Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    Define "next to nothing?" (
    They have air forks on the $200 range on their loyalty program, check it out if you want to stay with Suntour.

Ebay will be your best bet on a tight budget, look for Zocchi TST2, RS Reba or XFusion Slide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New question here.

- 2012 Giant Talon 1 -

So, I have developed a slight "tick" when my right pedal is straight forward. LBS thought it was a pedal issue. Tried alternate pedals, but the sound is still there. Its a thumping tick sound audible from someone riding along side of me. Doesn't happen every revolution, but is consistent as to where in the rotation it happens. Seems more frequent when putting more pressure on the outside of the pedals. My thoughts, bottom bracket.

What am I looking for to replace this? I know its a sealed cart, so its a replacement job. What specs am I looking for and what is decent (not junk, but not $75)? Saw the Shimano Ultegra 6700 Bottom Bracket for like 25 on amazon. This work?

Anyone want to help me figure this out?

Go Speed Racer
    - 2012 Giant Talon 1 -

So, I have developed a slight "tick" when my right pedal is straight forward. LBS thought it was a pedal issue. Tried alternate pedals, but the sound is still there. Its a thumping tick sound audible from someone riding along side of me. Doesn't happen every revolution, but is consistent as to where in the rotation it happens. Seems more frequent when putting more pressure on the outside of the pedals. My thoughts, bottom bracket.

What am I looking for to replace this? I know its a sealed cart, so its a replacement job. What specs am I looking for and what is decent (not junk, but not $75)? Saw the Shimano Ultegra 6700 Bottom Bracket for like 25 on amazon. This work?

Anyone want to help me figure this out?
    I have a 2011 Talon and I had a similar issue. It was the bottom bracket. I just picked up a set of the SLX cranks (last years model on sale) but that may be a bit out of your price range. Nice side effect of my change - I shaved off a POUND of my rig.

squish, squish in da fish
    '12 T1 here & had same issue. LBS torqued the BB more & it went away. it almost felt like the frame was creaking. I even lubed the seat post thinking that was it as it was dry. Like mtbdennis said, slx cranks baby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So, I'm new to this, but can I not just replace the sealed cart bottom bracket? Im not really looking to upgrade or anything at this point. I would LOVE to shave weight, and get better components, but not for $200 just for cranks and BB (which is what slx cranks look like they cost).

If the prob is in the BB why replace the cranks? Can you not just get another BB?

Go Speed Racer
    So, I'm new to this, but can I not just replace the sealed cart bottom bracket? Im not really looking to upgrade or anything at this point. I would LOVE to shave weight, and get better components, but not for $200 just for cranks and BB (which is what slx cranks look like they cost).

If the prob is in the BB why replace the cranks? Can you not just get another BB?
    Understood... Yes you can replace just the bottom bracket. I shopped around and ended up getting them for around $120 on sale.

dealwagon, PM me if u want mine. U just pay s&h, im assuming u have a square taper?

mtbr member
    Try adjusting the BB cups, if still sounds just replace the BB, not an expensive fix unless you replace the entire crankset as many of us have done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Finally was able to snap a couple pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought my 2013 Giant Talon 29er just this Feberury. Been riding around my house and on a couple of local trails. Nothing crazy. Today, I was riding before I had work, climed a steep hill with a couple of dips. Made it to the top of the hill, decided to turn back since, it was getting too late. Came back down the same way, this time with more speed, obviously. Had to turn in a little corner, and had to hit this dip. Right when I was hit the dip with a little jump, I saw 3 ladies coming up the hill. I hit the break, but since THE FREAKING TIRES WERE SO THIN, I started sliding. There was no grip, had to let go of the bike to the left or hit one of the older ladies. I let the bike go, it hit the wooden post, not exactly sure how it hit it, since I fell off and started sliding. I got back up, the hikers were sympathetic, and helped me up. Nothing major, just a couple of scratch and bruises on the arm. Bike is however totaled. Frame is bent in a bit. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that my LBS can help me work this out with Giant. Be careful with those wheels that come on the bike..it can do a lot of damage.

Your Best Friend

Re: Talon owners .....

Sorry to hear that. Let me say a couple things though. You're obviously upset but it is no ones fault but your own. Not your tires for sure. Your LBS may be sympathetic but it for sure isn't a warranty issue. You should look into their crash replacement frames. They are significantly discounted for Giant customers.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'll follow this up a little. The small block 8's that come on a Talon (or at least that's what came on my wife's talon) aren't really a problem, at least not on trails around here. Be aware that for this bit that follows, I'm ready to accept that you're going to be angry at me, but I've said this same thing to people's faces and dealt with them being angry, it didn't make me wrong then, and it's not going to make me wrong now.

You need to learn some trail etiquette. That's the root of the problem. Bravo that you didn't kill some old lady. But I guarantee they're telling all their friends how dangerous these people who ride bikes on trails are. The simple fact is you were riding too fast. Your inability to control (stop) your bike is the proof of that. You should never be out of control on trails. Never. You're lucky your bike is all that got messed up.

And before you insist it's the tires - if they're that bad, surely you'd noticed before? Why haven't you replaced them? I'll repeat this - you were out of control. Please, ride within your ability to control the bike before you hurt yourself or someone else, and possibly do all the mountain bikers in your area the dis-service of getting bikes banned from trails because "they're dangerous."

mtbr member
    All versions of the 2013 Giant Talon come with the same tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 29x2.1

mtbr member
    They started with CrossMark then changed to Small Block and now the Rapid Rob, as you should know all tires behave different and are meant for certain types of terrain and ridding style. For example, the CrossMarks suck on mud, snow or anything wet but excel on dry hardpack so don't blame your tires for what happened, could have been lack of grip, poor braking technique, poor bike handling, excess speed or a combination of many factors.

Sorry to read that your bike paid the price but consider yourself lucky, hurting one of those old ladies could have been much much worse (think liability and lawsuit).

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Question for you talon owners. I'm looking at getting the 2013 talon 0 pretty soon. Comes with a RockShox XC30 fork. Doesn't seem to be considered a great fork. I'm wondering, would this fork: ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork 100mm White Shocks NEW: 350166 Random Bike Parts be compatible with the Talon? Seems like a pretty good price, for a decent fork.
    I bought this fork and love it. You can get the Raidon through the Suntour upgrade program for $175 or the Epicon for $250... But you would need to convert to 15mm ta for the Epicon.
    The Raidon is a nice fork at a great price point, but if you want to spend a few extra bucks on the Recon, you'll shave off a couple of pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Has anyone bought anything from the "Random Bike Parts" mentioned above? That's a great price on the Recon, but I'm leery of unknown websites. Thanks.
    Jeff
    '12 Giant Talon 2
    '13 Giant Trance X1 29er

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Picked up my 2012 Talon 0 in Sept '12 for $800 at my lbs, rode it till the cold was unbearable then I found this forum and have been learning so much about my new ride. I'm 5'10" and 225lbs and have put about 260kms on it already. I have to agree that the first thing any owner of the Talon line should upgrade is the fork. I just ordered the Reba RL dual air 100mm at price point for $319 and can't wait to get them on ASAP.
    I've also:
    pulled the big ring & put a bash guard
    Changed the pedals for Crank Bros Candy3s
    Switched the Kenda Small Block 8s for Maxxis Ignitors (the 8s were terrible in any wet situation)

I love this bike but my reference point is an older diamondback odyssey with bed spring shocks.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    I hit the break, but since THE FREAKING TIRES WERE SO THIN, I started sliding. There was no grip, had to let go of the bike to the left or hit one of the older ladies.
    That really sucks what happened to you and I'm glad you're ok. My lbs told me about the Kenda's characteristics before I bought it and offered to swap them out. I declined so he told me that because I'm a bigger guy (225lbs) I should consider a chunkier tire when the weather gets worse. One week later (3 trail trips) I was back at the shop looking at tires. Cotharyus' post is one that every new or seasoned rider should read

too many changes since july

'12 talon 1

charge spoon saddle
    RF ride post
    nukeproof warhead 50mm stem
    " " 740mm bar
    yeti grips
    elixir XO brakes (warrantied from elixir 1's) still suck arse
    oh don't forget the bell, niece & nephew got me
    tower pro 120/x-firm spring w/ MILO
    velocity blunt up front/blunt sl out back, both wrapped in bonty 29-4 2010 model (mike c laced)
    am classic 20mm front hub
    pro2 evo rear hub
    1x10 zee der and shifter
    slx 11-36 cassette & slx crank 36t, ordered 32t RF ring
    hope chainguide
    hope f20 pedals
    MRP LRP bash/tensioner w/ blackspire roller

whew! love this bike so much now. there isn't much in my area i can't climb. think however its time for me to hang this frame up as i just ordered an N9. this frame has very good geo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-dscn3082.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dscn3083.jpg  

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013

Shimano SLX 665

I'm still learning about all of the parts on my 2012 Talon 0 but as far as bottom brackets go, what am I looking for when upgrading to the Shimano SLX? Price point has the Shimano SLX M665 2x9 Crankset for $175 with discounts and I was wondering what the difference is between the 170mm & 175mm. Yes, I know know 5mm lol - but which one fits for the Talon best?
    Also, if any one knows how the M665 set is. I could hold out and get the M675 if the difference is worth it

the 5mm diff is in arm length. i'd go w/ 175 as its a bit more leverage. the 665 is best bang for your buck/weight savings. supposedly stronger than the "better" xt group. you'll shave close to a pound off your bike with the slx. if you install crankset, put one shim on the drive side and chainline will be golden. $175 is a good deal as i paid like $225

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    the 5mm diff is in arm length. i'd go w/ 175 as its a bit more leverage. the 665 is best bang for your buck/weight savings. supposedly stronger than the "better" xt group. you'll shave close to a pound off your bike with the slx. if you install crankset, put one shim on the drive side and chainline will be golden. $175 is a good deal as i paid like $225
    Thanks for the quick response & install tips, hope to have everything in the next couple weeks

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    oh don't forget the bell, niece & nephew got me
    Great looking bike fishwrinkle!
    The bell is hilarious! Your niece & nephew are so thoughtful!

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    So happy to see someone with the Reba's on their Talon 0! Looks great! I was a little unsure of how they would look as I just ordered them yesterday, but seeing it now - I'm happy. I think I might get the shift & brake lines replaced with white to go along with the fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan13 View Post
    I'm still learning about all of the parts on my 2012 Talon 0 but as far as bottom brackets go, what am I looking for when upgrading to the Shimano SLX? Price point has the Shimano SLX M665 2x9 Crankset for $175 with discounts and I was wondering what the difference is between the 170mm & 175mm. Yes, I know know 5mm lol - but which one fits for the Talon best?
    Also, if any one knows how the M665 set is. I could hold out and get the M675 if the difference is worth it
    The 5mm difference is in the crank arm lenght, if you ride a small frame the 170mm should be fine, 175mm will be too long and may hit stuff on the down stroke. If you ride a M or L 175 is the correct length. 180mm is for tall people or with very long legs.

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast