Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,800 of 2662
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    It sounds to me like you would be a medium. We sound to be very similarly sized, and there's some overlap between the two sizes, so it probably wouldn't be the end of the world if you went large, but it sounds like medium would be the better fit. My medium felt perfect the first time I jumped on it, and while I've yet to try a large I would imagine it wouldn't be nearly as "home" as my bike is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hello everyone, I just received my Rock Shox Reba RL, and, was wondering is it easy to install yourself or should I get my local bike shop that I usually deal with to install the front shocks?

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    Hello everyone, I just received my Rock Shox Reba RL, and, was wondering is it easy to install yourself or should I get my local bike shop that I usually deal with to install the front shocks?
    Is easy, all you need is a mallet, flat head screw driver, pipe cutter or hacksaw and a piece of 2" pipe. Make sure that you have the star nut before you start, if you don't get one from the LBS.

You need to remove the top cap and stem, pull the fork down and it comes out.

Remove the crown race using the screw driver and mallet, measure the steerer tube length, verify and use the pipe cutter to cut the new fork steerer tube to length, remember to measure twice before cutting, if you go short you just threw away the new fork.

After cutting, insert the crown race and push it down with the piece of pipe and the mallet until it touches the fork crown, insert into head tube, reassemble and you're good to go.

If this is your first time I would suggest doing it with a friend that knows how to or take it to the shop and learn with the shop mechanic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    only hard part is removing the crown race. Not much to work with. I had to pound in razor blade until I could fit a thin kitchen knife into it than after going with the kitchen knife I could fit a small crew driver and get it off. Back on is easy, just find a pipe that fits and give it a few hits.

the rest is just measure and cut. starnut I just used a screw driver.

Lots of videos on youtube as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got installed my race face 32 tooth and completed my drive train.

Rides good and shifts good. Does make a little cross chaining sound though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    1x10 is awesome, no chain rattle that I can hear and kills it on the trails i ride. the xt shifter is awesome, love the two up shift and love that i can use my thumb for up and down.

Well worth the doing.

now my front end is disappointing to me. if i pick up the front a few inches and drop it it rattles like a tuning fork. Raidon also clicks and if i point the bike down hill in a tech area it feels pretty bad. Wish I bought a reba and upgraded the front wheel.

Actually wish I went with a trance but to late now.

Granted it is better then the old fork but im just not to happy with the how the front feels.

mtbr member
    loving my Talon even more with the new Deity Riser handle bars!!!
    Talon owners .....-photogrid_1435980048390.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi to all. Would like to ask suggestions on what type of rear derailleur cage should I need to 2x10 set up. A medium cage or a long cage? My set up would be 38T-26T chain ring and 11T-36T cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Med

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

2015 Talon 2

Can someone give a review of the 2015 Talon 2 (27.5)? I plan on getting this bike tomorrow. I'm torn between that bike and the Trek x-caliber 7 but think I am leaning towards the Talon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    There is a few on Youtube I was also considering a Talon 2 until I decided to go bigger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Braidster View Post
    There is a few on Youtube I was also considering a Talon 2 until I decided to go bigger.
    What did you end up getting?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm traveling this weekend to purchase and want a Trance 2, and the Stance 2 is my second option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmich View Post
    Can someone give a review of the 2015 Talon 2 (27.5)? I plan on getting this bike tomorrow. I'm torn between that bike and the Trek x-caliber 7 but think I am leaning towards the Talon.
    I purchased a 2015 Giant Talon 2 27.5 last August. Last year, I really was looking for a 2014 Talon 1 27.5, but there weren't any around. The bike is very good and has served me well as a newbie. The components although not considered top notch, have held up well. My area is mostly singletrack with some climbs. I've done some slight upgrades over the past year; wheels and tires with a new suspension fork. These few upgrades have seriously enhanced the bike, giving it better handling and inspiring a little 'too much' confidence.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I was also looking at the Stance 2- awesome price and in my price range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The info i'm getting on here is to skip the Stance and save for the Trance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Heres a neat video I found on the Talon2 from Bikemanforu (this guy is fun to watch)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-P3zGLvV6Q

THe bike looks awesome. It will be mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Heres a neat video I found on the Talon2 from Bikemanforu (this guy is fun to watch)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-P3zGLvV6Q

THe bike looks awesome. It will be mine.
    Seen the video during my research and the guy actually annoys me lol. In this video I especially don't like how halfway through he goes totally off topic, and isn't talking specifically about the bike itself. It is a nice bike and actually my gf's favorite, but I've decided with help from the forum to go full suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Seen the video during my research and the guy actually annoys me lol. In this video I especially don't like how halfway through he goes totally off topic, and isn't talking specifically about the bike itself. It is a nice bike and actually my gf's favorite, but I've decided with help from the forum to go full suspension.
    I noticed that too Braidster - he went off topic on installing the crank ...oh well its as close to a review on this bike I have seen so far.........

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry for even asking but before I do it, will this fit my '13 29er-0?
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...347656&alt=web

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Talon 2 and 4 $500 comparrison

Quote Originally Posted by brandon_ View Post
    Sorry for even asking but before I do it, will this fit my '13 29er-0?
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...347656&alt=web
    It should but ask the seller if is tapered or straight, the listing doesn't have anything other than being an aluminum steerer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Got the Talon 2 this morning

I picked up the bike this morning as soon as they opened up. ITs everything I could want in a hardtail MB. I like the black with blue stripe color scheme and the matte finish (I am not a big fan of glossy finishes). The Deore shifting components work flawlessly. The shox are great too and I like the adjustable preloads. I moved the seat back a little and other than that- it fits me perfect. I got the bike in medium and 27.5 wheels. I will post pictures as soon as I can. Feels nice to get back into the mountain biking scene after a 6 year hiatus.

I picked up the bike this morning as soon as they opened up. ITs everything I could want in a hardtail MB. I like the black with blue stripe color scheme and the matte finish (I am not a big fan of glossy finishes). The Deore shifting components work flawlessly. The shox are great too and I like the adjustable preloads. I moved the seat back a little and other than that- it fits me perfect. I got the bike in medium and 27.5 wheels. I will post pictures as soon as I can. Feels nice to get back into the mountain biking scene after a 6 year hiatus.
    Nice, ride it and share some dirty pictures.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Talon owners .....-img_1276.jpgTalon owners .....-img_1273.jpg
    Heres a couple indoor shots

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Very nice congrats! Out of curiosity how big are you just so I have an idea for my personal sizing. Think I'm between a medium and a large. I'm going to the shop Saturday so hopefully I have pics to share.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I picked up a Talon 4 for riding to work, I had a heap of parts from my Trance that I've replaced so put them all on the Talon. X9 mechs, X0 shifters, S2000 crankset, renthal 50mm duo stem, wider bars, saddle, P-XC2 wheels, Maxxis Ikon 2.35s.

Shortened a RS Sektor RCT3 down to 100mm travel, waiting on an CC external lower headset bearing before I can install it.

Talon owners .....-_d8t9049-copy.jpg

Talon owners .....-_d8t9050-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Very nice congrats! Out of curiosity how big are you just so I have an idea for my personal sizing. Think I'm between a medium and a large. I'm going to the shop Saturday so hopefully I have pics to share.
    Braidster I am 5'11 with a 30" inseam. I just got home from work tonite and the bike was leaning up against the wall and it looks menacing. Looks like a tank ready to roll a blitzkrieg.... I highly recommend

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It is very nice looking from the pictures but do prefer the "matted" out look of the Talon 0. As of this morning I'm a little short for the Trance 2, but have sold of a pair of Air Jordans from my collection so I may have enough. Just gonna see what kinda deal they give me on that, or even the Reign 2 since it shows they have it on their website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hope you get what your looking for. The Reign looks awesome . The terrain here in Michigan does not really call for that breed of bike so the hardtail is the way for me to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I forgot how comfortable MB's are after riding my Talon2 the past few days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I forgot how comfortable MB's are after riding my Talon2 the past few days.
    I'm the exact opposite atm...after 20ys of not riding my ass is hurting like hell lol. Mind you my buds bike I'm using right now isn't very high end. Got enough money for a Trance and still building. Might even try for a Reign 2 if they got one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm the exact opposite atm...after 20ys of not riding my ass is hurting like hell lol. Mind you my buds bike I'm using right now isn't very high end. Got enough money for a Trance and still building. Might even try for a Reign 2 if they got one.
    I been riding hybrids the past 6 years. Their faster riding but my last bike was a carbon hybrid and I was limited as to where I wanted to ride it. Keep us informed as to your next purchase.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    After the first week back on a bike my ass was dead. Not so much now.

Really wish I went with a trance or anthem sx. The talon isnt bad but not the best for the terrain around here. Think I might grab one next summer

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Talon owners .....-0708151221b.jpg

Just picked up my new 2016 Talon 3, first bike in over a decade, looking forward to putting some miles on it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Nice bike lucky one... the Giant Talon bikes are some of the best hardtails in the world
    .... I like the color scheme on your bike...looks hot!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I know it's not really the thread for this but seeing as how I was commenting back and forth with you guys I put a down payment on a Trance 2 today, and picking it up Saturday morning . As of now I got some Spank Spike pedals and they doing the tubeless treatment to my tires. I will prolly be getting some more accessories when I get there as its a 150km drive away.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice bike lucky one... the Giant Talon bikes are some of the best hardtails in the world
    .... I like the color scheme on your bike...looks hot!
    Thank you sir, I'm pretty excited to go do some actual riding this weekend.
    Little off topic, where in MI are you from Paul?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky1malone View Post
    Thank you sir, I'm pretty excited to go do some actual riding this weekend.
    Little off topic, where in MI are you from Paul?
    I am in the Saginaw area---not much luck with trails around here but I plan on hitting the Midland MI area- there is the Midland city forest and the Vets park plus they have the Pere Marquette rail trail- looks like I will be hanging out in Midland a lot

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I know it's not really the thread for this but seeing as how I was commenting back and forth with you guys I put a down payment on a Trance 2 today, and picking it up Saturday morning . As of now I got some Spank Spike pedals and they doing the tubeless treatment to my tires. I will prolly be getting some more accessories when I get there as its a 150km drive away.
    good deal Braidster- I just checked the bike out on Giants home page. Awesome specs and full Fox suspension.
    Last edited by paulmich; 07-10-2015 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a trance and a talon, you made the right choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0708151221b.jpg 
Views:	11564 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	1000842

Just picked up my new 2016 Talon 3, first bike in over a decade, looking forward to putting some miles on it this weekend.

After seeing that i'm spewing I bought the silver and yellow one posted above. It would look nice parked next to this: in my shed:

Talon owners .....-5.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am in the Saginaw area---not much luck with trails around here but I plan on hitting the Midland MI area- there is the Midland city forest and the Vets park plus they have the Pere Marquette rail trail- looks like I will be hanging out in Midland a lot
    Small world, I also live in Saginaw, just bought my Talon from the stables. I've never been riding in Midland, it been wanting to check it out also.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakka View Post
    After seeing that i'm spewing I bought the silver and yellow one posted above. It would look nice parked next to this: in my shed:

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	903 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	1001081
    Haha yeah would have looked great, I like this color scheme a lot, your bike looks sick in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakka View Post
    I picked up a Talon 4 for riding to work, I had a heap of parts from my Trance that I've replaced so put them all on the Talon. X9 mechs, X0 shifters, S2000 crankset, renthal 50mm duo stem, wider bars, saddle, P-XC2 wheels, Maxxis Ikon 2.35s.

Shortened a RS Sektor RCT3 down to 100mm travel, waiting on an CC external lower headset bearing before I can install it.
    Nice color! Must be a '16 model right? Post a pic with the Sector when it's on the bike.
    How do you shorten a Sector? Is the procedure reversible? I'm interested as tyre clearance on my Recon gold is a bit tight with 2.3 Minions and a change to through axle would be welcome too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    Nice color! Must be a '16 model right? Post a pic with the Sector when it's on the bike.
    How do you shorten a Sector? Is the procedure reversible? I'm interested as tyre clearance on my Recon gold is a bit tight with 2.3 Minions and a change to through axle would be welcome too.
    Not sure if its 15 or 16, haven't seen that colour scheme before though. The sektor uses the 'all travel spacer' setup, its just spacers on the air shaft, easy to install and easy to remove. The spacer kit costs about $13.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Small world, I also live in Saginaw, just bought my Talon from the stables. I've never been riding in Midland, it been wanting to check it out also.
    I picked mine up at the Stable as well. Its the 3rd Giant bike in a row I bought from them. Nice to meet a fellow Saginawian- would be nice to go riding some time....

mtbr member
    I am a future owner of a 2016 Talon 27.5 4. Blue and orange is the color. I will pick it up at the end of this month. I was wondering has anybody tried the suntour trade in shock program?
    Last edited by Daholla77; 07-11-2015 at 01:17 AM. Reason: adding info

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I test drove the 2016 talon 4. It was the one I was planning on getting. The shocks were surprisingly good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Takes a few weeks for a response but shipping was fast. Honestly wish i spent more for a reba and upgraded the front wheel. The raidon I have rattles alot and makes a clicking sound on every bump. Really annoying

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    All my parts are in so sometime next week I'm going to attempt the 1x10 conversion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mca90guitar View Post
    Takes a few weeks for a response but shipping was fast. Honestly wish i spent more for a reba and upgraded the front wheel. The raidon I have rattles alot and makes a clicking sound on every bump. Really annoying
    I had the same trouble with getting a response and had to call to get it finally taken care of but after that shipping was quick. I am not having the same problems, my fork is smooth and a very much nicer fork than stock. That said, I would have considered a Reba and wheels upgrade but I'm quite sure my next frame will run a 140mm fork and so I decided to save the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLSU View Post
    All my parts are in so sometime next week I'm going to attempt the 1x10 conversion.
    I am all for moving technology forward. I have so many gear combos that I have never used nor will I ever use. A 3x10 combo is full of so many useless gears that in lots of cases you are actually getting the same gear combos-

I belive that the 1x10 combo is the new wave of the future- lets see where it goes.

mtbr member
    Talon owners .....-uploadfromtaptalk1436674261775.jpg
    Having a good ride today in trail. Fork works flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    I had the same trouble with getting a response and had to call to get it finally taken care of but after that shipping was quick. I am not having the same problems, my fork is smooth and a very much nicer fork than stock. That said, I would have considered a Reba and wheels upgrade but I'm quite sure my next frame will run a 140mm fork and so I decided to save the money.
    ill most likely order a new bike next summer, regret going hardtail.

not sure if im just going to buy the parts separate or just buy a whole bike and swap my drive train over

mtbr member
    I was wondering what main advantage of going 1x11? Would you reccomend it for a a newbie, getting back into it after a 20 year break

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Simplicity and lower weight are the only advantages it offers offers unless you are a frame designer. Whether or not you should run it depends on what gears you need on the trails you ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77 View Post
    I was wondering what main advantage of going 1x11? Would you recommend it for a a newbie, getting back into it after a 20 year break
    I would recommend a 2x10 instead of 1x11, more gearing options for the beginner or weekend warrior IMO. There's was an article about it on mtbr.

You do shave a few grams by not having a front derailleur, front shifter, cable, ring, ring bolts, etc but you'll need a clutch rear derailleur or chain guide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77 View Post
    I was wondering what main advantage of going 1x11? Would you reccomend it for a a newbie, getting back into it after a 20 year break
    im pretty happy with my 32 tooth chain ring and 11-32 xt cassette. I just like only having to work with one side and not having chain slap and rattle like I did before.

But up to you, if doing alot of up and down 2x10 or 2x11 might be better suited.

mtbr member
    only waiting for xt shifter. Im excited for my 2x10 set up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kalbones_01 View Post

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436674261775.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	1001472
    Having a good ride today in trail. Fork works flawlessly.
    Hey Kalbones how do those forks perform? Give us a review if you can

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm jealous! I still haven't gotten around to doing mine, yet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After the climb I did a few days ago, I'm glad I've got 3x10. I really needed the granny gear.

mtbr member
    Give us some part numbers off that invoice for this conversion. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just finished installing the new forks, Rockshox 2015 Sektor with 2015 Revelation dampers, travel reduced to 100mm. The fork has a tapered steerer so I used the Cane Creek external bottom cup to make it fit.

Also set the P-XC2 wheelset up as tubeless with Schwalbe Nobby Nics.

Not a fan of the Tektro brakes, might swap them out for something else if I can't get them working better.

Talon owners .....-_d8t9059-copy.jpg

Talon owners .....-_d8t9060-copy.jpg

Talon owners .....-_d8t9065-copy.jpg

edit: just took it for a quick ride, so much better than before. the front end feels 5kg lighter. The new fork works really well, should get better as I get it dialled in.
    Last edited by Hakka; 07-16-2015 at 11:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey Hakka, which submodel talon is that and where do you live?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crank feen View Post
    Hey Hakka, which submodel talon is that and where do you live?
    Its a 2016 talon 4, im in australia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Talon 1 here in the USA and the color schemes between Australia's Talon 4 and US Talon 1 are very similar. I was just curious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Talon 1 here in the USA and the color schemes between Australia's Talon 4 and US Talon 1 are very similar. I was just curious.
    Way to go on the Talon 1. I believe it is the rockshox air shock you will be getting on that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    According to the different people I've spoken to at the LBS's that rep Giants, the front fork on the 2016 is the Rockshox 30 Gold with turnkey lockout 100mm.

Is that a good fork, considering it comes standard on this bike?

I hear most forks that come standard aren't worth a damn.

BTW, this will be my first true mountain bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The Talon 1 comes with a good fork in that price range. I have the rockshox xc 30 on my Talon 2 (2015)- its a coil shock which is what I wanted and it works excellent- I cannot see swapping that out. What is the price on the 2016 Talon 1? I cannot get any info on those yet.

mtbr member
    Hello
    I was looking on a Talon 1 2016. Talon 0 2015 have a Reba which is a really nice fork. It sounds to me a downgrade the fact that the Talon 1 will comes with a Rockshox 30. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Talon 1 comes with a good fork in that price range. I have the rockshox xc 30 on my Talon 2 (2015)- its a coil shock which is what I wanted and it works excellent- I cannot see swapping that out. What is the price on the 2016 Talon 1? I cannot get any info on those yet.
    Price for Talon 1 is $1400 USD

$25 USD increase over last year but one of the components was upgraded IIRC

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Price for Talon 1 is $1400 USD

$25 USD increase over last year but one of the components was upgraded IIRC
    I remember I bought a brand new Specialized rockhopper comp back in 2005. It came with all the Deore shifting components and it came with the Rockshox Tora (air shocks) at a price of around $900 USD. You definitely got more bike for your money 10 years ago.
    Nowadays you have to spend $1,000 minimum just to get coil Rock shox. Only difference today is you get hydro disc brakes- those are definitely a life saver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just purchased the Reba RockShox last week and installed, took for ride this past weekend and what a difference from the stock SR suntour. Rides nice even over small bumps.....thanks everyone for all input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

2016 Talons on Giants website

The 2016 Talon lineup is now posted on Giants website:
    Talon 27.5 | Giant Bicycles | United States

Looks like some new components and prices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I went and picked up my 2016 Talon 1 on Monday and to say I'm ecstatic would be an understatement. Took it for a short ride that evening (maybe 2 or 3 miles) pavement and it was awesome. Can't wait to hit some trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    i have that bike you have 4 screws that connect plastic plate so unscrew them and than when all loose just guide plastic ring through pedal arm out and thats it. It seems like you gotta cut the plastic ring but if use your brain you can see than it get out through pedal arm unbroken xD

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Talon owners .....-dsc_0014.jpgTalon owners .....-img-20150727-wa0001.jpgTalon owners .....-dsc_0015.jpg

mtbr member
    Here is my latest upgrade.
    So far so good! I like the epixon fork very comfortble when in the trail. Now can easily pass the rock garden unlike the lastime using the stock suntour xct. 2x10 set up is good enough. All gears can be used now unlike the 3x9 where some other gears only added weight and very seldom I use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi all. My first post on here.
    I am enjoying my 6 week old Talon 0 2015. Done a few miles on it now. Only one major trail so far ticked off. The Dalby Forest Red route.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it and the bike performed well. Think I need to invest in a few bits though. Had a few offs mostly down to lack of experience (one of the crashes was down to my handle bars not being tight enough!). So I'm looking into buying some shin and elbow pads. Also for the bike, a chain stay guard will be needed as I have already scuffed most of the sticker off. Also need some more handle bar end stops. (fallen out already!).
    Found the 2x10 gearing spot on and the brakes (supposed to be a relatively weak area) worked great.
    The bike is light enough for me and for my first attempt I managed to blast round the full Dalby red in just under three hours which I didn't think was too bad.
    Looking forward to going again soon, with a bit more protection this time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by farmez View Post
    Hi all. My first post on here.
    I am enjoying my 6 week old Talon 0 2015. Done a few miles on it now. Only one major trail so far ticked off. The Dalby Forest Red route.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it and the bike performed well. Think I need to invest in a few bits though. Had a few offs mostly down to lack of experience (one of the crashes was down to my handle bars not being tight enough!). So I'm looking into buying some shin and elbow pads. Also for the bike, a chain stay guard will be needed as I have already scuffed most of the sticker off. Also need some more handle bar end stops. (fallen out already!).
    Found the 2x10 gearing spot on and the brakes (supposed to be a relatively weak area) worked great.
    The bike is light enough for me and for my first attempt I managed to blast round the full Dalby red in just under three hours which I didn't think was too bad.
    Looking forward to going again soon, with a bit more protection this time.
    Good deal on the Talon 0. What shock did you get with that model? I am also a new Talon owner since July 6. Really liking it so far. Its such a more comfortable ride than the hybrid/road bikes I have been riding the past 6 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    i just bought a 2015 talon 2. Picking up next week. should i possibly try to return it to get 2016? they seems similarly speced out but rockshox vs the suntour.

any advice is greatly appreciated. either way lol im sure i will be happy

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    rock shox is better

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Manitou marvel Comp fork for my talon! Looking forward to getting off the coil spring fork....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I broke my front derailleur today on my 2014 Talon. The derailleur it came with is a shimano atlus. I know this is very low end. Should I replace with the same model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    get a deore

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by igor9999 View Post
    get a deore
    xt?

mtbr member
    Yes, deore XT wold be good enough.
    Share with you my latest upgrade for my Talon 4.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi,
    Yes, agree with the ride. Even on the relatively smooth tow paths near me I'm enjoying the feel of the bike more than my hybrids (Cannodale Quick and Quick CX).
    My Talon came with the Fox Float Evo. Only 100 travel but as I'm a newbie this does me fine for now. Have to agree with some of the other posts about the fork setup though. It does seem a bit soft.
    Got Racing Ralphs thrown in too. Wasn't expecting those when I ordered it!

Have you given yours a trail debut yet then?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi,
    Yes, agree with the ride. Even on the relatively smooth tow paths near me I'm enjoying the feel of the bike more than my hybrids (Cannodale Quick and Quick CX).
    My Talon came with the Fox Float Evo. Only 100 travel but as I'm a newbie this does me fine for now. Have to agree with some of the other posts about the fork setup though. It does seem a bit soft.

Have you given yours a trail debut yet then?Hi,

Good deal on the Talon 0. What shock did you get with that model? I am also a new Talon owner since July 6. Really liking it so far. Its such a more comfortable ride than the hybrid/road bikes I have been riding the past 6 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    just deore thats enough no need for that expensive

Quote Originally Posted by rekon32 View Post
    I broke my front derailleur today on my 2014 Talon. The derailleur it came with is a shimano atlus. I know this is very low end. Should I replace with the same model?
    Get at least a Deore, SLX or XT are lighter but do exactly the same.

Hi,

Your Talon came with a Fox??? That's weird. Check the PSI's and set the appropiate sag if it is too soft.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi,

Oh yea I have done a few trail rides so far. I look under the trails section and it gives me a list of trails in my area (and some I didn't even know existed). So its fun to be checking out new trails as I don't mind driving 50 miles to a new destination. What country are you in Farmez- There is no Talon 0 in The USA nor do they come with FOX shocks.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm a little hesitant to replace my broken derailleur with a high end model because I eventually want to go to a double ring.

Which leads to my next two questions: 1) Should I just buy the entire groupset so I can have two rings instead of three? 2) Is a talon frame worth upgrading?

Quote Originally Posted by rekon32 View Post
    I'm a little hesitant to replace my broken derailleur with a high end model because I eventually want to go to a double ring.

Which leads to my next two questions: 1) Should I just buy the entire groupset so I can have two rings instead of three? 2) Is a talon frame worth upgrading?
    Worth of upgrading the frame it is, get a Deore or SLX and be done with it. They can be used on 2 or 3 ring setups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I went and picked up my 2016 Talon 1 on Monday and to say I'm ecstatic would be an understatement. Took it for a short ride that evening (maybe 2 or 3 miles) pavement and it was awesome. Can't wait to hit some trails.
    Post some pics of your ride crank feen. You own a 2016 Talon 1 that makes you a General in the Talon army

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Live in the UK paulmich. I would have been quite happy with the 1 but the extra cash for the 0 seemed worth it. Plus I like the 2015 0 colours. I've been road biking for years and have a 2011 Defy 2. (black+blue scheme) seems I'm swayed by this colour combo!

Talon owners .....-talon-specs.jpg

Oh yea I have done a few trail rides so far. I look under the trails section and it gives me a list of trails in my area (and some I didn't even know existed). So its fun to be checking out new trails as I don't mind driving 50 miles to a new destination. What country are you in Farmez- There is no Talon 0 in The USA nor do they come with FOX shocks.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Will do paulmich. This afternoon I'll try to remember to take some pics. It's a beautiful bike.

Members who have read this thread: 143