Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    lol agreed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm an MTB Noob and I have no idea whatsoever on how to know which fork configuration to get. As far as the fitment. Steerer, taper, axle, etc. I just bought the 2012 Talon 2 and I know the first thing I want to do is replace the fork with a lockout at as cheap a price as possible. Preferably a RockShox. If anyone could tell me what to look for or model number I would appreciate it.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Just for kicks... Why RockShox ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Because in the under $200 range with the lockout and blowoff I'm looking at either RockShox or Suntour. From what I've read, the RockShox is way better. I'm looking at the XC32 TK 29er.

sram.com/rockshox/products/xc-32-tk-29#/path/term-id/455

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    blueskycycling.com/product6443_39_-Rock-Shox-XC-32-TK-29er-Coil-Fork.htm

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I would save the money and go with the Fox... Just my 0.2 cents.

mtbr member
    I'm also looking to get the fox fork for my 2011 Talon 1 29er. Kind of confused which model/size to get so it will fit, please suggest. Thanks!

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I just got mine a few weeks ago. I've been using it as my commuter bike, and have already put about 200 miles on it. At the moment the fork has not bothered me that much, but ride with it locked out most of the time right now. I have slicks on order, and should have them installed by the end of the week.

This bike beats my last ride a late 80's / early 90's GT 26er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    I'm also looking to get the fox fork for my 2011 Talon 1 29er. Kind of confused which model/size to get so it will fit, please suggest. Thanks!
    Non tapered steerer, 100mm travel if you want to leave everything else intact. If you want you can go with a Cane Creek XX and use a tapered fork but the travel should remain at 100mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Non tapered steerer, 100mm travel if you want to leave everything else intact. If you want you can go with a Cane Creek XX and use a tapered fork but the travel should remain at 100mm.
    Thanks, off to Classifieds section.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Thanks, off to Classifieds section.
    Look at the picture of my bike. That's what the fork will look like without the Cane Creek piece.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    Look at the picture of my bike. That's what the fork will look like without the Cane Creek piece.
    Just saw it is that 2012 fox fork? looks awesome.

Go Speed Racer
    Looks like I am stuck with the stock fork on my 2011 Talon 1 for awhile due to $$$ constraints. It is starting to squeak a bit and I am not able to find any information online about how to maintain it (I do most if not all the maintenance on my bike).

Has anyone taken this thing apart? It is the SR Suntour Raidon LTD.

Any advice on what maintenance I can do to get another year or so out of it would be greatly appreciated.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Looks like I am stuck with the stock fork on my 2011 Talon 1 for awhile due to $$$ constraints. It is starting to squeak a bit and I am not able to find any information online about how to maintain it (I do most if not all the maintenance on my bike).

Has anyone taken this thing apart? It is the SR Suntour Raidon LTD.

Any advice on what maintenance I can do to get another year or so out of it would be greatly appreciated.
    I've only taken apart the 15mm Thru axel housing, but you already know that.

I wish Giant would provide some decient documentation on their one-off parts. I know the fork was not made by them, but rather made for them and this bike. If you find a link to any decent information please share with everyone. Thanks!

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I've only taken apart the 15mm Thru axel housing, but you already know that.

I wish Giant would provide some decient documentation on their one-off parts. I know the fork was not made by them, but rather made for them and this bike. If you find a link to any decent information please share with everyone. Thanks!
    I just sent an email to Suntour asking for some more information. Wish me luck!

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I went to the Suntour Cycling web site. The latest Workshopbook they have is for 2010. You may try contacting someone at their web site (SR SUNTOUR Cycling) and see when they will publilsh the 2011 workshopbook.

Here are a bunch of Tec Videos: SR SUNTOUR Cycling.

Good Luck and let us know if you find anything usefull.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I just sent an email to Suntour asking for some more information. Wish me luck!
    Did you ever find any formal information from Suntour?

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Did you ever find any formal information from Suntour?
    Yes I did get a response, and it was not all that helpfull... Here is the reply:

"Hi Dennis,

It the fork is starting to squeak a bit I would recommend 2 things. Remove the lower casting and relube the bushing’s with a light weight grease. Also because the fork uses a coil spring it is important for it to be liberally greased to reduce rubbing on the inner wall of the stanchion.

Best regards,

Nick Hannah-Moore
    Service and Warranty
    SR Suntour North America, Inc.
    14511 NE 10th Avenue, UNIT E
    Vancouver, WA 98685"

mtbr member
    Nick provides good customer service but the product is so bad that when it starts to give trouble you're better off replacing it.

Tried to sell my Radion and ended up giving it away; no body wanted to pay for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nick provides good customer service but the product is so bad that when it starts to give trouble you're better off replacing it.

Tried to sell my Radion and ended up giving it away; no body wanted to pay for it.
    Im in the same boat. Mine is sitting in the shed collecting rust.

mtbr member
    I bought a Giant Talon 1 this week, and took it riding yesterday. I cut my time in half with this bike. I love it. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and do a little "more"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-ar2suubceaexbpa.jpg  

Last edited by Joshua75W; 05-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    "Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try."

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Congrats on the purchase. I'm still loving mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua75W View Post
    I bought a Giant Talon 1 this week, and took it riding yesterday. I cut my time in half with this bike. I love it. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and do a little "more"

Need more pics of this bike please. What did you upgrade from? Any short comings on the 1 so far?

How well does the fork lock out?

I have one ordered but havent ridden it. None on Oahu. I have ridden the talon 2 and love it but wanted the few upgrades on the talon 1.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

I don't have a way of posting pictures right now.(using my iPad)

I was using just a cheap department store bike while saving up for the talon. It is a humongous difference though. Lol

The fork lock out seems to do well. I haven't used much of it though. I still have a lot of experimenting to do with the bike.

I'm headed out tomorrow to ride 20 miles. I'm excited to push this bike harder and see what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mac View Post
    Need more pics of this bike please. What did you upgrade from? Any short comings on the 1 so far?

How well does the fork lock out?

I have one ordered but havent ridden it. None on Oahu. I have ridden the talon 2 and love it but wanted the few upgrades on the talon 1.
    "Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try."

mtbr member
    hmmm..so the cane creek XX will fit into the talon's headtube..so i assume its an internal headset..has anybody used this and are there any issues?
    does any other brand have this type of headset?

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast