Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

I shaved 2.2 lbs off of my T2 just swapping the fork out to a Recon Gold. Can't believe I waited as long as I did. The difference in feel is incredible. I think once I get a new wheel set I'm going to just enjoy it for a couple years. I'm hoping to get it under 30 lbs and closer to 26 or 27...its sitting at 30.8 right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought my first MTB, the Talon 0, last fall. At 210 lbs., it took me about 3 rides to figure out the fork wasn't cutting it. Saw a NIB Reba with shock pump at BlueSky for $360......what a difference. I paid $900 out the door my '12 Talon, so for $1260 total, I'm pretty happy with the bike. Glad I bought it then because I've haven't seen them nowhere near that price now.

mtbr member

Best looking cheap bike there ever was.......

I was a roadie for about 5 minutes. I swapped a LeMond Tourmalet for a nearly new 09 Talon 29er. I'd had my eye on the Talon frame for a while. The 17 inch had great lines and I really liked the way the top tube tapered down to nothing at the seat tube. You don't normally get shaping like that at entry level. So, over the next six months or so I stepped up the wheels, and all the other parts and planned to race it in the Chequamegon 40 as a 1x9. Best laid plans though - the organizers jacked the entry to >$100 and I figured I'd bow out this year - mostly on principle. Anyway, I have a nice hardtail now that I am most enamored with - Iceman here I come - see attached.
    Talon owners .....-dscn1979.jpg
    No conventional wisdom, just current wisdom. Reinvented knowledge that is seldom relevant as the variable landscape is vast.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I shaved 2.2 lbs off of my T2 just swapping the fork out to a Recon Gold. Can't believe I waited as long as I did. The difference in feel is incredible. I think once I get a new wheel set I'm going to just enjoy it for a couple years. I'm hoping to get it under 30 lbs and closer to 26 or 27...its sitting at 30.8 right now.
    Forgot to include a pic:

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i got a 2012 talon 0 29er also love the frame wheels and brakes hate the fork went tubeless in front tire but kept the tube in rear rides better also im 6'4" 300 lbs+

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I love my T2 with s passion. Its great value meets quick and nimble awesomeness. The fork is where you shave the first couple of pounds. Traded my suntour xct with a Manitou Tower Pro. So plush and forgiving when landing my heavyarse down hills. At 6'3" 280 I can relate to the heavier set weekend warriors. Its amazing the thin and lightweight frame is superman strong enough for aggressive riding. Giant rider for life. Oh going tubeless is a must. Pays for itself after a couple of flats and smoothes out the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just ordered a 2013 Talon 1. Cant wait for it to show up (hopefully this weekend). Anyone have any issues with this one yet? I'm sure the fork will be changed quickly, possibly brakes.

Thanks
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My 0

Talon owners .....-talon.jpg

Went for it's first real trail today on it's new wheels(Arch EX/White Industries hubs/PG 990 cassette), tires(Captain Control), X9 groupset, stem(RF Turbine) and bars(Answer Pro Taper).........getting pretty light and along with the Reba fork I got last fall, rides really nice.

mtbr member
    I signed up for this forum a while ago but I've not posted. I have a 2012 specialized hard rock 29er right now that I have as an electric commuter. Lately I've really been getting the itch for some mountain biking though. I'm deciding between the talon 0, spec rockhopper and the trek mamba. I'm like 95% talon though. Basically waiting on a test ride to know for sure. My Giant dealer is really cool though. He's about the only regular lbs that will work on my ebike. The others are pretty rude about it. They also do lifetime adjustments which is really nice. I know most mtbers have negative thoughts on ebikes, but it has worked well for me to commute back and forth to work on, and has saved me a ton of $ over the F150 I was driving.

Anyway. Probably getting the talon in early May. I can't wait!! I've enjoyed reading through this entire thread. I probably won't upgrade too much right away but probably the pedals, seat & tubeless. Might do the ghetto tubeless but my lbs only wants $60 to do it so I might have them do it.

Anyway. Glad to be a part of such a great group.

Jason

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonf150 View Post
    I signed up for this forum a while ago but I've not posted. I have a 2012 specialized hard rock 29er right now that I have as an electric commuter. Lately I've really been getting the itch for some mountain biking though. I'm deciding between the talon 0, spec rockhopper and the trek mamba. I'm like 95% talon though. Basically waiting on a test ride to know for sure. My Giant dealer is really cool though. He's about the only regular lbs that will work on my ebike. The others are pretty rude about it. They also do lifetime adjustments which is really nice. I know most mtbers have negative thoughts on ebikes, but it has worked well for me to commute back and forth to work on, and has saved me a ton of $ over the F150 I was driving.

Anyway. Probably getting the talon in early May. I can't wait!! I've enjoyed reading through this entire thread. I probably won't upgrade too much right away but probably the pedals, seat & tubeless. Might do the ghetto tubeless but my lbs only wants $60 to do it so I might have them do it.

Anyway. Glad to be a part of such a great group.

Jason
    I think you will be really happy with the Talon. I have always had Specialized. With that being said I rode several new bikes, including the Rockhopper. The Talon just felt better to me. Actually dissapointed me as I had my mind set on a rockhopper! Today I get to go pick up my new Talon that I ordered.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xmks View Post
    With that being said I rode several new bikes, including the Rockhopper.
    Ya the RH and the Talon are really the only bikes on my list. I threw in the Trek so I'd have a list of 3. I'll still ride it to test, along with a Novara from REI. There are also some little things, like the cost of the tubeless. I called the Specialized dealer, which is a lot farther away than Giant, and he said he couldn't convert the RH rims to tubeless. Also, I called REI and they wanted like $120 to convert the Ponderosa. And with the lifetime adjustments and how nice the guys are about adjusting my ebike, I really want to give them my biz.

mtbr member
    From your 3 options the Talon has the most bang for your buck plus the lifetime adjustments, no brainer IMO.

Any rim can be converted with strips or ghetto.

mtbr member
    The 2013 Talon 0 comes with the Rock Shox XC30 fork. Is that a pretty good improvement over the 2012 0's Rock Shox XC28 and the SR's and Suntour's from some other models? Or are they pretty similar?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It will be stiffer due to the increase in diameter, but will likely perform the same as far as damping is concerned. If you're over 180 lbs., you may look to replace it sooner rather than later, which is the case for all forks at this price point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Talon owners, I'm about to buy a Talon 1 but it's last years model (2012 Edition). Is $710 a good price? I love the feel of this bike, might just have to upgrade the fork eventually from what I read on the reviews.

squish, squish in da fish
    i have a '12 T1 & paid $869 before tax so yeah I'd take it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    i have a '12 T1 & paid $869 before tax so yeah I'd take it.
    That's what i initially thought. I really want to get this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sounds like a great deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dualbiker View Post
    Hey Talon owners, I'm about to buy a Talon 1 but it's last years model (2012 Edition). Is $710 a good price? I love the feel of this bike, might just have to upgrade the fork eventually from what I read on the reviews.
    Go for it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just picked up and rode my new 13' Talon 1 29er! Great bike, love everything about it except the front fork. Other than that I love the bike! Such a huge improvement (to me) over my 07 Rockhopper. Pics coming soon.

mtbr member
    Check out the suntour loyalty upgrade program. You can pick up a nice fork from Suntour to replace that lower end one with for next to nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Question for you talon owners. I'm looking at getting the 2013 talon 0 pretty soon. Comes with a RockShox XC30 fork. Doesn't seem to be considered a great fork. I'm wondering, would this fork: ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork 100mm White Shocks NEW: 350166 Random Bike Parts be compatible with the Talon? Seems like a pretty good price, for a decent fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Check out the suntour loyalty upgrade program. You can pick up a nice fork from Suntour to replace that lower end one with for next to nothing.
    Define "next to nothing?"

My suntour on my 2012 Talon 1 is clanging a little and seems less effective. It skips up and down leaving horizontal lines at regular intervals on the uprights.

Would LOVE a new fork but cant do $200+ for one.

LOVE this bike (and I have tried many other out there) but REALLY need something done with the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Question for you talon owners. I'm looking at getting the 2013 talon 0 pretty soon. Comes with a RockShox XC30 fork. Doesn't seem to be considered a great fork. I'm wondering, would this fork: ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork 100mm White Shocks NEW: 350166 Random Bike Parts be compatible with the Talon? Seems like a pretty good price, for a decent fork.
    You should check out the X-fusion Slide 29. It is comparable to the recon gold and can be found for ~250. I bought mine from a reputable dealer on e-bay for that much. I really like mine a lot. Very plush and well constructed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    That's a good looking shock. More along the spec lines I was looking for. Really want away from coil spring set ups.

Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast