-2012
    dirtbyte
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is the picture of me making the adjustment (with the 2mm alen wrench in the screw).
  • 02-22-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Those are little tricks of the trade we all learn in time.
  • 02-22-2012
    -bert-
    I dont know if this was discussed, but why wasnt the talon with 26inch wheels released in the US? The site only has it listed in australia.
  • 02-22-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Well i don't know of any Talon other than a 29er... Makes sense when you think about it. Do you know how many vehicles American Manufactures have over seas with different names we don't even know about? Tons!
  • 02-22-2012
    whooda
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    When I was last out on a ride, I noticed a Ski Chalet tent setup and they had bikes out there to demo. They were all Diamond Back's. I thought, hey those are Walmart bikes, right. Well I took one of their top of the line bikes out for a spin... It was a FS (I have never ridden a FS bike before). One thing I noticed that worked considerably better than my beloved Talon, was how much better the brakes felt. It had Shimano Deore XT hydrolics. I noticed that my hands get really tired on long downhill runs on my Talon. So that got me to thinking, I wonder if I can adjust these Giant Root brakes. I noticed that just inside of the lever there is a little screw with a alen wrench adjustment. The LBS had mine adusted all the way out (I have small hands and that was a heck of a reach out to get to them. With a few turns of that screw I have them adjusted much closer to the bar and easier for my little hands (-- insert you joke here) to reach them with two fingers.

    I am looking forward to checking this out on my next ride! Just thought I would pass this along! Trying to post a picture here, but it looks like mtbr removed the attachment icon...

    THANK YOU!!! I have been riding this bike for 6 months and was almost to the point of looking for replacement levers to make it more comfortable.

    It can use one finger now to use the brakes. Rep
  • 02-23-2012
    dirtbyte
    Awesome! That is EXACTLY the situation I was in and figured I would share it here in hopes of it helping someone else! Sometimes it is just the little things :)
  • 02-23-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    There's a 26 inch version of the Talon, plenty of them on eBay but they're from overseas.

    Dennis, all brake levers have some kind of reach adjustment, usually a small allen bolt on the lever.
  • 02-23-2012
    dirtbyte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    There's a 26 inch version of the Talon, plenty of them on eBay but they're from overseas.

    Dennis, all brake levers have some kind of reach adjustment, usually a small allen bolt on the lever.

    Yeah, that is what I had figured, but on these it just was not as obvious as some of the others out there. I am looking to upgrade my fork next, I have noticed a lot of others have done the same, Usually when I search for the ones people have upgraded to here I can not find them any more.

    Can someone provide a link to one in the 300-450 range that will fit a 2011 Talon 29er?

    Thanks!
  • 02-23-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Can someone provide a link to one in the 300-450 range that will fit a 2011 Talon 29er?

    Try to find the Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti on Chainlove, seems to be favored by many on the 29er forum. I got a 44 TST 2, had some minor issues with it but for less than $300 can't complain much. After tweaking with the air preload and rebound is almost where I want it.

    Another alternative is the Suntour Epicon, have seen on the 29er forum several discussions about it and could be on the higher end of your budget.

    If you can change the front axle to 9mm you can find many Reba's at your price range but that will mean a front hub change or if you're lucky some kind of qr15 to qr9 adapter.
  • 02-23-2012
    dirtbyte
    Thanks for the help! I was trying to avoid the qr9mm adapter / hub switch out (really like the 15mm thru axle concept.

    Also, I am new to chain love, is it really just one item at a time, or can you browse for items?
  • 02-23-2012
    MattC555
    Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti is awesome, especially for the price that they were offered for. However, I think both chainlove and hucknroll are sold out.

    Chainlove is one item at a time, and is linked to hucknroll. They may have the same owners???
  • 02-23-2012
    dirtbyte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti is awesome, especially for the price that they were offered for. However, I think both and are sold out.

    is one item at a time, and is linked to . They may have the same owners???

    Thanks, I will see if I can hunt one down. This stock fork is driving me nuts.
  • 02-24-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Thanks, I will see if I can hunt one down. This stock fork is driving me nuts.

    Bikerbob has Fox Forks for reasonable prices. That's were I picked up mine.
  • 02-24-2012
    dirtbyte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    Bikerbob has Fox Forks for reasonable prices. That's were I picked up mine.

    Thanks, I only see one listed there now for $500. It is not really clear if it is 29er and also, it says it has a tapered tube, and I am assuming I need a non tapered version, is that correct?
  • 02-24-2012
    whooda
    correct. The talon 29er does not have a tapered head tube. the 2010 does not and the 2011 is the same frame.
  • 02-25-2012
    dirtbyte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by whooda View Post
    correct. The talon 29er does not have a tapered head tube. the 2010 does not and the 2011 is the same frame.

    Thanks for the confirmation (I have 2011). I am on the hunt for one that meets my specs, wish me luck!
  • 02-26-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    You could use the Cane Creek adapter and run a tapered fork.
  • 03-05-2012
    druethe
    Anyone know why the 2010 had lockout forks, but the 2012 does not?
  • 03-05-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by druethe View Post
    Anyone know why the 2010 had lockout forks, but the 2012 does not?

    Cost savings?
  • 03-05-2012
    druethe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Cost savings?

    Is that the only possibility? If so, that is kinda lame. Any other benefit of getting rid of lockout forks? Weight reduction maybe?
  • 03-05-2012
    dirtbyte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by druethe View Post
    Is that the only possibility? If so, that is kinda lame. Any other benefit of getting rid of lockout forks? Weight reduction maybe?

    I have the 2011 version (SR Suntour 100 with lockout) and I would trade it any day for the rock shox without lockout. My guess is that a lot of people complained about the suntour fork, so they "upgraded" to rock shox, but to keep the bike at the right price point (for the other components/etc on this bike) they had to go with a low end rock shox without lockout.

    Good move on their part IMO.

    Honestly, I think a fully rigid fork would be an upgrade from the one that came on the 2011.
  • 03-05-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by druethe View Post
    Is that the only possibility? If so, that is kinda lame. Any other benefit of getting rid of lockout forks? Weight reduction maybe?

    I would assume the issues with the weight were a factor as well.
  • 03-05-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I have the 2011 version (SR Suntour 100 with lockout) and I would trade it any day for the rock shox without lockout. My guess is that a lot of people complained about the suntour fork, so they "upgraded" to rock shox, but to keep the bike at the right price point (for the other components/etc on this bike) they had to go with a low end rock shox without lockout.

    Good move on their part IMO.

    Honestly, I think a fully rigid fork would be an upgrade from the one that came on the 2011.

    Part of the reason i made the swtich to the fox, is because that 2011 Suntour really just felt like a pogo stick all the time.
  • 03-05-2012
    Richard_
    is the lock out feature the big of a deal ?
  • 03-05-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    is the lock out feature the big of a deal ?

    It all depends my friend... It's like republicans and democrats it's a matter of taste.
  • 03-05-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    is the lock out feature the big of a deal ?

    In over 12 years of riding have never used the lockout feature on a fork or shock so for me is not a big deal or a deal breaker.
  • 03-05-2012
    whooda
    Just get a new fork. The marz 44 has a knob with different levels of dampener (all the way to full lock) and a valve to adjust it. I never fully lock it out, but before I hit a big drop I kick it up a notch or two and it becomes much stiffer so it does not bottom out on me.

    Get a new fork! You wont regret it.
  • 03-06-2012
    dirtbyte
    Cleaned up the 2011 Talon 29er 1 today and it looks like I am due for some new brake pads on the front disc (I will probably do front and rear). Any recommendations on replacement pads?

    Edit: Never mind, I just found this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/where-f...ds-720913.html
  • 03-07-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    Use Shimano Deore M515 pads or compatible.
  • 03-08-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Use Shimano Deore M515 pads or compatible.

    Agreed!
  • 03-14-2012
    bsakaki
    I test rode the Talon 2 in XL , and actually liked it better than the Cannondale Trail SL 4 (in large), Kona Kahuna (large), and Specialized Camber.

    My biggest gripe is the fork. Is the worth getting the Talon 1 or 0 or just getting the Talon 2 and upgrading the fork.

    I honestly didnt find the hydraulic disc brakes THAT amazing, and would prefer something lower maintenance at first.
  • 03-14-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bsakaki View Post
    I test rode the Talon 2 in XL , and actually liked it better than the Cannondale Trail SL 4 (in large), Kona Kahuna (large), and Specialized Camber.

    My biggest gripe is the fork. Is the worth getting the Talon 1 or 0 or just getting the Talon 2 and upgrading the fork.

    I honestly didnt find the hydraulic disc brakes THAT amazing, and would prefer something lower maintenance at first.

    The RS fork is a bit better, I would go with the 2, save some money and swap the fork with a Zocchi 44 Micro Ti, Fox or Suntour Epicon.

    The mechanicals aren't that great, that's another upgrade worthy part.
  • 03-16-2012
    LazyRid3r
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The RS fork is a bit better, I would go with the 2, save some money and swap the fork with a Zocchi 44 Micro Ti, Fox or Suntour Epicon.

    The mechanicals aren't that great, that's another upgrade worthy part.

    I don't know I am usually with Dirt, but I rather get the 1 or the 0... Remember your not only upgrading the fork but the rest of the bike. In addition, if I am not mistaken the Talon2 is a 8 speed. You get an extra gear with the others as the 1 and 0 are 9 speeds.
    Just my 0.02
  • 03-19-2012
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    I don't know I am usually with Dirt, but I rather get the 1 or the 0... Remember your not only upgrading the fork but the rest of the bike. In addition, if I am not mistaken the Talon2 is a 8 speed. You get an extra gear with the others as the 1 and 0 are 9 speeds.
    Just my 0.02

    His issue is with funds and that's the only reason why the 2 IMO is the best option. If he could pony up some extra dollars the 0 or 1 will be the choice for sure.

    Knowing how this usually ends up, he'll get the 2, upgradeditis will kick in and will end up spending a lot more. Upgradeditis is a disease that most of us have and is very hard to contain, it has no cure.