Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan13 View Post
    So happy to see someone with the Reba's on their Talon 0! Looks great! I was a little unsure of how they would look as I just ordered them yesterday, but seeing it now - I'm happy. I think I might get the shift & brake lines replaced with white to go along with the fork
    A few of us ride the dual air Reba, it was a pain to dial in but once you get it is great.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    A few of us ride the dual air Reba, it was a pain to dial in but once you get it is great.
    That was the driving force behind getting the Reba, all of the positive reviews on the forum. The XC28 did not work for me and my 225lbs (w/o gear)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick question. I see most of the SLX cranksets are a 10 speed design. My 2011 1 has a 9 speed arrangement. Are the two compatible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    Quick question. I see most of the SLX cranksets are a 10 speed design. My 2011 1 has a 9 speed arrangement. Are the two compatible?
    No, the chain, ring and cassette width is different.

Go Speed Racer
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M665 Crankset w/ Bash Guard 8/9 Speed

$139 for the 2x9 version Sale ends today (I think they usually extend the sale however)...

mtbr member
    Ebay - 22-32-44 175mm

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M665 Crankset w/ Bash Guard 8/9 Speed

$139 for the 2x9 version Sale ends today (I think they usually extend the sale however)...
    Thx MTBDennis for the heads up! just ordered the set, you just saved me a nice chunk of change that I can use on my upgradeitis habit. Hmmm, Stan's NoTubes??

squish, squish in da fish
    not entirely true dirt devil. chain and cassette are def different in width, but i measured a 9 and 10 speed ring and they are the same size exactly. i purchased a 8/9 speed dual ring slx crankset and run 1x10 no problems. so a crankset can be run in any speed config except 11. so heypal99 you can use that crank, mtbdennis is showing the same crank i am using.

Go Speed Racer
    Thx MTBDennis for the heads up! just ordered the set, you just saved me a nice chunk of change that I can use on my upgradeitis habit. Hmmm, Stan's NoTubes??
    Cool! Glad I could help. As for the STAN'S conversion, I say to for it! I sure am glad I did...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    not entirely true dirt devil. chain and cassette are def different in width, but i measured a 9 and 10 speed ring and they are the same size exactly. i purchased a 8/9 speed dual ring slx crankset and run 1x10 no problems. so a crankset can be run in any speed config except 11. so heypal99 you can use that crank, mtbdennis is showing the same crank i am using.
    Not to get into an argument but is my understanding that the internal diameter of a 10spd chain is smaller than a 9sp so the teeth of a 10sp ring are thinner than a 8-9sp ring; I might be wrong but that's what I found out when deciding which SLX crankset to buy because the 9spd SLX cranksets were hard to find and plenty of 10spd were available.

If it works, go for it.

Not to get into an argument but is my understanding that the internal diameter of a 10spd chain is smaller than a 9sp so the teeth of a 10sp ring are thinner than a 8-9sp ring; I might be wrong but that's what I found out when deciding which SLX crankset to buy because the 9spd SLX cranksets were hard to find and plenty of 10spd were available.

If it works, go for it.
    i too am not trying to argue, but this is what i found. my sram 10 spd rings and my shimano 9 spd rings both measure 1.5mm. the inner dim of a 10 speed chain is 2mm and a 7/8/9 spd chain inner dim is 2.25mm. the 10 spd cog is 1.25 and a 8 spd cog is 1.5. so knowing this you can have a multitude of combos & knowing is half the battle, lol. read this it sheds a tad of light Changing from 8spd to 10spd
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 04-16-2013 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Has anyone thought about putting 27.5 wheels on their bike?

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Question for those of you that replaced their fork with the Reba RL: how much of the steerer tube did you have to cut when installing or did you have to cut it at all?

mtbr member
    Question for those of you that replaced their fork with the Reba RL: how much of the steerer tube did you have to cut when installing or did you have to cut it at all?
    This pic was taken after removing the OE fork on a medium Talon and yes, you may have to cut the steerer tube.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfrider View Post
    Has anyone thought about putting 27.5 wheels on their bike?
    Nope. I think it is a bad idea. The frame / geometry was designed around a 29 inch wheel. I would think that any advantages of doing this would be greatly outweighed by having the geometry all messed up. But I have considered putting the 20 wheels from my daughters old walmart bike on it, you know for a lower center of gravity (and easy single speed conversion).

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    This pic was taken after removing the OE fork on a medium Talon and yes, you may have to cut the steerer tube.
    Thanks for the info DiRt DeViL, doing my own upgrades is exciting, but nerve wracking when you go in uninformed. I was thinking of using a hacksaw but now that I look at it I'm going to pick up a pipe cutter ASAP

mtbr member
    I'm planning on getting a 2013 Talon 0 in the next few weeks. Would this be an improvement over the stock drivetrain? I'm pretty sure they are, but I'm not sure where all the levels are.

FD: Shimano SLX FD-M671
    RD: Shimano SLX rear derailleur RD-M670
    Shifters: Shimano SLX SL-M670 shifters 3X10

STOCK PARTS ARE:
    FD: Shimano Deore LX
    RD: SRAM X7
    Shifters: SRAM X5

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf150 View Post
    I'm planning on getting a 2013 Talon 0 in the next few weeks. Would this be an improvement over the stock drivetrain? I'm pretty sure they are, but I'm not sure where all the levels are.

STOCK PARTS ARE:
    yes they are a better improvement. do u want to stay with a 3x10, have u ever thought of going 1x10? reason i ask is i went from 3x8 to 1x8 and now am at 1x10 and love it. you can ditch top end & granny rings, FD & shifter. a zee RD and zee shifter would be all you need ($140 total). zee RD has shadow plus (new clutch tech) so no need really for a chain guide unless your bombing down some serious rockgardens. just a thought

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info DiRt DeViL, doing my own upgrades is exciting, but nerve wracking when you go in uninformed. I was thinking of using a hacksaw but now that I look at it I'm going to pick up a pipe cutter ASAP
    If you have a guide the hacksaw will work but the pipe cutter is a lot simpler and quicker, remember to file the edges.

mtbr member

STOCK PARTS ARE:
    That's an upgrade but not a great improvement IMO but let me tell you that the X5 and X7 stuff is as good. My older Talon is all X5 and after 2 years of use and abuse still shifts as crisp as the day it was purchased.

mtbr member
    That's an upgrade but not a great improvement IMO...
    Then maybe I should put that $ towards a Rock Shox Recon Gold Tk instead. The person is asking $185 total for those 3 things.

Anyone ever buy from there? Is that fork a direct replacement?

mtbr member
    Then maybe I should put that $ towards a Rock Shox Recon Gold Tk instead. The person is asking $185 total for those 3 things.

Anyone ever buy from there? Is that fork a direct replacement?
    That fork will work, all you need is a straight 1 1/8" steerer, 100mm of travel and the axle compatible with your hub. Have you checked eBay or any others for forks? Don't have any experience with that vendor.

mtbr member
    Could be wrong but this is what I came up with

Sram XO, XX - Shimano XTR
    Sram X9 - Shimano XT
    Sram X7 - Shimano SLX
    Sram X5 - Shimano Deore
    Sram X4 and below - Shimano Alivio and below

mtbr member
    Have you checked eBay or any others for forks?
    Not really.

Once I get the bike, start riding it, and realize the fork isn't working, THEN I'll start looking for a fork more seriously. I just thought that was a great deal for the SLX stuff and thought it was more of an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Not really.

Once I get the bike, start riding it, and realize the fork isn't working, THEN I'll start looking for a fork more seriously. I just thought that was a great deal for the SLX stuff and thought it was more of an upgrade.
    From following this thread you should already know the weaknesses of the bike, change the worse components (fork) first and then upgrade as stuff wears down or breaks.

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast