Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Actually DiRt DeViL, the 2012 Talon 2 comes with a Suntour XCT with a QR9.

So, Hosway would have to upgrade his front hub to use a QR15 through axle fork.

Link to specs: Talon 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Actually DiRt DeViL, the 2012 Talon 2 comes with a Suntour XCT with a QR9.
    The forks that he's looking at are QR9 so he's good plus he could add a Reba to the list.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So today I installed a new Marz TST2 fork on my 2011 Talon 1. WOW, it totally transformed my bike! A fork upgrade should be first on the mod list for any Talon owner. The ride is so much improved.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I upgraded to a Reba RLT with poplock last week. The difference is awesome, and I can really feel the dropped weight. The white fork matches so much better and fits the bike much nicer. This was my first high end fork so I don't have much to compare it to, but I plan on keeping it longer than the bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joes Rocket View Post
    I upgraded to a Reba RLT with poplock last week. The difference is awesome, and I can really feel the dropped weight. The white fork matches so much better and fits the bike much nicer. This was my first high end fork so I don't have much to compare it to, but I plan on keeping it longer than the bike!
    Do you have the 2012 Talon? Just picked one up last week for my first real bike purchase and keeping tabs on potential upgrades to make in the future.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mine's a 2011, however the same fork would fit. It's a great upgrade though.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Has anybody tried running a 2.4 wide tire in the front? I'm going to replace my Crossmarks with Maxxis Ardents. I plan on running 2.25 in the rear, but am wondering if the wheels will mount a Ardent 2.4 in front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I do not believe 2011 and 2012 talon wheelsets are identical. You should verify what hub is your wheel and find a fork corresponding to it. I also have a 2012 Talon 2 which I was planning to get a fork for. The whole time I was looking for it I never realized habit was a 9 mm qr. While doing my homework I found out that investing into a different front wheel that had a 15 thruaxle would benefit me more. I'm currently saving up huts a little more to get a Hightower pro invest into a external handle lock out switch and changing my wheels into tableless. Should signifantly improve my bike. Possibly drop so money into some hydro brakes as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua75W View Post
    I bought a Giant Talon 1 this week, and took it riding yesterday. I cut my time in half with this bike. I love it. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and do a little "more"
    Also have the 2012 talon 1. Great bilke besides the dam brake squeal "Avid Rotors " will post pics when i hit ten posts

JOSHUA : Do you have any brake squeal ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Props for the name translation :-) and yeah they squeal a little. Not enough to bother me. I'll adjust accordingly when it starts to get insane.

mtbr member
    Mine only squeal when the pads get wet or muddy.

Go Speed Racer
    Just ordered a new "RockShox Reba RLT - Dual Air 100mm 29" Maxle Lite 15 Motion Control Damper" from amazon.com for $389.19 (List price is $612). I can not wait to get it on the bike!

I am comfortable cutting the new fork to size, any recommendations on installing the star nut? Should I buy the tool to do it, or just take it to a bike shop and have then install it (the star nut installation is the only part of the installation that I am nervous about).

Amazon.com: RockShox Reba RLT - Dual Air 100mm 29" Maxle Lite 15 Motion Control Damper: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    The tool is a great addition to your tool box but hardly sees any use, I install it with the bolt screwed in quarter to half way and hammer it into position.

Congrats on the new fork, btw.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just bought a new star nut, and put a screw in the nut, then hammered it down. It was a pain to get started, but it wasn't too bad. I would try it yourself before paying someone. You'll love the new fork, that was a good deal on Amazon. The best I found was getting an RLT with poploc on an ebay auction for $420. I swear I'll take pics one day and post them up...

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joes Rocket View Post
    I just bought a new star nut, and put a screw in the nut, then hammered it down. It was a pain to get started, but it wasn't too bad. I would try it yourself before paying someone. You'll love the new fork, that was a good deal on Amazon. The best I found was getting an RLT with poploc on an ebay auction for $420. I swear I'll take pics one day and post them up...
    Thanks guys, I think I will try the hammer way first, even if I screw up, star nuts are cheap and not like I can screw up the fork. Can't wait to get it on the bike!!!! I will post before / during and after pics when I am done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Didnt realize there was a Talon thread. I just passed 60mi with my 2012 talon 0. Ive had the bike a week and am finally enjoying the riding after getting things setup to me. I havent hit any trails yet just hardpack and the local canal tow path. Been 16yrs since ive been on a bike figured i should take my time : )

Apparently i need 9 more posts....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
    Didnt realize there was a Talon thread. I just passed 60mi with my 2012 talon 0. Ive had the bike a week and am finally enjoying the riding after getting things setup to me. I havent hit any trails yet just hardpack and the local canal tow path. Been 16yrs since ive been on a bike figured i should take my time : )

Apparently i need 9 more posts....
    How do you like the talon 0

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Well, I bought Maxxis Ardents. 2.4 for the front and 2.25 for the rear. I also converted the rims to tubeless. I removed the stock rim strip, used 1" Gorilla Tape wrapped once, 2 scoops of Stan's, and Stan's tubeless Presta valves. I needed a compressor to bead the tires, and they are holding pressure nicely.

I can't wait to try the new combo out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-tubeless.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by r1enthusiast View Post
    How do you like the talon 0
    So far for the 60mi i like it alot, there are some small things i want to change, pedals, bars, and grips are the top 3.

I have small block 8s on it and they seem to do what i need of them so far, and plus is they are a go to tire for some of the local trails too

only thing i need to do is go tubeless after i get some more time on it.

MattC--what is the covering on the RS lower frame piece? Also why a wider tire in the front and not the same in the rear? Rolling resistance or steering grip?

mtbr member
    Matt, keep us up to date on your tubeless conversion. I'm waiting on the Crossmarks to die so we can convert the wheels to tubeless and put some Ignitors on it which seem to be one of the preferred tires for the rooty and rocky Adirondack trails.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    scatterbrains,

I am using hockey tape as a chain stay protector. I'm guessing that's what you're referring to? I stops the chain from slapping in to the chain stay. Hockey tape is free for me, light, and durable. I think it looks cool too.

The wider tire in front is for a couple of reasons:

I prefer to have more front end grip, so that the rear tire slips first.
    I don't think a 2.4 wide tire would fit comfortably in the rear. It would be very close to the chain stays, would probably contact the front derailleur, and collect mud.
    The trials in my area can get pretty rough, so I decided to get as much volume in the front to help suck up the bumps.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Matt, keep us up to date on your tubeless conversion. I'm waiting on the Crossmarks to die so we can convert the wheels to tubeless and put some Ignitors on it which seem to be one of the preferred tires for the rooty and rocky Adirondack trails.
    Ditto. I too am waiting for the Crossmarks to die. The rear sidewalls are pretty worn, so I am getting close. Current plan is to replace them with Geax Saguaro's (foldable) and go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Matt thought that was what the "covering" was for.

mtbr member
    Hockey tape works well and stuff like an inner tube wrapped in electrical tape, a phone cord held by zip ties, etc; many creative was to protect your stays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    so is there a reason other than cosmetic to protect them?

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast