Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Talon owners .....

684K views 3K replies 373 participants last post by  Shinscrape 
#1 ·
post up , likes and dislikes , would you recomend one to a friend or family member ? any issues ? pics would be nice too

#43 ·
Just get a new fork. The marz 44 has a knob with different levels of dampener (all the way to full lock) and a valve to adjust it. I never fully lock it out, but before I hit a big drop I kick it up a notch or two and it becomes much stiffer so it does not bottom out on me.

Get a new fork! You wont regret it.

#47 ·
I test rode the Talon 2 in XL , and actually liked it better than the Cannondale Trail SL 4 (in large), Kona Kahuna (large), and Specialized Camber.

My biggest gripe is the fork. Is the worth getting the Talon 1 or 0 or just getting the Talon 2 and upgrading the fork.

I honestly didnt find the hydraulic disc brakes THAT amazing, and would prefer something lower maintenance at first.

#48 ·
I test rode the Talon 2 in XL , and actually liked it better than the Cannondale Trail SL 4 (in large), Kona Kahuna (large), and Specialized Camber.

My biggest gripe is the fork. Is the worth getting the Talon 1 or 0 or just getting the Talon 2 and upgrading the fork.

I honestly didnt find the hydraulic disc brakes THAT amazing, and would prefer something lower maintenance at first.
The RS fork is a bit better, I would go with the 2, save some money and swap the fork with a Zocchi 44 Micro Ti, Fox or Suntour Epicon.

The mechanicals aren't that great, that's another upgrade worthy part.

#52 ·
I'm an MTB Noob and I have no idea whatsoever on how to know which fork configuration to get. As far as the fitment. Steerer, taper, axle, etc. I just bought the 2012 Talon 2 and I know the first thing I want to do is replace the fork with a lockout at as cheap a price as possible. Preferably a RockShox. If anyone could tell me what to look for or model number I would appreciate it.

#57 ·
I'm also looking to get the fox fork for my 2011 Talon 1 29er. Kind of confused which model/size to get so it will fit, please suggest. Thanks!

#58 ·
I just got mine a few weeks ago. I've been using it as my commuter bike, and have already put about 200 miles on it. At the moment the fork has not bothered me that much, but ride with it locked out most of the time right now. I have slicks on order, and should have them installed by the end of the week.

This bike beats my last ride a late 80's / early 90's GT 26er.

#63 ·
Looks like I am stuck with the stock fork on my 2011 Talon 1 for awhile due to $$$ constraints. It is starting to squeak a bit and I am not able to find any information online about how to maintain it (I do most if not all the maintenance on my bike).

Has anyone taken this thing apart? It is the SR Suntour Raidon LTD.

Any advice on what maintenance I can do to get another year or so out of it would be greatly appreciated.

#73 ·
Need more pics of this bike please. What did you upgrade from? Any short comings on the 1 so far?

How well does the fork lock out?

I have one ordered but havent ridden it. None on Oahu. I have ridden the talon 2 and love it but wanted the few upgrades on the talon 1.

#84 ·
I rented a 2012 Talon 0 the other day. I thought it was awesome. First time ever on a 29er so I don't have much to
Compare it to... I just know that it climbed waaaaay better than my 26" revel, handled better in the turns and just seemed more stable and fast.
Two things I didn't like we're I kept hitting the shifter with my thumb knuckle and changing gears... This happened like 10 times in one ride and has never happened to me before. Also, my pedals kept hitting the ground, do there was some sort of clearance issue. Otherwise I absolutely loved the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.