Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    lol agreed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm an MTB Noob and I have no idea whatsoever on how to know which fork configuration to get. As far as the fitment. Steerer, taper, axle, etc. I just bought the 2012 Talon 2 and I know the first thing I want to do is replace the fork with a lockout at as cheap a price as possible. Preferably a RockShox. If anyone could tell me what to look for or model number I would appreciate it.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Just for kicks... Why RockShox ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Because in the under $200 range with the lockout and blowoff I'm looking at either RockShox or Suntour. From what I've read, the RockShox is way better. I'm looking at the XC32 TK 29er.

sram.com/rockshox/products/xc-32-tk-29#/path/term-id/455

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    blueskycycling.com/product6443_39_-Rock-Shox-XC-32-TK-29er-Coil-Fork.htm

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    I would save the money and go with the Fox... Just my 0.2 cents.

mtbr member
    I'm also looking to get the fox fork for my 2011 Talon 1 29er. Kind of confused which model/size to get so it will fit, please suggest. Thanks!

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I just got mine a few weeks ago. I've been using it as my commuter bike, and have already put about 200 miles on it. At the moment the fork has not bothered me that much, but ride with it locked out most of the time right now. I have slicks on order, and should have them installed by the end of the week.

This bike beats my last ride a late 80's / early 90's GT 26er.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    I'm also looking to get the fox fork for my 2011 Talon 1 29er. Kind of confused which model/size to get so it will fit, please suggest. Thanks!
    Non tapered steerer, 100mm travel if you want to leave everything else intact. If you want you can go with a Cane Creek XX and use a tapered fork but the travel should remain at 100mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Non tapered steerer, 100mm travel if you want to leave everything else intact. If you want you can go with a Cane Creek XX and use a tapered fork but the travel should remain at 100mm.
    Thanks, off to Classifieds section.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Thanks, off to Classifieds section.
    Look at the picture of my bike. That's what the fork will look like without the Cane Creek piece.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    Look at the picture of my bike. That's what the fork will look like without the Cane Creek piece.
    Just saw it is that 2012 fox fork? looks awesome.

Who took my gears?
    Looks like I am stuck with the stock fork on my 2011 Talon 1 for awhile due to $$$ constraints. It is starting to squeak a bit and I am not able to find any information online about how to maintain it (I do most if not all the maintenance on my bike).

Has anyone taken this thing apart? It is the SR Suntour Raidon LTD.

Any advice on what maintenance I can do to get another year or so out of it would be greatly appreciated.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Looks like I am stuck with the stock fork on my 2011 Talon 1 for awhile due to $$$ constraints. It is starting to squeak a bit and I am not able to find any information online about how to maintain it (I do most if not all the maintenance on my bike).

Has anyone taken this thing apart? It is the SR Suntour Raidon LTD.

Any advice on what maintenance I can do to get another year or so out of it would be greatly appreciated.
    I've only taken apart the 15mm Thru axel housing, but you already know that.

I wish Giant would provide some decient documentation on their one-off parts. I know the fork was not made by them, but rather made for them and this bike. If you find a link to any decent information please share with everyone. Thanks!

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I've only taken apart the 15mm Thru axel housing, but you already know that.

I wish Giant would provide some decient documentation on their one-off parts. I know the fork was not made by them, but rather made for them and this bike. If you find a link to any decent information please share with everyone. Thanks!
    I just sent an email to Suntour asking for some more information. Wish me luck!

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I went to the Suntour Cycling web site. The latest Workshopbook they have is for 2010. You may try contacting someone at their web site (SR SUNTOUR Cycling) and see when they will publilsh the 2011 workshopbook.

Here are a bunch of Tec Videos: SR SUNTOUR Cycling.

Good Luck and let us know if you find anything usefull.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I just sent an email to Suntour asking for some more information. Wish me luck!
    Did you ever find any formal information from Suntour?

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Did you ever find any formal information from Suntour?
    Yes I did get a response, and it was not all that helpfull... Here is the reply:

"Hi Dennis,

It the fork is starting to squeak a bit I would recommend 2 things. Remove the lower casting and relube the bushing’s with a light weight grease. Also because the fork uses a coil spring it is important for it to be liberally greased to reduce rubbing on the inner wall of the stanchion.

Best regards,

Nick Hannah-Moore
    Service and Warranty
    SR Suntour North America, Inc.
    14511 NE 10th Avenue, UNIT E
    Vancouver, WA 98685"

Nick provides good customer service but the product is so bad that when it starts to give trouble you're better off replacing it.

Tried to sell my Radion and ended up giving it away; no body wanted to pay for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nick provides good customer service but the product is so bad that when it starts to give trouble you're better off replacing it.

Tried to sell my Radion and ended up giving it away; no body wanted to pay for it.
    Im in the same boat. Mine is sitting in the shed collecting rust.

mtbr member
    I bought a Giant Talon 1 this week, and took it riding yesterday. I cut my time in half with this bike. I love it. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and do a little "more"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-ar2suubceaexbpa.jpg  

Last edited by Joshua75W; 05-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    "Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try."

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Congrats on the purchase. I'm still loving mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua75W View Post
    I bought a Giant Talon 1 this week, and took it riding yesterday. I cut my time in half with this bike. I love it. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and do a little "more"

Need more pics of this bike please. What did you upgrade from? Any short comings on the 1 so far?

How well does the fork lock out?

I have one ordered but havent ridden it. None on Oahu. I have ridden the talon 2 and love it but wanted the few upgrades on the talon 1.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

I don't have a way of posting pictures right now.(using my iPad)

I was using just a cheap department store bike while saving up for the talon. It is a humongous difference though. Lol

The fork lock out seems to do well. I haven't used much of it though. I still have a lot of experimenting to do with the bike.

I'm headed out tomorrow to ride 20 miles. I'm excited to push this bike harder and see what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mac View Post
    Need more pics of this bike please. What did you upgrade from? Any short comings on the 1 so far?

How well does the fork lock out?

I have one ordered but havent ridden it. None on Oahu. I have ridden the talon 2 and love it but wanted the few upgrades on the talon 1.
    "Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try."

mtbr member
    hmmm..so the cane creek XX will fit into the talon's headtube..so i assume its an internal headset..has anybody used this and are there any issues?
    does any other brand have this type of headset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua75W View Post
    I don't have a way of posting pictures right now.(using my iPad)

I was using just a cheap department store bike while saving up for the talon. It is a humongous difference though. Lol

The fork lock out seems to do well. I haven't used much of it though. I still have a lot of experimenting to do with the bike.

I'm headed out tomorrow to ride 20 miles. I'm excited to push this bike harder and see what it can do.
    Thanks. I would love to see some more pics. Not a lot out there of the 2012 Talon 1. how he 20 miler go?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mac View Post
    Thanks. I would love to see some more pics. Not a lot out there of the 2012 Talon 1. how he 20 miler go?

Loving it more and more!!!! every time I'm out on it

My kid loves it

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Two questions:

1. What tools do I need to remove the cranks and BB from a '11 Talon 1?

2. Has anybody weighed the stock 2011 wheelset?

To remove the cranks follow this.

No idea on the weight of the wheels.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Thanks DiRt DeViL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    Two questions:

1. What tools do I need to remove the cranks and BB from a '11 Talon 1?

2. Has anybody weighed the stock 2011 wheelset?

If you go to the giant section they have a thread on the s- and p- 29er series wheels. Few weights listed with and with out skewers and cassettes. Take a look.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I also ride a 2011 Talon 1 and love it. I too would like to upgrade the fork, but not looking to spend $700 to do so. My LBS reccomended the Marzocchi 44 TST2. Would this be a nice upgrade from the stock fork??

Thanks,
    Pal

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I rented a 2012 Talon 0 the other day. I thought it was awesome. First time ever on a 29er so I don't have much to
    Compare it to... I just know that it climbed waaaaay better than my 26" revel, handled better in the turns and just seemed more stable and fast.
    Two things I didn't like we're I kept hitting the shifter with my thumb knuckle and changing gears... This happened like 10 times in one ride and has never happened to me before. Also, my pedals kept hitting the ground, do there was some sort of clearance issue. Otherwise I absolutely loved the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    I also ride a 2011 Talon 1 and love it. I too would like to upgrade the fork, but not looking to spend $700 to do so. My LBS reccomended the Marzocchi 44 TST2. Would this be a nice upgrade from the stock fork??

Thanks,
    Pal
    It is a good upgrade, nice will be a Fox.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    Well i don't know of any Talon other than a 29er... Makes sense when you think about it. Do you know how many vehicles American Manufactures have over seas with different names we don't even know about? Tons!
    Here's a link to the Talon that was released in Australia in 2009 - 26".
    www2(dot)giant-bicycles(dot)com/en-au/bikes/mountain/2177/31857/?collections_id=4]Giant Bicycles Archive
    (sorry can't post links - Newby. You'll have to replace the (dot) with . )

The current Talon in Aust. is the same frame shape as the ones posted above.

The 2009 26" is my ride - i'll post a pic when i find one. The only change i've made is putting on Maxxis Crossfire tyres.

I note that the price has dropped significantly since i purchased - maybe downed the quality of the components in the later models...???

Cheers Tim

mtbr member
    May 2012

Stem upgrade?

Guys, have any of you swapped the stem out for a shorter unit? How did it effect the handling?

I kept the same length but with a lesser degree of rise, huge change IMO.

Shorter stem = quicker, snappy steering
    Longer stem = slower, more controlled steering

Is a very similar feeling to when you put longer bars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wheelset weighted around 2200grams with skewers..not really on the light side but durable. The Talon frame is made from Aluxx SL grade alloy..so its stiff and light like the XTC but I do not know the weight of the frame.Anyone?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm sorry to repeat a question, however I have found 2 different answers regarding the fork on my 2011 Talon 1 29er. I have heard its a tapered steer tube, and I have also heard its a straight 1 1/8 tube. I know I need a 15mm through axle and 29er size, but which head tube do I need. And are there others I can use with some simple adapters? Sorry for the questions, although I know a lot, I still am a newb compared to the others on this board.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    my 2010 talon 1 is a 1 1/8th straight.

However, you can get headsets that can make any of them work on any bike. If your head tube is tapered they make a headset that will use a spacer or shim on the bottom to make a 1 1/8 straight fit.
    if you have a tapered fork in a straight head tube they make a headset that puts the bearings on the outside of the head tube giving more room for the tapered steerer.
    New Headset Allows Use Of Tapered Steerers In Some 1-1/8in Head Tubes - BikeRadar

so if you get a good deal you can get whatever you want
    2011 Giant Talon 1
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks, if I look at a used fork, how long does the tube have to be (minimum with the stock setup)

Quote Originally Posted by Joes Rocket View Post
    Thanks, if I look at a used fork, how long does the tube have to be (minimum with the stock setup)
    Depends on the size frame, specially the head tube; measure your current fork and get something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Joes Rocket View Post
    I'm sorry to repeat a question, however I have found 2 different answers regarding the fork on my 2011 Talon 1 29er. I have heard its a tapered steer tube, and I have also heard its a straight 1 1/8 tube. I know I need a 15mm through axle and 29er size, but which head tube do I need. And are there others I can use with some simple adapters? Sorry for the questions, although I know a lot, I still am a newb compared to the others on this board.
    2011 Talon is not tapered, is a straight 1 1/8 headtube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    anyone know anything about the talon2 for 2013 or whatever they might be putting out like it right around the same price? i am thinking of buying a talon 2 2012 but i dont want the 13 to come out in two weeks with something better.

Believe that the new models usually become available late summer or early fall.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It is a good upgrade, nice will be a Fox.
    I pulled the trigger on the TST2! No word yet from my bike shop that it has arrived. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks to every talon rider. For all info. about are bike, From cc XX-44mm lower headset up to fork upgrade.You guy's educated me a lot. Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-sdc12055.jpg  

Last edited by islaw; 06-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok , this feels like its going to be a noob question but in order to use some of the forks suggested on this thread will i have to purchase another wheel? My LBS said since the front wheel set on my Talon 2 (2012) model is a QR than I would have to purchase a wheel with a through axle in order to use certain forks such as the Micro TI.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosway View Post
    Ok , this feels like its going to be a noob question but in order to use some of the forks suggested on this thread will i have to purchase another wheel? My LBS said since the front wheel set on my Talon 2 (2012) model is a QR than I would have to purchase a wheel with a through axle in order to use certain forks such as the Micro TI.
    Plenty of topics about the Talon and fork options, the quick answer is that you need a QR15 non tapered 1 1/8" fork if you want to stay away from changing wheels, hubs or using adapters.

If the fork you want is QR9 then you'll need to find some kind of adapter to convert the hub from 15mm to 9mm, replace the hub or the whole wheel.

If the fork you want is tapered you'll need to get the Cane Creek XX (44 I believe) in order to do so.

There are several (but not many) non tapered qr15 forks out there, the Zocchi 44TST and Micro Ti, Fox F29RL and Suntour Epicon quickly come to mind.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast