Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Go Speed Racer
    Thanks for the help! I was trying to avoid the qr9mm adapter / hub switch out (really like the 15mm thru axle concept.

Also, I am new to chain love, is it really just one item at a time, or can you browse for items?

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti is awesome, especially for the price that they were offered for. However, I think both chainlove and hucknroll are sold out.

Chainlove is one item at a time, and is linked to hucknroll. They may have the same owners???

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti is awesome, especially for the price that they were offered for. However, I think both and are sold out.

is one item at a time, and is linked to . They may have the same owners???
    Thanks, I will see if I can hunt one down. This stock fork is driving me nuts.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Thanks, I will see if I can hunt one down. This stock fork is driving me nuts.
    Bikerbob has Fox Forks for reasonable prices. That's were I picked up mine.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    Bikerbob has Fox Forks for reasonable prices. That's were I picked up mine.
    Thanks, I only see one listed there now for $500. It is not really clear if it is 29er and also, it says it has a tapered tube, and I am assuming I need a non tapered version, is that correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    correct. The talon 29er does not have a tapered head tube. the 2010 does not and the 2011 is the same frame.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by whooda View Post
    correct. The talon 29er does not have a tapered head tube. the 2010 does not and the 2011 is the same frame.
    Thanks for the confirmation (I have 2011). I am on the hunt for one that meets my specs, wish me luck!

mtbr member
    You could use the Cane Creek adapter and run a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone know why the 2010 had lockout forks, but the 2012 does not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by druethe View Post
    Anyone know why the 2010 had lockout forks, but the 2012 does not?
    Cost savings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Cost savings?
    Is that the only possibility? If so, that is kinda lame. Any other benefit of getting rid of lockout forks? Weight reduction maybe?

Go Speed Racer
    Is that the only possibility? If so, that is kinda lame. Any other benefit of getting rid of lockout forks? Weight reduction maybe?
    I have the 2011 version (SR Suntour 100 with lockout) and I would trade it any day for the rock shox without lockout. My guess is that a lot of people complained about the suntour fork, so they "upgraded" to rock shox, but to keep the bike at the right price point (for the other components/etc on this bike) they had to go with a low end rock shox without lockout.

Good move on their part IMO.

Honestly, I think a fully rigid fork would be an upgrade from the one that came on the 2011.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I would assume the issues with the weight were a factor as well.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I have the 2011 version (SR Suntour 100 with lockout) and I would trade it any day for the rock shox without lockout. My guess is that a lot of people complained about the suntour fork, so they "upgraded" to rock shox, but to keep the bike at the right price point (for the other components/etc on this bike) they had to go with a low end rock shox without lockout.

Good move on their part IMO.

Honestly, I think a fully rigid fork would be an upgrade from the one that came on the 2011.
    Part of the reason i made the swtich to the fox, is because that 2011 Suntour really just felt like a pogo stick all the time.

mtbr member
    is the lock out feature the big of a deal ?
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    It all depends my friend... It's like republicans and democrats it's a matter of taste.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    In over 12 years of riding have never used the lockout feature on a fork or shock so for me is not a big deal or a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just get a new fork. The marz 44 has a knob with different levels of dampener (all the way to full lock) and a valve to adjust it. I never fully lock it out, but before I hit a big drop I kick it up a notch or two and it becomes much stiffer so it does not bottom out on me.

Get a new fork! You wont regret it.

Go Speed Racer
    Cleaned up the 2011 Talon 29er 1 today and it looks like I am due for some new brake pads on the front disc (I will probably do front and rear). Any recommendations on replacement pads?

Edit: Never mind, I just found this thread: Where to find ROOT replacement brake pads

mtbr member
    Use Shimano Deore M515 pads or compatible.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Use Shimano Deore M515 pads or compatible.
    Agreed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I test rode the Talon 2 in XL , and actually liked it better than the Cannondale Trail SL 4 (in large), Kona Kahuna (large), and Specialized Camber.

My biggest gripe is the fork. Is the worth getting the Talon 1 or 0 or just getting the Talon 2 and upgrading the fork.

I honestly didnt find the hydraulic disc brakes THAT amazing, and would prefer something lower maintenance at first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsakaki View Post
    I test rode the Talon 2 in XL , and actually liked it better than the Cannondale Trail SL 4 (in large), Kona Kahuna (large), and Specialized Camber.

My biggest gripe is the fork. Is the worth getting the Talon 1 or 0 or just getting the Talon 2 and upgrading the fork.

I honestly didnt find the hydraulic disc brakes THAT amazing, and would prefer something lower maintenance at first.
    The RS fork is a bit better, I would go with the 2, save some money and swap the fork with a Zocchi 44 Micro Ti, Fox or Suntour Epicon.

The mechanicals aren't that great, that's another upgrade worthy part.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    The RS fork is a bit better, I would go with the 2, save some money and swap the fork with a Zocchi 44 Micro Ti, Fox or Suntour Epicon.

The mechanicals aren't that great, that's another upgrade worthy part.
    I don't know I am usually with Dirt, but I rather get the 1 or the 0... Remember your not only upgrading the fork but the rest of the bike. In addition, if I am not mistaken the Talon2 is a 8 speed. You get an extra gear with the others as the 1 and 0 are 9 speeds.
    Just my 0.02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    I don't know I am usually with Dirt, but I rather get the 1 or the 0... Remember your not only upgrading the fork but the rest of the bike. In addition, if I am not mistaken the Talon2 is a 8 speed. You get an extra gear with the others as the 1 and 0 are 9 speeds.
    Just my 0.02
    His issue is with funds and that's the only reason why the 2 IMO is the best option. If he could pony up some extra dollars the 0 or 1 will be the choice for sure.

Knowing how this usually ends up, he'll get the 2, upgradeditis will kick in and will end up spending a lot more. Upgradeditis is a disease that most of us have and is very hard to contain, it has no cure.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast