Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    Did someone say "upgrades"?
    The Talon is now officially unstoppable!
    Got some cheap 29ers and made some tires for the maze of icy paths around the city and doing catwalks on the skating rink.

Did 25k of ice path today. Heavy rolling resistance but ice no longer affects my performance.

That looks cool!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    My advice to you is to replace and upgrade as you wear the stock stuff out unless it's ruining your ride. While you get better over your first season you'll crash it, mess up gears, break levers, wear out hubs and tires, bend rims, etc. Better to do it on the stock stuff you already paid for while you figure out what suits you best instead of upgrading based on what others have found they needed.
    If you go and upgrade everything on the bike right away you might as well have just paid $1400 for that frame.
    Probably would've been better if I had heeded advice such as this... Only thing left on my Talon 0, that is still stock, is most of the drive train and the headset. And, I'm currently gearing up to upgrade all of it, too. So, may as well have just bought the lowest level Talon available at the time, and upgraded from there. Oh well... As they say, hindsight is usually always 20/20. I do really like the fact that I still have the shiny, black level 0 frame though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I think my next upgrade is wheel set for sure. Thinking some Hope hubs/Archex rims. With that and a new seat, I think I'm all set. Loving this ride.
    I recently went with Hope Hoops, with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and Stans ZTR Flow EX rims. Awesome combination. Huge performance difference over the stock Giant wheelset, too. I'm a Clyde, and the upgrade was very apparent and positive...

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    What wheels are you guys upgrading to?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Why is everyone getting Reba's? I got a recon silver tk solo air and it's fantastic. Think I paid 260 on amazon. Am I missing something or is the recon not available anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    Why is everyone getting Reba's? I got a recon silver tk solo air and it's fantastic. Think I paid 260 on amazon. Am I missing something or is the recon not available anymore?
    Have no idea on the Recon availability and is a good fork but IMO is not as good as the Reba.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Recon Gold TK is what I almost went for on mine, then switched to Reba RL at the last minute. No offense, but I wouldn't have considered the Recon Silver. There are several reasons as to why to go with the fancier fork, if you can. First, the Recon Silver has steel stanchions, so it's a lot heavier. The Reba (and Recon Gold) has aluminum stanchions. Also, the Motion Control damper in the Reba is reportedly a lot better than the TK design, found in all of the Recons. The Reba RL even has incremental lockout capability. With TK, you simply get fully-on or fully-off. There may be other reasons, too, which I'm just not thinking of at the moment and without looking up specs for each fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Recon Gold TK is what I almost went for on mine, then switched to Reba RL at the last minute. No offense, but I wouldn't have considered the Recon Silver. There are several reasons as to why to go with the fancier fork, if you can. First, the Recon Silver has steel stanchions, so it's a lot heavier. The Reba (and Recon Gold) has aluminum stanchions. Also, the Motion Control damper in the Reba is reportedly a lot better than the TK design, found in all of the Recons. The Reba RL even has incremental lockout capability. With TK, you simply get fully-on or fully-off. There may be other reasons, too, which I'm just not thinking of at the moment and without looking up specs for each fork.
    I stayed with the Recon XC30 Gold on my Talon 1, because it is a decent fork with relatively low weight. It looks like I would save about 12-13 oz for the $500 the Reba would cost me, so I will spend that money somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    What wheels are you guys upgrading to?
    Stans ZTR Flow EX laced to Hope OVO Pro2 with tubeless Conti TK 2.4 with protection were built by Jim and Chris at Hilltop
    Last edited by thegock; 02-01-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot tires

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with Hope/Stan's wheels. Search the web for the good deal and take advantage of weight savings and performance. Wheel upgrade is one of the best places to put your money.

mtbr member
    I got a good deal on a set of Easton EA70 XCT wheels. Quite a bit lighter than the stock hoops and stiffer too.

Seems that the wheel upgrade is a bit similar to the fork upgrade, a good upgrade could be more expensive than the whole bike.

Keeping an eye on Stans...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Seems that the wheel upgrade is a bit similar to the fork upgrade, a good upgrade could be more expensive than the whole bike.

Keeping an eye on Stans...
    Very true... My fork and wheel set upgrades combined were nearly a grand total. The whole bike was only $1100 when I bought it brand new. Funny how they (bikes) become major money pits very quickly. Upgrading sure is a blast though...

Might not want to wait too long on a wheel set, if you're considering one. When I bought mine, the whole deal was a little over $400. Now, they're more like a little over $500 last time I checked, which was around the first of this year. That's a huge increase, for whatever reason(s). I still say the set I got is certainly worth +/- $500 though. It feels really good to be able to instantly "feel" that you got your money's worth out of what you put it toward, too. Those Stans Flows are awesome...

A timely discussion, also... I spent some time yesterday removing a set of Schwalbe tires I mounted up on them when I first got the new wheels. For the record, Schwalbes and Stans are like oil-n-water, in my experience. Major PITA to get the Schwalbes on! One is a Nic, and the other is a Ralph. The Nic wasn't too terribly bad, but the Ralph was... I shouldn't use that kind of language here! Anyway, put a new set of Conti Mountain Kings on instead. The Contis were a breeze to mount up. No more Schwalbes for me. Anyone want the set for a really great price? Check for them on ebay within the next few days...

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

Rebas are really nice if you can swing them... I was on a budget and got a Recon Gold TK for $238. Totally worth it in every respect.

Got Mavic CrossRide for $230 so my kid bike looses some weight, have good previous Mavic experience with CrossRock and CrossMax so feel comfortable with the choice; will still keep an eye on Stans for me.

After researching weights this is what I came up with, S-XC2 2367g vs CrossRide 2020g, shaved 347g off the bike on just the wheels plus the previous weight savings on fork and crankset; my kid is going to be a happy camper.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 02-04-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Anyone know what the max tire size will fit onto my Talon 29er 2? Wondering if I can get some Chunky Monkey's on there in 2.4 or not. If it makes a difference, I have a Recon Gold TK up front.

squish, squish in da fish
    i say you should be fine, i ran a set of true 2.4 tires last winter and was fine. the CM's are on the same casing as an ardent 2.4. i've never owned an ardent so i couldn't tell you how true to size they run. i'm going to run a CM enduro 2.4 upfront w/ a smorgasbord trail extreme 2.25 on rear. however it won't be on my talon. gunna take that rubber and wrap a set of velocity dually's i just built for my nimble 9. by the way i hope you already have your CM cuz i've been waiting for planet x to restock for quite some time.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Thanks for the info. I don't have the tires yet...there was a thread about tires with a link to CM's in stock, but I can't find it now. Which is a dagger because it also had link to some cheap tires in 2.4 (I think) that were some relative no-name brand. $15 each I think...can't remember and can't locate the thread.

plz post it up when you do find the link for CM's. i put off ordering CM/smorgasbord by 1 week and now they've been out of stock in the compounds i want for weeks now. those $15 tires were pricepoint or jenson i think.

edit: the tires i saw for $15 are duro switch 2.35 and duro gremlin 2.2 at jenson. so i don't think these are what you are talking about

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Talon owners .....-img_12537598109468.jpeg

My 2012 Talon 2. I purchased it around August 2012 and then subsequently left for a 9 month deployment to Afghanistan in February 2013. I am very out of shape at this point trying to get back into it. Anyways I have made a few upgrades since that picture. Of course the reflectors are gone plus...

Bontrager rear tire
    Ghetto tubeless front and rear
    SPD pedals

I am hoping to go to a 1x9 setup since I never shift on the front gears as it stands now probably for the #1 reason my front derailleur is never working and #2 no real need. Also I would like to upgrade my fork to something that isn't so squishy. I'm 6'2" 215lbs and even on full stiffness there is way too much play in my fork. The only problem is I'm not too terribly mechanically minded when it comes to bikes so I have no real idea where to start with this stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLSU View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_12537598109468.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	868368

My 2012 Talon 2. I purchased it around August 2012 and then subsequently left for a 9 month deployment to Afghanistan in February 2013. I am very out of shape at this point trying to get back into it. Anyways I have made a few upgrades since that picture. Of course the reflectors are gone plus...

Bontrager rear tire
    Ghetto tubeless front and rear
    SPD pedals

I am hoping to go to a 1x9 setup since I never shift on the front gears as it stands now probably for the #1 reason my front derailleur is never working and #2 no real need. Also I would like to upgrade my fork to something that isn't so squishy. I'm 6'2" 215lbs and even on full stiffness there is way too much play in my fork. The only problem is I'm not too terribly mechanically minded when it comes to bikes so I have no real idea where to start with this stuff.
    Nice bike! Keep reading and learning on bike-related stuff, if you have the time. You'll be surprised how much you learn over time. We're about the same height, but I have about 20 more pounds on you. I'd get rid of that torture device (aka Giant saddle) ASAP, if I were you. Upgrading the fork is pretty much a given, if you plan to hang onto the bike. Everything else, as you see fit...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Manitou Tower Pro 29er Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.comFor those of you who have upgraded your fork what do you think about this deal??

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Manitou Tower Pro 29er Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.comFor those of you who have upgraded your fork what do you think about this deal??
    Excellent deal! But, they don't show an option that I would go with, if I were you. Pretty sure your original fork has 100 mm travel. I would stick with that, if I were you. The 80 mm should work without any problems, but I wouldn't do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    On the drop down menu isn't that the QR 100 taper?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'll give you a bit of my 20/20 hindsight now, too. You're a bigger dude, like me. Ask yourself how long you plan to keep this particular bike. If your serious answer is probably quite a while, then I would consider eventually getting a better wheelset, too, if I were you. My OEM set was more flexy than I like. When I bought my fork, I wasn't planning to get a different wheelset, too. The thought had not crossed my mind at that point. Now, I have both; new fork and wheelset. Guess what? I could've had a thru-axle front-end, IF I had planned better! My new hubs can be swapped out to thru-axle, if I want, but I'm not buying another fork (at least not for a long time, hopefully). Later on, I'll go with thru-axle front-end. So, in hindsight, do you plan on keeping this bike for a good while? If so, consider a new, better wheelset at your body build/type. And, get a thru-axle front-end when you do; both wheelset and fork. The downside to that is that you more or less have to shell out a lot of money at one time, to get both a new wheelset and fork at the same time. Not a big deal to not go this route, either, but it would be more advantageous to you. I'm loving my current wheelset/fork combo, and 9 mm QR set-up, well enough. But, if you have the option, then...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    On the drop down menu isn't that the QR 100 taper?
    Yeah... But, you don't want the tapered one. Your head tube is straight. Verify that though, before you commit to anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That's right! Thanks for the reminder I will email them and ask.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's right! Thanks for the reminder I will email them and ask.
    Your existing fork "should be" a 1.125" straight steer, 100 mm travel, with standard 9 mm QR dropouts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am seriously considering buying a Talon 1 (27.5) to replace my 26 hardtail Cannondale, which was just stolen. I really would prefer another 26, but no one seems to make one. I REALLY don't want a 29er. Is there any reason I should not buy the Talon 1? It is a bit more expensive than I would like, but not intolerably so.

Thanks

mtbr member

Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    I am seriously considering buying a Talon 1 (27.5) to replace my 26 hardtail Cannondale, which was just stolen. I really would prefer another 26, but no one seems to make one. I REALLY don't want a 29er. Is there any reason I should not buy the Talon 1? It is a bit more expensive than I would like, but not intolerably so.

Thanks
    I don't have the Talon 1, but I came from a 26 specialized hardrock and am now on a Talon 27.5 4. I would say the bike with 27.5 wheels still feels nimble like a 26 and not so awkward like some of my friends 29ers I've been on.
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wacobkr View Post
    I don't have the Talon 1, but I came from a 26 specialized hardrock and am now on a Talon 27.5 4. I would say the bike with 27.5 wheels still feels nimble like a 26 and not so awkward like some of my friends 29ers I've been on.
    One of my good friends came out to visit me and ride with me a while back. He brought his Giant FS 26er with him. I got on it for a few minutes in a paved parking lot, and that's all I could stand of it. After riding my Talon 29er for quite some time, the 26er felt way too squirrely and unstable to me. Give me my 29er all day, any day, eight days a week! I haven't tried a 27.5er yet though...

Thanks
    Check out the Talon 27.5, quick like a 26er but plows like a 29er.

mtbr member
    Check out the Talon 27.5, quick like a 26er but plows like a 29er.
    +1 on this, especially if you're looking for a 26er...few companies make anything decent with 26" wheels anymore.

bruce does your homeowners cover your bike theft? it's definitely worth looking into. some HO's cover it automatically, but some need a rider added. definitely add your new bike, i added 3 bikes for $43 a year

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    bruce does your homeowners cover your bike theft? it's definitely worth looking into. some HO's cover it automatically, but some need a rider added. definitely add your new bike, i added 3 bikes for $43 a year
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, between the deductible and the fact I used the bike, it is not worthwhile to make the claim and risk an increase in premium. I will, however, consider specific insurance on any new bike I buy.

you might want to look into the deductible deal. i don't have a deduct for the bikes and my HO's deductible is $1000 for the actual contents/house and there wouldn't be an increase for my premium. i talked with my agent for quite sometime on all of this. most claims on HO's won't jack up the rates, not like car insurance would. 5 years ago my dog was in my yard and a kid teased him and was bit. my insurance ended up paying that effer 90 large & no increase in rates for me. just saying it wouldn't hurt to talk to the agent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    HI

I am thinking in getting The new Talon 27.5. would it be good for a Trail/AM Setup, with 120-140mm fork and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by albxor View Post
    HI

I am thinking in getting The new Talon 27.5. would it be good for a Trail/AM Setup, with 120-140mm fork and stuff?
    Don't think so, is a XC bike with geometry based on a 100mm fork. It could take up to 120mm but the handling of the bike changes for the worse, I tried it and didn't like the nervous feel while climbing.

Don't get me wrong, is a very capable frame but is not intended for AM riding; for trail/am Giant doesn't have any hardtails only has the Trance and Reign which are full sussers.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Don't think so, is a XC bike with geometry based on a 100mm fork. It could take up to 120mm but the handling of the bike changes for the worse, I tried it and didn't like the nervous feel while climbing.

Don't get me wrong, is a very capable frame but is not intended for AM riding; for trail/am Giant doesn't have any hardtails only has the Trance and Reign which are full sussers.
    I bought a new Chromag Trailmaster saddle not too long ago, and decided to checkout Chromag (the company) a little more via the web. I had not heard anything of them before that. Turns out they're a pretty cool outfit, and they offer quite a bit of stuff, including various frames. I remember reading about several hardtail frames they make that are intended for AM use, too. I don't recall seeing a 27.5er version though. Their frames are handmade in Canada as well, if I recall correctly. HUGE dollars involved to acquire one, compared to a Talon. Supposedly super nice, high quality frames though...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    HI

Here you go: Chromag Bikes - Samurai 65. 650B / 27.5"

Dunno how much the frame would run, but guessing likely between $1.5k - $2K...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I bought a new Chromag Trailmaster saddle not too long ago, and decided to checkout Chromag (the company) a little more via the web. I had not heard anything of them before that. Turns out they're a pretty cool outfit, and they offer quite a bit of stuff, including various frames. I remember reading about several hardtail frames they make that are intended for AM use, too. I don't recall seeing a 27.5er version though. Their frames are handmade in Canada as well, if I recall correctly. HUGE dollars involved to acquire one, compared to a Talon. Supposedly super nice, high quality frames though...
    That's what I am looking for, however I have limited budget, so I thought the talon frame could be an alternative.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's what I am looking for, however I have limited budget, so I thought the talon frame could be an alternative.
    I'm pretty sure I read that those Chromag frames are steel, hence their ability to handle AM use. Like DiRt DeViL stated earlier, I doubt that the aluminum Talon frame would be a very good alternative choice.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You might look at what Salsa Cycles is currently offering, too. I know they have a 29er hardtail frame that's made of steel, and likely stronger (El Mariachi, I think it is). Salsa would be cheaper than Chromag, also. I don't know if Salsa has brought out anything in a hardtail 27.5er though...

Look for an used Santa Cruz Chameleon or something similar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Thanks
    Hello Bruce, I have a Talon 27.5-4; and, its great. I take it thru trails, over roots, stumps, rocks, etc. The bike handles very well-maneuverability is great. I used to have a Giant 26", but the 27.5 is awesome...just like Dirt Devil had indicated about plowing thru like a 29er. I tested few (Giant) 29er's, and they are great too, but the bike seemed to be to big for me. The 27.5-4 has some great reviews out there. When I was at my LBS for a quick cable tension, a Giant rep was there, and, him and I were talking for awhile. he told me (not because he's an Giant rep) of the Talon 27.5's the (1-model to the 4-model) the 4-model is the better one. If you decide to keep the bike for awhile you can certainly make many upgrades. Keep the bike stock for now and as parts begin to wear then start making you changes/upgrades. Down the road I will be in the process to change out the front forks to a Fox or Rockshox.
    Enjoy....

no, the 4 is the lower end model with 1 being the top & 5 is the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    no, the 4 is the lower end model with 1 being the top & 5 is the bottom.
    Was thinking the same thing, usually the lower the number the better part spec it has.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Was thinking the same thing, usually the lower the number the better part spec it has.
    Not disagreeing what your saying; just quoting from what the rep had told me. The 4-model had a better rating-testing wise. I test rode both bikes (both are good)The only difference I foresaw between the 1-model and 4-model was the shocks....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    Not disagreeing what your saying; just quoting from what the rep had told me. The 4-model had a better rating-testing wise. I test rode both bikes (both are good)The only difference I foresaw between the 1-model and 4-model was the shocks....
    Lower the level number, better the everything (that's really important anyway; not just the fork). Frame the same (likely), except for look/color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Lower the level number, better the everything (that's really important anyway; not just the fork). Frame the same (likely), except for look/color.
    your correct about the lower the level number-better everything - no disagreement there...I was just trying to compare the two models, the reviews from owners, from different bike organizations, research.