Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    mtbdennis,

Looking at your pictures, it appears that you could remove your headset spacers and flip the stem. You could then shorten the steerer, and get rid of the headset spacers. Just some food for thought
    Yeah, I actually flipped the stem to where it is now to lower the bars. I have left it like it is because I plan on upgrading the headset / stem in the future and I am afraid of making the steerer tube too short (some headsets stick up a little higher than mine - and not sure if the height on a new stem will be any different).

But thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    mtbdennis,

Looking at your pictures, it appears that you could remove your headset spacers and flip the stem. You could then shorten the steerer, and get rid of the headset spacers. Just some food for thought
    I actually run mine exactly like that..more aggressive stance..

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Was able to trade my 4 y/o Reign X for a month old Talon, after some tweaks rode it during the weekend.

The "nicer" one used to be my ride, now is my son's. Soon 2 piece cranks will replace the boat anchors it come with and eventually a fork.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    ... Soon 2 piece cranks will replace the boat anchors it come with and eventually a fork.
    Nice! Keep me posted on what cranks you get... That is my next planned upgrade and I am not sure what to get (BB size / type / etc). I am currently running mine 2x9 because the only thing my big ring was getting used for was a bash gaurd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Nice! Keep me posted on what cranks you get
    My son's bike has Shimano SLX and they work flawlessly, mine will get the almost new Truvativ Stylo's that are currently in use on my NRS. The NRS will be downgraded to the Talon cranks as soon as I can get the correct size bb.

I am not sure what to get (BB size / type / etc). I am currently running mine 2x9 because the only thing my big ring was getting used for was a bash gaurd!
    You can get a good deal on a 2 ring (w bash) SLX set, they're strong and light. The Talon bb shell is 73mm, any 2 piece crankset should fit.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    DiRt DeViL,

Could you weight the crankset after you remove it? I'd like to know the weight savings. Thanks!

Who took my gears?
    DiRt DeViL,

Could you weight the crankset after you remove it? I'd like to know the weight savings. Thanks!

Found this thread: Weight of shimano M442 crank?

"820 grams with the mounting bolts. 1110 grams with the BB-ES25. "

So lit looks like we could shave off around a full pound!!!! Yikes!

Who took my gears?
    You can get a good deal on a 2 ring (w bash) SLX set, they're strong and light. The Talon bb shell is 73mm, any 2 piece crankset should fit.
    Thanks! I will start looking around for a deal...

The worst offender in the crankset is the bb and is not a ES25.

I'll be swapping cranksets after I get the correct bb to fit the M442's on the NRS, any of you know the spindle lenght of the Talon OEM bb?

Matt, you'll be saving about a pound.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Yeah the BB weight is what I'm after. The stock cranks are stiff and smooth, but that BB sounds like it weighs a ton.

The stock cranks are stiff and smooth
    I felt with the first one and feel with the current one that there's some flex at the bb shell. After replacing the crankset with the SLX the flexy feeling went away, prolly is the plastic adapter on the left side of the bb that gives a little under torque.

Just ordered a new bb with metal cups so I can quickly replace the OEM cranks and bb.

To my surprise the bb on the second Talon was Shimano and not as heavy as the one that came on the first one.

The Stylo cranks with the GXP bb feel great on the backyard test, after today's ride will give more feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Here are some upgrades since I last posted.
    Tubeless Ardents
    Elixir 9 with JagWire HyFlow 180M Rotor Front 160M Rear
    Tower Pro 120MM
    Ergon GS1 White Grips
    and PXC-2 Front Wheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-20120814_171343.jpg  

Talon owners .....-20120814_171611.jpg  

Talon owners .....-20120814_171631.jpg  

Talon owners .....-20120814_171737.jpg  

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Lookin good Hosway. Is there any reason you went with the UST version of the Ardent? What did you do to go tubeless? And how the heck are you still rockin those pedals???

The UN26 bb weights 308 grams

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah went tubeless. Couldn't do ghetto so I installed the rim strips. Huge difference .

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Any recommendations on pedals? Still somewhat new to this so dont want to spend a crap load. Im learning and spending as I go lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    Any recommendations on pedals?
    Clipless or platforms?

That's another item that is more of a personal thing. For clipless I prefer the Crank Bros eggbeaters or candy's, for platforms any with adjustable spikes will do as long as you use good grippy shoes like the 5.10's or Teva but in theory any quality skate shoe will do.

Time, Shimano and Wellgo make quality pedals, I just don't like the SPD (Shimano) system. The Time Attac is a great pedal but a bit hard to get used to specially on the dismounts.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    For flats I use Wellego MG-1 pedals and FiveTen Freerider shoes.

For clipless I use Shimano SPD M520 pedals and Specialized MTB Comp shoes.

Both work really well and are fairly inexpensive setups. The difference between skate shoes and FiveTens was staggering for me.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Thanks for the BB weight Dirt Devil.

The difference between skate shoes and FiveTens was staggering for me.
    That's why most of the flat pedal riders wear 5.10's, the grip is amazing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here is my baby.
    This is a 2012 Talon 2. Bought it in July, but it has been heavily upgraded, in fact I just got it back from my LBS yesterday.

Upgrades
    Fork :-RockShox Reba RL
    Crankset/Bottom Bracket :SRAM X-7
    Front Derailleur :SRAM X-7
    Rear Derailleur :SRAM X-7
    Rear Cassette :SRAM PowerGlide 990
    Front & Rear Shifter : SRAM X-9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-side-view-resized.jpg  

Talon owners .....-rear-view-resized.jpg  

Talon owners .....-shifters-resized.jpg  

Talon owners .....-fork-resized.jpg  

Last edited by armahke; 08-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Who took my gears?
    That's why most of the flat pedal riders wear 5.10's, the grip is amazing.
    Yep, I run Diety Decoy Pedals, and 5.10 Impact (low) shoes. Love them and will probably never run clipless again... I agree it is a personal preference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Talon 2

Here is a pic of my Talon 2 I picked up back in June for less than $500 on craigslist, I added the Reba RL after a month of suffering with the suntour, recenty went clipless as well and love it so far. Riding with upside down stock stem and EA70 easton bars, great bike, next upgrades will be seat/post,stem, brakes, wheelset, crank. . .most likely in that order
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-photo-12-.jpg  

Seems that the Reba is the fork to get now, how good is it?

Who took my gears?
    Seems that the Reba is the fork to get now, how good is it?
    10-12 rides on mine now, and I LOVE it (Reba RLT). However, the only thing I have to compare it to is the piece of junk boat anchor SR Suntour that came on my 2011 Talon. It is extremely adjustable, and I had mine dialed in to my liking after about 3 rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's my first decent fork, so I can't compare it to anything. But it makes the bike a lot more fun to ride now

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have to say its not bad level entry bike

i had one these bikes for years then upgraded to xtc

things i noticed the shock mostly was weak on it and wheels weigh a ton compared to xtc

but apart from that its not a bad bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Same as Shawnk....I have been riding suntours ever since I bought my first suspended fork mountain bike so it is hard for me to compare with other higher end forks. Previous bike was an 07 rincon. Man that thing was a tank. I transferred the stock talon drive train to the rincon when I upgrade the talon. Now use the rincon for the daily commute or i lend it to friends who drop by to go riding (maybe I will upgrade the fork from the stock suntour to a rockshox recon gold). The talon is solely for trail riding. One things for sure, there is way less bobbing on the Reba than the suntours and yet somehow it manages to soak up the bumps.

Just sold my NRS and pulled the trigger on the Reba, can't wait to get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Congrats on your purchase, I haven't had any issues with mine and I don't baby it, I love taking jumps and drops, i run mine at around +120psi and about 20-30 psi less in the negative. This fork compliments the frame so well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Whats your reasoning for running lower in the negative? What's it do to change the feel? I'm not a suspension tuning expert, but I always read/heard to run equal pressures between the two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Running less in the neg stiffens the fork. The more neg pressure you have the more small bump compliance with the fork. I ran it equal when I first installed it and it was a little too soft.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Reba 9 mm qr are fairly priced. I just preferred to use a 15 mm or 20 mm qr and unfortunately the 2012 weren't designed so. I ended up buying a spare wheel from an anthem at my lbs. Worked out ok for now and I was able to use the fork I wanted.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    Reba 9 mm qr are fairly priced. I just preferred to use a 15 mm or 20 mm qr and unfortunately the 2012 weren't designed so. I ended up buying a spare wheel from an anthem at my lbs. Worked out ok for now and I was able to use the fork I wanted.
    To my surprise the bb on the second Talon was Shimano and not as heavy as the one that came on the first one.

The Stylo cranks with the GXP bb feel great on the backyard test, after today's ride will give more feedback.
    DiRt DeViL - Do you know if the stock cranks are 170 or 175 mm?

DiRt DeViL - Do you know if the stock cranks are 170 or 175 mm?
    My Large came with 175's, don't remember what the Medium had.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 08-24-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Who took my gears?
    My Large came with 175's, don't remember what the Medium had.
    Thanks, I have the small. How were you able to determine it? Is it stamped on it, or do I need to get a measuring tool?

Thanks, I have the small. How were you able to determine it? Is it stamped on it, or do I need to get a measuring tool?
    Is stamped on the inside of the crank arms near the pedal thread along with the model number and the brand.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just installed some Hayes Stroker Trail brakes on the 2011 Talon and they are MUCH better. I used them with Alligator Wind Cutters with the blue anodized center. They look much nicer too! I will post some pics up later. I picked up a Sette Rez white seat to continue the white theme. I have only rode the brakes up and down the street but the modulation and power compared to the giant roots are two different leagues. Best upgrade (next to my Reba RLT) for the bike, but also cheap! I got them for $140 on price point.

Got the Reba installed yesterday and haven't tried it yet. Any setup pointers?

Who took my gears?
    Got the Reba installed yesterday and haven't tried it yet. Any setup pointers?
    I think it is largely personal preference and based on rider weight... I weigh 145 and Am running 90+ 80- and no lockout. Have not messed much with the rebound. Getting a little too much bob climbing, but really that bad. Downhill It rocks setup like this. Most of what I have read is people run the negative chamber around 10psi lower than upper. Works for me.

Congrats on the upgrade! I am still waiting on a steal of a deal for some slx cranks, and then it will probably be on to the wheel set. Yes I too have a bad case of upgradeitis.

That's close to what I did, following the table I was supposed to use 135psi on both chambers but decided to go a bit lower on the negative.

Set the rebound to be as fast as I like it and tweaked a bit with the Motion Control to make it more responsive, will have to wait to the weekend to test it and adjust some more.

I am still waiting on a steal of a deal for some slx cranks, and then it will probably be on to the wheel set. Yes I too have a bad case of upgradeitis.
    I see, can't go wrong with any of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    New member to MTBR and mountain biking. Just purchased my Talon 1 this past Saturday and so far really liking the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
    New member to MTBR and mountain biking. Just purchased my Talon 1 this past Saturday and so far really liking the bike.
    Beware, there's an outbreak of the upgradeditis virus here; consider yourself warned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hahaha, so true. I just ordered a charge spoon saddle, race face +\- 6 stem and odi rogue grips....the bike begs for upgrades......and I just give in :/

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    wondering about rotor size, i got the talon 1 as well and the brake noise is horrendous. I decided to upgrade to windcutters but I see that people go bigger in the front. What is the pro's con's to this.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnk386 View Post
    Hahaha, so true. I just ordered a charge spoon saddle, race face +\- 6 stem and odi rogue grips....the bike begs for upgrades......and I just give in :/
    Great now I want that seat! Been looking for a nice white one to continue the white theme on the bike and that looks perfect, and affordable!

Quote Originally Posted by r1enthusiast View Post
    wondering about rotor size, i got the talon 1 as well and the brake noise is horrendous. I decided to upgrade to windcutters but I see that people go bigger in the front. What is the pro's con's to this.
    Prolly your pads are contaminated, ours are very quiet.

A bigger rotor improves stopping power, tried a 180mm on mine but didn't noticed a great improvement. Prolly better breaks will be better than increasing the rotor size.

Great now I want that seat! Been looking for a nice white one to continue the white theme on the bike and that looks perfect, and affordable!
    Get a white Selle Italia ProLink or SLR gel flow.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast