Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 850 of 2478
  1. #801
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    manitou CS is top notch. maybe several years back when they weren't owned by hayes that was true, but it's not the case now. as far as swapping the spring well you might have to do it with any fork that has one. 2011 forks come with a medium coil and i believe are for guys around 160 lbs. 2012 and newer come with a firm & spring kits are cheap. here are a few links for you and the 1st is not just for clydes, its long but very informative. Manitou Tower Pro Fork for Clydesdales - Techical untitled1 How to guide: Reshim your ABS+ HSC shim stack

  2. #802
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ynnek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks for the input. I've read a lot of info and reviews about the nicer forks, but I was trying stay under $300. Unfortunately for me, Fox and nice RockShox are a bit out of my pricerange. I can't justify buying forks that cost more than my bike. I saw that the Manitou's have higher end components that are only seen on highend forks? In comparison to the Recon Silver's most would choose the Tower Pros, supposedly. Hoping some more people throw in their two cents before I pull the trigger. I was initially thinking used, but unless it was someone from MTBR or someone I knew, I wouldn't trust it. I'm just trying to get off the $60 OEM Suntours that came with my bike. I'd have to agree with the people that consider them "glorified pogo sticks". I didn't think I'd notice/care since I'm fairly new to MTB, but riding my friends' bikes showed me otherwise. I don't ride anything super gnarly, so I figure a decent fork upgrade will keep me happy for the life of my bike. I haven't noticed anything else (yet) that needs upgrading for my riding style/skill level.
    Last edited by ynnek; 11-25-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: additional
    2012 Giant Talon 1

  3. #803
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    A better fork takes the bike to a whole new level, my son rides his with a Marzocchi 44 TST2 and I ride mine with a RS Reba RLT. For a $300 budget look for the 44's or look into the Suntour upgrade program, the Epicon is worth considering on a tight budget.

  4. #804
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    A better fork takes the bike to a whole new level, my son rides his with a Marzocchi 44 TST2 and I ride mine with a RS Reba RLT. For a $300 budget look for the 44's or look into the Suntour upgrade program, the Epicon is worth considering on a tight budget.
    I noticed the other day, when we started discussing this topic again, that Price Point has a really great sale price right now on the Manitou Tower Pro. It was $308. If you have a standard Talon, then I think they have (or had) what you need. It was 1.125" straight steer, 100 mm travel, 9 mm QR dropouts, and black color. Looks really nice, and a heck of a price, too. It'd be a bit more than your initial budget, but not a whole lot more. I don't know where you're located, but Price Point is in southern California. If you're in CA, they'll charge you sales tax. Also, I think they charge for shipping as well. It's probably not much though. I bet you could have that Tower Pro, if they still have one in stock, for less than $350 out the door.

  5. #805
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    I noticed the other day, when we started discussing this topic again, that Price Point has a really great sale price right now on the Manitou Tower Pro. It was $308. If you have a standard Talon, then I think they have (or had) what you need. It was 1.125" straight steer, 100 mm travel, 9 mm QR dropouts, and black color. Looks really nice, and a heck of a price, too. It'd be a bit more than your initial budget, but not a whole lot more. I don't know where you're located, but Price Point is in southern California. If you're in CA, they'll charge you sales tax. Also, I think they charge for shipping as well. It's probably not much though. I bet you could have that Tower Pro, if they still have one in stock, for less than $350 out the door.
    No... I'm sorry; I was mistaken. Price Point has the Tower Pros at really great sale prices right now, but they don't have any left in 100 mm. It was Chain Reaction Cycles where I saw the combo I mentioned earlier. They still have them, too, at that price. And, CRC is free shipping to the states, and no sales tax. So, you can get what you originally asked about, for only $8 more than your original budget cap. Better hurry though... :-)

  6. #806
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ynnek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    No... I'm sorry; I was mistaken. Price Point has the Tower Pros at really great sale prices right now, but they don't have any left in 100 mm. It was Chain Reaction Cycles where I saw the combo I mentioned earlier. They still have them, too, at that price. And, CRC is free shipping to the states, and no sales tax. So, you can get what you originally asked about, for only $8 more than your original budget cap. Better hurry though... :-)

    That's exactly where I was looking. When I last looked there were still 100mm. Would there be any issues getting a 120?
    2012 Giant Talon 1

  7. #807
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    That's exactly where I was looking. When I last looked there were still 100mm. Would there be any issues getting a 120?
    I doubt there would be any issues to speak of. It'd throw off your geometry a bit. I'm sure others have done it though. I just stuck with the original 100 mm travel when I upgraded to my Reba. If you go with 120 mm, look at Price Point's offerings then. They have even better sale prices than CRC right now, and I know I saw 120 mm being offered from Price Point...

  8. #808
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    scoop it up before they are all gone. i have a 120mm x 20mm axle and used it a while on the talon and loved it. it's now on another bike and still loving it
    post 799 answered the 120mm question you have. slackens your HA 1.5* which imo is better

  9. #809
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ynnek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    post 799 answered the 120mm question you have. slackens your HA 1.5* which imo is better
    My bad. Thank you all.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

  10. #810
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    no prob

  11. #811
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    My bad. Thank you all.
    FYI... I got an email from Price Point this morning, showing different promos they're offering. One of them is free shipping on all orders over $129. It's only good for today though. Yesterday, I'm pretty sure they had brand new 2013 Manitou Tower Pro, with 1.125" straight steer, 120 mm travel, and 9 mm QR dropouts on sale for just shy of $250. Your only color choice would be white, however. If you don't live in CA, then there shouldn't be sales tax applied, either. So, if they still have one, and you don't mind white, you could get what you want today, and save a fair amount of money under your budget cap while doing it. At $250, I think they're saying that's like half-price or thereabout...

  12. #812
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Hi, I am new on this forum, and considering upgrading forks on my Talon 27.5
    what do you guys think about this one?
    30 Gold TK | SRAM,
    I think 2014 Talon 27.5 1 comes with this forks, Anyone have experience with this?

  13. #813
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22

    added some parts to my '12 Talon 29er

    My previous post was on page 10, since then I added race face ride crank, easton ea70 front wheel and fulcrum red power xl rear wheel (I did not care about matching wheels since I got the set for right at $200) Avid BB7 front/rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-photo-26-.jpg  


  14. #814
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by xyounx View Post
    Hi, I am new on this forum, and considering upgrading forks on my Talon 27.5
    what do you guys think about this one?
    30 Gold TK | SRAM,
    I think 2014 Talon 27.5 1 comes with this forks, Anyone have experience with this?
    i'd ride it until it broke. it doesn't have many bells and whistles, but at least it is air sprung so you can adjust it to your weight. read small bump compliance is nodda, but thats to be expected on entry level equipment.

  15. #815
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080
    Price Point has the 80-140mm Tower Pros on sale for $249 today. And the 80-100mm Tower Pros on sale for $299. Fyi.

  16. #816
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    30
    Just took my first ride on my new 100mm Tower Pros today. A went with the 15qr (required a new front wheel). Man, what a difference! Still messing with settings but it's night and day over the stock junk that came on the bike.

  17. #817
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080
    No pics? Lame.

  18. #818
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Did my final upgrades of the year, replaced the rear derailleur jock wheels and replaced the OE headset.

    Now it also has blue accents on the rear d.


    For the headset used a Giant replacement part made for the XTC that's compatible with the Talon's headtube, the downside is that had to replace the black cups with silver ones; the steering now is smooth like buttah.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 12-16-2013 at 03:31 PM.

  19. #819
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Did my final upgrades of the year, replaced the rear derailleur jock wheels and replaced the OE headset.

    Now is also has blue accents on the rear d.


    For the headset used a Giant replacement part made for the XTC that's compatible with the Talon's headtube, the downside is that had to replace the black cups with silver ones; the steering now is smooth like buttah.
    Good deal! What size(s) did you end up with on the headset? I tried to get a new headset for mine, about 3 - 4 weeks ago, but the deal fell through on it. After numerous inquiries to several LBSs and Giant itself, nobody could/would definitively tell me what size new headset I would need. So, I gave up on it, for now.

  20. #820
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Good deal! What size(s) did you end up with on the headset? I tried to get a new headset for mine, about 3 - 4 weeks ago, but the deal fell through on it. After numerous inquiries to several LBSs and Giant itself, nobody could/would definitively tell me what size new headset I would need. So, I gave up on it, for now.
    The same thing happened to me, neither FSA or the Giant dealer could tell which headset will work or the headtube ID. Emailed a former ridding buddy that part times on a Giant shop and he found out that the older XTC headset was compatible and mail it to me. If you want can take a pic of the headset package so you can try to get it from your shop thru the Giant parts network.

  21. #821
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The same thing happened to me, neither FSA or the Giant dealer could tell which headset will work or the headtube ID. Emailed a former ridding buddy that part times on a Giant shop and he found out that the older XTC headset was compatible and mail it to me. If you want can take a pic of the headset package so you can try to get it from your shop thru the Giant parts network.
    Yeah, that might be good (a pic or two), if you don't mind and have the free time. I don't even know what type I need; not for sure anyway. I haven't taken mine apart. The LBS I was working with didn't offer to do that, either. Supposedly, they're pretty sure the top portion is the 44 mm zero stack type, but they're not sure of the bottom portion. At least that's what I was told anyway. They told me they were going to try to find out for sure, and then call me on it again. However, I've never heard back from them since. I guess they either forgot about me, or that's their way of saying it's proving to be more trouble than it's worth. It more or less blows my mind that a Giant rep doesn't even know, for sure. I was told the Giant rep started to provide a Giant-brand headset part number, when asked about it. Then, he was told that we want to know the equivalent by Cane Creek, as far as proper size and type are concerned. He couldn't answer that though. Seems to me that if you have a part number for a new Giant headset that Giant says will fit the Talon, why can't we just cross reference the size(s) from it and figure out what would be needed from Cane Creek? Anyway, I dunno... I never would've dreamed that it'd be this much trouble. I guess it's a good thing that, right now, I just want a new one, but don't have to have a new one. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be able to ride. :-)

  22. #822
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Its a shame that I didn't documented the process and took measurements, just removed the old and installed the new; the most troublesome part was to remove the old cups with my home made headset cup remover.

    Will post a pic of the box as soon as possible.

  23. #823
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    its 44mm zero stack.

  24. #824
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    its 44mm zero stack.
    Fish, thanks for the info. Are you positive on this? Standard 44 mm zero stack, both top and bottom?

  25. #825
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    yes and if you go to cane creek they have a guide for fitment.

  26. #826
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Is the same size top and bottom and is a zero stack headset.

    This what I replaced mine with, sealed cartridge bearings instead of retainer bearings.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 12-18-2013 at 10:22 AM.

  27. #827
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Is the same size top and bottom and is a zero stack headset.

    This what I replaced mine with, sealed cartridge bearings instead of retainer bearings.
    Cool!!! Thanks a lot, DiRt DeViL. Looks like zero stack it is then. The Cane Creek and Chris King zero stack versions only come in one ID insertion flavor, too, with that being 44 mm. Also, Fish had mentioned to dig deeper on Cane Creek's site, so I did and I found a chart (not the interactive fit tool) that states that straight head tubes with a 50 mm OD should be 44 mm ID. I've measured my head tube OD at right about 50 mm as well. So, via deductive reasoning, it can't really be anything else, but zero stack 44. Think I might just order one myself, online, and take it to an LBS when it comes in and pay them to install it, rather than fooling around with an LBS trying to figure it out again (and possibly coming up empty handed again, on their own).

  28. #828
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Glad to help, can't go wrong with CC or CK.

  29. #829
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Anyone know what type of bottom bracket the 2012 Talon frame has? Specs on Giant's web site say only "SRAM GXP." But, is it a threaded design, or a press-fit design? More specifically, I want to know if Shimano's Deore XT crankset, with BB-SM70 bottom bracket, will fit the 2012 Talon frame's BB shell. Specs for the Shimano BB-SM70 say that it will fit 68 and 73 mm wide BB shells. I've measured my BB shell, and it's exactly 73 mm wide. Most of the press-fit stuff I've seen are spec'd to fit wider shells than that.

  30. #830
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    it's a 73mm english thread

  31. #831
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    it's a 73mm english thread
    And that xt crank and bob will fit. Put one spacer on the drive side...

  32. #832
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Thanks, guys, on my BB questions!

  33. #833
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    As mentioned before 73mm shell. If you use external bearings use 1 spacer on the drive side.

  34. #834
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    36
    I started getting chain suck on my 2012. Im at about 500 miles on it and I wonder if a new chain will fix it or if I need to plan on a new BB. I don't see any hooks on the teeth that would hang the chain up, then again it's not a very good BB.

  35. #835
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    510
    You shouldn't be getting chain suck at 500 miles. You could try measuring your chain for wear.
    Instead of BB I think you mean front chain rings and they shouldn't be an issue either at that distance. Is it possible that this happens mostly when using small chain ring on the front and back at the same time? That's not a good combination to ride in as there's almost no tension on the derailleur.

    Look here at the description of "chain suck" just to make sure it is indeed what you have. If so there's helpful info here.
    GTA
    Ontario

  36. #836
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    36
    Yes, front chain rings. It happend to me the other day only on climbing, small ring up front/big in the back and there was 4" of snow. I had thought that I was collecting ice / mud, etc... Thanks for the link and I have looked at that. What I might do is diagnose and measure. I am betting that it is the chain is streched.

  37. #837
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    510
    The mud and ice can do that to the best of chains. If it's still within tolerance then chock it up to a random incident.
    Edit to add... When measuring your chain for wear, also measure the overall length and calculate the ideal length it should be. I just remembered mine came too long and I had to remove a link or two.
    Here's an easy method. HEREChain Length Calculator
    GTA
    Ontario

  38. #838
    Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    In addition to verifying the chain length you can slightly put extra tension by screwing in the B adjust screw.

  39. #839
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    510
    I was going to get rid of this bike as I bought a Speci Epic Comp Carbon this fall and figured I wouldn't need 2 bikes.

    2 weeks ago at -30 temps the rear suspension on the Epic broke and I've had to ride the Talon while they send the shock away for repair. It only took the first ride to realize that I'd be a fool to get rid of such a great fun to ride bike. Components and suspension aside, it feels better than my $4400 FS.

    I'm thinking this spring I'll replace the crappy wheelset (the hubs are garbage) and crank (for a 2x) and look for a lighter fork on sale so there will be no reason not to rotate between the bikes.




    GTA
    Ontario

  40. #840
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    I was going to get rid of this bike as I bought a Speci Epic Comp Carbon this fall and figured I wouldn't need 2 bikes.

    2 weeks ago at -30 temps the rear suspension on the Epic broke and I've had to ride the Talon while they send the shock away for repair. It only took the first ride to realize that I'd be a fool to get rid of such a great fun to ride bike. Components and suspension aside, it feels better than my $4400 FS.

    I'm thinking this spring I'll replace the crappy wheelset (the hubs are garbage) and crank (for a 2x) and look for a lighter fork on sale so there will be no reason not to rotate between the bikes.




    Geez... Just look at all of that snow! And, that minus-30 temp you mentioned, too! In contrast, I keep asking myself if it's really January, under sunny skies and mid-70's temps lately...

    I want an FS of some sort, also, eventually. No way I'll be getting rid of my Talon when/after it's done, either. You've made a very wise decision...

  41. #841
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    I swapped out my OEM chain for a new one a while back. I have a 2012 Talon 0, and it came with a SRAM 951 chain. The new chain I put on it is a SRAM 991 Cross Step. Very noticeable, positive difference in smoothness/easier-shifting with the new chain. Didn't change anything other than the chain, either.

  42. #842
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    175
    The hubs on this bike are garbage. I already replaced the wheels on mine and it was well worth it. Looking to do the crankset and fork eventually depending on which one wears out first. Love everything else about the bike.

    I put Easton EA70s on my bike. Couldn't be happier with them. They are stiff, light, they roll forever and I got a great deal on them. Plus, I can go tubeless without and fuss whenever I choose.

  43. #843
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    69
    Noobsauce, here.

    So, Talmonster says ďitís too cold Sunday-letís go mountain biking.Ē Now, my mountain bike is 30 years old and weighs 40 pounds with its fenders, Pletscher carrier and panniers. So, while it does have the virtue of not being stolen out of the train station rack, when some weasel jacked 36 bikes over two months a few years ago, I didnít want to risk its health (or mine) at its (and mine) advanced age.

    Quick trip to Hilltop with the checkbook and a new Talon 4 27.5 was in the back of the truck. When I got home, it stayed there while I went out on the road with my rain bike. Thatís where I got into real trouble. Thought to myself, I never wanted second best components on the road so why would I want less on the trail? I had about 28 miles to ruminate that Friday afternoon. When I got home, I phoned the shop and told them that I wanted to upgrade. Back to shop with checkbook and back home with the Talon 1. Feel better.

    Compulsive upgrading has begun already after 10 rides. The seat on the Talon 1 wasnít the same shape as my Selle Italia scranus, so it was the first to go. Then, the LBS provided carbon bars. They convey less vibration and, so, are more comfortable. The 2.4 inch Conti Trail Kings with protection are on the rims. Now I just have to get 10 times better so I can justify a $1k wheelset. That should take a while.

    Or not. I just asked Hilltop to build me a set of tubeless rims on Hopes that are wider and lighter. While the T1 is in the shop, we might as well put a carbon seat post on it and turn it into a 2x10 so it actually shifts cleanly. A new crankset is a logical mate to this upgrade.

    From what I have read here, a new fork would be an improvement over the Rockshox XC30 that is OEM. Why would a Reba be better than a Revelation? Others to consider are the Fox line and the Manitou Control Tower or the Marzocchi TST2. Any advice would be appreciated.

  44. #844
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    510
    Did someone say "upgrades"?
    The Talon is now officially unstoppable!
    Got some cheap 29ers and made some tires for the maze of icy paths around the city and doing catwalks on the skating rink.

    Did 25k of ice path today. Heavy rolling resistance but ice no longer affects my performance.





    GTA
    Ontario

  45. #845
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by thegock View Post
    Noobsauce, here.



    From what I have read here, a new fork would be an improvement over the Rockshox XC30 that is OEM. Why would a Reba be better than a Revelation? Others to consider are the Fox line and the Manitou Control Tower or the Marzocchi TST2. Any advice would be appreciated.
    My advice to you is to replace and upgrade as you wear the stock stuff out unless it's ruining your ride. While you get better over your first season you'll crash it, mess up gears, break levers, wear out hubs and tires, bend rims, etc. Better to do it on the stock stuff you already paid for while you figure out what suits you best instead of upgrading based on what others have found they needed.
    If you go and upgrade everything on the bike right away you might as well have just paid $1400 for that frame.
    GTA
    Ontario

  46. #846
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by thegock View Post
    Noobsauce, here.

    So, Talmonster says ďitís too cold Sunday-letís go mountain biking.Ē Now, my mountain bike is 30 years old and weighs 40 pounds with its fenders, Pletscher carrier and panniers. So, while it does have the virtue of not being stolen out of the train station rack, when some weasel jacked 36 bikes over two months a few years ago, I didnít want to risk its health (or mine) at its (and mine) advanced age.

    Quick trip to Hilltop with the checkbook and a new Talon 4 27.5 was in the back of the truck. When I got home, it stayed there while I went out on the road with my rain bike. Thatís where I got into real trouble. Thought to myself, I never wanted second best components on the road so why would I want less on the trail? I had about 28 miles to ruminate that Friday afternoon. When I got home, I phoned the shop and told them that I wanted to upgrade. Back to shop with checkbook and back home with the Talon 1. Feel better.

    Compulsive upgrading has begun already after 10 rides. The seat on the Talon 1 wasnít the same shape as my Selle Italia scranus, so it was the first to go. Then, the LBS provided carbon bars. They convey less vibration and, so, are more comfortable. The 2.4 inch Conti Trail Kings with protection are on the rims. Now I just have to get 10 times better so I can justify a $1k wheelset. That should take a while.

    Or not. I just asked Hilltop to build me a set of tubeless rims on Hopes that are wider and lighter. While the T1 is in the shop, we might as well put a carbon seat post on it and turn it into a 2x10 so it actually shifts cleanly. A new crankset is a logical mate to this upgrade.

    From what I have read here, a new fork would be an improvement over the Rockshox XC30 that is OEM. Why would a Reba be better than a Revelation? Others to consider are the Fox line and the Manitou Control Tower or the Marzocchi TST2. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Sweet, but you should have gone 1x10... Ditch that front der, shifter and cables, get a 32t front n/w chainring and clutch rear der, you will be glad you did...

  47. #847
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    ^^^+1 just make sure you get a n/w ring

  48. #848
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    ^^^+1 just make sure you get a n/w ring

    Thanks for the advice.

    I have ordered the wheels so far. They are Hope hubs on 25mm internal width rims.

    Also pulled the trigger on the FD/cranks, because I have a medically (first bad crash on tenth mtb ride) induced one month vacation from the trail. The shifter and FD are SLX and the cranks and rings are XT.

    The climbs that I do sometime might be impossible for me on a 1x10 unless I upgraded the cassette and the RD and my 35 year younger much stronger rider friend runs a 2x10 for the same reason. LBS guys are going build it in a few days.

    For now, I will pass on a fork upgrade and a carbon seat post.

    My plan is to enter the Bearcat MASS 50 mile race in June to see what I can do.
    Last edited by thegock; 02-01-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: New info

  49. #849
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080
    I think my next upgrade is wheel set for sure. Thinking some Hope hubs/Archex rims. With that and a new seat, I think I'm all set. Loving this ride.

  50. #850
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by thegock View Post
    Noobsauce, here.

    So, Talmonster says ďitís too cold Sunday-letís go mountain biking.Ē Now, my mountain bike is 30 years old and weighs 40 pounds with its fenders, Pletscher carrier and panniers. So, while it does have the virtue of not being stolen out of the train station rack, when some weasel jacked 36 bikes over two months a few years ago, I didnít want to risk its health (or mine) at its (and mine) advanced age.

    Quick trip to Hilltop with the checkbook and a new Talon 4 27.5 was in the back of the truck. When I got home, it stayed there while I went out on the road with my rain bike. Thatís where I got into real trouble. Thought to myself, I never wanted second best components on the road so why would I want less on the trail? I had about 28 miles to ruminate that Friday afternoon. When I got home, I phoned the shop and told them that I wanted to upgrade. Back to shop with checkbook and back home with the Talon 1. Feel better.

    Compulsive upgrading has begun already after 10 rides. The seat on the Talon 1 wasnít the same shape as my Selle Italia scranus, so it was the first to go. Then, the LBS provided carbon bars. They convey less vibration and, so, are more comfortable. The 2.4 inch Conti Trail Kings with protection are on the rims. Now I just have to get 10 times better so I can justify a $1k wheelset. That should take a while.

    Or not. I just asked Hilltop to build me a set of tubeless rims on Hopes that are wider and lighter. While the T1 is in the shop, we might as well put a carbon seat post on it and turn it into a 2x10 so it actually shifts cleanly. A new crankset is a logical mate to this upgrade.

    From what I have read here, a new fork would be an improvement over the Rockshox XC30 that is OEM. Why would a Reba be better than a Revelation? Others to consider are the Fox line and the Manitou Control Tower or the Marzocchi TST2. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Sounds like me, looking in a mirror here...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •