Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,700 of 2643
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    what park tool will I need to remove the cog? they have 2, one for cassettes and one for free wheel?

looks like I can get everything for under $100 and start learning.

mtbr member
    I have ordered this one. Should be here early next week.

Park Tool Cassette Lockring Tool FR5 | Chain Reaction Cycles

squish, squish in da fish
    free wheel's are mainly bmx and specific ss bikes, anything with a cassette uses a free hub. rusty has the right link and don't forget a chain whip

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Newbie here with a 27.5 Tallon 4.

mtbr member
    Hi guys. Im will now go to upgrade my group set to SLX. Can anyone help to advise me which front derailleur will match? Im riding a Talon 4, 27.5
    [Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1433138404079.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  12.1 KB
    Option #1Talon owners .....-uploadfromtaptalk1433138433892.jpg
    Option #2

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think the first one for the 10speed dynasty. second could be for older 9speeds

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    First one is top swing and the second bottom swing, the Talon comes with a top swing top pull front derailleur. The style is named after the moving part in relation to the clamp and from where the cable pulls.

Up front the thing to keep in mind is how many rings you'll be using and adjust the limit screws according to that, a 3 ring setup is slightly different from a 2 ring setup and off course no front derailleur is needed for a single ring setup even thou may be used as a guide.

mtbr member
    Thanks Dirt Devil. Here is a photo of my stock derailleur currently installed in my Talon. A shimano Altus looks like the same with the 2nd one I posted earlier. I am still confuse which one should I pick. Talon owners .....-uploadfromtaptalk1433165152002.jpgTalon owners .....-uploadfromtaptalk1433165503189.jpg

Good thing you posted the pics, it is a top pull bottom swing.

I like those a lot.

mtbr member
    Talon owners .....-img_0146.jpg

Recieved the remainder of my 1x10 conversion parts yesterday. Only just realised that CRC have sent me a front shifter and not the rear. So I've had to order an SLX shifter locally. Will use that until I can sort out the replacement from CRC. Then the SLX will go onto the wife's bike when that get a 10 speed upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just ordered my Raidon fork. Had to email nick hannah with the info and he took care of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyT47 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	992978

Recieved the remainder of my 1x10 conversion parts yesterday. Only just realised that CRC have sent me a front shifter and not the rear. So I've had to order an SLX shifter locally. Will use that until I can sort out the replacement from CRC. Then the SLX will go onto the wife's bike when that get a 10 speed upgrade.
    Did those spacers come with the RF N/W chainring? Is that a 32T? From what I was tracking if you had a 32T or higher with a 104 BCD crank you didn't need spacers only if you went with a 30T.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLSU View Post
    Did those spacers come with the RF N/W chainring? Is that a 32T? From what I was tracking if you had a 32T or higher with a 104 BCD crank you didn't need spacers only if you went with a 30T.
    No I had to buy the shims sperate. I got them so I could run the standard length chainring bolts. Didn't really want to play around with the short aluminium ones so I went with the race face steel bolts. Yes it is a 32T, it also depend on the thickness of the tabs on the cranks. Mine are 3.4mm thick. The chart on the raceface website explains it pretty well.

http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/30T...LITY_CHART.pdf

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    No I had to buy the shims sperate. I got them so I could run the standard length chainring bolts. Didn't really want to play around with the short aluminium ones so I went with the race face steel bolts. Yes it is a 32T, it also depend on the thickness of the tabs on the cranks. Mine are 3.4mm thick. The chart on the raceface website explains it pretty well.

http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/30T...LITY_CHART.pdf
    The chainring bolts came with the chainring right?

mtbr member
    No had to buy those as well, they were only $7. I guess they assume you can reuse the ones you have.

Race Face Outer Ring Bolt Set | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    fork should be here tueday, also went ahead and bought a stand so I can start learning how to do my own work.

Debating if I should install the fork myself or have the shop do it. Looks pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by mca90guitar View Post
    fork should be here tueday, also went ahead and bought a stand so I can start learning how to do my own work.

Debating if I should install the fork myself or have the shop do it. Looks pretty straight forward.
    The fork install isn't that complicated, a pipe cutter, mallet and a flat screw driver is basically what you need. Remember to measure twice and cut once.

mtbr member
    Talon owners .....-20150606_100218-1024x768-.jpgTalon owners .....-20150606_100227-1024x768-.jpgTalon owners .....-20150606_100241-1024x768-.jpgTalon owners .....-20150606_100302-1024x768-.jpg

Finished of the 1x10 conversion last night. Hopefully get a ride in tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The fork install isn't that complicated, a pipe cutter, mallet and a flat screw driver is basically what you need. Remember to measure twice and cut once.
    yeah, the star nut and the metal piece the bearing sits on are the only things that concern me.

Shop said they would do it for $10 so I might just go that route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150606_100218 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	993807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150606_100227 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	993808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150606_100241 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	993809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150606_100302 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	993810

Finished of the 1x10 conversion last night. Hopefully get a ride in tomorrow morning.
    Did you keep the existing shifter cable or replace the entire thing along with the housing?

mtbr member
    Did you keep the existing shifter cable or replace the entire thing along with the housing?
    I replaced the cable and the rear section of the housing only.

mtbr member
    Managed to get out to the trails this morning and test out the new drivetrain, and I must say I am very happy with this setup. The gearing is perfect for the trails I ride and the shifting is smooth and precise. The biggest surprise came from the XT shadow plus RD. It is just so quiet!

There is a little cross chaining noise at the chain ring when in the top 2 cogs of the cassette. But overall I found myself using the middle 3rd of the cassette for most of the ride.

I've attached the strava data to give you an idea of the terrian.

Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Pallarenda | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Quick pic from one of the lookouts along the trail....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-img_0155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Managed to get out to the trails this morning and test out the new drivetrain, and I must say I am very happy with this setup. The gearing is perfect for the trails I ride and the shifting is smooth and precise. The biggest surprise came from the XT shadow plus RD. It is just so quiet!

There is a little cross chaining noise at the chain ring when in the top 2 cogs of the cassette. But overall I found myself using the middle 3rd of the cassette for most of the ride.

I've attached the strava data to give you an idea of the terrian.

Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Pallarenda | Times and Records | Strava
    2k of climb in 15mi is tough! I'm debating whether to go to a 32t or 30t for the chainring because sometimes I feel now with my 32t some of the upper gears are too granny and free spinning, but then also I shift into the 22t and some of the mid gears feel more efficient.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    2k of climb in 15mi is tough! I'm debating whether to go to a 32t or 30t for the chainring because sometimes I feel now with my 32t some of the upper gears are too granny and free spinning, but then also I shift into the 22t and some of the mid gears feel more efficient.
    Isn't the stock triple 24/34/42?

This has been my hold up on going 1x. I am definitely using my 24t chainring and 36t cassette combo on some of my climbs so I'm not sure if the 30t ring will cut it. Or maybe I need to drop 20 lbs and htfu.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    Isn't the stock triple 24/34/42?

This has been my hold up on going 1x. I am definitely using my 24t chainring and 36t cassette combo on some of my climbs so I'm not sure if the 30t ring will cut it. Or maybe I need to drop 20 lbs and htfu.
    My 2012 Talon 2 is a 22/32/42 according to the giant website. I haven't physically counted it though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah, the 4 has the gearing I mentioned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    fork just arrived, looks nice. Doesnt come with a star nut or axle so save or order those if you go through the suntour program.

probably get it installed friday

fork just arrived, looks nice. Doesnt come with a star nut or axle so save or order those if you go through the suntour program.

probably get it installed friday
    You almost always have to supply the start nut and if your axle is 9mm you already have it in your hub. Only QR15 and QR20 forks come with the axles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You almost always have to supply the start nut and if your axle is 9mm you already have it in your hub. Only QR15 and QR20 forks come with the axles.
    Never mind then

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got home from work last night and had a nice surprise waiting, my new bike stand and shock pump arrived

So this morning I decided to tackle the fork swap by myself.

Came apart easy, then I got to the crown race. That was freaking hard to remove. Had to hammer razor blades under it until I had enough space for a thin kitchen knife then finally I could get a screw driver under it and get it off. By far the hardest part of the job.

To install it I found i pipe in my garage, so I put two layers of gorilla tape on the edge and just tapped the fork on it a few times and it was set. Next I figured out my brother didnt have the pipe cutter I needed or a guide for the hack saw. Off to harbor freight. Found cutter for $5.

After measuring it about 10 times and uninstalling and reinstalling a few times I clamped the fork into the bike stand and went at it. Cheapo cutter worked well. Took a file to the edge and sanded it smooth. Reinstalled to check then time for the star nut. This part wasnt to bad, just starting it straight but once it was in it was easy to get straight and all line up. Added some grease, reinstalled it all.

Overall job can be tackled easy in a decent amount of time, crown race removal was he longest part of the job lol.

Cheapo bike stand seems to work pretty good as well. Not perfect but for $50 I didn't expect it to be.

Here it is now, road it around the house and it feel much nicer so far. Will take it on the trail tomorrow and get it dialed in more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The OE fork is crap, well documented in this thread.
    The frame is straight or non tapered, 1 1/8" all the way.
    Cane Creek makes an adapter to run a tapered fork on a non tapered headtube, believe is the XX series and in your case the ID is 44mm.
    For fork options you could try the Suntour loyalty program or look hard for Rock Shox, Manitou and Fox.
    Dirt Devil, I am having the same issue as Gamebulldog; found out that I have a 1-1/8" straight steerer tube; its been hard trying to find a very good shock like reba for my talon-4 27.5. So, cane creek makes an adapter for my bike that I can purchase a tapered shock? is it possible for you to recommend which one to bet fi my bike(Talon-4, 27.5 2013/2014 model)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How do you like the Raidon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I also started ordering for my 1x10 conversion. I went with this for the cranks/chainring:

Race Face Ride 1X NW Crankset OE > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Cranksets | Jenson USA - Mobile

I also looked at the m771 11-36 for the cassette but the $47 vs the $12 for an HG50 I went with the HG50.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How do you like the Raidon?
    Very limited experience on it so far. So far I find it better then the stock one.

Still a low end fork and has some movement in the stanchions if you really try to rattle it. But it just looks beefier all around then the stock while dropping a few pounds.

For what I need it to do im sure ill be happy with it for the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just got back, im happy with it. Feels much better on the trail esp on drops and jumps. Front end is easier to get up and feels more stable then before.

Overall for the $210 it cost I cant complain.

Now im considering doing the 1x10 conversion as well just so I have something to work on. Working on the bike is just about as much fun as riding it lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    so what do I need to do the 1x set up? think im just going to do 1x9 for awhile, just paid $70 to have my derailleur replaced a few weeks back and want to ride it for a little

Only use the middle one up front anyways. Can I use the stock crankset or should I upgrade the whole thing to something like this

Race Face Ride 1X NW Crankset OE > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Cranksets | Jenson USA

WillWorkForTrail
    For you folks looking for fork alternatives and options that use a straight steer, I want to point something out. Don't overlook the Manitou Marvel. I picked up a Marvel Comp with MILO (remote lock out) for $400, which I know is more than the Suntour upgrade, but it's a better fork too. In fact, I may like this fork better than my Reba. It's also available in 100 or 120, and can be adjusted down to 80 if you feel that way. Just thought I'd throw it out there because I see a lot of questions about forks on this thread, I didn't pick it up for my wife's talon, I bought it for my single speed. My shoulders decided I was too old for a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    For you folks looking for fork alternatives and options that use a straight steer, I want to point something out. Don't overlook the Manitou Marvel. I picked up a Marvel Comp with MILO (remote lock out) for $400, which I know is more than the Suntour upgrade, but it's a better fork too. In fact, I may like this fork better than my Reba. It's also available in 100 or 120, and can be adjusted down to 80 if you feel that way. Just thought I'd throw it out there because I see a lot of questions about forks on this thread, I didn't pick it up for my wife's talon, I bought it for my single speed. My shoulders decided I was too old for a rigid fork.
    Thank you Cotharyus, also, which would be a better fit a 100 or 120

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    was looking at that one as well. But decided if I was going to go $400+ I would also want to go 15mm axle and new wheels at the same time.

mtbr member
    so what do I need to do the 1x set up? think im just going to do 1x9 for awhile, just paid $70 to have my derailleur replaced a few weeks back and want to ride it for a little

Only use the middle one up front anyways. Can I use the stock crankset or should I upgrade the whole thing to something like this

Race Face Ride 1X NW Crankset OE > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Cranksets | Jenson USA
    You can use the stock cranks. Just make sure you get a chainring with a 104BCD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You can use the stock cranks. Just make sure you get a chainring with a 104BCD.
    Can I use the stock bolts or do I need new ones? Needs spacers?

Thanks

mtbr member
    No you will need new bolts. You can use a short set of bolts and no spacers or the standard length bolts with the spacers.

I used these and they worked fine with the 32T race face NW.

Race Face Outer Ring Bolt Set | Chain Reaction Cycles

Race Face Chainring Tab Shims | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    thanks, just ordered the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    Dirt Devil, I am having the same issue as Gamebulldog; found out that I have a 1-1/8" straight steerer tube; its been hard trying to find a very good shock like reba for my talon-4 27.5. So, cane creek makes an adapter for my bike that I can purchase a tapered shock? is it possible for you to recommend which one to bet fi my bike(Talon-4, 27.5 2013/2014 model)
    Check with your LBS, they should be able to get you the Cane Creek XX44 lower cup.

That will allow you to use a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Check with your LBS, they should be able to get you the Cane Creek XX44 lower cup.

That will allow you to use a tapered fork.
    Hello DirtDevil, yes I did; I went on cane creek website even saw the video too. I spoke to my LBS on the subject and they are going to investigate further, they just did something similar to a bike w/ cane creek headset. Again, I want to thank you very much for all information you provide.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    Thank you Cotharyus, also, which would be a better fit a 100 or 120
    Either should work fine. The Talon frame is stout enough to deal with the extra length of the 120. It's going to be personal preference, do you want the bike to be more agile (shorter wheelbase, steeper head angle) (this is stock, 100mm) or a little slower, maybe more stable, longer wheelbase with a slacker head angle (120mm).

It's worth noting, if you want new wheels and a 15mm TA you can get the Marvel with a 15mm TA. My point was it's another fork (often overlooked) that is a straight steerer and a 9mm - so you can get a quality fork that works with the stock headset and wheels. I've got a $500 wheelset on my single speed, and it's 9mm QR because it was built to be used with rigid forks, so it was hard to find a good quality fork that wasn't 15mm or tapered steerer.

mtbr member

120mm fork for free on Talon 1...

I've just done a service on the 30 Gold fork on my Talon 1 and found that the travel can be increased to 120mm, just by removing the travel spacer from the air spring!

It's in the service manual page 20

If anyone else is doing a service, be aware that the service manual and the oil chart have conflicting information on the damper oil - the service manual says 15w, but the oil chart says 5W. What came out of the damper was a dark orange colour, which *looked* like Rockshox 15W, not the straw colour of their 5W. I put 5W in - Plutoline HPX R 5 M/Cycle fork oil - as I had already bought it. I didn't check the viscosity at the time, but I have since, and it is 22.5cSt @ 40 deg C which is quite high for an oil branded as 5W. Rockshox 5W is 16cSt, and their 15W is 43cSt acording to the information in the PVD Wiki.

First impressions are very good. I find the fork much less 'choppy' over fast, rough ground and it tracks much better. How much this to do with the damping fluid change, and how much to the fresh service, I don't know, but there was nothing actually *wrong* with the fork before the service.

Whatever - it may be a cheap upgrade for someone

mtbr member
    Manitou Marvel Comp Forks - 9mmQR 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Is this the fork you are refering to?

WillWorkForTrail
    That's the one. That doesn't come with the MILO if you want remote lockout. It's an extra $60 bucks from chain reaction. Be sure and mind your options when you're selecting them. It'd be easy to miss something and get the wrong fork. I notice chain reaction doesn't have the 15TA version listed there, but there's one made if you want to go that route too.

mtbr member
    Does it come with a shock pump as well? I'm keeping the stock wheels on this bike until they're worn out. Going to upgrade the fork, cranks and the brakes, then I'll be saving for a full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Got busy today. I still have my misgivings about 1x10 but for now this is how I'll roll and if I find myself walking too much I'll go back to 2x. Oh and the fork is nice. and I almost forgot, I ran my dropper cable through the front shifter routing and it sucks. I think I cut the back housing too short and it binds in the seat clamp as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-2015-06-16-13.24.11.jpg  

WillWorkForTrail
    Does it come with a shock pump as well? I'm keeping the stock wheels on this bike until they're worn out. Going to upgrade the fork, cranks and the brakes, then I'll be saving for a full suspension bike.
    No, it doesn't come with a pump. Most forks won't, typically when they do it's because the vendor is packaging a fork with a pump at a price point to target people upgrading from coil forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Talon owners .....-dsc_0010.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Talon 3 (Rosario, Argentina)

Hi everyone, greetings from Rosario (Argentina), I attached a picture of my Talon 3 27.5

Talon owners .....-dsc_0982.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    Got busy today. I still have my misgivings about 1x10 but for now this is how I'll roll and if I find myself walking too much I'll go back to 2x. Oh and the fork is nice. and I almost forgot, I ran my dropper cable through the front shifter routing and it sucks. I think I cut the back housing too short and it binds in the seat clamp as well.
    Wish I went with white, idk why i changed my mind last minute.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    thoughts on the zee derailleur vs xt shadow + ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    thoughts on the zee derailleur vs xt shadow + ?
    I went XT. The Zee Is design as a downhill derailleur and as such is a bit beefier but also heavier, and has a more limited cassette size rage.

mtbr member
    +1 For the XT Shadow Plus. Super quiet, and fast accurate shifting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    thanks. have my setup in my cart,dont know when I feel like pulling the trigger on it. Wish I didnt get the new derailleur a few weeks back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    im thinking now about making my bike pretty with nice orange handlebar from azonic. what you think will it fit my bike color? Or should i got with cheaper version of just keeping black handlebar and buying orange grips xD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-lnk_az4agi_or-il.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_0010.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Igor9999 View Post
    im thinking now about making my bike pretty with nice orange handlebar from azonic. what you think will it fit my bike color? Or should i got with cheaper version of just keeping black handlebar and buying orange grips xD
    If the color match go for it, color grips usually look dirty and worned out when you go with light colors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If the color match go for it, color grips usually look dirty and worned out when you go with light colors.
    Color matched anodized aluminium is almost as fast as carbon fiber, especially blue I hear. Definitely a worth while upgrade.

While you're at it go wider. My stock bar was 609mm, the one I replaced it with is 785mm. I think the 785 is proving to be a bit too wide and I'll probably cut it down to 765.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How the heck do you remove this chain? have a chain breaker but cant get the chain off, is there a certain pin im looking for or?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Try harder with your breaker. Somewhere on the chain, if it's a shimano chain, there's a different pin but you should be able to break it anywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    cranked until I couldnt move it anymore and still nothing. might have to buy a different breaker

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It will seem like it's not going to go and then it will pop hard. What are you replacing the chain with? KMC and Sram chains use a power link, way easier to deal with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    what chain should I get. Was dumb and thought my set up had a 9 speed cassette for some reason. Going to just order the rest of the stuff needed for the 1x10 now.

Xt cassette
    xt shadow med. R. derailluer
    Xt shifter
    Chain?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Any 10 speed chain will work, I bought a KMC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    k than, ordered everything above and a KMC chain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    think the 8speed cassete will work on a 21speed bike? dont think it would but would be nice to take all these parts and throw them on my dads bike. Probably wont be able to sell them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    think the 8speed cassete will work on a 21speed bike? dont think it would but would be nice to take all these parts and throw them on my dads bike. Probably wont be able to sell them.
    yeah it would you just wouldn t use one last 8 gear

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    yeah it would you just wouldn t use one last 8 gear
    dang was hoping I could make him 24 speed. thanks

Couple of possible issues but with the same outcome, it will not work without changing at least some parts.

1) The cassette may noy fit the hub. Depending on the type of hub the cassette could not fit, it may have a freewheel style hub with a screw in cassette instead of a freehub.

2) Shifter, a 7spd shifter won't work with a 8spd cassette.

3) Derailleur, a 7 speed derailleur won't be able to move to the smallest cog even after adjusting the limit screws.

As you can see you get into more trouble than is worth for.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Hope Giant Talon "ADV" 27,5 2015 (Full Upgraded)

Last edited by mderosas; 06-23-2015 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Couple of possible issues but with the same outcome, it will not work without changing at least some parts.

1) The cassette may noy fit the hub. Depending on the type of hub the cassette could not fit, it may have a freewheel style hub with a screw in cassette instead of a freehub.

2) Shifter, a 7spd shifter won't work with a 8spd cassette.

3) Derailleur, a 7 speed derailleur won't be able to move to the smallest cog even after adjusting the limit screws.

As you can see you get into more trouble than is worth for.
    Thanks

Only issue is if the cassette fits as the 8 speed RD and shifter are not staying on my bike.

Like said, i didnt really expect it to work, just hoping . Will have to figure out what to do with the extra parts laying around.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen it on this thread, but you can increase the travel of the Rockshox 30 gold from 100mm to 120mm just by removing a spacer. I've done it to my Talon 1 27.5 and it works well.

Just FYI

(I thought I posted a few days ago, but it never appeared)

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterg View Post
    I haven't seen it on this thread, but you can increase the travel of the Rockshox 30 gold from 100mm to 120mm just by removing a spacer. I've done it to my Talon 1 27.5 and it works well.

Just FYI

(I thought I posted a few days ago, but it never appeared)
    how do you like it? might give it a go on the raidon

mtbr member
    how do you like it? might give it a go on the raidon
    It works for me - Certainly no down-side, and I think it rides better YMMV.

Not sure that the Raidon can be increased in the same way - or are you talking about buying one at 120mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Not sure that the Raidon can be increased in the same way - or are you talking about buying one at 120mm?
    I'm not 100% but I think it can a does work the same way. They list it as 80mm, 100mm or 120mm and only sell the one size so I would assume but you know about assumptions.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My Giant Talon "ADV" 27,5 2015 (Full Upgraded)

(Frame): Talon 2 ALUXX 27.5 Size S
    (Fork): Rock Shox 30 Gold TK 27,5 Solo Air 100MM
    (Crankset): Shimano SLX
    (Derlr Front): Shimano Deore
    (Derlr Rear): Shimano SLX Shadow +
    (Shifters): Shimano Deore
    (Brakes): Shimano SLX
    (Rotors): Shimano XTR 160MM
    (Seatpost): Giant Contact SLR (Carbon) 375MM
    (Cassette): Shimano SLX
    (Chain): Shimano XT
    (Handlebar): Giant Contact SLR (Carbon) 690MM
    (Stem): Giant Contact OD2 80MM
    (Rims/Wheels): Shimano MT35 27,5
    (Tires): Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 Kevlar 27,5 (No-Tubes)
    (Grips): Giant Lock
    (Seat): Selle Italia SLR XC Flow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-dsc_3948.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_3958.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_3949.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_3957.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_3956.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_3955.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_3952.jpg  

Last edited by mderosas; 06-23-2015 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It works for me - Certainly no down-side, and I think it rides better YMMV.

the one i bought is listed 100-120mm, didnt watch the video and the instructions kinda suck so IDk.

mtbr member
    Very Nice! How is the Rockshox for? I'm still trying to decide between the rockshox TK 30 gold, or the mantitou marvel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Whats the best why to set up the new chain? See some people going through the RD and others just going around the largest gear in the back and adding 2 links. Videos would be good as well.

Want to make sure I have everything ready for when my parts arrive friday.

i'd go manitou marvel pro, much more tunable/serviceable, customer service is great, abs+ damper is the shit, very easy to diy.

tk 30 gold = garbage

mca, large cog, large ring, add 2. if using a 40/42 cog then 3 to 4 links should be added. DO NOT go through the cage for sizing. there would be lil to no tension if you did it that way

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    i'd go manitou marvel pro, much more tunable/serviceable, customer service is great, abs+ damper is the shit, very easy to diy.

tk 30 gold = garbage
    If you sugest 30 Gold TK is Garbage are you wrong... you received what you pay, i have solo air and work pretty fine... i have in my other bike RS Pike 150mm 2015 and worth more than the complete talon, so the point... Everything depends on the price

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    mca, large cog, large ring, add 2. if using a 40/42 cog then 3 to 4 links should be added. DO NOT go through the cage for sizing. there would be lil to no tension if you did it that way
    thanks

mderosas, it's personal opinion. i've used several RS products, not a fan. you're right, the forks aren't in the same price point. the 2 were in comparison in rusty's post, so hands down the marvel will win. so if rusty can afford the marvel? that's a fork that can be rode hard and transferred for years on several different style frames (assuming 15mm axle) . where the tk 30, would stay strictly on a xc bike.

Whats the best why to set up the new chain? See some people going through the RD and others just going around the largest gear in the back and adding 2 links. Videos would be good as well.

Want to make sure I have everything ready for when my parts arrive friday.
    Large, large plus 2 links.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Blah, waited all week for my parts and now just noticed you need another tool to remove the dang crank arms more wait time, whoohoo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    looks like wed ill finally be able to install everything, kinda wish I didnt pull FD and shifter now. Suppose to rain the next few days so whatever

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Everything set up and just waiting for my crank tool to come

quick question, the cassette can only fit one way right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yup

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    thanks, just gave it another look, looked weird at the angle.

The shifter feels awesome, cant wait to get it out on the trail. Tool will be here Thursday and hopefully ill be riding friday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey guy's looking at possibly buying a Talon (1 or 2) in the next week or two and have a couple noobie questions (please don't laugh ). Firstly I need some advice on sizing as I need to special order due to my location and nothing for me to try out. Only bike I could try local was an 18.5" Norco which felt about right standing over the top tube. I'm 5'11" with about a 31-32" inseam. The dealer i'm gonna order from figured by those stats I'd be a Large, but according to the Giant sizing chart I would fit into the medium category. The place is a 3.5hr drive and just having it shipped to me so I won't be able to try it out first hand. I know it's risky but it is what it is...Next off if I couldn't get anymore noobie can I mount fenders on this? I live in the rainiest city in Canada, so when i'm using for commutes I'd like to keep the wetness at a minimum.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9" (175cm) and I brought a medium. I did get a shorter stem as I felt a little stretched. Perfect fit now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm 5' 9" (175cm) and I brought a medium. I did get a shorter stem as I felt a little stretched. Perfect fit now!
    So you think I'd be good with a medium? I don't have extra long arms either...

Quote Originally Posted by Braidster View Post
    Hey guy's looking at possibly buying a Talon (1 or 2) in the next week or two and have a couple noobie questions (please don't laugh ). Firstly I need some advice on sizing as I need to special order due to my location and nothing for me to try out. Only bike I could try local was an 18.5" Norco which felt about right standing over the top tube. I'm 5'11" with about a 31-32" inseam. The dealer i'm gonna order from figured by those stats I'd be a Large, but according to the Giant sizing chart I would fit into the medium category. The place is a 3.5hr drive and just having it shipped to me so I won't be able to try it out first hand. I know it's risky but it is what it is...Next off if I couldn't get anymore noobie can I mount fenders on this? I live in the rainiest city in Canada, so when i'm using for commutes I'd like to keep the wetness at a minimum.
    I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and even thou I'm supposed to be on a Medium currently ride a Large, the only issue for me is little to no stand over clearance. You could fit on both so is hard to recommend one size over the other, question, do you have short torso and long legs or long torso and short legs? That might be the deciding factor. The Large is about 1" longer than the Medium so if you have a short torso the Medium might the the one to choose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    im 6.1 and i drive large and i feel a bit stretched so i would say go with medium. But the best way to decide is to just go to shop and try large and medium bike and see what better fits you. Thats best way and easiest

Members who have read this thread: 134