Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
    squish, squish in da fish
    it's all personal preference, but i am your size. i put a 50mm 0 rise stem and 740mm flat bar on it. my seat was set at about mid way between my hip joint and top of pelvis. better way for you to set it up would be to have your leg bent at around a 10-15* angle when fully extended down, almost full extension but not locked out. seat fore/aft should be set so your bump below knee is directly over your pedal spindle when crank is at 3 o'clock on drive side. then adjust handle bars accordingly. depends on what kind of stance you're comfortable with.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourdagespl View Post
    Hello,

I have a Talon 0 in large. I'm 6'2'' with 34 1/2'' legs.

Some talon owner here with approx same mesure? I'm trying to find the best seat level / stem combinaison.

Attachment 813802
    I'm 6'1.5" and right at about 34.5" inseam. I went with a size XL 2012 Talon 0. LBS had me ride both large and XL, back-to-back. They said I could go with either size, since I am right on the border of both, but that I looked better on the XL. They said I looked a little bit cramped on the large. I'm also a stout dude, at about 235 pounds.

On the XL, I run a 75 mm/17-degree stem, with 711 mm bar. I think saddle height is just something you have to play around with, and get set right for you after a little trial-n-error.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourdagespl View Post
    Hello,

I have a Talon 0 in large. I'm 6'2'' with 34 1/2'' legs.

Some talon owner here with approx same mesure? I'm trying to find the best seat level / stem combinaison.

Attachment 813802
    Measure your inseam and multiply it by .883, that will give you the saddle height then use KOPS to determine the saddle fore/aft position and then use a level to level the saddle with the nose slightly up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm still running around with the pogo stick RochShox XC28 on my talon. I was coping with it till now but oh my gosh its horrendous. I just don't know how I haven't noticed how bad it really is!

Anyways.... What's the best fork to stick on this frame?

anything, but the one you have. on a serious note, i love the manitou tower pro. it has infinite adjustments, good price for everything it has to offer, & CS is spot on. they have me for life. depending on your weight you might have to buy a new coil for it but they are cheap. 2012 and newer come with a firm and anything older comes with a medium which is for around 140/150#'s. there are some good threads on here on how to tweek 'em if you do decide to scoop one up.

mtbr member
    In no particular order, Fox Float 29, Rock Shox Reba RLT, Manitou Tower, Marzocchi TST2 Micro Ti.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi all. New here but thinking of picking up a 2012 Talon 2. LBS has it for $499.. think it'd be a good start off point? Will be using it daily for getting to work then trail use on the weekends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntrinsik View Post
    Hi all. New here but thinking of picking up a 2012 Talon 2. LBS has it for $499.. think it'd be a good start off point? Will be using it daily for getting to work then trail use on the weekends.
    All Talon's share the same frame, the difference is in the components and color scheme.

In your case I'll suggest buying a set of slicks for your commuting and swapping tires for trail use unless you don't mind using up your dirt tires on the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    anything, but the one you have. on a serious note, i love the manitou tower pro. it has infinite adjustments, good price for everything it has to offer, & CS is spot on. they have me for life. depending on your weight you might have to buy a new coil for it but they are cheap. 2012 and newer come with a firm and anything older comes with a medium which is for around 140/150#'s. there are some good threads on here on how to tweek 'em if you do decide to scoop one up.
    Isn't the manitou tower a 15mm qr? How hard is it to convert my 9mm to 15mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The float 29 is horrendously expensive. Don't think it's cost effective to upgrade to it, 9mm drop outs are becoming less common as is the 1 1/8 steerer. Gonna have a look at the tower and the Reba. Can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that stocks them, are forks a difficult part to buy? Might have a chat with my lbs too.

nope the tower comes in all 3 axles. to go from 9 to 15mm you need a new hub w/ adapter caps. not poss w/ stock hubs. you can get a hope pro 2 evo w/ adapters for under a $100 from wiggle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakkenbus View Post
    The float 29 is horrendously expensive.
    That's why you don't see many of those on Talons, is almost as expensive as the top of the line Talon. The more affordable that I've seen so far is the Marzocchi TST2 Air, my son has one on his Talon 1 and performs well but the Micro Ti, Reba and Tower will out perform it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do any of you guys do any XC type of racing with your Talons? We have a couple of races coming up down here in So-Cal.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    Do any of you guys do any XC type of racing with your Talons? We have a couple of races coming up down here in So-Cal.
    Have not yet, but have two coming up... Not looking to set any records.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    Do any of you guys do any XC type of racing with your Talons?
    Saw a guy racing his where we used to live, we recently did the Black Fly Challenge and my kid will continue racing his until September on the NY State Mtb Series.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeh, i just want to try them just to do it. Hopefully my forks will handle it..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What width tire does everybody run? Is 2.35 too fat to fit into the talon? Looks like it'll be tight for space.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm running 2.3 Specialized Renegade S-works in the rear, 2.3 Purgatory S-works in the front, stock SR Suntour fork. I'd think you have enough clearance for 2.35s.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakkenbus View Post
    What width tire does everybody run? Is 2.35 too fat to fit into the talon? Looks like it'll be tight for space.
    As a 155-pound rider geared up, what is a better upgrade from factory- wheelset or fork? I'm thinking Sun Ringle Black Flag Pros or a RS Reba, $500 either way through a LBS.

I plan on replacing the Giant root hydraulic brakes with Avid Elixir 9's, an maybe getting some carbon bars from a friend for cheap while I'm at it.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

I think you'll immediately notice the most difference with a fork. Especially over the stock suntour fork. Have you thought about the upgrade program through suntour? You could get a pretty nice fork for around $200 and put the other $300 towards a wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anyone point me to a way if contacting someone for the sun tour upgrade program? Mine is getting springy and clunks when going off a jump. 2012 Talon 1

mtbr member
    May 2012

SRAM X-9 Rear derail

Thanks to an unfortunate bike rack dismount, I could really use a new rear derailleur. My '11 came with an X5. I am thinking an X9 would be a good update. Any experience with this set-up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    Thanks to an unfortunate bike rack dismount, I could really use a new rear derailleur. My '11 came with an X5. I am thinking an X9 would be a good update. Any experience with this set-up?
    Should work just fine.

krakkenbus, i ran 2, 2.35 rampage's no probs.

chem bro, i'd stay away from elixir anything. i blew through 3 sets of 1's and now have xo's and they still have the same probs as the 1's. if you like to bleed brakes and always keep the cups cleaned & lubed, then you'll love em. they are temperamental.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As a new Talon owner (2013 Talon 1) this thread is a great read.......no doubt I'll be asking for advice in the future too!

mtbr member
    Had bad experiences with Avid hydros (Juicy and Elixir), I would look at something else.

Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast