Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 2581
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Talon owners .....

My talon 29er has vigilante 2.3 tires on i23 rims. Any time the rim flexes even a little bit, you hear it rub. If I didn't just buy a new stumpjumper I would swap out the rear tire for a 2.25...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalbones_01 View Post
    I'm also thinking of using 2.2" or 2.35" but i am a bit worry that I might not fit specially in rear.
    You have a 27.5, don't you?

No problem at all with 2.3" WTB Vigilantes on 25mm internal rims on my 2015 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    took my Talon out for a 17 mile scoot Sunday, which reminded me how bad I hated the stock grips and missed my bull horn bar ends. stopped at the bike shop and scored a set of ODI Lock Ons and some new bull horns. Mo happier now

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This was the first year in a long time that I reluctantly went to a wider bar and retired my bar ends. It still feels a bit strange but I'm getting used to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
    You have a 27.5, don't you?

No problem at all with 2.3" WTB Vigilantes on 25mm internal rims on my 2015 27.5.
    Talon owners .....-img_3543.jpg

My Talon is 27.5 also using stock rims. Im not sure about measurement of its internal rims. WTB vigilantes is one of my choice but Im still worried if it will fit on my stock rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrown View Post
    This was the first year in a long time that I reluctantly went to a wider bar and retired my bar ends. It still feels a bit strange but I'm getting used to it.
    I tried to do without them, but my hands hurt too much so I am happy they are back on. They look funny, but I dont care at all.

mtbr member
    My Talon is 27.5 also using stock rims. Im not sure about measurement of its internal rims. WTB vigilantes is one of my choice but Im still worried if it will fit on my stock rims.
    I think the stock rims are 19mm internal (could be 17mm for the CR70 - I'm not sure) - Vigilantes worked fine on the 19mm S-XC2 rims for me.

Ardent 2.25 (left) vs Vigilante 2.3 (right) on Giant 19mm S-XC2 rims:

Not a great picture, but just to prove they work:

I get the impression that there is better tyre clearance on the 27.5 Talon than the 29er, but I haven't seen them side by side to compare.

I'm on my second set of WTB Vigilantes, btw - great tyres for damp conditions IMHO.

squish, squish in da fish
    2012 talon with 39 id rims 2.3 dhrII. normally they're on my N9, but that's getting new parts(crash)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3543.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	1101100

I am running with Maxxis High Roller II 2.30 in the front and
    Ardent 2.25 for the rear

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    2016 Talon 2 27.5
    Stock rims, I'm running 2.20 Ardent Race front and back no issues.
    Better handling than the stock Ikons for my part of the world
    Last edited by Luc-514; 10-29-2016 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member

Change of tire to 2.25 done. There is still enough space in both side and I think using 2.30 will not be a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hello , which bottom bracket did you go with?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcahuna View Post
    Hello , which bottom bracket did you go with?
    I changed the cheapo octalink BB with a Raceface X-type Turbine BB. Race Face Turbine X-Type Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Threaded | Jenson USA

It was a good weight savings, but you do need new cranks.

mtbr member
    Has anyone been able to mount up the stock Maxxis Crossmarks and stock rims tubeless with gorilla tape? I tried without sealant and could not even come close to getting the bead set with soapy water. Did not have removable valve cores or an air compressor but curious if anyone else was able to get it done before I pick up sealant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was able to mount and ride stock rims with a maxxis ardent front and ikon rear with gorilla tape. It did require a compressor but the lbs did that for me. I've replaced the wheels now and have to say that the gorilla tape looked like it was starting to come loose from the sealant. I've switched to the stans tape on my new wheels and am happy with it.

mtbr member
    Some tires are looser than others and require a few extra "go arounds" on the rim with tape to build up the inner dip so the tire bead makes contact with it for initial bump of compressed air to get a hold of to push the bead out to the seats.
    Removing the valve core and using a full bore or drilled out air sprayer into it helps as well.
    GTA
    Ontario

squish, squish in da fish
    split tube ghetto tubeless imo is where it's at. all tires i've mounted, seated with a floor pump on various rims.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByBAItDM3Ws

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    cranked a quick 20 miles in today on a dirt road, city to city ride. Really like the Fatty bar ends I installed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I just dont see why anybody would wanna go tubeless? Seems like a good way to complicate a very simple thing.

mtbr member
    Complicate? It makes life easier. 9 times out of 10 the set-up is easy as pie. Add sealant every 2-3 months and forget the rest.
    Run the correct pressure for the trail you're on instead of whatever pressure is high enough so you don't pinch flat all the time and keep riding instead of changing tubes due to thorns, nails, etc and reap the weight benefits.

Just last night I changed to my winter tires and found 4 thorns in my summer rubber which would have been at LEAST 4 stoppages on the trail not including all the thorns and bits that made holes and never got stuck in the tire.
    Here's 2 together
    Talon owners .....-20161201_105144.jpg
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbed06 View Post
    I just dont see why anybody would wanna go tubeless? Seems like a good way to complicate a very simple thing.
    I've always maintained that if you don't think its a good idea, you should not do it. There is no reason to argue about it it. You do what you want, I'll do what I want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Yep, there are always pros and cons of everything we choose.

Has anybody gone on any good rides lately? Post up some pics! Im goin stir crazy. This southern man is gonna have to get used to this cold northern weather and get after it again. I have only been riding about once every 7-10 days and its just not enuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have a 2016 Talon 3 27.5 inch, I am liking the WTB Vigilantes that some of you are running in the 2.3 size.

I found the WTB Vigilante Comps is this what you all are running? They seem to be the cheapest Vigilante and are the ones I am considering and weigh about 1000 Grams in 27.5 x 2.3 size.

mtbr member
    Headset talk: this looks like the one in my Talon...the bearings and cups seem to be one piece? Are these serviceable or throw-aways?

Talon owners .....-1310-no11q8-901-zoom.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
    Headset talk: this looks like the one in my Talon...the bearings and cups seem to be one piece? Are these serviceable or throw-aways?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1310-no11q8-901 zoom.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	1109233
    That is the correct set for, non-servicable though.

Giant Talon, Talon 29er, Talon 27.5, XtC Headset, NO11Q8-901

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have a 2016 Talon 3 27.5 inch, I am liking the WTB Vigilantes that some of you are running in the 2.3 size.

I found the WTB Vigilante Comps is this what you all are running? They seem to be the cheapest Vigilante and are the ones I am considering and weigh about 1000 Grams in 27.5 x 2.3 size.
    Any feedback on the 2.3 Vigilante COMP tire please.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadictus View Post

You can try (thru your Giant dealer) to get the headset for the old non tapered XTC, fits like a glove and uses sealed bearings than can be serviced or replaced without throwing away the rest or find a new zero stack headset that fits a 44mm id non tapered head tube, FSA and Cane Creek make them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadictus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    You can try (thru your Giant dealer) to get the headset for the old non tapered XTC, fits like a glove and uses sealed bearings than can be serviced or replaced without throwing away the rest or find a new zero stack headset that fits a 44mm id non tapered head tube, FSA and Cane Creek make them.
    Thanks, that is what I thought. I will probably replace with a different headset with serviceable bearings when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Finally got around to snapping a couple bikes of my Talon. I have spent the last year upgrading everything but the wheels. Upgrades are:
    -Manitou Marvel Comp
    -Sram XO 9 speed shifters
    -Sram X7 derailers
    -Race Face crankset
    -Crank Brother seatpost
    -Forte Pro SL Ti seat
    -Avid DB3 Brakes
    -Cane Creek Headset
    -Funn Bars
    -Giant Connect 70mm stem
    -Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires
    -ODI lock on grips (short)

Weight=28.2lbs
    with new wheels I'm sure I could get it down around 26-26.5lbs

Talon owners .....-bike.jpgTalon owners .....-bike2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post

first post here, I bought a talon 1 for a beater and decided it was to good for that so I bought another, a 2014 Talon 4 (seriously miles)for my beater now as you say I have upgradeitius, sorry if this a repeat, Can you remove the cone washer on the headset to lower the stem ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If you do, everything in the headset will be exposed to the elements. The cone washer is the top seal for the headset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    thanks for info

mtbr member
    You can flip the stem over, if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    took some video riding my talon at oil well flats in canon city, co.

https://youtu.be/3Iv1fweAAqg

Your Best Friend
    I clicked to watch that because I like Oil Well Flats. Then I saw your video was 18+ minutes. Holy hell.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    edited down from over an hour of footage. haha

most of the video is descending fracture down to the parking lot. i probably should have made two different videos.

i dont mind watching longer videos.

mtbr member

Merry Christmas every one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    too soon for another video? nahh, i didn't think so. its only half as long as the last one this time!

lake pueblo trails pueblo, co
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxDgjhS0mzk

mtbr member
    Current shot of the 29er with the new Recon and pedals. Ending the year with about 500 miles ridden, not bad for 6 months.

Talon owners .....-img_2632.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I should have went with an XL 29er instead of a L 27.5 incher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    S Mountain, Salida, CO

flowy stuff!
    https://youtu.be/FcOV85-rldo

mtbr member
    Been neglecting the hardtail this winter due to a new fat bike so I took it out yesterday.
    Talon owners .....-img_2677.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Winter project

I have something thats bothering me on my bike , like to see what is and if its something i might be able fix , make it a small witer project. when I stop pedaling then start again theres a slip feeling untill it catches again and starts to pedal bike again. Sorry if the description not good, Anybody be able to help me out? Thanks for any help. Its a 2015 Talon 27.5 2

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigguy View Post
    I have something thats bothering me on my bike , like to see what is and if its something i might be able fix , make it a small witer project. when I stop pedaling then start again theres a slip feeling untill it catches again and starts to pedal bike again. Sorry if the description not good, Anybody be able to help me out? Thanks for any help. Its a 2015 Talon 27.5 2
    Is this a slip feeling as in a soft tension feeling that you get some rotation with a little pressure then it tightens up and starts to work, or is this a slip feeling like there's some play and then it sharply catches and goes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Is this a slip feeling as in a soft tension feeling that you get some rotation with a little pressure then it tightens up and starts to work, or is this a slip feeling like there's some play and then it sharply catches and goes?
    When I start pedaling for a split second it feels like there's no tension at all, then it tightens up and starts to pedal the bike, it's just a slight hesitation before it catches and starts to power the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I am no expert here, I would suspect the driver needs lubed?? Maybe someone here can confirm how to disassemble and clean/lube the freewheel/driver assy in the rear wheel.

cowbell
    I am no expert here, I would suspect the driver needs lubed?? Maybe someone here can confirm how to disassemble and clean/lube the freewheel/driver assy in the rear wheel.
    That's your best case scenario. You'll need a chain whip and a cassette tool to pull stuff down. Probably already a much better youtube video somewhere than I could EVER top trying to explain it. Something else to consider is that it's just the crappy engagement of the stock wheels. If you're running stock wheels, it might be a good time to think about upgrading to something tubeless ready, lighter, and with more engagement points. Getting a brand new good set of wheels on a bike a couple years old that's had not-so-great wheels on it is almost like getting a new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi. I have Talon 1 (2016), I think to change my front fork. But I don't know if my head frame is "tapered ready" or only straight 1 1/8?

Tapatalk...pszemoo

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigguy View Post
    When I start pedaling for a split second it feels like there's no tension at all, then it tightens up and starts to pedal the bike, it's just a slight hesitation before it catches and starts to power the bike.
    I think that the back hub is broken. You can try to clean it but I think it's a sign to chenge them for a new hub.

Tapatalk...pszemoo

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pszemoo View Post
    I think that the back hub is broken. You can try to clean it but I think it's a sign to chenge them for a new hub.

Tapatalk...pszemoo
    any suggestions on a decent budget friendly hub, and can I keep the rims that came on the bike when I bought it?