Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1291
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    so before the magical clutch rd era, i had used a blackspire bb chain tensioner on my talon to stop chain drops. i then got a shadow+ & ditched the tensioner to the parts bin. fast forward a year and now its back on the talon as a tensioner for ss use. no complaints other than it's a lil loud
    Those things work alright but how you deal with chain stretch? Keep adjusting the tensioner until it can't keep enough tension and then cut or replace the chain?

squish, squish in da fish
    yeah it doesn't need to move more than a fraction of an inch. i've been running it like that for a year now and several chains without a hitch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a 2012 Talon 1 29er and I need information on the bottom bracket can anyone help on sizing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I am thinking about ordering one of these
    Giant MTB Chainstay Protectors > Accessories > Bicycle Protection > Chainstay Protectors | Jenson USA
    Does anyone know which size fits the Talon better? The small or the large? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    CNCRob, I just took a failed inner tube, cut and wrapped it tightly. I took the idea from some mtb tips aussie in YouTube. Works great and was free...
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

mtbr member
    Don't spend on chain protectors, go ghetto.

Have used inner tubes and phone cords as chainstay protectors successfully; even hockey stick tape works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeiFei View Post
    I have a 2012 Talon 1 29er and I need information on the bottom bracket can anyone help on sizing?

I would like to know the answer as well. I am considering a Sram X5 Crankset with gxp bb 10 spd 2x10 36t 22t but I"m not sure the compatibility of the bb. Hope someone can help us out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikephotog View Post
    I would like to know the answer as well. I am considering a Sram X5 Crankset with gxp bb 10 spd 2x10 36t 22t but I"m not sure the compatibility of the bb. Hope someone can help us out.
    Have been using the Truvatic Stylo with Mega Exo BB with no problems for over 2 years.

Original bb pic of the 2011 Talon 1

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikephotog View Post
    Put me in line as well for information on my 2012 Talon2. At 800 miles / 120 hours - I am at the point where I need to replace the BB, chain and brakes. Forgive me for being ignorant but there are so many different things to look at. My drive train is still stock 3x8 but I would like to go to 2x8. What are my options with crank sets? Will something like this work if I change the chain? Speaking of which, what kind of chain would I need?
    BlueSkyCycling.com - KMC X8.93 Chain

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 2X10 Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket 10 Speed

Or would I be better off doing somethign like this?
    Shimano SLX M665 Double Chainset | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed Triple Chainset | Chain Reaction Cycles

I get mixed reviews on Elixer brakes, are the Shimano better? What about MOWA?
    BlueSkyCycling.com - MOWA MX1 MTB Hydraulic Disc Brake Set
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675-B IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

Again, thanks for any information. I just don't know what would work the best and I am trying to avoid going to the local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Don't believe that anything 10spd will work with your 8spd due to the size of the chain links.

You need a 8-9 speed chain.

Prolly your best bet is to remove the big ring and put on a bash guard unless you want to replace the crankset instead of just the bb.

Stay away from "cheap" Avid brakes, the SLX work really well, have a good price and are powerful. MOWA is unknown to me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob View Post
    I am thinking about ordering one of these
    Giant MTB Chainstay Protectors > Accessories > Bicycle Protection > Chainstay Protectors | Jenson USA
    Does anyone know which size fits the Talon better? The small or the large? Thanks
    Think you'll undoubtedly need the large size.

For reference, I have a 2012 Talon 0 29er. I use a Lizard Skins chainstay protector on my bike. First, I bought their Jumbo 29er protector, thinking that's surely what I'd need. Wrong... Too small to wrap completely around the chainstay. So, I exchanged it for the Super Jumbo model. Then, perfect fit!

Lizard Skins gives dimensions on their protectors, on their web site. That Giant-brand protector you're looking at doesn't have dimensions shown though. Guess all you can do is buy the large, and hope it works. It might not though. Get the Lizard Skins Super Jumbo, and be done with it (unless you must have the "Giant" logo).

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2012 Talon 2 SS

Turned to the dark side (single speed) and loving it. 32:16 gearing. The Talon is weighing in at 24.8 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm a little confused, I have been trying to read through most of the post on this thread and I noticed that most people on the older post said they upgraded their forks to better aftermarket ones. Then I was reading on some of the newer post people said that nicer forks are hard to find on the 27.5 Talons. Were the older post talking about 29ers? I have a Talon 27.5 5 on layaway right now and was wondering if I would be able to find a upgrade for the forks. I haven't rode it myself yet but after reading other post they describe the fork as feeling the same way as the fork on my Giant Revel feels. So I would like to eventually be able to upgrade it if I ever wanted to. Also would either of these forks work with the Talon 27.5?

Rockshox Reba RLT 27.5" Fork 2013 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA - Mobile

Rockshox XC30TK Forks - 27.5" - 2014 | Merlin Cycles

And would the Rockshox XC30TK Fork be a upgrade to the stock fork? or would it be about the same? Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob View Post
    I'm a little confused, I have been trying to read through most of the post on this thread and I noticed that most people on the older post said they upgraded their forks to better aftermarket ones. Then I was reading on some of the newer post people said that nicer forks are hard to find on the 27.5 Talons. Were the older post talking about 29ers? I have a Talon 27.5 5 on layaway right now and was wondering if I would be able to find a upgrade for the forks. I haven't rode it myself yet but after reading other post they describe the fork as feeling the same way as the fork on my Giant Revel feels. So I would like to eventually be able to upgrade it if I ever wanted to. Also would either of these forks work with the Talon 27.5?

Rockshox Reba RLT 27.5" Fork 2013 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA - Mobile

Rockshox XC30TK Forks - 27.5" - 2014 | Merlin Cycles

And would the Rockshox XC30TK Fork be a upgrade to the stock fork? or would it be about the same? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Mine's a 29er. I didn't have any trouble getting a Reba RL for mine, when I did. Just a few weeks ago, we were swapping posts where someone with a 27.5er was not seeing much available in the way of fork upgrades. Dunno if that's still the case now though. If so, likely won't be that way forever, either. Might have to wait around awhile and see.

I recall reading where someone mentioned that they think the XC 30 wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to warrant going for it. I remember suggesting it to someone at the time because it was basically all there was to choose from then. If you can find Reba RLT now, for a good price, and all spec criteria you desire, then I'd say go for it if it's what you want.

I've looked at potential/feasible fork options for Talon over the past couple of years or so to know this (with pretty high certainty): All things considered, Reba is likely the best you can do regarding upgrading your OEM Talon fork. That includes price, bang-for-buck, availability, cult following, ease of use, peace of mind, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good price on that Reba RLT at Jenson, by the way. Didn't see straight steer mentioned in the specs, but the picture shows that. I'd be very tempted by it, if I were you...

mtbr member
    I quite like the xc 30 that came with the bike. I really like the spring over the air suspension. (don't flame me lol) My only reason for changing it would be the fact that it weighs 5.5 pounds or something ridiculous. My talon 0 weighs 30lbs stock and has since become my backup beater so I'll just wait for a good score for something lighter if it arises.
    Last edited by chuckeieio; 07-24-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the replies dshoe70 and chuckeieio

Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Good price on that Reba RLT at Jenson, by the way. Didn't see straight steer mentioned in the specs, but the picture shows that. I'd be very tempted by it, if I were you...
    I was wondering about it being a straight steer also. I tried emailing them to find out but it bounced back undelivered.

mtbr member
    Not sure if this was asked before but the talon 2 29er has a 44mm headtube right?

squish, squish in da fish
    ^yes

mtbr member
    Thanks buddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rise000 View Post
    Here's my little hybrid

Giant Talon 0 - custom, 2013, XL

Frame: Giant Aluxx
    Fork: Giant Seek Rigid Aluxx
    Brakes: Shimano M395
    Cassette: Shimano Deore HG62
    Chain: KMC X-10L
    Saddle: Vertu Spider
    Wheels: Shimano WH-MT15 wheelset
    Tires: Specialized Fast Trak 29x2.0
    Inner tubes: Schwalbe SV19
    Handlebar: Ritchey Pro Wet Black
    Stem: Ritchey Pro Wet Black
    Seat post: Syncros AM
    Crank: Race Face Narrow Wide 36T on Shimano T551
    Derailleur: Shimano ZEE
    Shifter: Shimano ZEE
    Grips: Ergon GS2
    Pedals: DMR V12 Magnesium

I was very much pleased with 29er Talon 1 so I decide to try his "little" brother 27.5 1 LTD

It's stock for now except Fizik Tundra saddle, VP pedals, wider flat bar and Ergon Carbon grips.

Next will be 1x10 and maybe some Fulcrum wheels...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Which one would you choose and why?

Full comparison 0 LTD vs. 0 vs. 1 LTD:
    http://oi61.tinypic.com/ml57gl.jpg

Thanks a lot!!!
    Last edited by Qwerta; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:01 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerta View Post
    Which one would you choose and why?

Full comparison 0 LTD vs. 0 vs. 1 LTD:
    http://oi61.tinypic.com/ml57gl.jpg

Thanks a lot!!!
    Probably the Zero, based on overall blend of components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by R0lan View Post
    Thanks to Dirt Devil for send me the information of Colon Bycicle, yesterday I purchase this awsome bike, Giant Talon 1 27.5 2014 model. Right now I still looking to purchase some good pedals and a roof rack for my 2013 Nissan Versa Sedan.

purchased this bike about a month ago. first trail i ride the tightening strap on the pedal rips off, so i converted them to flat pedals. im left with this pedal of death that chews into my shins or calves if i make one mistake.

Talon owners .....-670574.jpg

i mentioned i wanted to put wellgo MG1's on the bike and he claimed that it would be even worse on my legs than what i have now due to those little screw pins that are on the edge.

also yesterday i got my first flat, a pinch flat on the back tire due to running over objects instead of jumping over them. i was on the street and wanted to go to the sidewalk so i jumped the front wheel onto the sidewalk and the back tire just died. i dont blame the bike but... a sidewalk? cmon..

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast