Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 200 of 2674
  1. #101
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Actually DiRt DeViL, the 2012 Talon 2 comes with a Suntour XCT with a QR9.

    So, Hosway would have to upgrade his front hub to use a QR15 through axle fork.

    Link to specs: Talon 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

  2. #102
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Actually DiRt DeViL, the 2012 Talon 2 comes with a Suntour XCT with a QR9.
    The forks that he's looking at are QR9 so he's good plus he could add a Reba to the list.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    48
    So today I installed a new Marz TST2 fork on my 2011 Talon 1. WOW, it totally transformed my bike! A fork upgrade should be first on the mod list for any Talon owner. The ride is so much improved.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    28
    I upgraded to a Reba RLT with poplock last week. The difference is awesome, and I can really feel the dropped weight. The white fork matches so much better and fits the bike much nicer. This was my first high end fork so I don't have much to compare it to, but I plan on keeping it longer than the bike!

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Joes Rocket View Post
    I upgraded to a Reba RLT with poplock last week. The difference is awesome, and I can really feel the dropped weight. The white fork matches so much better and fits the bike much nicer. This was my first high end fork so I don't have much to compare it to, but I plan on keeping it longer than the bike!
    Do you have the 2012 Talon? Just picked one up last week for my first real bike purchase and keeping tabs on potential upgrades to make in the future.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    28
    Mine's a 2011, however the same fork would fit. It's a great upgrade though.

  7. #107
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Has anybody tried running a 2.4 wide tire in the front? I'm going to replace my Crossmarks with Maxxis Ardents. I plan on running 2.25 in the rear, but am wondering if the wheels will mount a Ardent 2.4 in front.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    I do not believe 2011 and 2012 talon wheelsets are identical. You should verify what hub is your wheel and find a fork corresponding to it. I also have a 2012 Talon 2 which I was planning to get a fork for. The whole time I was looking for it I never realized habit was a 9 mm qr. While doing my homework I found out that investing into a different front wheel that had a 15 thruaxle would benefit me more. I'm currently saving up huts a little more to get a Hightower pro invest into a external handle lock out switch and changing my wheels into tableless. Should signifantly improve my bike. Possibly drop so money into some hydro brakes as well.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua75W View Post
    I bought a Giant Talon 1 this week, and took it riding yesterday. I cut my time in half with this bike. I love it. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and do a little "more"
    Also have the 2012 talon 1. Great bilke besides the dam brake squeal "Avid Rotors " will post pics when i hit ten posts

    JOSHUA : Do you have any brake squeal ?

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    Props for the name translation :-) and yeah they squeal a little. Not enough to bother me. I'll adjust accordingly when it starts to get insane.

  11. #111
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Mine only squeal when the pads get wet or muddy.

  12. #112
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Just ordered a new "RockShox Reba RLT - Dual Air 100mm 29" Maxle Lite 15 Motion Control Damper" from amazon.com for $389.19 (List price is $612). I can not wait to get it on the bike!

    I am comfortable cutting the new fork to size, any recommendations on installing the star nut? Should I buy the tool to do it, or just take it to a bike shop and have then install it (the star nut installation is the only part of the installation that I am nervous about).

    Amazon.com: RockShox Reba RLT - Dual Air 100mm 29" Maxle Lite 15 Motion Control Damper: Sports & Outdoors

  13. #113
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    The tool is a great addition to your tool box but hardly sees any use, I install it with the bolt screwed in quarter to half way and hammer it into position.

    Congrats on the new fork, btw.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    28
    I just bought a new star nut, and put a screw in the nut, then hammered it down. It was a pain to get started, but it wasn't too bad. I would try it yourself before paying someone. You'll love the new fork, that was a good deal on Amazon. The best I found was getting an RLT with poploc on an ebay auction for $420. I swear I'll take pics one day and post them up...

  15. #115
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Joes Rocket View Post
    I just bought a new star nut, and put a screw in the nut, then hammered it down. It was a pain to get started, but it wasn't too bad. I would try it yourself before paying someone. You'll love the new fork, that was a good deal on Amazon. The best I found was getting an RLT with poploc on an ebay auction for $420. I swear I'll take pics one day and post them up...
    Thanks guys, I think I will try the hammer way first, even if I screw up, star nuts are cheap and not like I can screw up the fork. Can't wait to get it on the bike!!!! I will post before / during and after pics when I am done.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    Didnt realize there was a Talon thread. I just passed 60mi with my 2012 talon 0. Ive had the bike a week and am finally enjoying the riding after getting things setup to me. I havent hit any trails yet just hardpack and the local canal tow path. Been 16yrs since ive been on a bike figured i should take my time : )

    Apparently i need 9 more posts....

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
    Didnt realize there was a Talon thread. I just passed 60mi with my 2012 talon 0. Ive had the bike a week and am finally enjoying the riding after getting things setup to me. I havent hit any trails yet just hardpack and the local canal tow path. Been 16yrs since ive been on a bike figured i should take my time : )

    Apparently i need 9 more posts....
    How do you like the talon 0

  18. #118
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Well, I bought Maxxis Ardents. 2.4 for the front and 2.25 for the rear. I also converted the rims to tubeless. I removed the stock rim strip, used 1" Gorilla Tape wrapped once, 2 scoops of Stan's, and Stan's tubeless Presta valves. I needed a compressor to bead the tires, and they are holding pressure nicely.

    I can't wait to try the new combo out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-tubeless.jpg  


  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by r1enthusiast View Post
    How do you like the talon 0
    So far for the 60mi i like it alot, there are some small things i want to change, pedals, bars, and grips are the top 3.

    I have small block 8s on it and they seem to do what i need of them so far, and plus is they are a go to tire for some of the local trails too

    only thing i need to do is go tubeless after i get some more time on it.

    MattC--what is the covering on the RS lower frame piece? Also why a wider tire in the front and not the same in the rear? Rolling resistance or steering grip?

  20. #120
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Matt, keep us up to date on your tubeless conversion. I'm waiting on the Crossmarks to die so we can convert the wheels to tubeless and put some Ignitors on it which seem to be one of the preferred tires for the rooty and rocky Adirondack trails.

  21. #121
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    scatterbrains,

    I am using hockey tape as a chain stay protector. I'm guessing that's what you're referring to? I stops the chain from slapping in to the chain stay. Hockey tape is free for me, light, and durable. I think it looks cool too.

    The wider tire in front is for a couple of reasons:

    I prefer to have more front end grip, so that the rear tire slips first.
    I don't think a 2.4 wide tire would fit comfortably in the rear. It would be very close to the chain stays, would probably contact the front derailleur, and collect mud.
    The trials in my area can get pretty rough, so I decided to get as much volume in the front to help suck up the bumps.

  22. #122
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Matt, keep us up to date on your tubeless conversion. I'm waiting on the Crossmarks to die so we can convert the wheels to tubeless and put some Ignitors on it which seem to be one of the preferred tires for the rooty and rocky Adirondack trails.
    Ditto. I too am waiting for the Crossmarks to die. The rear sidewalls are pretty worn, so I am getting close. Current plan is to replace them with Geax Saguaro's (foldable) and go tubeless.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    Thanks Matt thought that was what the "covering" was for.

  24. #124
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Hockey tape works well and stuff like an inner tube wrapped in electrical tape, a phone cord held by zip ties, etc; many creative was to protect your stays.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    so is there a reason other than cosmetic to protect them?

  26. #126
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
    so is there a reason other than cosmetic to protect them?
    Um, that annoying SOUND of the chain smacking your frame when you are bombing down a hill....

    Hopefully the new clutch technology will get rid of chain slap forever....

  27. #127
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Like Dennis said, is mostly to quiet down the chain slapping sound and to protect the finish (purely cosmetic) of the stay.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Well, I bought Maxxis Ardents. 2.4 for the front and 2.25 for the rear. I also converted the rims to tubeless. I removed the stock rim strip, used 1" Gorilla Tape wrapped once, 2 scoops of Stan's, and Stan's tubeless Presta valves. I needed a compressor to bead the tires, and they are holding pressure nicely.

    I can't wait to try the new combo out.
    Looks awesome, when i kill my small blocks thats the next upgrade.


    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
    So far for the 60mi i like it alot, there are some small things i want to change, pedals, bars, and grips are the top 3.

    I have small block 8s on it and they seem to do what i need of them so far, and plus is they are a go to tire for some of the local trails too

    only thing i need to do is go tubeless after i get some more time on it.

    MattC--what is the covering on the RS lower frame piece? Also why a wider tire in the front and not the same in the rear? Rolling resistance or steering grip?
    Awesome, good luck with it. I just went to clipless pedals and all though the overall control on the bike is awesome I wiped out three times LOL Takes alot of getting used to I suppose.


    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Um, that annoying SOUND of the chain smacking your frame when you are bombing down a hill....

    Hopefully the new clutch technology will get rid of chain slap forever....
    New clutch technology?

  29. #129
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    42

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    I'm actually planning to get a manitou tower pro just cause I thought it would be cheaper. Manitou Tower Pro 29" 120mm White QR15 but seeing as people are getting rebas for near price I wounder if I should hold out till I find a deal. Any thoughts ? I can get the accompanying external handle bar lock out switch for like $30.

  32. #132
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    I'm actually planning to get a manitou tower pro just cause I thought it would be cheaper. Manitou Tower Pro 29" 120mm White QR15 but seeing as people are getting rebas for near price I wounder if I should hold out till I find a deal. Any thoughts ? I can get the accompanying external handle bar lock out switch for like $30.
    Just picked up the REBA from amazon for 389. It is not on there any longer, however the company that I got it from still has it on their website. Only thing is you would not get free shipping, but their shipping was reasonable and the price is still low. RockShox Reba RLT Suspension Fork Dual Air 29" 100mm White 15mm 1-1/8

  33. #133
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Just picked up the REBA from amazon for 389. It is not on there any longer, however the company that I got it from still has it on their website. Only thing is you would not get free shipping, but their shipping was reasonable and the price is still low. RockShox Reba RLT Suspension Fork Dual Air 29" 100mm White 15mm 1-1/8
    That's a sweet deal, just traded my Reign X1 for another Talon 1, now is time to save to do the same upgrades all over.

  34. #134
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    That's a sweet deal, just traded my Reign X1 for another Talon 1, now is time to save to do the same upgrades all over.
    Yep, it got here yesterday. I was afraid because it was so cheap that something was not going to be right (like they left out the shock pump or something), but nope, everything was there, brand new sealed package. Getting it installed tomorrow, and I can NOT WAIT!

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Hockey tape works well and stuff like an inner tube wrapped in electrical tape, a phone cord held by zip ties, etc; many creative was to protect your stays.
    I like the phone cord idea!

  36. #136
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    New Reba RLT is ready to rock! Next up is putting on the new Geax Saguaro's and going tubless!

    I was SHOCKED when the mech handed me the old fork and said "here is half your bike". He was not kidding, that thing weighs a TON. I bet I just shaved 2-3 pounds off the bike, easy.

    Talon owners .....-deer-valley-20120725-00381.jpg
    Talon owners .....-deer-valley-20120725-00383.jpg
    Talon owners .....-deer-valley-20120723-00376.jpg

  37. #137
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Looking good mtbdennis.

    I finally got out on the tubeless setup. I've been held up by weather and an ice hockey tournament, but was back on the trails this evening.

    The tubeless setup worked flawlessly. I honestly thought I lost pressure during the run, but the gauge at home said otherwise. I am currently running 24psi front(Ardent 2.4) and 26psi rear(Ardent 2.25). I've definitely gained some rolling resistance compared to the tubed stock 2.1 Crossmarks, but it isn't dramatic. The increase in grip, and ride quality is dramatically awesome. Trail chatter has been greatly reduced.

    If you're thinking about trying tubeless, DO IT! Very easy and cheap.

    How I did it:

    1" wide Gorilla Tape
    a pint of Stan's sealant
    Stan's tubeless presta valves(or make your own out of old tubes)

    I wrapped the gorilla tape once, stretching the tape as I applied it, and overlapped approximately 4" over the valve stem. I then installed the tire, added two scoops of Stan's sealant, used a sponge to coat the bead and rim with soapy water(dawn and water on a sponge for washing dishes), then filled with a compressor rapidly. Once the tire was seated(at 35psi) I shook the assembly horizontally while rotating the wheel, so that the sealant was evenly applied throughout the rim. That's it. I waited a day before riding the bike around the neighborhood. I'm not sure if this is necessary. This was the first time I attempted ghetto tubeless, and I finished in under 45minutes.

    Oh, I weighed the bike today and it came in at 27.6lbs as pictured in this thread(w/ pedals).

    Upgrade list:

    Tubeless w/ Ardents
    Fizik Aliante Gamma Kium Xm saddle
    Thompson Elite set back seat post
    Marzocchi Micro Ti 29er set at 140mm
    Shimano M540 pedals
    Sram X9 RD
    Removed big ring and replaced with Raceface aluminum bash-guard

    I plan on replacing the bars with some wider carbon(~685mm), and getting new grips soon. The brakes will eventually be upgraded with Shimano XT or SLX too. The stock Giant ROOTs are quiet, but lack power. They're just ok, but quite good for an entry level bike.

  38. #138
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    ... I wrapped the gorilla tape once, stretching the tape as I applied it, and overlapped approximately 4" over the valve stem. ...
    I am thinking about using your method (much cheaper than getting the kit). One question, did you put the stans stem in first and then wrap the tape over it and poke a hole in the tape (for the air to get in), or did you do the tape first and then poke a hole and put the stem in (that is what I am thinking).

    Thanks!

  39. #139
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    I wrapped the tape first, then poked a hole and put the stem in.

  40. #140
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    New Reba RLT is ready to rock!
    Looks really nice, get it dirty!

  41. #141
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    How I did it:

    1" wide Gorilla Tape
    a pint of Stan's sealant
    Stan's tubeless presta valves(or make your own out of old tubes)
    Ok, I have all these parts ordered. One more question, did you remove your existing rim strip (spoke protector) or did you tape over it?

    Thanks

  42. #142
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Looks really nice, get it dirty!
    Yep! Doing that in the morning! Can't wait!!!! Rode it around the block and can not believe the difference already. Making final adjustments tonight and tomorrow it is off to the dirt!

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    Sow as the tape applied over existing tape or was the original protector ripped off first?

  44. #144
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    Sow as the tape applied over existing tape or was the original protector ripped off first?
    From my research it looks like you remove the existing rim tape / spoke protector and then wrap the Gorilla tape around the inside of the rim.

  45. #145
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Looks really nice, get it dirty!
    Done, the bike is now dirty.

    Finally was able to take her out with the new fork. All I can say is WOW. It is like a new bike, totally changed the ride (for the better). I am actually kind of ticked that Giant even puts that fork on this (or any other bike). The old for weighed a TON and really did not do much (I do not think I ever got more than about 50-60% compression on it, and it bounces back way to quick. I would rather it had just came with a cheap rigid fork (but then again I probably would not have purchased the bike, so it makes sense why they put it on there).

    Anyway, if you have this bike I HIGHLY recommend saving now and upgrading the fork.

    Here are some images from my ride this morning (at the top, before the descent.

    Talon owners .....-img-20120728-00391.jpg

    Talon owners .....-img-20120728-00392.jpg

    Talon owners .....-img-20120728-00394.jpg

  46. #146
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Nice, now you have me looking at a fork for our second Talon (which is totally stock).

  47. #147
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Yes, you remove the stock rim strip before appling the Gorrilla Tape. Bike looks great btw!

  48. #148
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Yes, you remove the stock rim strip before appling the Gorrilla Tape. Bike looks great btw!
    Thanks. Also, I was watching the Stans video's and I noticed he mentioned that you may have burping problems if you do not run his rim strip. Have you had issues with that with the Ghetto Gorilla method?

  49. #149
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    No burping yet. I'll let you know if it happens.

  50. #150
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    mtbdennis,

    Looking at your pictures, it appears that you could remove your headset spacers and flip the stem. You could then shorten the steerer, and get rid of the headset spacers. Just some food for thought

  51. #151
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    mtbdennis,

    Looking at your pictures, it appears that you could remove your headset spacers and flip the stem. You could then shorten the steerer, and get rid of the headset spacers. Just some food for thought
    Yeah, I actually flipped the stem to where it is now to lower the bars. I have left it like it is because I plan on upgrading the headset / stem in the future and I am afraid of making the steerer tube too short (some headsets stick up a little higher than mine - and not sure if the height on a new stem will be any different).

    But thanks for the advice

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bosbik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    mtbdennis,

    Looking at your pictures, it appears that you could remove your headset spacers and flip the stem. You could then shorten the steerer, and get rid of the headset spacers. Just some food for thought
    I actually run mine exactly like that..more aggressive stance..

  53. #153
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Was able to trade my 4 y/o Reign X for a month old Talon, after some tweaks rode it during the weekend.



    The "nicer" one used to be my ride, now is my son's. Soon 2 piece cranks will replace the boat anchors it come with and eventually a fork.

  54. #154
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    ... Soon 2 piece cranks will replace the boat anchors it come with and eventually a fork.
    Nice! Keep me posted on what cranks you get... That is my next planned upgrade and I am not sure what to get (BB size / type / etc). I am currently running mine 2x9 because the only thing my big ring was getting used for was a bash gaurd!

  55. #155
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Nice! Keep me posted on what cranks you get
    My son's bike has Shimano SLX and they work flawlessly, mine will get the almost new Truvativ Stylo's that are currently in use on my NRS. The NRS will be downgraded to the Talon cranks as soon as I can get the correct size bb.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I am not sure what to get (BB size / type / etc). I am currently running mine 2x9 because the only thing my big ring was getting used for was a bash gaurd!
    You can get a good deal on a 2 ring (w bash) SLX set, they're strong and light. The Talon bb shell is 73mm, any 2 piece crankset should fit.

  56. #156
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    DiRt DeViL,

    Could you weight the crankset after you remove it? I'd like to know the weight savings. Thanks!

  57. #157
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    DiRt DeViL,

    Could you weight the crankset after you remove it? I'd like to know the weight savings. Thanks!

    Found this thread: Weight of shimano M442 crank?

    "820 grams with the mounting bolts. 1110 grams with the BB-ES25. "

    So lit looks like we could shave off around a full pound!!!! Yikes!

  58. #158
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    You can get a good deal on a 2 ring (w bash) SLX set, they're strong and light. The Talon bb shell is 73mm, any 2 piece crankset should fit.
    Thanks! I will start looking around for a deal...

  59. #159
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    The worst offender in the crankset is the bb and is not a ES25.

    I'll be swapping cranksets after I get the correct bb to fit the M442's on the NRS, any of you know the spindle lenght of the Talon OEM bb?

    Matt, you'll be saving about a pound.

  60. #160
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Yeah the BB weight is what I'm after. The stock cranks are stiff and smooth, but that BB sounds like it weighs a ton.

  61. #161
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    The stock cranks are stiff and smooth
    I felt with the first one and feel with the current one that there's some flex at the bb shell. After replacing the crankset with the SLX the flexy feeling went away, prolly is the plastic adapter on the left side of the bb that gives a little under torque.

    Just ordered a new bb with metal cups so I can quickly replace the OEM cranks and bb.

  62. #162
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    To my surprise the bb on the second Talon was Shimano and not as heavy as the one that came on the first one.

    The Stylo cranks with the GXP bb feel great on the backyard test, after today's ride will give more feedback.

  63. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    Here are some upgrades since I last posted.
    Tubeless Ardents
    Elixir 9 with JagWire HyFlow 180M Rotor Front 160M Rear
    Tower Pro 120MM
    Ergon GS1 White Grips
    and PXC-2 Front Wheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-20120814_171343.jpg  

    Talon owners .....-20120814_171611.jpg  

    Talon owners .....-20120814_171631.jpg  

    Talon owners .....-20120814_171737.jpg  


  64. #164
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Lookin good Hosway. Is there any reason you went with the UST version of the Ardent? What did you do to go tubeless? And how the heck are you still rockin those pedals???

  65. #165
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    The UN26 bb weights 308 grams


  66. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    Yeah went tubeless. Couldn't do ghetto so I installed the rim strips. Huge difference .

  67. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    Any recommendations on pedals? Still somewhat new to this so dont want to spend a crap load. Im learning and spending as I go lol

  68. #168
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    Any recommendations on pedals?
    Clipless or platforms?

    That's another item that is more of a personal thing. For clipless I prefer the Crank Bros eggbeaters or candy's, for platforms any with adjustable spikes will do as long as you use good grippy shoes like the 5.10's or Teva but in theory any quality skate shoe will do.

    Time, Shimano and Wellgo make quality pedals, I just don't like the SPD (Shimano) system. The Time Attac is a great pedal but a bit hard to get used to specially on the dismounts.

  69. #169
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    For flats I use Wellego MG-1 pedals and FiveTen Freerider shoes.

    For clipless I use Shimano SPD M520 pedals and Specialized MTB Comp shoes.

    Both work really well and are fairly inexpensive setups. The difference between skate shoes and FiveTens was staggering for me.

  70. #170
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Reputation: MattC555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    260
    Thanks for the BB weight Dirt Devil.

  71. #171
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    The difference between skate shoes and FiveTens was staggering for me.
    That's why most of the flat pedal riders wear 5.10's, the grip is amazing.

  72. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    Here is my baby.
    This is a 2012 Talon 2. Bought it in July, but it has been heavily upgraded, in fact I just got it back from my LBS yesterday.

    Upgrades
    Fork :-RockShox Reba RL
    Crankset/Bottom Bracket :SRAM X-7
    Front Derailleur :SRAM X-7
    Rear Derailleur :SRAM X-7
    Rear Cassette :SRAM PowerGlide 990
    Front & Rear Shifter : SRAM X-9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-side-view-resized.jpg  

    Talon owners .....-rear-view-resized.jpg  

    Talon owners .....-shifters-resized.jpg  

    Talon owners .....-fork-resized.jpg  

    Last edited by armahke; 08-16-2012 at 02:35 PM.

  73. #173
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    That's why most of the flat pedal riders wear 5.10's, the grip is amazing.
    Yep, I run Diety Decoy Pedals, and 5.10 Impact (low) shoes. Love them and will probably never run clipless again... I agree it is a personal preference.

  74. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23

    Talon 2

    Here is a pic of my Talon 2 I picked up back in June for less than $500 on craigslist, I added the Reba RL after a month of suffering with the suntour, recenty went clipless as well and love it so far. Riding with upside down stock stem and EA70 easton bars, great bike, next upgrades will be seat/post,stem, brakes, wheelset, crank. . .most likely in that order
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-photo-12-.jpg  


  75. #175
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Seems that the Reba is the fork to get now, how good is it?

  76. #176
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Seems that the Reba is the fork to get now, how good is it?
    10-12 rides on mine now, and I LOVE it (Reba RLT). However, the only thing I have to compare it to is the piece of junk boat anchor SR Suntour that came on my 2011 Talon. It is extremely adjustable, and I had mine dialed in to my liking after about 3 rides.

  77. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23
    It's my first decent fork, so I can't compare it to anything. But it makes the bike a lot more fun to ride now

  78. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    190
    I have to say its not bad level entry bike

    i had one these bikes for years then upgraded to xtc

    things i noticed the shock mostly was weak on it and wheels weigh a ton compared to xtc

    but apart from that its not a bad bike

  79. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    Same as Shawnk....I have been riding suntours ever since I bought my first suspended fork mountain bike so it is hard for me to compare with other higher end forks. Previous bike was an 07 rincon. Man that thing was a tank. I transferred the stock talon drive train to the rincon when I upgrade the talon. Now use the rincon for the daily commute or i lend it to friends who drop by to go riding (maybe I will upgrade the fork from the stock suntour to a rockshox recon gold). The talon is solely for trail riding. One things for sure, there is way less bobbing on the Reba than the suntours and yet somehow it manages to soak up the bumps.

  80. #180
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Just sold my NRS and pulled the trigger on the Reba, can't wait to get it.

  81. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23
    Congrats on your purchase, I haven't had any issues with mine and I don't baby it, I love taking jumps and drops, i run mine at around +120psi and about 20-30 psi less in the negative. This fork compliments the frame so well.

  82. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    28
    Whats your reasoning for running lower in the negative? What's it do to change the feel? I'm not a suspension tuning expert, but I always read/heard to run equal pressures between the two.

  83. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23
    Running less in the neg stiffens the fork. The more neg pressure you have the more small bump compliance with the fork. I ran it equal when I first installed it and it was a little too soft.

  84. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    31
    Reba 9 mm qr are fairly priced. I just preferred to use a 15 mm or 20 mm qr and unfortunately the 2012 weren't designed so. I ended up buying a spare wheel from an anthem at my lbs. Worked out ok for now and I was able to use the fork I wanted.

  85. #185
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    Reba 9 mm qr are fairly priced. I just preferred to use a 15 mm or 20 mm qr and unfortunately the 2012 weren't designed so. I ended up buying a spare wheel from an anthem at my lbs. Worked out ok for now and I was able to use the fork I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    To my surprise the bb on the second Talon was Shimano and not as heavy as the one that came on the first one.

    The Stylo cranks with the GXP bb feel great on the backyard test, after today's ride will give more feedback.
    DiRt DeViL - Do you know if the stock cranks are 170 or 175 mm?

  86. #186
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    DiRt DeViL - Do you know if the stock cranks are 170 or 175 mm?
    My Large came with 175's, don't remember what the Medium had.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 08-24-2012 at 07:49 AM.

  87. #187
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    My Large came with 175's, don't remember what the Medium had.
    Thanks, I have the small. How were you able to determine it? Is it stamped on it, or do I need to get a measuring tool?

  88. #188
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Thanks, I have the small. How were you able to determine it? Is it stamped on it, or do I need to get a measuring tool?
    Is stamped on the inside of the crank arms near the pedal thread along with the model number and the brand.

  89. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    28
    I just installed some Hayes Stroker Trail brakes on the 2011 Talon and they are MUCH better. I used them with Alligator Wind Cutters with the blue anodized center. They look much nicer too! I will post some pics up later. I picked up a Sette Rez white seat to continue the white theme. I have only rode the brakes up and down the street but the modulation and power compared to the giant roots are two different leagues. Best upgrade (next to my Reba RLT) for the bike, but also cheap! I got them for $140 on price point.

  90. #190
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Got the Reba installed yesterday and haven't tried it yet. Any setup pointers?

  91. #191
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Got the Reba installed yesterday and haven't tried it yet. Any setup pointers?
    I think it is largely personal preference and based on rider weight... I weigh 145 and Am running 90+ 80- and no lockout. Have not messed much with the rebound. Getting a little too much bob climbing, but really that bad. Downhill It rocks setup like this. Most of what I have read is people run the negative chamber around 10psi lower than upper. Works for me.

    Congrats on the upgrade! I am still waiting on a steal of a deal for some slx cranks, and then it will probably be on to the wheel set. Yes I too have a bad case of upgradeitis.

  92. #192
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    That's close to what I did, following the table I was supposed to use 135psi on both chambers but decided to go a bit lower on the negative.

    Set the rebound to be as fast as I like it and tweaked a bit with the Motion Control to make it more responsive, will have to wait to the weekend to test it and adjust some more.

  93. #193
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I am still waiting on a steal of a deal for some slx cranks, and then it will probably be on to the wheel set. Yes I too have a bad case of upgradeitis.
    I see, can't go wrong with any of them.

  94. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31
    New member to MTBR and mountain biking. Just purchased my Talon 1 this past Saturday and so far really liking the bike.


  95. #195
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
    New member to MTBR and mountain biking. Just purchased my Talon 1 this past Saturday and so far really liking the bike.
    Beware, there's an outbreak of the upgradeditis virus here; consider yourself warned.

  96. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23
    Hahaha, so true. I just ordered a charge spoon saddle, race face +\- 6 stem and odi rogue grips....the bike begs for upgrades......and I just give in :/

  97. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    42
    wondering about rotor size, i got the talon 1 as well and the brake noise is horrendous. I decided to upgrade to windcutters but I see that people go bigger in the front. What is the pro's con's to this.

  98. #198
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnk386 View Post
    Hahaha, so true. I just ordered a charge spoon saddle, race face +\- 6 stem and odi rogue grips....the bike begs for upgrades......and I just give in :/
    Great now I want that seat! Been looking for a nice white one to continue the white theme on the bike and that looks perfect, and affordable!

  99. #199
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by r1enthusiast View Post
    wondering about rotor size, i got the talon 1 as well and the brake noise is horrendous. I decided to upgrade to windcutters but I see that people go bigger in the front. What is the pro's con's to this.
    Prolly your pads are contaminated, ours are very quiet.

    A bigger rotor improves stopping power, tried a 180mm on mine but didn't noticed a great improvement. Prolly better breaks will be better than increasing the rotor size.

  100. #200
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Great now I want that seat! Been looking for a nice white one to continue the white theme on the bike and that looks perfect, and affordable!
    Get a white Selle Italia ProLink or SLR gel flow.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 132

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •