Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

I shaved 2.2 lbs off of my T2 just swapping the fork out to a Recon Gold. Can't believe I waited as long as I did. The difference in feel is incredible. I think once I get a new wheel set I'm going to just enjoy it for a couple years. I'm hoping to get it under 30 lbs and closer to 26 or 27...its sitting at 30.8 right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought my first MTB, the Talon 0, last fall. At 210 lbs., it took me about 3 rides to figure out the fork wasn't cutting it. Saw a NIB Reba with shock pump at BlueSky for $360......what a difference. I paid $900 out the door my '12 Talon, so for $1260 total, I'm pretty happy with the bike. Glad I bought it then because I've haven't seen them nowhere near that price now.

mtbr member

Best looking cheap bike there ever was.......

I was a roadie for about 5 minutes. I swapped a LeMond Tourmalet for a nearly new 09 Talon 29er. I'd had my eye on the Talon frame for a while. The 17 inch had great lines and I really liked the way the top tube tapered down to nothing at the seat tube. You don't normally get shaping like that at entry level. So, over the next six months or so I stepped up the wheels, and all the other parts and planned to race it in the Chequamegon 40 as a 1x9. Best laid plans though - the organizers jacked the entry to >$100 and I figured I'd bow out this year - mostly on principle. Anyway, I have a nice hardtail now that I am most enamored with - Iceman here I come - see attached.
    Talon owners .....-dscn1979.jpg
    No conventional wisdom, just current wisdom. Reinvented knowledge that is seldom relevant as the variable landscape is vast.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I shaved 2.2 lbs off of my T2 just swapping the fork out to a Recon Gold. Can't believe I waited as long as I did. The difference in feel is incredible. I think once I get a new wheel set I'm going to just enjoy it for a couple years. I'm hoping to get it under 30 lbs and closer to 26 or 27...its sitting at 30.8 right now.
    Forgot to include a pic:

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i got a 2012 talon 0 29er also love the frame wheels and brakes hate the fork went tubeless in front tire but kept the tube in rear rides better also im 6'4" 300 lbs+

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I love my T2 with s passion. Its great value meets quick and nimble awesomeness. The fork is where you shave the first couple of pounds. Traded my suntour xct with a Manitou Tower Pro. So plush and forgiving when landing my heavyarse down hills. At 6'3" 280 I can relate to the heavier set weekend warriors. Its amazing the thin and lightweight frame is superman strong enough for aggressive riding. Giant rider for life. Oh going tubeless is a must. Pays for itself after a couple of flats and smoothes out the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just ordered a 2013 Talon 1. Cant wait for it to show up (hopefully this weekend). Anyone have any issues with this one yet? I'm sure the fork will be changed quickly, possibly brakes.

Thanks
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My 0

Talon owners .....-talon.jpg

Went for it's first real trail today on it's new wheels(Arch EX/White Industries hubs/PG 990 cassette), tires(Captain Control), X9 groupset, stem(RF Turbine) and bars(Answer Pro Taper).........getting pretty light and along with the Reba fork I got last fall, rides really nice.

mtbr member
    I signed up for this forum a while ago but I've not posted. I have a 2012 specialized hard rock 29er right now that I have as an electric commuter. Lately I've really been getting the itch for some mountain biking though. I'm deciding between the talon 0, spec rockhopper and the trek mamba. I'm like 95% talon though. Basically waiting on a test ride to know for sure. My Giant dealer is really cool though. He's about the only regular lbs that will work on my ebike. The others are pretty rude about it. They also do lifetime adjustments which is really nice. I know most mtbers have negative thoughts on ebikes, but it has worked well for me to commute back and forth to work on, and has saved me a ton of $ over the F150 I was driving.

Anyway. Probably getting the talon in early May. I can't wait!! I've enjoyed reading through this entire thread. I probably won't upgrade too much right away but probably the pedals, seat & tubeless. Might do the ghetto tubeless but my lbs only wants $60 to do it so I might have them do it.

Anyway. Glad to be a part of such a great group.

Jason

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonf150 View Post
    I signed up for this forum a while ago but I've not posted. I have a 2012 specialized hard rock 29er right now that I have as an electric commuter. Lately I've really been getting the itch for some mountain biking though. I'm deciding between the talon 0, spec rockhopper and the trek mamba. I'm like 95% talon though. Basically waiting on a test ride to know for sure. My Giant dealer is really cool though. He's about the only regular lbs that will work on my ebike. The others are pretty rude about it. They also do lifetime adjustments which is really nice. I know most mtbers have negative thoughts on ebikes, but it has worked well for me to commute back and forth to work on, and has saved me a ton of $ over the F150 I was driving.

Anyway. Probably getting the talon in early May. I can't wait!! I've enjoyed reading through this entire thread. I probably won't upgrade too much right away but probably the pedals, seat & tubeless. Might do the ghetto tubeless but my lbs only wants $60 to do it so I might have them do it.

Anyway. Glad to be a part of such a great group.

Jason
    I think you will be really happy with the Talon. I have always had Specialized. With that being said I rode several new bikes, including the Rockhopper. The Talon just felt better to me. Actually dissapointed me as I had my mind set on a rockhopper! Today I get to go pick up my new Talon that I ordered.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xmks View Post
    With that being said I rode several new bikes, including the Rockhopper.
    Ya the RH and the Talon are really the only bikes on my list. I threw in the Trek so I'd have a list of 3. I'll still ride it to test, along with a Novara from REI. There are also some little things, like the cost of the tubeless. I called the Specialized dealer, which is a lot farther away than Giant, and he said he couldn't convert the RH rims to tubeless. Also, I called REI and they wanted like $120 to convert the Ponderosa. And with the lifetime adjustments and how nice the guys are about adjusting my ebike, I really want to give them my biz.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    From your 3 options the Talon has the most bang for your buck plus the lifetime adjustments, no brainer IMO.

Any rim can be converted with strips or ghetto.

mtbr member
    The 2013 Talon 0 comes with the Rock Shox XC30 fork. Is that a pretty good improvement over the 2012 0's Rock Shox XC28 and the SR's and Suntour's from some other models? Or are they pretty similar?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It will be stiffer due to the increase in diameter, but will likely perform the same as far as damping is concerned. If you're over 180 lbs., you may look to replace it sooner rather than later, which is the case for all forks at this price point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Talon owners, I'm about to buy a Talon 1 but it's last years model (2012 Edition). Is $710 a good price? I love the feel of this bike, might just have to upgrade the fork eventually from what I read on the reviews.

squish, squish in da fish
    i have a '12 T1 & paid $869 before tax so yeah I'd take it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    i have a '12 T1 & paid $869 before tax so yeah I'd take it.
    That's what i initially thought. I really want to get this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sounds like a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dualbiker View Post
    Hey Talon owners, I'm about to buy a Talon 1 but it's last years model (2012 Edition). Is $710 a good price? I love the feel of this bike, might just have to upgrade the fork eventually from what I read on the reviews.
    Go for it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just picked up and rode my new 13' Talon 1 29er! Great bike, love everything about it except the front fork. Other than that I love the bike! Such a huge improvement (to me) over my 07 Rockhopper. Pics coming soon.

WillWorkForTrail
    Check out the suntour loyalty upgrade program. You can pick up a nice fork from Suntour to replace that lower end one with for next to nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Question for you talon owners. I'm looking at getting the 2013 talon 0 pretty soon. Comes with a RockShox XC30 fork. Doesn't seem to be considered a great fork. I'm wondering, would this fork: ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork 100mm White Shocks NEW: 350166 Random Bike Parts be compatible with the Talon? Seems like a pretty good price, for a decent fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Check out the suntour loyalty upgrade program. You can pick up a nice fork from Suntour to replace that lower end one with for next to nothing.
    Define "next to nothing?"

My suntour on my 2012 Talon 1 is clanging a little and seems less effective. It skips up and down leaving horizontal lines at regular intervals on the uprights.

Would LOVE a new fork but cant do $200+ for one.

LOVE this bike (and I have tried many other out there) but REALLY need something done with the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Question for you talon owners. I'm looking at getting the 2013 talon 0 pretty soon. Comes with a RockShox XC30 fork. Doesn't seem to be considered a great fork. I'm wondering, would this fork: ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork 100mm White Shocks NEW: 350166 Random Bike Parts be compatible with the Talon? Seems like a pretty good price, for a decent fork.
    You should check out the X-fusion Slide 29. It is comparable to the recon gold and can be found for ~250. I bought mine from a reputable dealer on e-bay for that much. I really like mine a lot. Very plush and well constructed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's a good looking shock. More along the spec lines I was looking for. Really want away from coil spring set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    Define "next to nothing?" (
    They have air forks on the $200 range on their loyalty program, check it out if you want to stay with Suntour.

Ebay will be your best bet on a tight budget, look for Zocchi TST2, RS Reba or XFusion Slide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New question here.

- 2012 Giant Talon 1 -

So, I have developed a slight "tick" when my right pedal is straight forward. LBS thought it was a pedal issue. Tried alternate pedals, but the sound is still there. Its a thumping tick sound audible from someone riding along side of me. Doesn't happen every revolution, but is consistent as to where in the rotation it happens. Seems more frequent when putting more pressure on the outside of the pedals. My thoughts, bottom bracket.

What am I looking for to replace this? I know its a sealed cart, so its a replacement job. What specs am I looking for and what is decent (not junk, but not $75)? Saw the Shimano Ultegra 6700 Bottom Bracket for like 25 on amazon. This work?

Anyone want to help me figure this out?

Who took my gears?
    - 2012 Giant Talon 1 -

So, I have developed a slight "tick" when my right pedal is straight forward. LBS thought it was a pedal issue. Tried alternate pedals, but the sound is still there. Its a thumping tick sound audible from someone riding along side of me. Doesn't happen every revolution, but is consistent as to where in the rotation it happens. Seems more frequent when putting more pressure on the outside of the pedals. My thoughts, bottom bracket.

What am I looking for to replace this? I know its a sealed cart, so its a replacement job. What specs am I looking for and what is decent (not junk, but not $75)? Saw the Shimano Ultegra 6700 Bottom Bracket for like 25 on amazon. This work?

Anyone want to help me figure this out?
    I have a 2011 Talon and I had a similar issue. It was the bottom bracket. I just picked up a set of the SLX cranks (last years model on sale) but that may be a bit out of your price range. Nice side effect of my change - I shaved off a POUND of my rig.

'12 T1 here & had same issue. LBS torqued the BB more & it went away. it almost felt like the frame was creaking. I even lubed the seat post thinking that was it as it was dry. Like mtbdennis said, slx cranks baby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So, I'm new to this, but can I not just replace the sealed cart bottom bracket? Im not really looking to upgrade or anything at this point. I would LOVE to shave weight, and get better components, but not for $200 just for cranks and BB (which is what slx cranks look like they cost).

If the prob is in the BB why replace the cranks? Can you not just get another BB?

Who took my gears?
    So, I'm new to this, but can I not just replace the sealed cart bottom bracket? Im not really looking to upgrade or anything at this point. I would LOVE to shave weight, and get better components, but not for $200 just for cranks and BB (which is what slx cranks look like they cost).

If the prob is in the BB why replace the cranks? Can you not just get another BB?
    Understood... Yes you can replace just the bottom bracket. I shopped around and ended up getting them for around $120 on sale.

dealwagon, PM me if u want mine. U just pay s&h, im assuming u have a square taper?

Try adjusting the BB cups, if still sounds just replace the BB, not an expensive fix unless you replace the entire crankset as many of us have done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Finally was able to snap a couple pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought my 2013 Giant Talon 29er just this Feberury. Been riding around my house and on a couple of local trails. Nothing crazy. Today, I was riding before I had work, climed a steep hill with a couple of dips. Made it to the top of the hill, decided to turn back since, it was getting too late. Came back down the same way, this time with more speed, obviously. Had to turn in a little corner, and had to hit this dip. Right when I was hit the dip with a little jump, I saw 3 ladies coming up the hill. I hit the break, but since THE FREAKING TIRES WERE SO THIN, I started sliding. There was no grip, had to let go of the bike to the left or hit one of the older ladies. I let the bike go, it hit the wooden post, not exactly sure how it hit it, since I fell off and started sliding. I got back up, the hikers were sympathetic, and helped me up. Nothing major, just a couple of scratch and bruises on the arm. Bike is however totaled. Frame is bent in a bit. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that my LBS can help me work this out with Giant. Be careful with those wheels that come on the bike..it can do a lot of damage.

Your Best Friend

Sorry to hear that. Let me say a couple things though. You're obviously upset but it is no ones fault but your own. Not your tires for sure. Your LBS may be sympathetic but it for sure isn't a warranty issue. You should look into their crash replacement frames. They are significantly discounted for Giant customers.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

WillWorkForTrail
    Yeah, I'll follow this up a little. The small block 8's that come on a Talon (or at least that's what came on my wife's talon) aren't really a problem, at least not on trails around here. Be aware that for this bit that follows, I'm ready to accept that you're going to be angry at me, but I've said this same thing to people's faces and dealt with them being angry, it didn't make me wrong then, and it's not going to make me wrong now.

You need to learn some trail etiquette. That's the root of the problem. Bravo that you didn't kill some old lady. But I guarantee they're telling all their friends how dangerous these people who ride bikes on trails are. The simple fact is you were riding too fast. Your inability to control (stop) your bike is the proof of that. You should never be out of control on trails. Never. You're lucky your bike is all that got messed up.

And before you insist it's the tires - if they're that bad, surely you'd noticed before? Why haven't you replaced them? I'll repeat this - you were out of control. Please, ride within your ability to control the bike before you hurt yourself or someone else, and possibly do all the mountain bikers in your area the dis-service of getting bikes banned from trails because "they're dangerous."

mtbr member
    All versions of the 2013 Giant Talon come with the same tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 29x2.1

They started with CrossMark then changed to Small Block and now the Rapid Rob, as you should know all tires behave different and are meant for certain types of terrain and ridding style. For example, the CrossMarks suck on mud, snow or anything wet but excel on dry hardpack so don't blame your tires for what happened, could have been lack of grip, poor braking technique, poor bike handling, excess speed or a combination of many factors.

Sorry to read that your bike paid the price but consider yourself lucky, hurting one of those old ladies could have been much much worse (think liability and lawsuit).

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

I bought this fork and love it. You can get the Raidon through the Suntour upgrade program for $175 or the Epicon for $250... But you would need to convert to 15mm ta for the Epicon.
    The Raidon is a nice fork at a great price point, but if you want to spend a few extra bucks on the Recon, you'll shave off a couple of pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Has anyone bought anything from the "Random Bike Parts" mentioned above? That's a great price on the Recon, but I'm leery of unknown websites. Thanks.
    Jeff
    '12 Giant Talon 2
    '13 Giant Trance X1 29er

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Picked up my 2012 Talon 0 in Sept '12 for $800 at my lbs, rode it till the cold was unbearable then I found this forum and have been learning so much about my new ride. I'm 5'10" and 225lbs and have put about 260kms on it already. I have to agree that the first thing any owner of the Talon line should upgrade is the fork. I just ordered the Reba RL dual air 100mm at price point for $319 and can't wait to get them on ASAP.
    I've also:
    pulled the big ring & put a bash guard
    Changed the pedals for Crank Bros Candy3s
    Switched the Kenda Small Block 8s for Maxxis Ignitors (the 8s were terrible in any wet situation)

I love this bike but my reference point is an older diamondback odyssey with bed spring shocks.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    I hit the break, but since THE FREAKING TIRES WERE SO THIN, I started sliding. There was no grip, had to let go of the bike to the left or hit one of the older ladies.
    That really sucks what happened to you and I'm glad you're ok. My lbs told me about the Kenda's characteristics before I bought it and offered to swap them out. I declined so he told me that because I'm a bigger guy (225lbs) I should consider a chunkier tire when the weather gets worse. One week later (3 trail trips) I was back at the shop looking at tires. Cotharyus' post is one that every new or seasoned rider should read

too many changes since july

'12 talon 1

charge spoon saddle
    RF ride post
    nukeproof warhead 50mm stem
    " " 740mm bar
    yeti grips
    elixir XO brakes (warrantied from elixir 1's) still suck arse
    oh don't forget the bell, niece & nephew got me
    tower pro 120/x-firm spring w/ MILO
    velocity blunt up front/blunt sl out back, both wrapped in bonty 29-4 2010 model (mike c laced)
    am classic 20mm front hub
    pro2 evo rear hub
    1x10 zee der and shifter
    slx 11-36 cassette & slx crank 36t, ordered 32t RF ring
    hope chainguide
    hope f20 pedals
    MRP LRP bash/tensioner w/ blackspire roller

whew! love this bike so much now. there isn't much in my area i can't climb. think however its time for me to hang this frame up as i just ordered an N9. this frame has very good geo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-dscn3082.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dscn3083.jpg  

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013

Shimano SLX 665

I'm still learning about all of the parts on my 2012 Talon 0 but as far as bottom brackets go, what am I looking for when upgrading to the Shimano SLX? Price point has the Shimano SLX M665 2x9 Crankset for $175 with discounts and I was wondering what the difference is between the 170mm & 175mm. Yes, I know know 5mm lol - but which one fits for the Talon best?
    Also, if any one knows how the M665 set is. I could hold out and get the M675 if the difference is worth it

the 5mm diff is in arm length. i'd go w/ 175 as its a bit more leverage. the 665 is best bang for your buck/weight savings. supposedly stronger than the "better" xt group. you'll shave close to a pound off your bike with the slx. if you install crankset, put one shim on the drive side and chainline will be golden. $175 is a good deal as i paid like $225

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    the 5mm diff is in arm length. i'd go w/ 175 as its a bit more leverage. the 665 is best bang for your buck/weight savings. supposedly stronger than the "better" xt group. you'll shave close to a pound off your bike with the slx. if you install crankset, put one shim on the drive side and chainline will be golden. $175 is a good deal as i paid like $225
    Thanks for the quick response & install tips, hope to have everything in the next couple weeks

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    oh don't forget the bell, niece & nephew got me
    Great looking bike fishwrinkle!
    The bell is hilarious! Your niece & nephew are so thoughtful!

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    So happy to see someone with the Reba's on their Talon 0! Looks great! I was a little unsure of how they would look as I just ordered them yesterday, but seeing it now - I'm happy. I think I might get the shift & brake lines replaced with white to go along with the fork

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan13 View Post
    I'm still learning about all of the parts on my 2012 Talon 0 but as far as bottom brackets go, what am I looking for when upgrading to the Shimano SLX? Price point has the Shimano SLX M665 2x9 Crankset for $175 with discounts and I was wondering what the difference is between the 170mm & 175mm. Yes, I know know 5mm lol - but which one fits for the Talon best?
    Also, if any one knows how the M665 set is. I could hold out and get the M675 if the difference is worth it
    The 5mm difference is in the crank arm lenght, if you ride a small frame the 170mm should be fine, 175mm will be too long and may hit stuff on the down stroke. If you ride a M or L 175 is the correct length. 180mm is for tall people or with very long legs.

So happy to see someone with the Reba's on their Talon 0! Looks great! I was a little unsure of how they would look as I just ordered them yesterday, but seeing it now - I'm happy. I think I might get the shift & brake lines replaced with white to go along with the fork
    A few of us ride the dual air Reba, it was a pain to dial in but once you get it is great.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    A few of us ride the dual air Reba, it was a pain to dial in but once you get it is great.
    That was the driving force behind getting the Reba, all of the positive reviews on the forum. The XC28 did not work for me and my 225lbs (w/o gear)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick question. I see most of the SLX cranksets are a 10 speed design. My 2011 1 has a 9 speed arrangement. Are the two compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    Quick question. I see most of the SLX cranksets are a 10 speed design. My 2011 1 has a 9 speed arrangement. Are the two compatible?
    No, the chain, ring and cassette width is different.

Who took my gears?
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M665 Crankset w/ Bash Guard 8/9 Speed

$139 for the 2x9 version Sale ends today (I think they usually extend the sale however)...

Ebay - 22-32-44 175mm

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M665 Crankset w/ Bash Guard 8/9 Speed

$139 for the 2x9 version Sale ends today (I think they usually extend the sale however)...
    Thx MTBDennis for the heads up! just ordered the set, you just saved me a nice chunk of change that I can use on my upgradeitis habit. Hmmm, Stan's NoTubes??

not entirely true dirt devil. chain and cassette are def different in width, but i measured a 9 and 10 speed ring and they are the same size exactly. i purchased a 8/9 speed dual ring slx crankset and run 1x10 no problems. so a crankset can be run in any speed config except 11. so heypal99 you can use that crank, mtbdennis is showing the same crank i am using.

Who took my gears?
    Thx MTBDennis for the heads up! just ordered the set, you just saved me a nice chunk of change that I can use on my upgradeitis habit. Hmmm, Stan's NoTubes??
    Cool! Glad I could help. As for the STAN'S conversion, I say to for it! I sure am glad I did...

not entirely true dirt devil. chain and cassette are def different in width, but i measured a 9 and 10 speed ring and they are the same size exactly. i purchased a 8/9 speed dual ring slx crankset and run 1x10 no problems. so a crankset can be run in any speed config except 11. so heypal99 you can use that crank, mtbdennis is showing the same crank i am using.
    Not to get into an argument but is my understanding that the internal diameter of a 10spd chain is smaller than a 9sp so the teeth of a 10sp ring are thinner than a 8-9sp ring; I might be wrong but that's what I found out when deciding which SLX crankset to buy because the 9spd SLX cranksets were hard to find and plenty of 10spd were available.

If it works, go for it.

Not to get into an argument but is my understanding that the internal diameter of a 10spd chain is smaller than a 9sp so the teeth of a 10sp ring are thinner than a 8-9sp ring; I might be wrong but that's what I found out when deciding which SLX crankset to buy because the 9spd SLX cranksets were hard to find and plenty of 10spd were available.

If it works, go for it.
    i too am not trying to argue, but this is what i found. my sram 10 spd rings and my shimano 9 spd rings both measure 1.5mm. the inner dim of a 10 speed chain is 2mm and a 7/8/9 spd chain inner dim is 2.25mm. the 10 spd cog is 1.25 and a 8 spd cog is 1.5. so knowing this you can have a multitude of combos & knowing is half the battle, lol. read this it sheds a tad of light Changing from 8spd to 10spd
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 04-16-2013 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Has anyone thought about putting 27.5 wheels on their bike?

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Question for those of you that replaced their fork with the Reba RL: how much of the steerer tube did you have to cut when installing or did you have to cut it at all?

Question for those of you that replaced their fork with the Reba RL: how much of the steerer tube did you have to cut when installing or did you have to cut it at all?
    This pic was taken after removing the OE fork on a medium Talon and yes, you may have to cut the steerer tube.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfrider View Post
    Has anyone thought about putting 27.5 wheels on their bike?
    Nope. I think it is a bad idea. The frame / geometry was designed around a 29 inch wheel. I would think that any advantages of doing this would be greatly outweighed by having the geometry all messed up. But I have considered putting the 20 wheels from my daughters old walmart bike on it, you know for a lower center of gravity (and easy single speed conversion).

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    This pic was taken after removing the OE fork on a medium Talon and yes, you may have to cut the steerer tube.
    Thanks for the info DiRt DeViL, doing my own upgrades is exciting, but nerve wracking when you go in uninformed. I was thinking of using a hacksaw but now that I look at it I'm going to pick up a pipe cutter ASAP

mtbr member
    I'm planning on getting a 2013 Talon 0 in the next few weeks. Would this be an improvement over the stock drivetrain? I'm pretty sure they are, but I'm not sure where all the levels are.

FD: Shimano SLX FD-M671
    RD: Shimano SLX rear derailleur RD-M670
    Shifters: Shimano SLX SL-M670 shifters 3X10

STOCK PARTS ARE:
    FD: Shimano Deore LX
    RD: SRAM X7
    Shifters: SRAM X5

I'm planning on getting a 2013 Talon 0 in the next few weeks. Would this be an improvement over the stock drivetrain? I'm pretty sure they are, but I'm not sure where all the levels are.

STOCK PARTS ARE:
    yes they are a better improvement. do u want to stay with a 3x10, have u ever thought of going 1x10? reason i ask is i went from 3x8 to 1x8 and now am at 1x10 and love it. you can ditch top end & granny rings, FD & shifter. a zee RD and zee shifter would be all you need ($140 total). zee RD has shadow plus (new clutch tech) so no need really for a chain guide unless your bombing down some serious rockgardens. just a thought

Thanks for the info DiRt DeViL, doing my own upgrades is exciting, but nerve wracking when you go in uninformed. I was thinking of using a hacksaw but now that I look at it I'm going to pick up a pipe cutter ASAP
    If you have a guide the hacksaw will work but the pipe cutter is a lot simpler and quicker, remember to file the edges.

STOCK PARTS ARE:
    That's an upgrade but not a great improvement IMO but let me tell you that the X5 and X7 stuff is as good. My older Talon is all X5 and after 2 years of use and abuse still shifts as crisp as the day it was purchased.

mtbr member
    That's an upgrade but not a great improvement IMO...
    Then maybe I should put that $ towards a Rock Shox Recon Gold Tk instead. The person is asking $185 total for those 3 things.

Anyone ever buy from there? Is that fork a direct replacement?

Then maybe I should put that $ towards a Rock Shox Recon Gold Tk instead. The person is asking $185 total for those 3 things.

Anyone ever buy from there? Is that fork a direct replacement?
    That fork will work, all you need is a straight 1 1/8" steerer, 100mm of travel and the axle compatible with your hub. Have you checked eBay or any others for forks? Don't have any experience with that vendor.

Could be wrong but this is what I came up with

Sram XO, XX - Shimano XTR
    Sram X9 - Shimano XT
    Sram X7 - Shimano SLX
    Sram X5 - Shimano Deore
    Sram X4 and below - Shimano Alivio and below

mtbr member
    Have you checked eBay or any others for forks?
    Not really.

Once I get the bike, start riding it, and realize the fork isn't working, THEN I'll start looking for a fork more seriously. I just thought that was a great deal for the SLX stuff and thought it was more of an upgrade.

Not really.

Once I get the bike, start riding it, and realize the fork isn't working, THEN I'll start looking for a fork more seriously. I just thought that was a great deal for the SLX stuff and thought it was more of an upgrade.
    From following this thread you should already know the weaknesses of the bike, change the worse components (fork) first and then upgrade as stuff wears down or breaks.

mtbr member
    true.

mtbr member
    I just bought a set of takeoff Sun Inferno25 29er Wheels with Salsa 3 hubs. Unfortunately the seller kept the skewers. Will any QR skewers work? I know they need to be the right size, but do I need to by Salsa skewers? I know on the 2013 Talon 0 the fork (Rock Shox XC30) is 9mmQR, but I wasn't able to find the size for the rear. Is it the same?

I just bought a set of takeoff Sun Inferno25 29er Wheels with Salsa 3 hubs. Unfortunately the seller kept the skewers. Will any QR skewers work? I know they need to be the right size, but do I need to by Salsa skewers? I know on the 2013 Talon 0 the fork (Rock Shox XC30) is 9mmQR, but I wasn't able to find the size for the rear. Is it the same?
    135mm rear, Salsa or any brand quick release skewers should work; the Salsa skewers work really well and last a long time plus come in colors.

mtbr member
    So I just need a set of 135mmx9mm QR skewers?

So I just need a set of 135mmx9mm QR skewers?
    135mm rear, 100mm front, any Salsa kit will work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I recently upgraded the fork to the Marzoochi Corsa Sl. I could tell immediately it was a worth while upgrade. I didn't realize how bad the stock fork was until yesterday when I was on a fast rocky downhill. The old fork would have had too much chatter for the speed, but the Corsa soaked it up. It was an absolute pleasure. I can't believe I waited this long.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    I'm getting ready to put my new SLX crank on this weekend, will I need a special tool to get the bottom bracket off? If so, what is the tool called or model #?
    I have a 2012 Talon 0 with the Howitzer crank

you'll need 2 bb tools. one for external cups (slx) and one for internal. park tool has a very helpful website Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog you will need a bbt-9 for hollowtech II and if your howitzer crank has 20 internal splines then you'll need bbt-22

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Next sunday Ill start to post pic of my giant talon 0 2013 small and my girl friends new talon 0 2012. Next item on the list is some rubber and forks

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

135mm rear, 100mm front, any Salsa kit will work.
    I had no idea skewers were so expensive... Wtf?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I had no idea skewers were so expensive... Wtf?
    I called my lbs and they have a basic set for $20. The Salsa ones are expensive.

I called my lbs and they have a basic set for $20. The Salsa ones are expensive.
    They cost a bit more depending on the material, they make CroMo, stainless steel and titanium. Most inexpensive skewers are made of steel and rust with time.

Salsa makes great, long lasting products and in shiny colors .

Now that I mentioned shiny colored parts, does anyone know how many teeth on the X5 pulleys? Want to put some blue ones with ceramic bearings on mine but I'm too lazy to count, 11 or 12?

you can get a set of cheap skewers for $17 from halo. just bought a set for my guest bike im building up. dirt devil i do believe 11, but i too am lazy, lol. i knew at one time, sorry.
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 04-22-2013 at 02:53 PM.

DD, yup, 11 toofs on the x5 jockey wheel

Thanks guys

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    I was just checking the "Must Haves on the trail" and I noticed that a lot of people say that an extra Derailleur Hanger is a must. Does anyone know where to get one that is usable on my 2012 talon0. My lbs is really pricey so I'd like to see if I can get one online

I was just checking the "Must Haves on the trail" and I noticed that a lot of people say that an extra Derailleur Hanger is a must. Does anyone know where to get one that is usable on my 2012 talon0. My lbs is really pricey so I'd like to see if I can get one online
    Your Giant dealer or here.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013

Dérailleur hanger

Your Giant dealer or here.
    Thanks DD
    the hanger is this one: Derailleur Hanger #21
    DH021 for anyone else who's looking to grab one

mtbr member
    May 2012

Stems?

Has anybody experimented with stem length on our trusty Talons?

Thanks DD
    the hanger is this one: Derailleur Hanger #21
    Glad you found it, buy 2, one to take along on rides and leave one at home.

Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    Has anybody experimented with stem length on our trusty Talons?
    Not a lot with length but more with raise, 90mm does the job for us but 15 degrees is too much raise IMO.

Rep points for referring to the Talon as trusty, which it is.

i run a 50mm stem & long bars (740mm) & love it.

mtbr member
    Does this go for all Talon models and years?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i run a 50mm stem & long bars (740mm) & love it.
    Fish,

How did the change effect the handling of the bike?

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 121